Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merz
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by McKeyFan
    I guess good defense trumps good offense.
    Or maybe, inversely, bad defense trumps bad offense.

Comment

• Peck
      Administrator
      • Jan 2004

I'm not sure there is anything to learn from this game in particular. Sometimes teams have bad nights, sometimes other teams have great nights and sometimes those nights happen to collide. That being said, the Orlando Magic are a nightmare matchup for us. If we played 10 times I'm curious if we could win 4 of them. Not because they are significantly better than us but they are just everything we are not. They are longer than us at every position other than center and they are far more physical than we are. Now just like every other team that depends on three point shooting, when you hit a lot at a high clip you can compete vs anyone. However when you are not, you tend to not only not win you don't compete. Well one of the things Orlando did last night was run us off the line and we had very few open three point attempts and ended up shooting 26% from behind the arc.

Our team desperately needs some length and strength on the roster. Wagner is an athletic, mobile 6'10" wing. We just cannot counter that with two players (Mathruin and Nesmith) who are 6'5" tall with almost no other alternative. He just kept getting basket after basket right at the rim and we had no way of stopping it.

But fortunately the NBA does not have a ton of teams that are built like them so we won't look like this all the time. We have to give them all of the credit in the world, their defense was the key and our lack of defense was an even bigger key.

Fortunately it only counts as one loss so let's regroup and try and tackle the Hawks.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

• Rogco
        Undefeated
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rimrattler
        It's time to move on from some of the players. Myles and Buddy in particular. They simply do not play winning basketball. Too often this team plays to their opponents level or worse. And like Herb, I like this little team. I like Myles and Buddy, but nice guys don't always win. The team needs some toughness and someone who is willing to get in other players faces when they are playing like garbage.
        The sad thing is Theis would have been an excellent placeholder center. Trade Myles and Buddy with an eye to getting a good PF, have Theis and sticks man the center.
        Danger Zone

Comment

• Nuntius
          • Jan 2012

We played an awful game last night. I think that all of our losses this year have been pretty bad. When we're bad, we really are bad.
          Originally posted by IrishPacer
          Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

• owl
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Peck
            I'm not sure there is anything to learn from this game in particular. Sometimes teams have bad nights, sometimes other teams have great nights and sometimes those nights happen to collide. That being said, the Orlando Magic are a nightmare matchup for us. If we played 10 times I'm curious if we could win 4 of them. Not because they are significantly better than us but they are just everything we are not. They are longer than us at every position other than center and they are far more physical than we are. Now just like every other team that depends on three point shooting, when you hit a lot at a high clip you can compete vs anyone. However when you are not, you tend to not only not win you don't compete. Well one of the things Orlando did last night was run us off the line and we had very few open three point attempts and ended up shooting 26% from behind the arc.

Our team desperately needs some length and strength on the roster. Wagner is an athletic, mobile 6'10" wing. We just cannot counter that with two players (Mathruin and Nesmith) who are 6'5" tall with almost no other alternative. He just kept getting basket after basket right at the rim and we had no way of stopping it.

But fortunately the NBA does not have a ton of teams that are built like them so we won't look like this all the time. We have to give them all of the credit in the world, their defense was the key and our lack of defense was an even bigger key.

Fortunately it only counts as one loss so let's regroup and try and tackle the Hawks.
            I think Jackson should have been in the game
            very early. But man does this team need a Wagner/Banchero
            type player
            {o,o}
            |)__)
            -"-"-

Comment

• BornIndy
              INDIANA
              • May 2013

Originally posted by Peck

Pacers won the season series last year 3-1. Magic are basically the same team other than Black. As I said, bad game after having 5 days of rest. Haliburton is still the best player between the 2 teams.

Comment

• dal9
                Can see thru wooden doors
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rogco

The sad thing is Theis would have been an excellent placeholder center. Trade Myles and Buddy with an eye to getting a good PF, have Theis and sticks man the center.

Comment

Working...