Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Lakers fan with a reasonable perspective here (long but good)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lakers fan with a reasonable perspective here (long but good)...

Originally posted by Will Galen View Post
    Okay, this deal would give us Granger, Harrison, Williams, Diogu, Bynum, #19, #40, and two 1st round draft picks next year. That's to many young guys to develop even if you figure Harrison won't ever amount to anything.

So even though it's a reasonable offer from your point of view, it's not reasonable from ours. An established player like Odom could be used to trade for another established piece that we really need. I think we get Bynum and Odom or there's no trade.
    Picks don't always have to be used for rookies. You can package something like Murphy and a 1st Rounder to get an established vet instead.

All I'm saying, is that you can often "draft" veterans with draft picks instead if you choose. It's the reason Boston/Atlanta may trade their picks instead of adding another rook to a roster full of em.

Picks give you assets. That's what you need to improve, whether it's through the draft or trade.

And we could sure use assets, considering the only three we currently have of objective value to the league are JO, Granger and Foster. Most teams have a lot more than 3.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

I am a bit surprised at some of the responses. I thought most of you would say no Odom no deal, but the Lakers just cannot do that. By the way, this Kobe thing is driving the Laker boards everywhere nuts! Straight jackets would be needed if they really traded Kobe, which is stupid unless you get screwed in a trade. As mentioned, Heinrich, Kobe, Nocioni, T.Thomas, and B. Wallace can certainly win the east, and their bench ain't bad. Kobe can possibly help bring a guy like JO or KG for the MLE to Chicago at season' end, because with one of them you can pretty much mail them the east in 08-09. So the Bulls may be reluctant to give Deng, but in the end I believe they would because a title is still clearly in their hopes. If the Lakers deal Odom and Bynum for JO, I see no way they win a title. Today, a few rumor mongers are saying the Lakers would love to trade Odom, Bynum, and Radmnonvic for KG. I will be honest: I would rather do a trade with Indi and keep LO out of it, because he is a good #3 on a title team. KG is better than JO, but I will take JO AND Odom over KG. I really hope our two teams can do this deal, because it saves our *** and may be a deal that helps the Pacers pull out of their sort of rut right now.

Comment

I know it is a business and all, but I also think the Lakers know Odom loves it in LA, and with the death of his son less than a year ago, and with him already saying he would want an extension for 3 years if he is dealt, I think the Lakers try to hold onto him unless they get a deal they just can't pass on. If KG is available and no other trades are, I think the Lakers do the Odom and Bynum for KG deal. But even with that, I still think the Lakers are at best in the second round next year in the west, because they would still be behind the Suns and Spurs, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by LAKERERIC View Post
          I am a bit surprised at some of the responses. I thought most of you would say no Odom no deal, but the Lakers just cannot do that. By the way, this Kobe thing is driving the Laker boards everywhere nuts! Straight jackets would be needed if they really traded Kobe, which is stupid unless you get screwed in a trade. As mentioned, Heinrich, Kobe, Nocioni, T.Thomas, and B. Wallace can certainly win the east, and their bench ain't bad. Kobe can possibly help bring a guy like JO or KG for the MLE to Chicago at season' end, because with one of them you can pretty much mail them the east in 08-09. So the Bulls may be reluctant to give Deng, but in the end I believe they would because a title is still clearly in their hopes. If the Lakers deal Odom and Bynum for JO, I see no way they win a title. Today, a few rumor mongers are saying the Lakers would love to trade Odom, Bynum, and Radmnonvic for KG. I will be honest: I would rather do a trade with Indi and keep LO out of it, because he is a good #3 on a title team. KG is better than JO, but I will take JO AND Odom over KG. I really hope our two teams can do this deal, because it saves our *** and may be a deal that helps the Pacers pull out of their sort of rut right now.
          To me, this has been exactly the situation since LA lost in the Playoffs:

If they want KG, it will cost Odom and Bynum.

If they want JO, it will cost one of the two (which to me, would have to be Bynum)

Of course, there's filler and picks and whatever, but it's their choice as to whether they give up both of their two biggest assets for the Hall of Famer, or they give up one of their two biggest assets for the perennial All Star.
          Read my Pacers blog:
          8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

Originally posted by diamonddave00 View Post
            The cap reasoning is because if its basicly Bynum at 2.5 mil , pick 19 cap slot 1mil left after one year it amounts to a 17.5 mil reduction in the cap numbers removing JO's contract.

The Pacers salary totals for 2008-09 are $68.9 mil currently including JO(21.4 mil) Foster's(6.2) opt out year, plus Harrison's 2 mil qualitying offer. The NBA cap conservatively should be 56 mil , so technical they are almost 13 million over.

A trade w/ a team say the Lakers in which basicly you get Bynum (2.7 mil) #19 (1 mil salary slot) , Brown's 9 mil expiring contract , Vujacic (1.7 expiring) and resigned McKie (3 mil paid by Lakers w/ cash inclusion then McKie waived) would mean you have 3.7 mil in assets from the trade for 2008-09 as opposed to JO'S 21.4 MIL =16.7 mil savings not extending Harrison the 2 mil qualifying offer now means a 18.7 mil savings

Removing 18.7 mil from 68.9 leaves you at 50.2 mil now 5.8 mil unders the cap . If you traded Foster for an expiring contract when you deal JO and go to rebuild mode thats an additional 6.2 mil removed you are now 12 mil under the cap.

At that point with so many young pieces and 12 mil in cap space , you are situated to add a piece which you need after giving all the kids extended playing time for a year. At point Daniels (6.8) is entering his final guaranteed year of his contract (could be important either health reason's or a trade). The cap numbers are not real pretty but trading JO for 2 or 3 young building blocks and expiring contracts ease them considerabily expecially if you are going into a rebuilding mode.

I'd love a boatload return on JO but currently the offers are not there , as a result it may be in the long term youth and cap space is the best we can expect.
            DD00 - I think that your plan overlooks one extremely important point.

The only thing even remotely resembling a mission statement for next season was stated by JOB, And that is that the Pacers will return to the playoffs NEXT year. Not 4 years from now, or even 2 years from now. But NEXT year. Walsh and Bird echoed that same desire. Start winning again, provide a product that the fans respect and take pride in, and get back to the playoffs.

If we trade JO for basically prospects and cap space, and do the same with Foster, especially in not getting Odom in return, there is absolutely no way in hell we have a chance of making the playoffs NEXT season.

Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed if we traded JO for cap space and prospects. With Kobe, Odom and JO on one team, any draft choice that LA has beyond this summer are absolutely useless. Each such draft choice would be in the mid-20s on up and would result in a hit-or-miss prospect.

You don't trade your supposed franchise player for crap. At the very least, any trade involving JO must return one player whose credentials are a certainty. Odom is the certainty.

I've seen Walsh and others be fooled by Bender... and Walsh has been pretty darn good at judging talent and drafting personnel. With that said, I could care less what Kareem says about Bynum. He is no better at making a personal judgement about talent than Walsh is with all of the staff that supports him.

That being said, let's don't get all warm and fuzzy about Bynum... just yet. Let's recognize him for exactly what he is. He's ony a prospect.

At the end of the day, despite any worries that we might lose JO for nothing after next season, we will not trade him for prospects and cap space.

It goes against every plan the Pacers have for next season, it has no chance of making an immediate improvement in the product and it may lose even more fans. It just doesn't make good business since.

Comment

I'd love a boatload return on JO but currently the offers are not there , as a result it may be in the long term youth and cap space is the best we can expect.
              I'm beginning to come around to your line of thinking.

DD00, maybe you can help answer this. Right now, the 19th pick has no value...as in before the draft. At what point will it hold any type of Salarycap value ( as in...count towards the salary cap and therefore can be used towards a trade )?

I know it is a business and all, but I also think the Lakers know Odom loves it in LA, and with the death of his son less than a year ago, and with him already saying he would want an extension for 3 years if he is dealt, I think the Lakers try to hold onto him unless they get a deal they just can't pass on. If KG is available and no other trades are, I think the Lakers do the Odom and Bynum for KG deal. But even with that, I still think the Lakers are at best in the second round next year in the west, because they would still be behind the Suns and Spurs, clearly.
              I have brought this up before in earlier threads. Since Odom does not appear to be an option....do you think that Walton ( one of the few remaining trading assets that the Lakers have ) can be used as a S&T option where he goes to a 3rd team and the 3rd team sends back a player to the Pacers?

Is Luke Walton a Free Agent now? I have read from some posters that he is not a FA...but Hoophype doesn't show him as having a salary for the 2007-2008 season...and RealGM lists him as a UFA. If he is, although the Pacers would have no use for him....from what I have seen of his play....I suspect that some 3rd team would have some interest in him and therefore he would have some type of trade value.

I know its not optimal and that the Lakers would prefer to keep both Odom and Walton...but if push came to shove....I would think that Walton is the preferable piece to be included in any trade.

I'm guessing that Walton can get between a 2.5 to 3.5 mil a year contract...which should fall within our salary needs ( in terms of getting back a 3rd team player ) to make salaries match.

The best Laker/Pacer deal that I can come up with that does not involve Odom is:

- JONeal
              - Harrison

for

- Kwame
              - Bynum
              - 2007 19th pick
              - MoEvans
              - Farmar
              - 2009 1st round pick ( limited lottery protection...just in case Kobe decides to bolt again )
              - S&T of Walton to a 3rd team ( whatever player that a S&T of Walton can net the Pacers that costs between 2 to 3 mil )
              - $$$

NOTE - the reason why I don't do a S&T of McKie and getting back $$$ to balence out his buyout ( as DD00 suggests ) ...is that I consider that more of a "null value trade"...as in we make that trade just to balence out the contracts and we get nothing in the end for it. I would much rather get back a player in a S&T of Walton ( a player that I think has some value ) and get back a player that we can use ( thus getting some value in return ) and get the $$$ back.

Assuming that we can wait until a certain time to get the 19th pick signed ( and therefore count in the trade )...then that 2007 draft pick...along with whatever player that we get in a Walton S&T should make up the approximate 3.75 mil in salaries that we would need.

This is the way that I am look at it. IF Odom is not an option....then the Pacers should try to get back as much of the Lakers assets ( Draft picks for 2007/2009, Bynum, Kwame and MoEvan's Expiring Contract, $$$$, Farmar and Walton in a S&T ) that they have. I know its not optimal for the Pacers...cuz even I prefer to get back Odom ONLY because he is the one of the best Lakers assets....but if this is the best offer that the Lakers can offer....I would definitely consider it. It's a package that does support our best rebuilding efforts.
              Last edited by CableKC; 06-19-2007, 01:19 PM.
              Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Okay, I have been peeping over at your boards for awhile, and, while I have been a Laker fan since I say Fletch, I admire the passion over here. By the way, Hooosiers may be the best sports movie ever. Well, enough of that. We can do business, I think. First the Pacers. I see a team with a lot of bloated contracts. But I understand the need to cut the chord with Jackson and Ron, but taking back Murphy and MD Jr. is rough. Combined with Tinsley, Foster, and Daniels, and you guys are cap screwed for another 4 years. Probably, that is when you are hoping to have a team that is ready to win big. Granger is very good, on par with Prince in a year or two in my estimation. Williams and Diagu? I guess we will see. With JO having the ability to opt out after this season and with no picks, and with your GM saying he will not use the MLE, a trade is very possible.

Which brings us to the Lakers. Kobe is great, even with his drama that would make Norman Dale role over in this grave except Hackman is still alive. Odom is a really good player, I would call him a number 3 player on a title team. On par with Shawn Marion, Richard Jefferson and Josh Howard. Kwame, Turiaf, Farmar, Sasha, Walton, are nice complementary pieces. But the Lakers will only go as far as Junior, or Andrew, takes them. I am being objective, but I would say that Bynum and Hibbert are identical in their talent. Bynum does certain things better, and vice versa, but they are about even. So, if I throw in Brown, McKie, the #40 pick in this draft, and a 2009 #1, then I would think a lot of you should be pleased. James Worthy and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have said that they believe he will be an every year all-star by his 5th season. He does have definite talent. His shot-blocking talent is uncanny, as is his wingspan. He has decent touch around the rim and some pretty good finishing skills. Flaws? Stamina. He just could not hold us playing the minutes he did last year. He also can stand get a bit mentally tougher. He has sort of a Tim Duncan non-chalant attitude about himself, and Duncan is his idol, by the way. He is a good athlete, but he is not a great athlete. Good passer. No perimeter skills. Totally a back to the basket guy, and he has been schooled by the master, and a man your GM knows quite well. If Bird called Kareem, and Kareem told him what he thought about him, I think Bird would sign off.

By the way, I fully acknowledge the creek the Lakers are under. I am a realist. They must trade Bynum or Kobe. And I just do not believe they are prepared to deal Kobe, even though a Deng, Gordon, and Sefelosha offer may be realistic and intrigues me. If the Lakers made that deal, they would have Gordon, Sefelosha, Deng, Odom, and Bynum, which, if Bynum becomes what some in the Laker circles think he CAN become, could be enough to set up the Lakers for quite awhile. But Buss will not trade Kobe. He won't. I threw out the trade because the Lakers will not trade Odom because they need him to have a real chance to compete with the elite, which is totally what that trade is about. The Lakers four year window starts now, while the Pacers will slowly improve and probably be peaking in four years, when the likes of Shaq, Duncan, Nash, Wade, Kobe, and others will be declined and in some of the Pistons' cases, gone. So I wanted to throw this out there to give you Pacer fans something to chew on. But I do like reading your opinions and look forward to the responses.
                You seem to keep misunderstanding whose basketball it is here. If I choose to leave and take it home with me, you don't play anymore. I now make the rules, play or don't play....its your decision.

Do you think anyone in Pacerland cares if the Lakers can compete with just O'Neal and without Bynum and Odom?

The Lakers, Knicks and other teams throughout the years, but usually these two treat the rest of the NBA as their minor league affilates. Calling up a player that has honed his craft to play with the big team. Well I'm glad to say with GM's like Isiah Thomas and Mitch Kupchack the days for that attitude is long over. Now it's the smaller market teams that can make the demands....and it's about time...

The Bull are not stupid, why would John Paxson gut a team that swept a Shaq led Miami team? Why, because Laker fans and ESPN writers seem to think they will....I don't here Paxson saying it, do you?

Yes, you could make a deal with the Knicks for all that "collection" that Isiah has put together. Yeah that team has gone real far these last few years also.

So throw in Mckie's contract or whoever you want...the deal on the table is O'Neal & Murphy for Odom, Bynum, Brown, filler and the 19th pick...You can keep all of them as far as I'm concerened...there are other teams with great interest in O'Neal....The Pacers are doing the Lakers a favor by even giving them this offer...

Let me put it to you this way.

When Shaq was traded to Miami, you got Brian Grant (retired) Caron Butler (traded for Kwame) and Lamar Odom. Trading for O'Neal and Murphy suddenly makes the Shaq deal : Shaq for Jermaine O'Neal & Troy Murphy. I think you come out pretty good in the long run with this move....don't you?

Comment

I think this article pretty much sums it up for me.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6173781

Comment

The draft pick gains a monatary value as soon as its used say the Lakers take Nick Young at#19 to trade to Pacers , once taken he is slotted into a draft slot of about 1mil. When he is traded the Lakers would be trading his rights not the pick- an advantage of this is he now works as trade filler + since his right are traded and not the pick the Lakers are now allowed to trade their #1 in 2008 instead of 2009.

Comment

To me the Odom, Bynum, Brown for JO and Murphy makes no sense for Lakers on 2 fronts and I see why they fight it.

1. takes all 3 of their trading chips
                      2. Adds Murphy's 42 mil contract to JO's 64 +106 mil while shipping only 46 mil out

If Pacers want both Odom and Bynum and to unload Murphy seems a compromise can be reached.

Lets the Lakers keep Kwame Brown's expiring 9 million salary. Accept Radmanovic's lousy contract + Mo Evans. Result

1. Lakers keep trading chip Brown
                      2. Pacers trade 106 mil in salaries but Lakers only have to swallow 16 extra million on life extra for Murphy's contract. Pacers still save over 44 million on their cap over 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by beast23 View Post
                        DD00 - I think that your plan overlooks one extremely important point.

The only thing even remotely resembling a mission statement for next season was stated by JOB, And that is that the Pacers will return to the playoffs NEXT year. Not 4 years from now, or even 2 years from now. But NEXT year. Walsh and Bird echoed that same desire. Start winning again, provide a product that the fans respect and take pride in, and get back to the playoffs.

If we trade JO for basically prospects and cap space, and do the same with Foster, especially in not getting Odom in return, there is absolutely no way in hell we have a chance of making the playoffs NEXT season.

Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed if we traded JO for cap space and prospects. With Kobe, Odom and JO on one team, any draft choice that LA has beyond this summer are absolutely useless. Each such draft choice would be in the mid-20s on up and would result in a hit-or-miss prospect.

You don't trade your supposed franchise player for crap. At the very least, any trade involving JO must return one player whose credentials are a certainty. Odom is the certainty.

I've seen Walsh and others be fooled by Bender... and Walsh has been pretty darn good at judging talent and drafting personnel. With that said, I could care less what Kareem says about Bynum. He is no better at making a personal judgement about talent than Walsh is with all of the staff that supports him.

That being said, let's don't get all warm and fuzzy about Bynum... just yet. Let's recognize him for exactly what he is. He's ony a prospect.

At the end of the day, despite any worries that we might lose JO for nothing after next season, we will not trade him for prospects and cap space.

It goes against every plan the Pacers have for next season, it has no chance of making an immediate improvement in the product and it may lose even more fans. It just doesn't make good business since.
                        I know its not optimal and the liklihood minimal.....but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers may go with the "clear salarycap and stay competitive for the short term" option and go for a JONeal+Murphy for Odom+Kwame+Farmar+19th pick+Walton S&T ( to a 3rd team ) + future consideratons ( $$$$ or 2009 draft pick ) without Bynum.

One of the concessions ( of course ) is to give up on Bynum.....but I really think that the Lakers Front Office...or specifically the Buss family members that are in love with him.....may consider it.

This allows the Pacers to be competitive by getting back Odom ( as Bird/JO'B suggests so that they can get back into the playoffs )....clear Murphy's long term salary ( a definite long term benefit )....clear salarycap for next year with Kwame's Expiring contract ( that can be used towards Free Agent signings or resigning Granger/Ike/Shawne )...get back a young backup PG ( a definite need given our lack of depth at the Guard rotation )...and get back into the 2007 draft ( something that we know that the Pacers want ).

Although it would leave the Pacers in the "land of medicrity" for the coming years.....this move would really go a long way to freeing up salarycap $$$$...something that I really think is one of the long-term/continuing goals of TPTB...giving the Pacers the ability to retool this team through Free Agency rather then building through prospects ( something that will take much longer to do ).
                        Last edited by CableKC; 06-19-2007, 02:10 PM.

Comment

The right trade with the Lakers wouldn't be fair. That's the point.

You don't trade a franchise player unless you are compelled to do so. You gotta make the other team make a Godfather offer.
                          The Miller Time Podcast on 8 Points, 9 Seconds:
                          http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/tag/miller-time-podcast/
                          RSS Feed
                          Subscribe via iTunes

Comment

If the Pacers had been flooded with better offers JO would have been traded already. I'm all for getting all you can for JO , but his 3 years 64 mil contract and injury history makes for a limited number of teams with great interest in him.

Another key is his opt out after next season -while unlikely he uses it , that is still his option if he is unhappy where he is sent. We know LA and NY are his preference, hell everyone in the league does.

IF Walsh/ Bird could unload Murphy and get Odom , Bynum and Brown great. More like likely Brown for a year and Odom plus Radmanovic for JO and Odom.

Then after 2 years Lamar Odom is a free agent Pacers have traded JO and Murphy for Vlad and cap space. I'd prefer a package of Bynum ,Brown and a couple picks and filler to that; you'd still have cap space and youth that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pwee31 View Post
                              I think this article pretty much sums it up for me.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_6173781
                              Agreed.

I know we're ragging on Murphy a lot as being horrible, but the reality is he is not horrible, just way overpaid. He's a very serviceable player - I wouldn't call him a 'double-double' machine (close, though), but he's not a stiff either. And, for what it's worth, he fits pretty well with Kobe and JO.

The Lakers are looking to make a championship move. Those don't come cheap or, more significantly, without risk.

The Lakers roster will less deep. They will have less long term flexibility. But all they are giving up is "potential", a very solid, versatile veteran, cap relief, and a draft pick.

But they get (by far) the best player in the trade and more significantly a roster that can compete for a championship immediately.

The price SHOULD be high.
                              You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
                              All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Comment

To me the Odom, Bynum, Brown for JO and Murphy makes no sense for Lakers on 2 fronts and I see why they fight it.

1. takes all 3 of their trading chips
                                2. Adds Murphy's 42 mil contract to JO's 64 +106 mil while shipping only 46 mil out

If Pacers want both Odom and Bynum and to unload Murphy seems a compromise can be reached.

Lets the Lakers keep Kwame Brown's expiring 9 million salary. Accept Radmanovic's lousy contract + Mo Evans. Result

1. Lakers keep trading chip Brown
                                2. Pacers trade 106 mil in salaries but Lakers only have to swallow 16 extra million on life extra for Murphy's contract. Pacers still save over 44 million on their cap over 4 years.
                                I know that it's a compromise....but it's a hard pill to swallow.

I know that everyone and their grandmother hates Murphy and his long-term contract....but when compared from a Player perspective ( as opposed to salary perspective )....Murphy is a way better player then VladRad. Oddly enough.....IMHO...this is one of those rare cases where we could possibly be trading a player of "lesser talent" if we trade Murphy for VladRad.

Comment

Working...
                                X