X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Motion Offense
    Lawyer Morty
    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by vnzla81

I would like whatever some of you are smoking.
    It’s the same stuff Antonio Brown had

Comment

• Trader Joe
      DIET COKE!
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by vnzla81

Oh I want the tank because I don’t think they have a number one option, but they have a good amount of talent this is not Detroit.

Pacers also shoot themselves in the foot every game they start Softner, it has not worked for 3 years but they keep pushing this bs for no reason.
      Talent is a bit of a hard to pin down word, but athleticism is not, it's quantifiable and we are the least athletic team in a league that has never been more athletic by a pretty wide margin.

Comment

• Motion Offense
        Lawyer Morty
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Trader Joe

Talent is a bit of a hard to pin down word, but athleticism is not, it's quantifiable and we are the least athletic team in a league that has never been more athletic by a pretty wide margin.
        Last in dunks but number 1 in layups and floaters.

Comment

• Ozys Nepimpis
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Trader Joe

IQ>athleticism

Comment

• McKeyFan
            Intuition over Integers
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ozys Nepimpis

IQ>athleticism
            Desire > IQ
            "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

• Ozys Nepimpis
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by McKeyFan

Desire > IQ
              IQ Uber Alles

Comment

• D-BONE
                Peace Dog
                • Feb 2006

How can we be worse? Pretty simple. The last couple years this roster didn't work. It didn't have what it takes. There is no elite talent. The fit isn't particularly good. And the are too many guys we supposedly count on who are injury prone. Additionally, the players/chemistry/locker room has been fraying since Nate 1's last season.

And yet our front office continued to sit on their hands again last summer. All of this was painfully obvious. Everybody expected moves and we did zero, zilch, nada. Shame on whoever thought/thinks that this core has any potential to be more than a .500-ish, 1st round out. And I'm talking ceiling here.
                I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

• Ozys Nepimpis
                  • Dec 2019

We need to Lose much more....so Mr. Simons is so embarrassed with his little team.... that he might do something ....anything

Comment

• vnzla81
                    • Jul 2008

Mastermind Carlisle is obviously tanking as he keeps having Myles Softner doing cardio out there.

@WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

• Ozys Nepimpis
                      • Dec 2019

Myles Turner is the best player we have atm....if we want to get the best pick possible .....IN MYLES "The Soft Tank" WE TRUST

Comment

• Nuntius
                        • Jan 2012

I'd like to talk a bit about our Point and Net Differentials and how these indicate that we aren't any different than last year's team. First of all, some data points

Our Point Differential per ESPN is -0.1 -> https://www.espn.com/nba/standings/_...ntial/dir/desc

Our Total Points scored per NBA.Com is 4078 -> https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/trad...PerMode=Totals

Now, that link doesn't say how many Total Points we have allowed but if you look at the far right column of the above link you can find a +/- marker. In our team's case, the number is -2. That indicates that we have allowed 2 more points than we have scored. So, I went in our team's schedule and added up all the points we have allowed and they add up to 4080. So, the -2 is accurate.

In these 38 games we have allowed exactly 2 more points than we have scored. 4078 to 4080.

Our Net Rating per Basketball Reference is -0.01 -> https://www.basketball-reference.com...2_ratings.html

If you take a look at our Offensive and Defensive Ratings present in the same link you'll see that they are both the same. 111.16 Offensive Rating and 111.16 Defensive Rating. So, given that Net Rating is the differential between Offensive and Defensive Rating that means that our Net Rating is probably lower than -0.01 but it simply couldn't be represented otherwise in the decimal limit that they've set and since it's closer to -0.01 than it is to 0 they just rounded up.

What I'm trying to say here is that these differentials are absolutely minimal. We score on almost the exact same rate that we're scored on. It is important to note here that if you sort by Net Differential in that B-Ref link you'll see that we are exactly 15th in the league. In other words, it indicates that we are downright average. We are where you'd expect a .500 team to be.

But we aren't a .500 team. We are 14-24, 10 full games below .500. Why is that?

Well, the answer is very simple and I'm sure that most in here know this already. We suck in close games. We really, really do. Based on NBA.Com's clutch stats we are 4-17 in those games -> https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/clut...gular%20Season

A .190 winning percentage. Yep, that's right. A .190 winning percentage over 82 games translates to 15 wins, by the way. That's how bad we are in close games.

The second worst team in close games? The San Antonio Spurs with a 4-10 record and a .286 winning percentage. So, even the second worst team in the league at it is significantly worse than we've been this year. That's how bad we are at it. The Spurs being the second worst in close games, by the way, isn't much of a shock. If you take a look at that B-Ref link, you'll see that they actually have a slightly positive Net Rating (0.39) but a 14-22 record. Many of things I've said about us in this post apply to the Spurs as well.

Now, how did last year's team fared when it comes to Net Rating? Not all that differently. Our Net Rating last year was 0.02 -> https://www.basketball-reference.com...1_ratings.html

We had a 112.98 Offensive Rating and a 112.96 Defensive Rating. From 0.02 to -0.01. That's the difference between last year and this year when it comes to Net Rating. An absolutely miniscule difference and there's a very good reason for that. As D-Bone said, we are practically the same team that we were last year. The changes we made over the summer were quite minor.

What's different, though, is the record. Last year's team had the Net Rating of a .500 team and a record that was quite close to it (we finished the season 4 games below .500, 34-38). This year's team, on the other hand, has a significantly worse record at 14-24. The reason for that?

Once again, close games. Last year's team didn't suck in close games. They were downright average in them as well. They had a 20-20 record in close games -> https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/clut...gular%20Season

That's the main difference between the two teams. Last year's team was downright average across the board, including close games. This year's team is also downright average under normal circumstances but when the games are close we turn into the worst team in the league (by a significant margin). We really aren't all that different from last year's team. We're the same team that just decided to suck in the clutch this year.

Sucking in the clutch is obviously a horrible thing for a team, especially if that team has any playoff aspirations. The good news for us is that we probably don't have such aspirations given our record. So, sucking in the clutch artificially deflates our record and may give us a better pick than we should get. Well, that's what I hope at least. As always, I'm an optimist
                        Originally posted by IrishPacer
                        Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

• PacerDude
                          It's just my opinion.
                          • May 2009

Well, I'm going with the W in TF offense that is being run.

Last night for example -

Myles - 4 shots
                          Omas - 9 shots
                          Holiday - 7 shots (he only made 1, but go with me here .....)
                          Washington & Sykes - 16 shots each. Really ??

That makes zero sense to me. Anyone got an explanation for that ??

Comment

• MyFavMartin
                            This team is Fun!
                            • Oct 2007

Not having our top 2 point guards is why, besides missing Doug and several of our current players due to injuries and protocols

Comment

• Motion Offense
                              Lawyer Morty
                              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by PacerDude

Last night for example -

Myles - 4 shots
                              Omas - 9 shots

Brogdon and LeVert told them to get as many shots as they could?

Comment

• Nuntius
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by PacerDude

Last night for example -

Myles - 4 shots
                                Omas - 9 shots

It's rather simple. Guards are the ones that share primary ball-handling duties and when they're not particularly good at passing the ball or creating shots for others then they'll just take the shots themselves instead. And I'm not saying to blame Sykes or Washington either. Washington is on a two-way deal and he was supposed to be getting reps with the Mad Ants this season while Sykes is on a 10-day hardship deal. Neither of them were supposed to be starting for an NBA team this year so it's not their fault that they're thrust in this kind of position.
                                Originally posted by IrishPacer
                                Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

Working...