"We tried some things with coach O'Brien that I was on board with. Those weren't working."

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bball
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did
    • Jan 2004

"We tried some things with coach O'Brien that I was on board with. Those weren't working."

Pacers' new blue-collar mentality is a hit

MIAMI -- The only things missing when the Indiana Pacers take the court are their hard hats, jeans and lunch pails.

The Pacers may not look like blue-collar workers, but they are playing with that spirit lately.

The days of being a finesse, jump-shooting team are slowly going away. They have replaced that style with a more rugged mentality.

It seems to be working, too, as the Pacers are 4-0 since Frank Vogel took over as coach for the fired Jim O'Brien last week.

The Pacers will have their hands full tonight, though, when they take on the Miami Heat.

"I've been trying to figure out the best use of our talent for 31/2 years," Vogel said.

"We tried some things with coach O'Brien that I was on board with. Those weren't working. This is an approach I think is necessary to try. I believe it's working."

Pacers forward Danny Granger was dressing after Sunday's victory over the New Jersey Nets and pointed across the locker room at the players he feels are responsible for changing their style -- Josh McRoberts and Tyler Hansbrough.

"They're rugged, smash-mouth players," Granger said. "We're using them to our advantage, where previously power forward was looked at as our weakness."

McRoberts is an athletic, highflier who can handle the ball like a guard. Hansbrough has a motor that never stops and is known to get under the skin of opponents.

Hansbrough and McRoberts team with centers Roy Hibbert and Jeff Foster in the frontcourt.

"Since the coaching change, they're not looking to shoot the 3(-pointer) as much," New Jersey coach Avery Johnson said of the Pacers' new approach.

"They're still capable, but they're looking to play more inside out than outside in. With the four horses they have inside, those guys understand what their jobs are. There's no child's play inside the paint with those guys."

The Pacers are holding teams to 41 percent shooting and outrebounding them by 14.5 during the past four games.

It was that style that helped the Pacers get off to a solid start.

"The old adage in the NBA is that you win with defense and rebounding," swingman Mike Dunleavy said.

"That's what coach is trying to stress to us. We need to win in the trenches. That's what we did at the start. I think we're trying to take advantage of our strengths."

Vogel said the Pacers are still an offensive-minded team. They have scored at least 100 points in each of his games as coach.

It's how they get those points that's different.

Vogel simplified the offense and moved Hibbert from the foul line area to the low post.

"We're in the process of changing the identity of our team," Vogel said. "We're not just a defensive team. We're going to have poise and patience offensively."

Who gets Wade?

Vogel said he has not decided who will guard Miami's Dwyane Wade.

O'Brien often moved Dunleavy to the bench when the Pacers faced an explosive scorer on the wing. That could open the door for rookie Paul George to start.

Indy Star- Mike Wells

Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden
  • BringJackBack
    • Jun 2010

Re: "We tried some things with coach O'Brien that I was on board with. Those weren't working."

How do you guys think our rebounding vs. their rebounding will play into this game?

Comment

• Kemo
      PD's Resident Horror Icon
      • Dec 2007

Re: "We tried some things with coach O'Brien that I was on board with. Those weren't working."

If Danny and Paul can somewhat contain Lebron and Wade, we will really need Roy and the "Bruise Bros." to impose their energy, hustle, and will in the paint if we are to win this game..

I think it can be done, as Miami really wouldn't have an answer for us at the 4 and 5 spot IMO ...
      I don't think Bosh is much to worry about, as long as we can keep out of foul trouble.. He is gonna go for the easy buckets.... aka ft's from drawing fouls.. since he is somewhat injured and not even close to 100%

Not to mention our P.G. position is CLEARLY better than theirs by leaps and bounds..

I think Dahntay can really help in this game at the wing to try and contain Lebron and/or Wade since Rush is gonna be out as far as I know.. I think after his performance last game , DJ has earned some minutes tonight IMHO
      Last edited by Kemo; 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM.
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

• MaHa3000
        • Jan 2005

I'm calling it right now. We will beat the Heat. We will out rebound them and hold them to around 41% shooting.

Comment

• ZepZach
          • Nov 2009

Who is this man?!? Is he a basketball angel?

Seriously, even beyond this season, this is exactly how our team should play. This is INDIANA. We don't play that wimpy three point, finesse, motion basketball. We play INDIANA basketball. We go straight at you, and never back down. We rule the paint. If you want to win, it's a guarantee you'll have to work for it. The team should represent our city, and in my opinion we are a hard working city.

This all SHOULD have begun right after DG's teeth were knocked out. I know he's on board. I know Tyler and Josh are on board. PG24 is ready. Big Roy is ready to prove his tougness.

I'm still unsure if Vogel should be coach next year, but i really really hope his vision of this team continues.

More now than ever, GO PACERS!!!

Comment

• sportfireman
            • Jul 2009

If Rush isn't ready to play. Then hopefully we can see D. Jones and P.George on Wade. Please no Dunleavy!!!
            I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the esteem of Elohim,
            Ephisians 4: 32 And be kind towards one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as Elohim also forgave you in Messiah.

Comment

• Justin Tyme
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by sportfireman

If Rush isn't ready to play. Then hopefully we can see D. Jones and P.George on Wade. Please no Dunleavy!!!

So if Dun isn't playing against Wade, are you advocating he not play at all, b/u SF in relieve of Granger against James, or only minimum minutes to rest players?

Comment

• colts19
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sportfireman
                I'm not off the Dunleavy bandwagon. I think he gets to much of the blame. He was a product of the Jim Obe coaching and his defense has been much better since Vogel took over. It is still his weakness, but it is better. Add to that all the other things that he does and he is still an important part of the team.

I have been saying for years that this team needs an identity and I think we are now finally getting one. It appears that the only people who new we should be playing tyler and Josh were the people on this board. They are our identity.
                Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
                -- Frank Vogel.

Comment

• MyFavMartin
                  This team is Fun!
                  • Oct 2007

For continuity sake, start Dun... just decrease his minutes and let DWade chase him around the court for a while... then bring in Rush and George to finish him off...

It'll be interesting if DC2 and Roy step up...

Comment

• McKeyFan
                    Intuition over Integers
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kemo
                    "Bruise Bros."
                    Hey, that's got potential.

Animal Crackers is fun, but won't be used publicly, too controversial.

But Bruise Brothers is fitting, and could even include Foster. All three white guys.

"Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• xIndyFan
                      • Dec 2010

it will also be interesting to see how josh and tyler do vs bosh. bosh is not a power player, but he is much more skilled and talented that either josh or tyler. as long as the heat do not try to post the pacer PF, things should be ok. but i am worried that putting bosh in the post [or near post like danny does] will result in easy shots for MIA.

mike might spend some time guarding mike miller, he is getting 20 mpg.

Comment

• Hicks
                        • Jun 2004

Especially in big games, I worry about early foul trouble. Nothing sucks the energy out of the room faster than watching the weaker of the two teams get a bunch of early fouls, essentially ruining their chances at competing. I think if we were to start Paul George tonight, he could easily get hit with 2 quick fouls if he's not very careful.

Comment

• troyc11a
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by MaHa3000
                          I'm calling it right now. We will beat the Heat. We will out rebound them and hold them to around 41% shooting.
                          Man, I love your enthusiasm! Hopefully you will be right!

Comment

• sportfireman
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Justin Tyme
                            So if Dun isn't playing against Wade, are you advocating he not play at all, b/u SF in relieve of Granger against James, or only minimum minutes to rest players?
                            I don't like Dun's defense at all. And his offense will not make up for his lack defense against LeBron or Wade. I say play him very little. I just don't like Dun. Never have. Use Granger, Jones and George as the wings. IMO
                            I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the esteem of Elohim,
                            Ephisians 4: 32 And be kind towards one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as Elohim also forgave you in Messiah.

Comment

• duke dynamite
                              #IndyForever
                              • Dec 2006

I have a feeling we'll compete hard in this game. Maybe not well enough for a win, but we'll give them a run or two.

With that said, who wouldn't love to say, "We beat the Heat twice on their own floor!"

Even if we lose, I am still happy to say that we are 4-1 under Vogel. That is impressive by far compared to what we could've been if O'Brien was still at the helm. If that were the case, I'm sure we would've lost the Portland game and Sunday's game at NJ, no doubt.

Comment

Working...