X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hicks
    • Jun 2004

Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

Mike Wells, IndyStar.com

Vogel, whom Bird called the front-runner last week, and most of his assistant coaches will not be in attendance today.

Bird doesn't want to send the wrong message to other potential candidates about Vogel's status. Vogel didn't attend last week's pre-draft event in Chicago with Bird, either.

"I'm talking to some people and I'm talking to (Vogel)," Bird said. "When these guys come in, I don't want them to think he's going to be the coach."

When will Bird make the decision on the coach? That's to be determined. He said he is taking his time with the process.

One possible candidate -- former Pacers assistant Mike Brown -- is no longer on the market. He agreed to become the Los Angeles Lakers coach Wednesday.

Bird, who is tight-lipped about the process, has talked to several candidates on the phone but said he has not interviewed any outside candidates in person.

Vogel has had several conversations with Bird and also will get the last interview during the search.

Vogel will be asked to upgrade his coaching staff if he expects to earn the permanent job.

Longtime NBA coach Rick Adelman and Dallas assistant Dwane Casey are other candidates in whom the Pacers have expressed interest.

Pacers owner Herb Simon likely would have to pay more money for Adelman than Vogel or Casey.

Casey remains on the Pacers' radar, but they have yet to talk to him because the Mavericks are still in the playoffs.

Casey, a respected longtime assistant, is also in the running for jobs in Houston and Golden State.

"Dwane Casey would be a great hire for Houston, Golden State or Indiana," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle told the Dallas Morning News earlier this week. "His communication skills, experience and work ethic would be a tremendous asset to any franchise."
  • Unclebuck
    Administrator
    • Jan 2004

Re: Bird has talked to 'several candidates' on the phone, only Vogel in person

I'm talking to some people and I'm talking to (Vogel)," Bird said. "When these guys come in, I don't want them to think he's going to be the coach."
    That easily could be taken out of context.

Am I wrong to assume that the longer this goes on the less likely it is that Vogel will be the coach?

Comment

• ballism
      Over the pond
      • Oct 2010

Vogel will be asked to upgrade his coaching staff if he expects to earn the permanent job.
      This pretty much eliminates any concerns I had about this coaching search. If it's either Vogel with experienced assistants, or Adelman / Casey, I'm not worried either way.

Before, I was worried that we've only seen Vogel and his staff during a "nothing to lose", post O'Brien euphoria. And he / his staff was bound to show the lack of experience next year.

Comment

• Speed
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ballism
        This pretty much eliminates any concerns I had about this coaching search. If it's either Vogel with experienced assistants, or Adelman / Casey, I'm not worried either way.

Before, I was worried that we've only seen Vogel and his staff during a "nothing to lose", post O'Brien euphoria. And he / his staff was bound to show the lack of experience next year.
        Made me wonder about cost though. Is hiring Adelman cheaper than hiring Vogel and an Associate Head coach type?

Speaking of Adelman, I heard JMV say he doesn't have an agent and would be negotiating for himself, I found this interesting. Wonder how that effect his cost.

I wonder if they think Dwayne Casey would need an experienced staff, too?

I completely agree though, you need to get a really vet savvy assistant coaching group in here, I think you have enough young guys that this would be pretty valuable.

Comment

• vnzla81
          • Jul 2008

Yep more phone interviews ......
          @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• ballism
            Over the pond
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Unclebuck

Am I wrong to assume that the longer this goes on the less likely it is that Vogel will be the coach?
            I don't think so. I think Bird just knows that Vogel isn't going anywhere, so why not do your due diligence. The worst outcome for the management is if Bird rushes with this, signs Vogel right away and the team fails badly next year. That would make the management look bad, as if they were making decisions based on emotion.

I think Bird takes pride in being calm and thorough in all his management decisions.

If Vogel was in high demand from other teams, and Bird still took it slow, then sure, I'd think Bird doesn't want him that much.
            Now, I think it's just Bird being Bird.

Comment

• Unclebuck
              Administrator
              • Jan 2004

My gut tells me it won't be Adelman. I doubt he'll want to coach here - just doesn't seem a good fit for him or the Pacers. I would put Brian Shaw as a more likely head coach here and Casey

Comment

• ballism
                Over the pond
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Speed
                Made me wonder about cost though. Is hiring Adelman cheaper than hiring Vogel and an Associate Head coach type?

Speaking of Adelman, I heard JMV say he doesn't have an agent and would be negotiating for himself, I found this interesting. Wonder how that effect his cost.

I wonder if they think Dwayne Casey would need an experienced staff, too?

I completely agree though, you need to get a really vet savvy assistant coaching group in here, I think you have enough young guys that this would be pretty valuable.
                Interesting. Sounds like someone who will take the team he likes the most. As opposed to making the good career move / squeezing out as much $ as possible / getting the biggest job.
                Pure speculation of course - maybe he just doesn't like agents. Has he had one before?

Comment

• Anthem
                  White and Nerdy
                  • Jan 2004

Funny, I was thinking the opposite.
                  This space for rent.

Comment

• glazedham42
                    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT!
                    • Feb 2011

I think the fact that Adelman doesn't have an agent working for him, would make it that much more appealing to Bird. It would be more like a good ol' boy handshake agreement between Bird and Adelman, without the sleazy lawyer types being involved. Bird seems to be the kind of guy who likes to avoid the red tape whenever possible.

Not saying that Adelman's lack of an agent would be a deciding factor, but I can see the scenario being a good fit for Larry's personality.

Comment

• imawhat
                      Bring Back David West
                      • Aug 2006

How do you go about building a new coaching staff when you've spent your entire NBA career with O'Brien?

Who do you ask to be on your staff?

It seems like a big challenge. I'd love to know who'd work for Vogel.

Comment

• PacerGuy
                        Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan
                        • Mar 2008

Is this driven by the Mav's run?
                        Is Larry's relationship w/ Carlisle swaying him towards Casey?
                        "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
                        (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Comment

• Speed
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by imawhat
                          How do you go about building a new coaching staff when you've spent your entire NBA career with O'Brien?

Who do you ask to be on your staff?

It seems like a big challenge. I'd love to know who'd work for Vogel.
                          My thought too, you beat me to it. I wonder if there are any other guys who were active under Pitino that might be a "Vogel guy".

Comment

• naptownmenace
                            • Jan 2004

My gut tells me it won't be Adelman. I doubt he'll want to coach here - just doesn't seem a good fit for him or the Pacers. I would put Brian Shaw as a more likely head coach here and Casey
                            I keep forgetting that Brian Shaw was a teammate of Larry Bird when he was drafted by the Celtics.

I like Shaw. He was such a clutch player. He killed the Pacers multiple time during the playoffs when he was with Boston, Orlando, and the Lakers so it would be nice to have him on our side for a change.

Comment

• Speed
                              • Jan 2006

Would Shaw try to bring in the Triangle? I don't understand it enough to know if it would fit the personnel here.

It seems like it requires a low post threat to operate efficiently, which would mean you'd have to have Roy or I guess Hansbrough on the court at all times, as currently constructed?

Comment

Working...