Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd Thoughts: L.A. Confidential (losing to the Clippers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Thoughts: L.A. Confidential (losing to the Clippers)

We lost to L.A. tonight, I would suspect that we should get used to it. We play L.A. teams three more times and I don't believe I see a win in our future barring some massive injuries on their teams.

What sucks is that in both games the remnants of our best Pacers teams of the previous decade (for me the previous 19 years) are on both teams. Paul on the Clippers and Frank leading the Lakers.

Tonight's odd thoughts are going very very old school, there will be no grades nor will there be a good bad or ugly. We are just going to go all over the place and talk about issues as it strikes me.

Right off the bat I want to address Paul George's "cryptic" response about how he someday is going to tell the truth about why he left and how we should all be "booing" that person. The first thing that comes to mind is that while I love Paul George the basketball player I really don't care much for Paul George the diva. Let's just get this out of the way, it's Larry Bird. Anybody in the local media acting like they don't know is either being disingenuous, obtuse or flat out dumb. Yes we get it Paul, Larry is an old school player who did not cater to your whims as much as you thought he should have. Just have the guts to come out and say it, don't give us this crap of "someday". He won't say it because he knows that at this point in time in history Larry Bird is still more beloved in the NBA than he is. BTW this is coming from somebody who hated Larry Bird the player. I grew up hating the guy, to me he was nothing but and effing Celtic and I hate Celtics by virtue of sacred law. But Paul didn't like his statements about about how Paul didn't run things here and he hated the idea of being asked to play the four.

For the record, I hated the idea of playing Paul at the four as well. Not as much as I hated C.J. Miles there but still. In my heart there is still a part of me that believes that Paul would have stayed if we could have done anything at all to build around him. But C.J. Miles, LaVoy Allen, Rodney Stucky and Monta "never as good as Danny" Ellis were the bums we put with him after he came back from injury. I never blamed him for wanting out of here, I very much blamed him for letting his agent put out the "I only want to go to L.A." part though. However the truth be told we had no assets to build with, our draft picks were never going to be anything other than mid first rounder so the likely hood of any of them working out wasn't great. So in the end we got two great assets for one superb asset. I say all of that to say this. I get it, he doesn't like that we don't cheer him when he comes here. It's never going to happen because people only remember he asked out. Fans locally are typically very supportive of players until they ask to be traded. We had people willing to forgive Ron Artest of virtually anything until he asked to be traded. J.O. was pretty much beloved by everyone but me until he asked to be traded and yes when he came back his first few games he got boo'ed as well. So Paul is just going to have to suck it up and either let it go or come here and kick the crap out of us if he can because the locals are not going to let this go and trying to divert blame to Bird (even if there is a lot of truth in there) isn't going to work.

Onto Montrezl Harrell is a physical beast. I don't remember which year it was, I think two years ago, but he was a free agent and I was begging the Pacers to do anything to get this guy. He is on an absurdly low contract right now at 6 million a year. That is right 6 million a year now think about that 10 million you wasted last year on Tyreke Evans and guess what you have only 2 more million from Harrell for both years. I just have never figured how the rest of the NBA let this go. As we speak he is avg 19 & 8 and is a physical presence. I can assure you his next contract is going to be for at least 12 million a year if not more. Oh I'm sure he was hit with the "can't shoot three's" crap, well guess what he can hit almost anything else. BTW it didn't matter who was guarding him, we had nobody who could stop him or even slow him down.

This brings me to the part of the program where I am going to **** many and I mean many of you off. If Dan Burke can only coach one style of defense successfully then to me he is no better than Jim O'Brien and it is time to look to move on for the team. Now I am not convinced that this is the case, but as has been pointed out ad nauseam on this board we typically have a rim protector and have our guards and wings guide their players in that direction. This works out a lot of times and yes vs average teams and below average teams this is highly successful. However when you are playing elite level teams I don't think that this is nearly as effective and often times makes whoever the big is on the floor out of position. Well what happens is that we are supposed to help the helper, which in theory is good, but in reality often happens so fast that that it can't occur or worse the person who does come down to help the helper leaves the corner three wide open. I think we really have to start working on our straight up man to man defense.

Now one thing that I want to give full credit to either Nate or Dan or whoever is that we consciously chose to play full court press in the first quarter and it actually worked, they turned the ball over. It was really a nice change of pace and the Clippers were totally caught off guard. Kudos to whoever and to the players for executing it.

I hate the fact that Domantas had such a game in a losing effort. But I can say one thing for certain, we have got to get him help on the boards. Whether it means we change the defensive scheme so Myles can help more or get different players or something else but I just don't believe long term it is good to rely so heavily on one player to grab boards. To be honest he was out of this world on the glass, I mean an absolute monster. However his shot was once again not going as well as it was early in the season. He is missing a lot of bunny's at the rim and to be blunt while I like him scoring and being aggressive I don't want him to get tunnel vision about just shooting when he is in the post. Hey at least he cut out the fouls tonight so there is that.

You know it's funny because to start the season we were so bad but yet you could see in the second half of that second loss to Detroit that we started to play better. Well to me I thought we started playing poorly in the second half of the Oklahoma City game and even though we won it I started to worry. We really didn't deserve that win in NY and well the end result is what we got tonight. Boston is going to be a hell of a game.

Uncle Buck used to tell us about the first game back off of a West Coast trip being a trap game, well even though we didn't go out west I think we still caught ourselves in a trap game. Likely they are a better team than we are but honest to God we had players who typically are okay from the field not be able to hit water from a boat. Collectively we shot 35.4% but that is inflated because of McDermott hitting 66.7 & Both Lamb & Brogdon hitting 41.7 & 46.7

Here is the hall of shame from the field for this game.

Domantas was the best at 38.9
    McConnell 33.3
    Warren 25.0
    Turner 22.2
    Small Holiday 14.3
    Tall Holiday 12.5

Your not going to beat the N.Y. Knicks let alone the L.A. Clippers shooting like that. Thank whatever powerful being you pray to that we were not facing the L.A. Lakers or we would have possibly lost that by 40 or more.

To help with the boards and to give Domas a little bit of a rest I would like us to give Leaf a little more run. However the real dilemma going forward with him is who do you take out? Bitadze only got 2 minutes tonight and I think we all agree we don't want to see him not playing at least some developmental minutes. Do you not play McDermott or Tall Holiday? Up until this game tall Holiday has been playing out of his mind good so I don't think you sit him. McDermott has been having a very solid C season so I even I would say you can't bench him right now either. It sucks because Leaf could possibly help some of the lulls we suffer in the rebounding department but in the end he has nobody but himself to blame because he was given several chances in the beginning of the year and he just did not take full advantage consistently.

What in the hell did Jakaar Sampson do to himself? He has missed 10 freaking games. Did he fall? Did someone do and Atomic drop on him and injure his back? Good Lord.

Also if history plays out correct Jeremy Lamb fell tonight, let us see if he is available for the game vs Boston.

The best thing we can say about this game is that it is over and we never really have to discuss it again.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

As far as your defense comment the Clippers play mobile and strong defense. They are much quicker overall with there defense. Pacers are a little bit plodding
    on the defensive side. Brogdon is good but he is a liability on defense because he is slower.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
      What in the hell did Jakaar Sampson do to himself? He has missed 10 freaking games. Did he fall? Did someone do and Atomic drop on him and injure his back? Good Lord.
      That's a pretty good question. I did read someone say in here that he injured his back somewhere but I don't know if we've ever had any official word about it.
      Originally posted by IrishPacer
      Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

We are in a slump right now, which started as Peck noted on the last road trip. Despite some wins, the overall performance has been down. The synergy of the team dynamic has also been down. Hopefully, we'll work through it. At minimum we can't shoot as poorly as vs. the Clips forever.

Of course, there could be a whole host of other issues. We will only know with more time as the season plays out. With a few more games upcoming against top shelf competition, we'll get a better sense of what this team sans Oladipo is. Can we compete or is our ceiling consistently beating poor and mid-level opponents only?

From a personnel standpoint, my two key questions are Myles and Brogdon. Myles has been too invisible some nights and too one-dimensional on others of late. For us to excel he not only has to be a threat to block shots, but a threat to put up double digit points, primarily from range. I hope he can break out of his current offensive slump and carve out that role consistently.

With Brogdon it's not a concern about where his floor is, but what about the ceiling? Was early season Brogdon what we should expect consistently? Is it Brogdon of the last week or so, where the scoring is still there but the efficiency is down considerably and the defense is starting to show some warts.? Is it somewhere else completely?

If we're to aspire to challenge some elite teams this season, I think those two guys are key. Of course, then you complicate that with Oladipo's eventual return. There's a lot of ifs involved in it all under current circumstances, which is why I'm not expecting any moves in the near future. I think TPTB let's it play out and makes no calls any earlier than this summer based on what development they see over the course of the season. Maybe an unexpectedly great opportunity presents itself sooner, but I'm not counting on it.
        I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Originally posted by Nuntius View Post

That's a pretty good question. I did read someone say in here that he injured his back somewhere but I don't know if we've ever had any official word about it.
          He was listed as doubtful yesterday up until right before the game he was changed to out. Not much of one but it was an upgrade compared to being called out the day before the game. One game last we he was listed as available the day before the game just to be changed to out the day of the game. Signs say he is close to returning. The next two games he's probably not needed but it would be nice to have him back for the Hornets game

Comment

If there is one major wart in Brogdon's game, it is his inability to stay with faster point guards and prevent their penetration. More worryingly - that includes some 90 % of starting point guards in the league.

This deficiency will always limit Brogdon's ceiling as a pure point guard. Bucks solved the dilemma by moving him to off-guard by his 2nd season. That move reduced a positive impact of his floor generalship though.

IMO, the correct way to approach is to ALWAYS cross-match in defense and have a shooting guard(s) capable of taking the opposing point defensively. Dipo (if fully recovered when he returns)/Aaron/Sumner are all somewhat able to do it although the shooting-part of work description of 2-spot is very much a problem with Sumner and all helter-skelter with Aaron too.

But Brogdon need to be matched with wings (even big wings) to be a defensive asset. Our rotation and defensive system MUST be configured accordingly.

Comment

As I tried to objectively watch the game last night a few things struck me - none surprised me though. The Clippers are just better. Pacers seemed like the little engine that could last night - we tried really hard, we tried to play the right way, move the ball, do the things the coaches ask - but in the end the Clippers have better players. PG can rise up and get a pretty good three point shot anytime he wanted. Harrell could do anything he wanted as well - Luckily Leonard didn't play and sweet Lew couldn't hit anything.

One thing that did surprise me was Nate's post game comments. I thought the Clippers defense completely took us out of our offense and controlled what the Pacers were trying to do - Nate didn't give any credit to the Clips defense.

I could be imagining it but it seems to me Nate is slowly going away from playing Myles and Domas together. Whenever he talks about it he seems to have a smile on his face - when he talks about how Domas plays so well with the second unit. I am curious to see where this goes from here. Myles getting fewer minutes? Myles traded before the end of the season? Myles coming off the bench - Can't do that because Myles would completely check out, plus he isn't as good with the second unit. Something is going to give here though - I don't think it is working and it seems to me Myles is moving further away from the basket on offense and becoming less involved on offense when Domas is on the floor. And really when Domas, Warren, Lamb and Brogdon are on the floor there are no shots for Myles except a late in the shot clock long three. But Myles is needed on defense - I think - Right?

Comment

What it boils down to is if Paul could have controlled his dick, there is a much better chance that the good Pacers' teams he was on wouldn't have fallen apart.

As for last night, we missed so many open shots. Disappointing but it'll happen.
                Danger Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
                  As I tried to objectively watch the game last night a few things struck me - none surprised me though. The Clippers are just better. Pacers seemed like the little engine that could last night - we tried really hard, we tried to play the right way, move the ball, do the things the coaches ask - but in the end the Clippers have better players. PG can rise up and get a pretty good three point shot anytime he wanted. Harrell could do anything he wanted as well - Luckily Leonard didn't play and sweet Lew couldn't hit anything.

One thing that did surprise me was Nate's post game comments. I thought the Clippers defense completely took us out of our offense and controlled what the Pacers were trying to do - Nate didn't give any credit to the Clips defense.

I could be imagining it but it seems to me Nate is slowly going away from playing Myles and Domas together. Whenever he talks about it he seems to have a smile on his face - when he talks about how Domas plays so well with the second unit. I am curious to see where this goes from here. Myles getting fewer minutes? Myles traded before the end of the season? Myles coming off the bench - Can't do that because Myles would completely check out, plus he isn't as good with the second unit. Something is going to give here though - I don't think it is working and it seems to me Myles is moving further away from the basket on offense and becoming less involved on offense when Domas is on the floor. And really when Domas, Warren, Lamb and Brogdon are on the floor there are no shots for Myles except a late in the shot clock long three. But Myles is needed on defense - I think - Right?

You are right that Nate doesn't want to play Domas/Myles together. He never has, and he is struggling to use them effectively (though for a couple of games it looked like we were figuring it out).

Comment

This is from Zach Harper of the Athletic. For those who don't subscribe to The Athletic or listen to NBA radio - Zach is not a former player - but he is a national media guy who only covers the NBA - I generally value his opinion.

https://theathletic.com/1434966/2019...the-dominance/

Over the last two years, the Pacers have committed $157 million to their Myles Turner-Domantas Sabonis pairing. Individually, both players are very good in their own right. Turner is a very good defender with incredible rim protection capabilities. Sabonis is a rebounding machine, who also excels in creating plays for teammates. He’s especially adept at the timing of running dribble handoffs. However, it’s fair to wonder if these two work well together on the floor. Do they maximize their respective skill sets and push the Pacers toward their best possible play?

Individually, both do better when not paired with the other. But the Pacers outscore opponents with both players on the floor by 5.1 points per 100 possessions. Remove Sabonis from the court to keep Turner as the main big man and the Pacers’ net rating drops to +2.7 points per 100 possessions. Take Turner off the floor and keep Sabonis? The Pacers are +6.1 points per 100 possessions.

A lot of their success there comes from putting Sabonis with TJ Warren and three guards. Some have wondered if the Pacers will eventually need to pick one and ship off the other. The numbers say Sabonis is the guy to stay, but I’m not sure anybody would actually pick him over Turner in any scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogco View Post
                      What it boils down to is if Paul could have controlled his dick, there is a much better chance that the good Pacers' teams he was on wouldn't have fallen apart.

As for last night, we missed so many open shots. Disappointing but it'll happen.
                      What’s that got to do with anything?

and maybe it’s me, but I don’t find having sex with strippers as definition of a terribly bad person

Comment

This ******* on Paul George has to stop. He never said he was staying or wants to be a Pacers for life or anything like that. This was his quote from the celebrity softball game...

“I’m under contract as a Pacer,” he said. “That’s all that needs to really be known. I’m here. I’m a Pacer. Again, what I’ve been dealing with is stories. You guys talking or teams talking. I’m a Pacer. There’s no way around that. This is my team, my group and this is where I’m at.”

He did say various times over the past 3 years that he loves Indiana, loved being a Pacer, and loved his time here.

So when he says the people who should be boo'd are still in this building. I actually tend to believe him. I'm about 95% sure, he wanted assurances that the Pacers were wiling to make a trade for another max / allstar player, or enter the luxury tax to take on a max player and KP and Simon flat out told him no, or just gave him the same old run around he has probably heard before.

To support that theory you just have to look at his comments about Sam Presti in OKC, and how he loved how aggressive he was in making moves.

The reality is that the front office really screwed up the Paul George era and him breaking his leg and missing a whole season didn't help the situation.

I say Kudos to Paul George for realizing that early that fortunes in Indiana were not going to improve, they have no way forward in building a successful team except to tank for a year or two. Now if you a OKC fan you have a right to be pissed, dude just signed a 4 year max contract. But again Kudos to Paul George for realizing that the team was going nowhere fast in OKC as they were capped out after signing Westbrook, Adams, and him to large deals that only resulted in 2 first round exits. Now he is playing next to the best player in the league, and in his hometown for the team he rooted for as a kid. Maybe it blows up in his face again, but he is doing it his way and making a ton of money while he is at it. 3 years down the road and is in the best possible position now, playing with best player in the league, for his home team that he rooted for as a kid, and was even considered in the MVP race for most of last season.

And the PACERS...we are in a much better position too. We now have 3 allstar caliber players. The best shot blocker int he league. 2 starting wings that are out playing their contracts and are just about as solid as you can ask for. Some young guys on the bench. You can legit say the only thing holding us back is Oladipo's return and perhaps the weakness we have in the coaching staff. As Nate has shown he just isn't capable of running a modern NBA offense.

Turner won't be moved this season as KP will want to see the whole picture with Oladipo in the fold. But I do expect him to be moved in the offseason in a move that will put the team over the top.
                        You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

Originally posted by pogi View Post

What’s that got to do with anything?

and maybe it’s me, but I don’t find having sex with strippers as definition of a terribly bad person
                          I think he was referencing the wife of a player.
                          "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

Originally posted by graphic-er View Post
                            This ******* on Paul George has to stop. He never said he was staying or wants to be a Pacers for life or anything like that. This was his quote from the celebrity softball game...

“I’m under contract as a Pacer,” he said. “That’s all that needs to really be known. I’m here. I’m a Pacer. Again, what I’ve been dealing with is stories. You guys talking or teams talking. I’m a Pacer. There’s no way around that. This is my team, my group and this is where I’m at.”

He did say various times over the past 3 years that he loves Indiana, loved being a Pacer, and loved his time here.

So when he says the people who should be boo'd are still in this building. I actually tend to believe him. I'm about 95% sure, he wanted assurances that the Pacers were wiling to make a trade for another max / allstar player, or enter the luxury tax to take on a max player and KP and Simon flat out told him no, or just gave him the same old run around he has probably heard before.

To support that theory you just have to look at his comments about Sam Presti in OKC, and how he loved how aggressive he was in making moves.

The reality is that the front office really screwed up the Paul George era and him breaking his leg and missing a whole season didn't help the situation.

I say Kudos to Paul George for realizing that early that fortunes in Indiana were not going to improve, they have no way forward in building a successful team except to tank for a year or two. Now if you a OKC fan you have a right to be pissed, dude just signed a 4 year max contract. But again Kudos to Paul George for realizing that the team was going nowhere fast in OKC as they were capped out after signing Westbrook, Adams, and him to large deals that only resulted in 2 first round exits. Now he is playing next to the best player in the league, and in his hometown for the team he rooted for as a kid. Maybe it blows up in his face again, but he is doing it his way and making a ton of money while he is at it. 3 years down the road and is in the best possible position now, playing with best player in the league, for his home team that he rooted for as a kid, and was even considered in the MVP race for most of last season.

And the PACERS...we are in a much better position too. We now have 3 allstar caliber players. The best shot blocker int he league. 2 starting wings that are out playing their contracts and are just about as solid as you can ask for. Some young guys on the bench. You can legit say the only thing holding us back is Oladipo's return and perhaps the weakness we have in the coaching staff. As Nate has shown he just isn't capable of running a modern NBA offense.

Turner won't be moved this season as KP will want to see the whole picture with Oladipo in the fold. But I do expect him to be moved in the offseason in a move that will put the team over the top.
                            I was ready to hear your explanation for not criticizing PG. After reading your post, I'm more inclined to criticize him.
                            "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
                              This is from Zach Harper of the Athletic. For those who don't subscribe to The Athletic or listen to NBA radio - Zach is not a former player - but he is a national media guy who only covers the NBA - I generally value his opinion.

https://theathletic.com/1434966/2019...the-dominance/

Over the last two years, the Pacers have committed $157 million to their Myles Turner-Domantas Sabonis pairing. Individually, both players are very good in their own right. Turner is a very good defender with incredible rim protection capabilities. Sabonis is a rebounding machine, who also excels in creating plays for teammates. He’s especially adept at the timing of running dribble handoffs. However, it’s fair to wonder if these two work well together on the floor. Do they maximize their respective skill sets and push the Pacers toward their best possible play?

Individually, both do better when not paired with the other. But the Pacers outscore opponents with both players on the floor by 5.1 points per 100 possessions. Remove Sabonis from the court to keep Turner as the main big man and the Pacers’ net rating drops to +2.7 points per 100 possessions. Take Turner off the floor and keep Sabonis? The Pacers are +6.1 points per 100 possessions.

A lot of their success there comes from putting Sabonis with TJ Warren and three guards. Some have wondered if the Pacers will eventually need to pick one and ship off the other. The numbers say Sabonis is the guy to stay, but I’m not sure anybody would actually pick him over Turner in any scenario.
                              Easy thing to do one is going to be an all star and the other one is turning into Ian Mahinmi.

And yes the Sabo/Warren and three guards lineup is the s*** I have been claiming for this to happen forever, Pacers can run teams out of the gym with those lineups.
                              @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X