[B]Top 5 All-Time Detroit Pistons[/B] (KStat where ya at)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 90'sNBARocked
    LovingTeamDipo!
    • Nov 2009

Re: Top 5 All-Time Detroit Pistons (KStat where ya at)

Originally posted by Kstat
    He shouldn't be on anybody's top-10 list. He was never one of the two best guards on his own team.

You could have an entire pool of 2nd-tier guys, though. He'd be on it, along with Long, Sheed, Tayshaun, Dantley, Tripuka, etc.
    Who do you thinkn brought more to the success of the Pistons Richard Hamilton or Vinne Johnson?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Comment

• Peck
      Administrator
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 90'sNBARocked
      Who do you thinkn brought more to the success of the Pistons Richard Hamilton or Vinne Johnson?
      I'm not Kstat but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night & I can tell you with 100% conviction that the starting shooting guard on an NBA title team brought more success than the back up guard to two of the greatest guards to ever play did.

I like Vinnie a lot but let's not get carried away here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Kstat
        Rebound King
        • Jan 2004

Richard Hamilton scored more playoff points than any Piston ever. More than Zeke, more than Joe, more than Chauncey. Vinnie was maybe the most productive 3rd guard in playoff history, but the fact remains he was a 3rd guard.
        Last edited by Kstat; 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
        Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
        NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Comment

• 90'sNBARocked
          LovingTeamDipo!
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kstat
          Richard Hamilton scored more playoff points than any Piston ever. More than Zeke, more than Joe, more than Chauncey. Vinnie was maybe the most productive 3rd guard in playoff history, but the fat remains he was a 3rd guard.
          I guess I stretched it a lot, but I remember him being so clutch and underated during their run in the late 80's
          Sittin on top of the world!

Comment

• Kstat
            Rebound King
            • Jan 2004

I guess I stretched it a lot, but I remember him being so clutch and underated during their run in the late 80's
            He was, and absolutely deserved to have his number retired. I'm jut putting things in perspective. he was really good because he played behind Joe and Zeke.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
            Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
            NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Comment

• shags
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Peck
              It just goes to show you though why they have 3 titles & several conf. finals to their names and we only have conf. finals & runner up series.

Look at the number of quality players on that roster and then try and name 10 Pacers who could match up.

The honerable mention group is probably better than almost any of the top 10 players we would throw out there, with a couple of exceptions.

It's funny because unlike L.A. or Boston they have not been able to buy their way into a title. They have always either drafted very wisely or made very astute trades.
              And while I hate circling around to the lockout in this thread, but this is why I refuse to use the small market or non-ideal location excuse (if you can even consider Detroit a small market).

The Pistons have proven, twice, that you can contend for a championship without being a "glory" franchise if you have good management. As a Piston fan, I couldn't have asked for anything more from my team from 2002-2008 (or 1987 - 1992).

Comment

• BillS
                Angry Old Poster
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by shags
                The Pistons have proven, twice, that you can contend for a championship without being a "glory" franchise if you have good management. As a Piston fan, I couldn't have asked for anything more from my team from 2002-2008 (or 1987 - 1992).
                Some of us aren't saying it is impossible, just that the small markets have to be nearly perfect in order to do so, while the big markets have to be almost completely incompetent NOT to contend.

I would also point out that the salary and movement situation in 1987-1992 is so far removed from today as to almost be incomparable.
                BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Working...