Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Irrational Depressive Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrational Depressive Thoughts

Pardon my pessimism. After all, this may be more doom-and-gloom than the situation warrants.

But I doubt it.

I sit here, having returned to my home state after 23 years away, to find that my childhood favorite team is probably going to be moved out of the city within 5 years.

It's not because of idiotic business practices or because of demands the city can't (or isn't willing to) answer.

It's because the players on the team no longer have the same standards as the part of the community affluent enough to support that team.

In the long run, for those players this is just a place to stop off. They don't care that they are in a very conservative city in a conservative part of the country. It's probably true that most of them would really rather the team was in Las Vegas, anyway.

As I listened to the radio last night, caller after caller talked about the Pacers being a joke and that they really didn't care if the team was here or not. It's hard to believe this is the same city that rallied to save the team in 1977 and years later packed Market Square Arena to cheer the Simons' purchase.

Now, we're looking at a next generation of Simons who have publicly stated they have little interest in owning a basketball team, an actively hostile "fan" base, and an antagonistic local and national media. If this isn't a formula for moving a 40-year-old franchise to another city, I don't know what is.

I may not be happy with what the players are doing, I may not be happy with management moves, but the Pacers are now and have been my team for as long as they've been around. Should they become the Las Vegas Pacers (ok, after the ref scandal it'll probably be the Oklahoma City Pacers - chew on THAT, urban culture fans), I'll have lost a significant part of my childhood and my state.

Sure, on the level of urban problems like starvation, homelessness, and teen pregnancy this isn't even a blip. But sometimes solving these things requires a certain municipal sense of self, a confidence that comes from having arts and sports and other major leisure and cultural achievements. Where will we be when the cycle rolls around and the Colts stink again?

There is little current management can do other than ride it out and hope that things begin to go their way. Long suspensions on arrest simply are neither fair nor contractual. Dumping all players with known problems for players with publicly spotless records isn't an option - anyone who thinks this fan base would support a bunch of nice guy losers any more strongly is fooling themselves. We had nice guy losers once - and curtains around Market Square Arena. Given the attitude of many professional players, new blood wouldn't guarantee a lack of problems anyway.

I'm not sure I see a solution other than some kind of miracle NBA championship that is about as likely as NASCAR drivers defecting en masse to the IRL.

Waiting is hard.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Re: Irrational Depressive Thoughts

Your first mistake was listening to a radio show. Your second mistake was listening to a radio show where listeners call in. Your third mistake was listening to a radio show where callers call in and thinking that a few callers speak for the Indianapolis population at large.

I gave up listening to any local radio call in show (especially after something like this happens). My life is just better this way.

My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them

Comment

I agree with a great deal of what you wrote, BillS - I too go way back with the Pacers (saw many a game at the Fairgrounds), and therefore well before the Colts. In a nutshell, the Pacers have had an incredible streak of bad luck the past three years. This has coincided with the rise of the Colt bandwagoners. And as far as radio is concerned, consider the source. Rare is the caller to just about any show, but ESPECIALLY sports, who has any intelligent, well thought-out opinions to share.
      Our luck simply HAS to change at some point! But you are correct - it is hard as hell to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
        Your first mistake was listening to a radio show. Your second mistake was listening to a radio show where listeners call in. Your third mistake was listening to a radio show where callers call in and thinking that a few callers speak for the Indianapolis population at large.

I gave up listening to any local radio call in show (especially after something like this happens). My life is just better this way.

My guess is those who were saying that they don't care if the team is here in the city or not were never Pacers fans and never cared for them and are using this opportunity to be critical of them

UB... Those voices have grown too loud and numnerous to ignore. I hear it all the time (no, not in my head) from people saying the same things if they see me reading a Pacer article or checking the forum. These may not be the diehards, but many are the people who would attend a few games here and there. And of them, some would get hooked. Now an atmosphere is being created where it's more acceptable to be 'anti-Pacer' than anything because of what some percieve a 'pro-Pacer' stance would be saying.

-Bball
        Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

The voices couldn't tell you the 6th man for the Pacers last year, many don't know who Ike is, some probably think Stephen Jackson is still on the roster.

I'm with Buck, big mistake listening to the people who make calling in to rant a priority. The Pacers were unloved in 91, sans criminal issues. The common thread in all lack of interest periods with both the Pacers and Colts is LOSING TOO MUCH, not morality issues.

The reason they view the Pacers as thugs is because that's the ONLY NEWS from the team they hear at all. Travis Diener = thug, Mike Dunleavy = gangster, JO = bar brawl member, Rush = guy who knifed someone. That's the POV you are listening to with those types of callers.

It's a really wide brush they paint with. If Shawne dropped 25 in the 4th to beat the Pistons this wouldn't make a blip on the radar and a lot of outraged fans would be on the "he's being treated unfairly" side of this instead. Why? Becuase the only image they would have of him prior to being pulled over was "playoff hero". They'd buy into that just as easily as the thug stuff, with no regard for any of the details behind it, like whether he really was a good guy or a thug. He scored 25 = good guy hero.

Or did I miss where the Colts became thugs after Doss' shooting spree?

These may not be the diehards, but many are the people who would attend a few games here and there. And of them, some would get hooked.
          Same people that didn't go to Colts games and if the saw you reading something about Manning would say "oh, he's a big choker, they'll never win with him as QB." Why? Again that's all that's been spoon-fed to their basically non-interested brains.

If we were to joke with one of these people about all the 3pt shots the Pacers will take this year they'd look at you like you were from Mars with a big "what???" on their lips. They have zero insight into the team and that would be true even if Rio, 8 Seconds and Shawne never happened. No wins = no interest. They'd just have some other negative caricature for the team, maybe "always injured" or "big chokers" or "they suck" and they'd still think your interest was stupid.

Some of them even think you are stupid to pay for season tickets in a WINNING season because all NBA players are overpaid and it's all BS and why can't I get a beer for less than $6 because I need 3 to really get my buzz on and enjoy the game.

Also I'm a die-hard and had trouble stomaching the type of ball I saw played post GS-trade last year, I have little doubt that if a casual fan tuned in he didn't get hooked. Again, true even without 8 Seconds and Shawne this year.

What the team needs is some OTHER PRESS to drown this crap out, like say some winning. Big wins make big news. Then these fans are hearing more than just negative stories. It's not that there is an endless stream of outrageous behavior nearly as much as it is that there is virtually a wasteland of non-stories about the Pacers which makes the 1 or 2 negative ones stand out like an oasis in the desert. It's the only thing out there right now. It's not a forest of trees, but relative to everything else it seems like it.
          Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

UncleBuck. I think you are great. You like the NBA almost without qualification, and you are determined whatever happens to shovel a large amount of your cash in that direction. I like a guy who knows what he likes.

But, not many people are as devoted as you are. If the Pacers are going to stand or fall depending on what you consider a real fan, then they most certainly will fall.

If you are talking about people who have never been to a game in their lives, then I understand your point. (though I wonder if they'd bother to call a talk show and stay on hold for 20 minutes just to say, "I don't care." But maybe they would.

Anyway, having been reborn as a casual fan (what you would describe as a non-fan, even though I am a former season ticket holder), I would say, as BBall does, that the second tier of fan ought to be considered.

The first tier is you, who owns season tickets, subscribes to premium NBA season pass, watches every NBA game he can, knows the names of darn near every one of the 400+ NBA players and half the prospects now in college, reads several out-of-town newspapers every day just to see if there is any NBA news in them, cares enough to look up information before making a post, etc., etc., etc. You really are great, but how many like you are there? Even here on this forum, there are probably fewer that 20 full season ticket holders. In all, there aren't nearly enough real fans to keep the team in the black. That has always been the case in Indiana -- even when the Pacers were flying high. With the exception of the inaugural season at Conseco, the Pacers' total ticket sales have been barely adequate to turn a profit, often depending on sell-outs of extra post-season games to get into the black.

The Pacers financial situation is tenuous. And the margin between profit and unsustainable losses is the second tier of fans. People who really do like basketball and really do care about the Pacers, but aren't willing to take a bucket of sbit in the face.
            And I won't be here to see the day
            It all dries up and blows away
            I'd hang around just to see
            But they never had much use for me
            In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Comment

I have to agree with the the others whose forcasts are a bit gloomy. The die-hards will not be the ones who can save the franchise. It is the occasional fan and "possible convert" that makes or breaks a franchise. We are about to begin, what, the fourth season of "problems". If it continues, we are looking at a real issue of retaining the team. Yes, I remember back in the day when 20+ wins was the norm and attendance stunk but the character issues were not the focal point.

I was happy with Bird's suspension of Shawne. It always perplexed me how a player so demanding on himself as he was could seemingly be so passive about our issues. I think that's over. And it is an encouraging sign to me no matter how small it may appear. It's the right direction. Whether it's too late remains to be seen.
              The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

If the Pacers actually have a good season and players stay out of police reports , you'll be amazed how quickly fan reaction changes.

Right now with the Pacer personel problems its easy to bash the team. The vast majority of bashers are clueless about who is even on the roster as others have stated. Its very easy to dump on young , majority over paid athletes, yes several have made terrible choices and have been in trouble , but most casual fans lump every player as a thug.

A 2007-08 Indiana Pacer team who play well and keep noses cleans will go a long way in repairing the damage. But until that time its the thing to do to dump on the team.

Comment

Yes, I remember back in the day when 20+ wins was the norm and attendance stunk but the character issues were not the focal point.
                  Yeah, the focal point was "they stink, who cares about them". Not sure that's any better for attendence, which is the topic of debate here, as in "fans won't show up because of the criminal image they have" vs "fans won't show up because this team offers no promise of winning it all".

Obviously I'm really bitter about the pre-Brown era because the locals didn't respect that roster and laughed at my own interest. Then I had to watch those same yahoos jump on board when they pulled off some big wins. I have trouble respecting those fans or giving a s*** what they think. If I did care what they think I would have boo'd Reggie and dismissed Rik as a loser long before they hit the 2nd round.

I'm happy to not have been in that group at any point.

I don't disagree that the team has problems, just that Dun and Troy for Jack proved that image means nothing to fans. No new fans came to see the milk drinkers, no new fans returned when Jack was finally run out of town. This proves that the fans saying that those items were critical to their interest were lying. So why should I listen to them now?

I mean I here still as a huge fan and I think the team is headed for about 30 wins. You don't have to love the future of the team to be a fan, just ask Cubs fans. A big part of it is the journey even when things get tough. That makes the payoff later all the sweeter.

My advice - the suspension was good, keep working on minimizing these issues in the press but keep the main focus on finding a way to win games. The only way out is through wins. It has to be the priority still.
                  Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diamonddave00 View Post
                    If the Pacers actually have a good season and players stay out of police reports , you'll be amazed how quickly fan reaction changes.

Right now with the Pacer personel problems its easy to bash the team. The vast majority of bashers are clueless about who is even on the roster as others have stated. Its very easy to dump on young , majority over paid athletes, yes several have made terrible choices and have been in trouble , but most casual fans lump every player as a thug.

A 2007-08 Indiana Pacer team who play well and keep noses cleans will go a long way in repairing the damage. But until that time its the thing to do to dump on the team.
                    The problem is that you could've written this post the past several summers. It's the "IF" that keeps tripping them up. Eventually, the pattern becomes recognizable.

-Bball
                    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Moderation in all things is probably good.

Yes to listen to many of the so called "fans" who want the entire team run out of town on a rail is night right.

However dismissing the thought that there is a real and growing resentment of the team is not right either.

Look I hate bandwagon jumpers as much if not more than any of you, however in my entire life I have never seen the reaction this team is getting right now here in the state.

People aren't just disinterested in them, like they were in the 80's because they were losing, they actually dislike them. In some cases to the point of anger.

Yes, I know there are plenty of idiots out there. However you can't just discount all of the negative as idiocy right now.

But this isn't new. The disconnect started in 2000 and it never really gained momentum after that.

Even the 61 win team didn't bring the excitement to the city that any of the 90's teams did or 60's or early 70's teams did and by pure regular season record that was the best team.

It only got worse after the brawl and each and every "event" since then has just piled on.

However all is not lost. Birds quick and decisive action was a start in the right direction.

I think that one of the biggest problems this franchise is suffering through is that there is a perception (right or wrong I don't know) that management excuses these incidents and therefor is complicant in thier re-occurance.

Brawl - we were victims, no accountability to our players at all

strip club - We have to let the legal process play out

night club - we have to let the legal process play out

All of this may or may not be true but to a section of the population the three above things translate into "if it feels good do it, there are no consequincases".

Winning is part of the solution, however as I pointed out about the 61 win team. It's not the only thing.

They've taken the first step now they just need to keep moving.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

I totally agree with Buck here!

I may be all over the place here, but I'm writing this in a little hurry....

People that are easily influenced with decisions usually make the wrong decisions. This is what BillS assumes that ALL true Indiana Pacer fans think. I think this is how BillS thinks in real life big picture.

The Pacer franchise is not going anywhere (as in relocation). The Simons have probably already probably committed to sell the franchise to Larry Bird anyway. Good choice-Bad choice ? I don't know or really care right now.

The truth is that once you bleed blue and gold, like many of us that grew up with the franchise in the 70's, then your a fan of the team no matter what issues arise. Pro Sports do reflect life in many ways as it is so unpredictable.

Everyone here acts like we are the only sports franchise with these issues.

I don't want to blame the media, but when every game is available on NBA league pass and the internet has greatly influenced us on the way we watch and evaluate our own sports franchises. The media can and does influence your opinion...ask Bill Clinton.

Here's an example:

The Colts were the media darlings-superbowl winner-respectable coach...yadda yadda yadda....yet they had a player (Mike Doss) shooting off a handgun outside of a Columbus, Ohio nightspot last year, another player (Nick Harper) get stabbed in the knee by his wife, another player (Dominic Rhodes) get arrested for DUI right after the superbowl, another player (Monty Reagor) having a Domestic abuse problem...I could go on , that the Colts were hardly choirboys, yet since they brought Indianapolis a championship...everybody LOVED them...why becasue they WON!

Yet,

There really isn't any love for our under .500 Pacers...why..

Just because the Pacers have had some really talented players the last 3 years, yet those players are not from the 1969,72,73,93,94,95,97,98,99,2000 team. Teams with respect, becasue they represented Indianapolis in a good light.....The young players that The Pacer franchise have had issues with are greatly influenced by their upbringing and surroundings. It also happens with friends and relatives. I'm not making excuses for Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamal Tinsley or Marquis Daniels... knowing right and wrong is a common sense issue, but because they are not living up to the common sense standards that you think they should you blame the franchise for not knowing about their character or maturity issues....let it be known that Reggie Miller & Dale Davis, yes our Reggie Miller & Dale Davis had character-maturity issues early in both careers that were largely hidden due to more respect by the local media due to the fact they were winning and generally "good guys".

I'm sure there are some old stories about the old ABA Pacers including Bob Netolicky, George McGinnis and others that would make you take a step back... lots of nutty things going on in that league, but hey it was the ABA, an outlaw league where players like John Brisker, an ABA allstar with the Pittsburgh Condors, would walk into the locker room at the fairgrounds with a loaded handgun.....try doing that today.

Where are the opinions on these guys at...Since they were winners they represented Indianaplis in a good light. This due to the fact that back in the day the media largely hid a lot of the players activities, especially those on the road....I'm sure a couple of the old beat writers from the 70's could tell you some colorful road stories " off the record".

So judge as you do, but understand that real fans of a team look at posts like this and just shake their heads. I always wonder who are we to judge what these people do in their spare time, should we really care if they go to a strip bar? After all these guys arn't marrying your daughters are they?

So in BillS implied opinion until the Pacers trade the whole team away. much like Portland did no one will support them? I disagree BillS If the Pacers star of fast and continue to get better and win, they will be the comeback feel good story in the NBA, maybe in all of sports this year. In the meantime quit trying to push your moralistic views as our-my moralistic views.

Its all about common sense!

Comment

Originally posted by DaSMASH View Post
                          The Pacer franchise is not going anywhere (as in relocation). The Simons have probably already probably committed to sell the franchise to Larry Bird anyway. Good choice-Bad choice ? I don't know or really care right now.
                          Not that this has anything to do with the topic, so apologies...but I keep seeing people talk about Larry Bird possibly buying the team.

Larry Bird doesn't have $280 million. He could never be more than a Jay-Z-esque minority partner with name recognition. Essentially, he would just be a new, more expensive, new-luxury-box version Adult Boomer again if he was involved.

/carry on with the thread
                          Read my Pacers blog:
                          8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

Originally posted by JayRedd View Post
                            Not that this has anything to do with the topic, so apologies...but I keep seeing people talk about Larry Bird possibly buying the team.

Larry Bird doesn't have $280 million. He could never be more than a Jay-Z-esque minority partner with name recognition. Essentially, he would just be a new, more expensive, new-luxury-box version Adult Boomer again if he was involved.

/carry on with the thread
                            Larry has all the other minority investors he needs all ready lined up...this i know for a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
                              I don't disagree that the team has problems, just that Dun and Troy for Jack proved that image means nothing to fans. No new fans came to see the milk drinkers, no new fans returned when Jack was finally run out of town. This proves that the fans saying that those items were critical to their interest were lying. So why should I listen to them now?
                              The damage was already done by Jackson and Tinsley earlier in the season. I think most people want to get rid of the malcontents, see some new young faces who they can get attached too. Maybe it takes a few years before we start winning again and become a factor in the playoffs but it's probably the only wat to get the casual fans back!

IT'S TIME TO TRADE JO & TINSLEY!!!
                              Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Comment

Working...
                              X