Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duke dynamite
    #IndyForever
    • Dec 2006

Re: Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)

Originally posted by BillS
    I like it because it shows JOB is in some ways just as frustrated and unhappy with the situation as the fans are.
    We're all one big, unhappy family!

Comment

• Thesterovic
      We need John Wall.
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by duke dynamite
      We can't bench everyone. You need to look at it this way, up until last night, wait...more specifically the second half of last night everyone was doing what they were supposed to. Shots were falling, defensive patters were working. We were a well-oiled machine.

How come everyone is taking away from that? We worked ourselves too hard and allowed them to come back. You'll have a game or two like that a season. Heck maybe four. We don't have enough *good* bodies to rotate in and out right now.

So far so good. We are 5 and 4. We've come out the past two weeks in a complete turn-around from the first three games. We're going to lose, guys. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen a lot more after tonight. You can only blow it up so many times and expect to get either the same or worse results.
      Nah I've felt this way for a while. I feel that when bench players are almost always playing better than starters, they should get a chance. But I aint no coach.
      "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Comment

• trey
        • Dec 2008

If he really said that to the fan, my guess is the fan said more than just "put granger back in".

Comment

• BillS
          Angry Old Poster
          • Mar 2004

I also think if you are going to ride anyone from your seat as a spectator you'd better be prepared for them to answer back.

There was no cursing, and there was probably a lower level of rudeness than the fan was showing. You'll note the fan is paraphrased, not quoted.
          BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
          Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

• pacergod2
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BillS
            Why? He's a human being and no matter how professional you are you are going to get frustrated when someone rides you for not doing something ridiculous.

I think this was actually a pretty appropriate, and to say it's a short step from telling someone to shut up to going into the stands and beating them up is a bit silly.

I like it because it shows JOB is in some ways just as frustrated and unhappy with the situation as the fans are.
            Wow, I am surprised on your take on this Bill. I respectfully REALLY disagree with you on this one.

As for the brawl thing, I said it when I mentioned it, that it is the same premise, not the same circumstance. There should be no reaction by JOB, period, IMO.

Maybe JOB is frustrated because he knows how bad of a job he is doing (not that I believe this.. just the same speculation that you used).
            "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Comment

• Sollozzo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by duke dynamite
              I think they already had a good idea why. What JOB did last night isn't going to change anything.
              True, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. But it's still classless to tell someone to "shut up" when they aren't (to my knowledge, at least) saying anything insulting toward you or players. And it's just flat out stupid when you take into account that it's a PACER FAN that he directed it to. Not a wise thing to do when you are begging people to come back.

Comment

• pacergod2
                • Apr 2008

If the fan really was wasted and screaming profanity laced tirades at the players and insulting their wives and mothers.... then just tell one of your assistants to get security and get the guy banished from the game. Every other fan will be more than understanding at that point and it won't create a classless PR situation.
                "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Comment

• Trophy
                  • Mar 2009

Brandon is playing very much like he did the beginning of last season. It's a poor shooting that he will get out of soon. We all know he can shoot. He was making shots after shots the middle to the end of last season. He'll come around and will retain the SG spot despite Mike returning.

Comment

• Sollozzo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Trophy
                    Brandon is playing very much like he did the beginning of last season. It's a poor shooting that he will get out of soon. We all know he can shoot. He was making shots after shots the middle to the end of last season. He'll come around and will retain the SG spot despite Mike returning.

It's not the fact that he's in a shooting slump that bugs us, it's that he isn't driving to the basket.

Comment

• BillS
                      Angry Old Poster
                      • Mar 2004

I guess I get tired of people who think that because they are fans they know more than the coach and can heap abuse on him from directly behind the bench.

I think they need to be aware that someone might just answer them, and I don't see how it is franchise-killing to have this kind of answer - especially since it explained why he wasn't putting Granger back in.

As always, we weren't sitting down there. Wells likes to spin things so as to stir the pot, and I suspect a little of this is just that.

I really do think that if we're at the stage where the fans will desert the team because the coach answered a fan and told him to shut up, without foul language or even doing more than looking at him, then we probably should go ahead and move the team. It's turning into the franchise equivalent of walking on eggshells. Next thing we'll be having a "text your vote" request to the fans for advice every time out so they can feel more a part of the game.

It is a fan's right to yell out things at the team and coach as long as you aren't disrupting people around you - heck, I do it from my seat all the time. But, if you're being a jerk, sometimes someone is going to answer you, and you need to take it like a grown-up. If I said something stupid and a player or coach called me on it and told me to shut up, I'd be duly chastised and embarrassed, but I wouldn't bail on the team.
                      BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                      Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

• NuffSaid
                        • Mar 2006

Here's the reality of the situation as I see it concerning both BRush and the Pacers...

Their first 3 games were against quality teams - Hawks, Heat, Nuggets. Then we come up against some of the weaker teams from last year and this young season - Warriors, Nets, Wizards, Knicks - with one quality team in between - Celtics.

This was the Pacers' first back-to-back series. And up until the 7 min. mark of the 4Q, the Pacers were poised to win their 6th straight game. But they couldn't pull it off.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I recorded it and will review it later tonight, but from everything I've read and in looking at the box scores, it's clear that once Granger fouled out we had nothing else in the tank. Post game reports indicate my boyz couldn't feed the low-post to Hibbert, and it was obvious from the box scores our Guards weren't hitting a thing let alone the broad side of a barn.

Wells' article is dead on about BRush. He hasn't provided the offense I'd hoped he would in order to take the pressure off Granger. We've been fortunate to get the unexpected offensive production out of Dahntey Jones. Unfortunately, what most people don't take into consideration is when you move a player like Granger over to PF, you no longer have that perimeter defender. Instead, Granger's primary defensive role becomes that of a post-shot blocker and rebounder. We've been fortunate since JOB went small and moved him to PF that Granger's been able to score 20+ ppg. But if you take a step back and really look at our situation as it relates to available players on the floor and what positions they're playing, you quickly realize that Granger's the only player playing out of position. Sooner or later, that was going to catch up to this team. Last night was the night.

How did the Knicks make their comeback? Through Al Harrington who we all know has become a fairly decent perimeter shooter and by getting to the FT line. Al's streaky, but last night just so happened to be his night. Per post-game reports, he happened to find his stroke at just the right time. Still, I ask who's assignment was it to guard him? Granger...w/5 fouls? Or Dahntey w/only 4 fouls? If it was Granger, you had to know he couldn't play Al too aggressive, but you also have to know Granger can't leave the paint unprotected from his position at PF, not unless the Pacers were in man-D. If they were in a zone defense, the question truly becomes was it the ideal defense to implement against a bigger, stronger player who can also make jump shots from downtown?

I think fatigue, deep foul trouble (for Granger) and Granger playing out of position were major factors for the Pacers losing last night. Add to that the fact that none of our Guards could score and you have a recipe for a losing situation that was bound to happen against a team that loves to run as much as the Pacers do. Still, the one element that wasn't in the Pacers' favor but I believe would have helped them ride out that last minute run is depth, and right now the Pacers don't have it as far as skilled players are concerned. Once Foster, Dunleavy and Murphy return we'll see a different ball club, one that will be able to ride out the types of runs the Knicks put on my boyz last night.

The Knicks got lucky. But here's hoping the Pacers learned a valuable lesson: When you have a team by the throat and your best player goes down, somebody else needs to step up! That apparently didn't happen last night.
                        Last edited by NuffSaid; 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Trophy
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Adam1987
                          It's not the fact that he's in a shooting slump that bugs us, it's that he isn't driving to the basket.
                          I've been waiting for that as well. It was something that he did well in college and more importantly it was something he did well with us last year so we know that he has the ability to drive in for the dunk.

I like Brandon and I really hope that he returns to his regular self soon. He's a very important player to this young team. He's looked at as our possible future starting SG here.

Comment

• Hicks
                            • Jun 2004

I can appreciate where Jim is coming from in that situation, but he shouldn't have said it.

The best solution would have been for another, close by fan to say what Jim said for him.

Comment

• Trophy
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Hicks
                              I can appreciate where Jim is coming from in that situation, but he shouldn't have said it.

The best solution would have been for another, close by fan to say what Jim said for him.
                              I wonder if that fan that told Jim to bring in Danny is a PD member?

I wouldn't even question Jim during a time like that. You already know that he's stressed out and I'm sure he doesn't need a fan telling him how to do his job.

Comment

• OakMoses
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by NuffSaid
                                The Knicks got lucky. But here's hoping the Pacers learned a valuable lesson: When you have a team by the throat and your best player goes down, somebody else needs to step up! That apparently didn't happen last night.
                                We took our hands off their throat well before Granger fouled out.
                                "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

Working...