Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueNGold
    Banned
    • Aug 2005

Re: Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

Originally posted by JOb
    We feel Earl is better in that situation until proven differently," O'Brien said. "Right now, I think Brandon is struggling. I don't think he's playing as well as he would like to play. Keep in mind, he's only in his second year and we have a chance to have a veteran presence out there. That's the reason we're doing it."

Not too pleased about his teammates decision, Ford, who was just 1-of-5 from the field and had five turnovers, flung his arms in frustration in the corner.

O'Brien agreed with Ford because he told Jones to do a better job of seeing the court after the turnover.
    This excerpt tells it all. JOb is stroking Ford because otherwise it's Tinsley II. Ford could be as frustrated as he wants to be and D Jones' mother is still a better basketball player. D Jones has earned enough rope where you just let that one go. What a joke!

...and JOb claims he benched Rush for Earl Watson...a veteran presence. Well, that conversation ignores the fact that TJ does less to win games than either Watson or Rush.

Here's the grade card:

TJ:
    Defense: F Offense:C-

Rush:
    Defense B+ Offense F

Which grade card to you want? Neither player is very good right now...but many people including JOb...sorry but it's true...are more focused on offense. That's why he loves players like Troy and picks a player like TJ over Rush....and why he never thinks to put McBob in there to at least slow down some people. Instead, he puts a 6'4" SG on a 6'9" PF. What a joke!

...and the thought that TJ was ever supposed to guard Larry Hughes is laughable. Our other players probably missed assignments because they had to help with that mismatch. Ford is a shrimp and has no business guarding a 6'5" long armed scoring SG like Hughes. Granger probably has a tough enough time with Hughes. It's just silly.

By the way, I noted last night that JOb was prepping Rush for the bench...to get his boy Murphy back in the saddle. Mark it down. Murphy will be starting very, very soon. Sure, Rush hasn't shot well...but that is one single aspect of his game....and you all know what happened at the end of the year last year. Bench the guy a few games into the season. I don't use this word often, but that's just stupid. Rush could start taking off at any time....and that's the problem...the Pacers don't want 20 million in salary sitting on the bench. That's why playing TJ and Troy over players that win games is allowed.

The talk about defense will be complete lip service if JOb continues to start TJ and Murphy and gives them 30+ minutes a game. We will be a bad team if that happens and you will not see that swarming defense again this year. Well, at least the players will have a long summer to rest.

People are going to look back on this stretch and claim it was a fluke. Other people are going to know the truth.

Comment

• GuffeyRay
      Banned
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by BlueNGold
      This excerpt tells it all. JOb is stroking Ford because otherwise it's Tinsley II. Ford could be as frustrated as he wants to be and D Jones' mother is still a better basketball player. D Jones has earned enough rope where you just let that one go. What a joke!

...and JOb claims he benched Rush for Earl Watson...a veteran presence. Well, that conversation ignores the fact that TJ does less to win games than either Watson or Rush.

Here's the grade card:

TJ:
      Defense: F Offense:C-

Rush:
      Defense B+ Offense F

Which grade card to you want? Neither player is very good right now...but many people including JOb...sorry but it's true...are more focused on offense. That's why he loves players like Troy and picks a player like TJ over Rush....and why he never thinks to put McBob in there to at least slow down some people. Instead, he puts a 6'4" SG on a 6'9" PF. What a joke!

...and the thought that TJ was ever supposed to guard Larry Hughes is laughable. Our other players probably missed assignments because they had to help with that mismatch. Ford is a shrimp and has no business guarding a 6'5" long armed scoring SG like Hughes. Granger probably has a tough enough time with Hughes. It's just silly.

By the way, I noted last night that JOb was prepping Rush for the bench...to get his boy Murphy back in the saddle. Mark it down. Murphy will be starting very, very soon. Sure, Rush hasn't shot well...but that is one single aspect of his game....and you all know what happened at the end of the year last year. Bench the guy a few games into the season. I don't use this word often, but that's just stupid. Rush could start taking off at any time....and that's the problem...the Pacers don't want 20 million in salary sitting on the bench. That's why playing TJ and Troy over players that win games is allowed.

The talk about defense will be complete lip service if JOb continues to start TJ and Murphy and gives them 30+ minutes a game. We will be a bad team if that happens and you will not see that swarming defense again this year. Well, at least the players will have a long summer to rest.

People are going to look back on this stretch and claim it was a fluke. Other people are going to know the truth.

Sheeeshh enough of the Murph bashing, he is a Pacer the last time I checked.

Comment

• JayRedd
        It Might Be a Soft J
        • May 2006

Mark it down. Murphy will be starting very, very soon.
        He's the third best player on the roster. Of course he starts.
        Read my Pacers blog:
        8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

• Hicks
          • Jun 2004

An F for Ford's defense? Really? I haven't focused on him specifically as much as I'd need to to really do this justice, but I've seen enough to know he's doing some good things out there. The worst I'd give him is a C- right now on D.

Comment

• MyFavMartin
            This team is Fun!
            • Oct 2007

Sounds like we stopped moving the ball on offense and that's when NY's defense started to look so good.

Comment

• nerveghost
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Unclebuck
              I liked what he said to the fan. The fan made a stupid comment
              i agree. i thought it was awesome.

Comment

• BlueNGold
                Banned
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by JayRedd
                Who is he better than here?: D Jones, Dunleavy and Granger

Personally, I think Hibbert is already a more important player...and that Murphy is arguably #4 or #5...and that's being kind and ignoring how well Earl Watson is shooting the ball as well as doing that strange thing called defense.

Comment

• Trophy
                  • Mar 2009

You and I think alike Jay.

Comment

• Trophy
                    • Mar 2009

Who is he better than here?: D Jones, Dunleavy and Granger

Personally, I think Hibbert is already a more important player...and that Murphy is arguably #4 or #5...and that's being kind and ignoring how well Earl Watson is shooting the ball as well as doing that strange thing called defense.
                    Troy plays good ball everynight and it's almost a guarantee that's he'll play well. Much like Danny, he is trusted to play well every game.

Comment

• Cherokee
                      • Aug 2006

You're right Jay, but you're fighting a losing argument. No matter what Murphy does, some people are going to hate him. It's become a Hoosier sport, you know.

Comment

• BlueNGold
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Cherokee
                        You're right Jay, but you're fighting a losing argument. No matter what Murphy does, some people are going to hate him. It's become a Hoosier sport, you know.
                        Even a hater like me can enjoy his rebounding, consistent ability to put up double doubles, I like the guy for who he is, he can shoot the three well, etc. I get that.

The problem is, he is a weak link on defense that makes it very difficult to win many games....and make the playoffs, particularly down the stretch when his 3 pointer starts coming up short. He simply cannot get out on the floor and put pressure on his man.

Otherwise, he is a very good player. I would love him to come off the bench for 20 minutes a game.

Comment

• Trophy
                          • Mar 2009

Even a hater like me can enjoy his rebounding, consistent ability to put up double doubles, I like the guy for who he is, he can shoot the three well, etc. I get that.

The problem is, he is a weak link on defense that makes it very difficult to win many games....and make the playoffs, particularly down the stretch when his 3 pointer starts coming up short. He simply cannot get out on the floor and put pressure on his man.

Otherwise, he is a very good player. I would love him to come off the bench for 20 minutes a game.
                          I really would like to know why many people hate him? Why do you hate him?

Comment

• vnzla81
                            • Jul 2008

I agree with this
                            @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• BlueNGold
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Trophy
                              I really would like to know why many people hate him? Why do you hate him?
                              Let me try to be as precise as possible. There are two main reasons:

1) He does not make the guy he defends uncomfortable at all. He allows the opposition to move freely, make cuts and make plays.

2) He gets weaker on offense just when you need to get stronger. He is the anti-Reggie Miller.

Otherwise he does lots and lots of good things, but the two items I list are recognized at least intuitively by his detractors. They overwhelm his positives at the very worst time of the game.

The fact we went on a winning streak without him and had a better record last year without him are merely signs that can be written off. If you don't see these issues as huge, you will never agree with his detractors.

Comment

• D-BONE
                                Peace Dog
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by NuffSaid
                                I've noticed this, too. I think JOB is trying to use BRush as a spot-up jump shooter. I'm not sure if that's BRush's game, but I do know he's a very good slasher along the baseline. He can get to the basket. Problem is, we already have Dahntey, TJ and Watson all trying to do the same thing - slice to the basket. Granger gets in the elbow coming off curls or just by finding his way into the lanes. BRush is left kinda hanging out there. You have to wonder if that's by design or if he really doesn't understand fully what he's suppose to do in certain situations. Hence, the reason he looks lost out there most nights.
                                I'm still not sold on Rush being able to do this 15 ppg or more night in and night out. He may have it in him based on the way ended last season, but we don't really know.

Often when I watch him I see more of a D. McKey type contributor, which others have suggested before here. Can score sometimes, but not comfortable being relied upon for that amount of offensive production every game.

I think a perfect role for Rush would be as a defensive player first priority who provided maybe no more than a fourth option offensively where consistency is required. Ideally, I see him more as a get in where you fit in, ride him when he's hot offensive guy. You'd be better off assuming those games are gravy on top of his defensive impact.
                                I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Working...