• Show
Clear All
  • duke dynamite
    #IndyForever
    • Dec 2006

Billy Keller Hired as "Shot Director"

From Caught in the Web:
    Conrad Brunner

Josh McRoberts said he's pretty sure he attended one of Billy Keller's camps during his youth, but "I was so young, I really don't remember."

Which is fine, because he's getting the Keller experience now.

The former 3-point marksman from the team's ABA era, Keller has joined the Pacers' basketball operations staff, specializing in his passion: fixing wayward shooting strokes.

"He's a hell of a shooting instructor," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "Larry (Bird) thought it would be a great idea and I seconded it without any hesitation. It's great to have a former player be a part of our staff."

A former Indiana Mr. Basketball from Washington High who starred at Purdue, Keller spent seven seasons with the Pacers from 1969-76, winning three ABA championship rings. He ranks second to Reggie Miller in franchise history in 3-pointers made with 506 and fifth in free-throw percentage at .872. Keller ranks second in ABA history in both categories.

He runs a number of youth basketball camps and has produced a video, "The Lost Art of Shooting."

Former ABA legend Mel Daniels, the Pacers' Director of Player Personnel, recommended Keller as a possible shooting instructor to team President Larry Bird, who liked the idea. The original plan was to have Keller work exclusively with McRoberts, but O'Brien wanted him to work with rookies Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush, as well. Veteran Maceo Baston also approached Keller, asking for assistance.

"It kind of snowballed," Keller said, "into a full-time situation."

O'Brien has been impressed with the results.

"I think he turned Roy's shot around in about a week," he said. "And I think Mace really feels comfortable with the improvements he's making. I think Brandon's shooting the basketball well and I think Josh is going to take a little while longer but it's going to pay major dividends for him."

The most obvious improvement has come from Hibbert, who started the season 5-of-16 from the line (.313) but has gone 32-of-43 since (.744). Hibbert started 28-of-65 from the field (.431) but has gone 62-of-111 since (.559).

"Roy was a real heavy slinger, if that makes sense," Keller said. "He actually would sling the ball to the basket. You can't get the ball up in the air and you can't get any finesse with that. So what we did was totally restructured his shot, if you will, and he has probably responded quicker than anybody else in the things we're doing."

Though Rush has been inconsistent with his shot (.390 from the field, but a respectable .363 from the 3-point line), he was in the playing rotation much of the season, even starting five games. But with Mike Dunleavy's return to health, the minutes available to Rush dissipated. So Keller has gone to work on his stroke.

"As I've told him, every three that he shoots, he shoots short because he doesn't follow through," Keller said. "I thought about trying to make some adjustments with him earlier but he was in the rotation, he was playing a lot and you just don't want to mess too much with a guy's shot when he's in the rotation and playing a lot of minutes. Now he's in a situation where I think we can work with him and it's not really going to affect too much his minutes or how he'll shoot in a ballgame."

The key for McRoberts has been developing consistency in his shooting motion. Keller's approach has been more fine-tuning than total overhaul.

"He's been working with me before and after practice," McRoberts said. "I'm trying to get more consistent on my shot, trying to get up as many shots as possible. Obviously, having the knowledge he has, I try to pick up as much as I can from him."

Keller, who has the title Director of Player Development, is passionate about teaching the fundamentals of a good shooting stroke. It's been something of a life mission. When he's asked a question or two about the basics, his face lights up, his voice rises just a bit and he speaks authoritatively yet clearly about the mechanics.

Once what he calls the "shooting-ready position" is established, the player needs to drive through the ball, extending the elbow in much the same motion as when making a one-handed pass.

Though he has spent much of his time working with much younger players, Keller has experienced no problems communicating with his new students in the NBA.

"The four guys I'm working with right now have been super," he said. "They've been very receptive, very much interested in what I'm trying to do with them. We've really had fun with it and they're really good guys. I've found that I'm enjoying it even more because they're receptive."
    I really don't think we need any help with 3s. I would like for us to work on some defense and ball handling.
  • Bball
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did
    • Jan 2004

Re: Billy Keller Hired as "Shot Director"

I was tempted to make a snippy comment about getting Roy outside the arc for some 3's, but really, reading the article it just seems he's working on their shooting mechanics so that could be a midrange game or anything really...

...Although I bet O'Brien is salivating at the idea of getting Roy outside of the paint and behind the arc for some 3's!
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

• imawhat
      Bring Back David West
      • Aug 2006

edited
      Last edited by imawhat; 02-06-2009, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Raoul Duke
        • Oct 2007

Billy can shoot and he's a great teacher. I went to quite a few of his shooting camps when I was younger and they were awesome. I have great form now. This really is great news.

Comment

• MagicRat
          ENABEABLER
          • Jan 2004

I had noticed him behind the bench for the last several games and assumed he had been hired in some capacity but hadn't seen anything about it. Good to see him working with the team. Hopefully he can help cultivate a team full of Raoul Duke-esque shooters.......
          Last edited by MagicRat; 02-06-2009, 01:41 AM.
          PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

• Raoul Duke
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MagicRat
            I had noticed him behind the bench for the last several games and assumed he had been hired in some capacity but hadn't seen anything about it. Good to see him working with the team. Hopefully he can help cultivate a team full of Raoul Duke-esqe shooters.......
            Haha, you have no idea!

Comment

• RamBo_Lamar
              • Aug 2006

Billy Keller was one of my absolute favorite players back in those days.

The guy was absolutely deadly...

Very nice seeing the Pacers bringing him in to contribute to the cause.

Comment

• sweabs

...yet we don't hire a big man coach.

You knew someone was going to say it.

Comment

• McKeyFan
                  Intuition over Integers
                  • Jan 2004

We need to hire Darryl Dawkins to teach Roy how to dunk like a gorilla.
                  "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• LG33
                    • Jul 2006

Dikembe Mutombo hired as Shot Redirector.

Comment

• Putnam
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by McKeyFan
                      We need to hire Darryl Dawkins to teach Roy how to dunk like a gorilla.

You know what else was extraordinary about Dawkins? He was the most prolific fouler in NBA history.
                      And I won't be here to see the day
                      It all dries up and blows away
                      I'd hang around just to see
                      But they never had much use for me
                      In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Comment

• Speed
                        • Jan 2006

My Father went to Washington Highschool with him, so I'm biased and my son went to his camp, but I love the guy. He really knows his stuff. He's all of 5'7" 5'8" maybe.

Comment

• RWB
                          • May 2004

Nice move by the Ps and I'm really happy for Billy Keller. I've had the opportunity to talk to Bill every summer for the last 20 years or so. He was always proud to have been associated with the Pacers and cherished his part of it. However there was one exception and that was two years ago. I asked him what's going on with the team and was surprised to get such a straight forward answer.

Bill Keller Pacer legend didn't hold back. He said "That's not the Pacers, that's a bunch of knuckleheads, an embarassment to our team and the state. Darnell, Neto and Mel all feel the same and could just spit out nails over this".

So it's good to know BKeller feels good enough to be back with his team and Keller is a straight enough fellow that if it wasn't he would not be doing this.
                          You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

• McKeyFan
                            Intuition over Integers
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Putnam
                            You know what else was extraordinary about Dawkins? He was the most prolific fouler in NBA history.
                            Then maybe they already hired him.
                            "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• count55
                              100 Miles from the B
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by RWB
                              Nice move by the Ps and I'm really happy for Billy Keller. I've had the opportunity to talk to Bill every summer for the last 20 years or so. He was always proud to have been associated with the Pacers and cherished his part of it. However there was one exception and that was two years ago. I asked him what's going on with the team and was surprised to get such a straight forward answer.

Bill Keller Pacer legend didn't hold back. He said "That's not the Pacers, that's a bunch of knuckleheads, an embarassment to our team and the state. Darnell, Neto and Mel all feel the same and could just spit out nails over this".

So it's good to know BKeller feels good enough to be back with his team and Keller is a straight enough fellow that if it wasn't he would not be doing this.
                              My son attended Billy Keller's Holiday camp at the Fieldhouse (in Fishers) in December. It was a good camp, but it was a treat for me. As a small child, Billy was my first favorite Pacer. He was "short like me" and hit a half-court shot in the first game I saw.

Anyway, the first day of camp, he had to leave a few minutes early because he was working with "Josh McRoberts, Roy Hibbert, Maceo Baston, and Brandon Bush (sic)." Anyway, I got to chat with him briefly over the next couple of days, then had about a 10-minute conversation with him the morning after we had lost at home to the Hawks.

First, he's just a genuinely nice human being. Courteous, decent, and friendly. Second, he is a very good shooter and coach. His 8-step shooting technique isn't slickly marketed, but he gets results.

Finally, he does seem to like the players on this team. He was relatively effusive about them as people, and he finished up by saying they were "good guys working hard."

Yes, they need more talent, but when you're in a position where everything needs to be fixed, it's nice to see progress on some fronts.

Also, I can see his impact on Roy, particularly with free throws. When I first saw Roy shoot free throws, I was reminded of an old Manute Bol story. When another player (possibly Barkley) was told that Manute Bol had killed a lion with a spear in Africa, the player said it was more likely that he killed the lion with a free throw. Hibbert shot free throws as if he thought the intent was to knock the rim from the backboard. The last few times, he's shown a very nice touch.

Comment

Working...