Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Are we contenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NuffSaid View Post

Why wouldn't we be?

The Pacers have been:

* 2nd in the Central Division all season
    * 3rd or 4th in the Eastern Conference all season
    * Ranked in the top 10 in the league all season
    * Ranked no lower than 6th in the league all season

So, why wouldn't they be seen as contenders?

If the issue is they haven't beaten a top tier team yet, that BS because they have!

Of the league's top 10 teams, the Pacers have beaten the Raptors, 76ers, Celtics, Bucks. The only top 10 teams they haven't managed to beat are the Wariors, Blazers and Rockets. They haven't played the Nuggets or OKC yet. So, I'd say they're contenders, certainly.
    Because we have no true consistent first option.
    Because we have no one who can reliably score in crunch time.
    Because half of our current starters would be role-players for real contenders.
    Because I have never seen a contender that had 0 all-stars.

Guys, this has to end. Nobody in the league thinks we're contenders. Our best-case scenario is a strong showing in the 2nd round. Even with a 100% healthy Oladipo it would be difficult to say we're better than the Raptors or even the Bucks.
    Originally posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Comment

Guys, Dipo is injured. No one is saying that we're a contender to win the title without him. The most that people are saying are that we'll make it to the second round.
      Originally posted by IrishPacer
      Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuntius View Post
        Guys, Dipo is injured. No one is saying that we're a contender to win the title without him. The most that people are saying are that we'll make it to the second round.
        I think it depends on match ups and a lot of luck, but I'd say that there is a 1 in 3 chance that we make it to the 2nd round. If we keep the 3rd spot, I think we can make it to the 2nd round. If we end up in 4th or 5th ( most likely ), I'd say that there we don't make it....but we will put up a good fight against the Celtics or Sixers.
        Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Contenders, certainly before Vic got hurt. Contenders to make the East Finals. Now, with the signing of Wes I still think we have a shot at the 2nd round.

One thing I know for sure, I'm still excited about going to Pacer games, still. I've been a Pacer fan since Herb Williams days, we were truly terrible. We started to be fun the year we drafted Chuck Person. Still one of my favorite all time players. Went almost every game that season. Bought season tickets after that, Reggie's rookie season. The only period since then that has been truly awful were the JImmy years, I stopped going to games, my seat sat empty, till they fired him. It's been a pretty good ride since then and we've been contenders most of the time since then.

I have never thought we were boring, Winning is never boring, we have won a great majority of our home games over the years. Had lots of great team and playoff runs. Lot's of fun.

NO we haven't won a championship, we may never, but you never know, that's why they play'em. We have been "contenders" many seasons, only one year as favorites. I'll still be a Pacer fan along for the ride, what ever happens. We are not going to get the top free agents EVER. Location, Location Location, It's not our management.

Except that fact and you'll be much happeir Pacers fan. If you can't except that, you'd be much happier rooting for another NBA team.
          "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG" - Carol "The Walking Dead"

Comment

Originally posted by yoadknux View Post
            Because we have no true consistent first option.
            Because we have no one who can reliably score in crunch time.
            Because half of our current starters would be role-players for real contenders.
            Because I have never seen a contender that had 0 all-stars.

Guys, this has to end. Nobody in the league thinks we're contenders. Our best-case scenario is a strong showing in the 2nd round. Even with a 100% healthy Oladipo it would be difficult to say we're better than the Raptors or even the Bucks.
            I liked your content and completely agree on objective terms, but I have one quibble.

Facts and objectivity are one thing, but fandom is another altogether.

People can root all day for the team to beat expectations... hell, that's what fandom is... irrational exuberance. In many ways, that drives fandom.

Sometimes I think people want to talk about the team objectively, and sometimes they want to talk about the team as fans. Two different circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by docpaul View Post

I liked your content and completely agree on objective terms, but I have one quibble.

Facts and objectivity are one thing, but fandom is another altogether.

People can root all day for the team to beat expectations... hell, that's what fandom is... irrational exuberance. In many ways, that drives fandom.

Sometimes I think people want to talk about the team objectively, and sometimes they want to talk about the team as fans. Two different circumstances.
              amen bro, i root for our success too and not gonna miss a single playoffs game. But still, realistic expectations are important.
              Originally posted by Piston Prince
              Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
              "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Comment

Originally posted by Nuntius View Post
                cmon nuntius, we arent a contender even with him, not yet. We couldnt beat the Warriors 4 times with Oladipo, if we had 50 tries.

Would you call a boxer a contender if they have zero shot?

And maybe this is just a differemce between your homeland and mine, IDK, but when I say contender, I am thinking of a legitimate challenger, someone with at least a descent opportunity, and only for the title. I dont see a 3rd or 4th or even 2nd place team, in a conference, as a contender. Thats being too liberal.

But let me ask you, why in the world does it upset you I feel that way? I spend money on this team every single year, and have for a long time. I think im entitled to an opinion.
                Last edited by Taterhead; 02-11-2019, 09:08 PM.
                "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Comment

Originally posted by Taterhead View Post

cmon nuntius, we arent a contender even with him, not yet. We couldnt beat the Warriors 4 times with Oladipo, if we had 50 tries.

Would you call a boxer a contender if they have zero shot?

And maybe this is just a differemce between your homeland and mine, IDK, but when I say contender, I am thinking of a legitimate challenger, someone with at least a descent opportunity, and only for the title. I dont see a 3rd or 4th or even 2nd place team, in a conference, as a contender. Thats being too liberal.

But let me ask you, why in the world does it upset you I feel that way? I spend money on this team every single year, and have for a long time. I think im entitled to an opinion.
                  1) It doesn't upset me that you feel that way. You have every right to an opinion. We're just discussing opinions here. No one's getting upset.

2) No team is beating the Warriors. If your definition of contender is "someone who can beat the Warriors" then the NBA has had no contenders for the past 4 years. My definition of the contender isn't "who can beat the Warriors". It's who can make the "Conference Finals". That explains our different views on the subject.

With Dipo, we had a very slim chance to make the ECF. We would have earned the 3rd seed and then battle it out for 6-7 games in the season. If everything went our way, we could have went there.

Comment

Since they got Kevin Durant, thats the absolute truth, and everyone knows it. There is 1 contender right now.

If you just meant an ECF title, then alright. But I just see too many flaws in this team to even believe that.

I like our players, as individuals. I think we have a tremendous group of guys. I absolutely LOVED our team last year and was very vocal about it. The fact that I loved our team so much last year, has driven my displeasure with this season. Because we had an opportunity to take a huge step, and we tripped up. They did virtually nothing, outside of drafting Holiday, to improve our future. And Im tired of the "next year" or "in two years time" promises that never work out. Thats all.
                    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Comment

• Originally posted by Taterhead View Post
                      Since they got Kevin Durant, thats the absolute truth, and everyone knows it. There is 1 contender right now.

If you just meant an ECF title, then alright. But I just see too many flaws in this team to even believe that.
                      As I said, we just have different definitions on this subject. That's all. I don't think that it would be realistic to talk about a title right now given the fact that before last year started we were looking in being in the lottery for a while. I think that looking for a second round appearance with a possible ECF appearance if everything bodes well were the most realistic expectations.

Obviously, everything didn't bode well. Oladipo got injured. If he was healthy then the above was quite realistic, especially if we retained the 3rd seed. Now, we're definitely outsiders and our chances of making the 2nd round aren't that good.

Originally posted by Taterhead View Post
                      I like our players, as individuals. I think we have a tremendous group of guys. I absolutely LOVED our team last year and was very vocal about it. The fact that I loved our team so much last year, has driven my displeasure with this season. Because we had an opportunity to take a huge step, and we tripped up. They did virtually nothing, outside of drafting Holiday, to improve our future. And Im tired of the "next year" or "in two years time" promises that never work out. Thats all.
                      I see your point of view. I just see it differently. The fact that we gave everyone a two year deal in the summer of 17 indicates to me that the plan was always to have as much space as we could for the summer of 19. It's not a plan that always goes "we'll do it next year". It's a plan that had a certain date. Summer of 2019. That's why I didn't expect any drastic changes last summer and that's why I wasn't displeased with the off-season.

I do believe in internal development a lot. Indiana isn't a place that will attract major FAs. It's a franchise that has to build through the draft and through smart trades. It's a franchise that needs to allow its players to improve and then keep them. It's a franchise that grows step by step. It's not a franchise that suddenly becomes relevant overnight by signing a huge FA. I expect us to get better through trades and that's why I trust Pritchard. Trades are what he does best in the NBA.

Obviously, I also expect us to get better through internal development. Some people are surprised by the way that Myles is playing lately, for example. I'm not. Myles always had the talent to do what he's doing right now. He just needed the experience in the league, he needed the game to slow down for him and he also needed to get his conditioning/body to a level that would allow him to play like that. Those things were always going to take time which is why I never understood why people were ready to give up on him. Thankfully, our FO was patient and knew his value. Their decision to sign him early was brilliant. I expect the same to happen with Domas (unless we decide to trade him for an upgrade at PG/SF which would surprise me).

That's why the perfect title window for us is in 2-3 seasons. Our players still need to improve their game and find the right chemistry with the new signings. We still need to go to the 2nd round and battle it out with one of the elite teams of the conference before we can talk about an ECF title. It all happens gradually. Nothing happens overnight.

Comment

• I'm trying to figure how so many people have this pessimistic attitude that we won't get past the second round, and it's going to be a sweep????

There's so many holes in that train of thought. In my mind, getting past the first round is a given. They're the FIFTH best team in the league without a bona fide Superstar.
                        Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Comment

• Originally posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
                          I'm trying to figure how so many people have this pessimistic attitude that we won't get past the second round, and it's going to be a sweep????

There's so many holes in that train of thought. In my mind, getting past the first round is a given.
                          That wasn't the question of the OP though. Even if the Pacers get past the 1st round, they're not beating Raptors, Bucks, 76ers. Not without Oladipo. Celtics would still beat the Pacers in a series, even though they are a mess. So they are not contenders. That's just the reality. And then throw in GS. Pacers would get mopped by GS, would be no point in going to the finals.

A contender is someone who can actually win the finals. So really GS is the only contender. If GS loses this year it won't be because of a team in the West, they'll lose in the finals. The East is an overall "weaker" conference but the top 5 teams are power houses.

Comment

• You know what? Forget you guys, I want to be a fan again. So from now on this year with the way this team is playing, I'm acting like I'm 11 again and we legit have a chance. Like the old Pacers never had a chance and no one ever gave them one, but they came damn close and shocked the world. For me, I think we can still win the East. The way our team is built and plays is so much more admirable than Golden State or LeBron. We will win the East, and unlock the secret mystery of defeating the Warriors in a 7 game series, and change the landscape of the NBA back to one of team above self, where the best team wins, not the best player backed by the refs. Oladipo coming back? Just like adding KD to the Warriors, it will be unfair, but we do it the right way, the way basketball was meant to be!

Comment

• Originally posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
                              I'm trying to figure how so many people have this pessimistic attitude that we won't get past the second round, and it's going to be a sweep????

There's so many holes in that train of thought. In my mind, getting past the first round is a given. They're the FIFTH best team in the league without a bona fide Superstar.
                              I will say that I don't think that we can win in the 2nd round against the likes of the Sixers, Raptors or Bucks.

But I think that we will be more competitive and a tougher opponent to beat. I think that it's possible to push a 6 game series but ( more than likely ) push a very competitive and close 5 game series. I know, a loss is a loss and losing by 1 point is the same as losing by 50 points. I'm just saying that I don't think that we will roll over like a Team that clearly doesn't belong in the Playoffs.
                              Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by CableKC View Post
                                I will say that I don't think that we can win in the 2nd round against the likes of the Sixers, Raptors or Bucks.

But I think that we will be more competitive and a tougher opponent to beat. I think that it's possible to push a 6 game series but ( more than likely ) push a very competitive and close 5 game series. I know, a loss is a loss and losing by 1 point is the same as losing by 50 points. I'm just saying that I don't think that we will roll over like a Team that clearly doesn't belong in the Playoffs.
                                That's exactly my point...why are the Pacers the team expected to lose or only win one game in the second round? 76ers have a worse record than us and are losing to bottom feeder teams. Raptors, to me anyways, still have to prove that they're still not a yearly pretender. As for the Bucks...well...they just have to show that they won't crack under pressure when they get to the big stage. I don't feel that not one of these teams are "dominant" when it comes to the Pacers during the playoffs.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Comment

Working...
                                X