Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Calling all PD fantasy Pacer GMs!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all PD fantasy Pacer GMs!!!!

The debate is on and raging so here's your shot to play decision maker with the future of the Pacers. There is consensus frustartion and concern about the team's play and direction but not about how to improve it.

One popular option is the true rebuilding mode that would likely include acquiring and developing young talent. JO would likely be sent out in this scenario and it may well result in several non-playoff seasons.

Another popular option is to try and continue the roster remake by acquiring a limited number of players that fill needs or upgrade specific weak areas. This scenario likely means retaining JO and providing him support that allows he and the team to be more effective. The negatives to this could be that outside JO we don't have the pieces and flexibility to obtain the needed players and/or we could remain only marginally competitive (i.e.-slightly better than .500 and still no real championship or ECF aspirations).

Your mission is to describe how you would undertake this challenge. Please describe your approach and elaborate with examples of the types of maneuvers and or players you would target, as well as decisions about coaching staff, etc. In other words, what would be your ideal (but semi-realistic) blueprint for off-season consist of?

FOR THE SAKE OF CONSISTENCY, LET'S ASSUME THE PACERS WILL NOT TANK (UNINTENTIONALLY OF COURSE!) AND DON'T GET THE PROTECTION TO KICK IN ON THIS YEAR'S 1ST RD PICK. OR PROVIDE AN ALTERNATIVE SCENARIO IF YOU CAN'T RESIST THE TOP 10 TEMPTATION.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Re: Calling all PD fantasy Pacer GMs!!!!

This could be interesting, but takes some thinking and research. So feel free to present you ideas in multiple posts. At least that's what I'm thinking.

That said, one of the first things that jumps to my mind is looking in to Marc Iavaroni as a prime head coaching option.

EDIT: Yes definitely my ideal guy. Just needed to be sure I had my facts straight. Here's some reasons:
    -Viewed by coaches and GMs as a top lead assistant
    -NBA champ as player
    -Coached under Riley, Fratello, and now D'Antoni
    -Handles D and big man development with Suns

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Appears I'm posting to myself here, but I'd love to get some feedback.

So, other coaching prospects I'd throw in the mix with Iavaroni would be Lawrence Frank and Jeff Van Gundy. So I'll just say that would be my three top targets.

Next step is looking at player movement options. At minimum I would aggressively invsetigate trades with the following teams:

Minnesota
      Memphis
      LA Clips
      Seattle

All could be looking to deal due to their current performance levels. Both Memphis and the Clips would seem to be looking for PG reinforcements, thus a POSSIBLE interest in Tins. Minny and Memphis both have guys that could probably be worked into a JO swap in KG and Gasol, both of whom were at least rumored to be trade material. The Sonics had been rumored to be considering moving on of their PGs so if Tins goes I think that option has to be at least kept open.

Players that interest from those squads not yet named:

Sonics: Earl Watson
      Memphis: Kyle Lowry, high draft pick this summer
      Clips: Magette, Q Ross, Cat Mobley

Upcoming FAs of interest (IIRC): Chucky Atkins, Steve Blake, Rashard Lewis

OK so anybody want to take it from here or give some constructive criticism? This is where I begin to fall down a bit b/c I have only cursory knowledge of all factors impinging on trading players.

One question I would throw out there, your knowledge welcomed on this scenario. Let's say the Ps wanted to try and deal with a team like Memphis or Boston or somebody with a really high pick in this draft. Could picks be included with players from other squads for something invovling JO? How does this impact the salary deal? Would somebody with that size contract really only be tradeable for current players?

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

i think our main task should be to overhaul the point guard position. i would use foster, harrison, and tinsley as bait to upgrade the positition. i think ike and shawne need mins up front so i'm willing to part with foster, who IMO, will never have a higher trade value. i hate giving up on harrison, put he would probably be needed as sweetner in any deal. plus, we have another young center prospect in lorbek coming over next year, so that might ease the lose a little.

i am comfortable leaving the wing positions alone - i actually think granger, dunleavy, quis, and shawne have the potential down the road to man the wing positions on a champsionship caliber team. each player is unique and each player excels at least one major aspect of the position - quis (slashing), duleavey (passing, rebounding, IQ), granger (defense, shooting), shawne (rebounding, shooting).

the three things i would target using foster, tinsley, & harrison are a draft pick, defensive minded point guard, and cap space. one team that i keep coming back to is the phoenix suns. they have 3 picks in this years draft and if my memory serves me right, they were in a similar situation a year or two ago. didn't they unload some of those 1st rounders for next to nothing b/c they were so cap straddled??? i'm sure they may do it again this year having 3 picks - probably keep ATL's pick (johnson trade) and then shop the other two (their own pick and the cav's pick)

first i would try to move tinsley for some expiring contracts to a team like the lakers, hawks, rockets, clippers, cavs, or any other team in need of a point guard. i would then package those expiring contracts with foster and harrison and offer the deal to the suns for say kurt thomas (expiring contract), marcus banks, and one of their 3 first rounders.

i believe phoenix would have interest in the deal. foster is an upgrade IMO over kurt thomas, especially on that team. harrison is a nice young cheap big for them to take a look at, and they get back some expiring contracts they lost in kurt thomas. they also unload a player they don't use/want in marcus banks.

we could use the pick on a young point like dominic james, acie law, etc. marcus banks is a nice young point guard who IMO is well above average at the defensive end. kurt thomas would give us 8 million off the cap in the summer of 2008. maybe use our MLE on a unrestricted point guard like blake, atkins, etc.

Comment

I think the first thing that needs to be done is blowing up the coaching staff. I would keep Carlise as head coach & demote Person to shooting coach, everyone else is fired.

First I would bring in a top notch defensive minded assistant.

Second I would bring in the best big man coach that I could find.

On to the team...

Bird, & to a lesser extent Walsh, have all but said Tinsley will be moved so a point guard that fits Carlise's system will be brought in. I hope that player is a veteran & that a promising young point guard can be added as well.

I believe O'Neal will want out so adding the above pieces will be much easier. With any luck we can get a late lottery or mid first rounder out of this as well.

Finally I would look for the second coming of Byron Scott. By this, I mean, bring in a free agent that is in the final years of his career that has at least one championship to his credit. Robert Horry comes to mind but I'm sure there are other too.

In short, I'd rebuild the coaching staff & use O'Neal & Tinsley to restruct the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
            Bird, & to a lesser extent Walsh, have all but said Tinsley will be moved so a point guard that fits Carlise's system will be brought in. I hope that player is a veteran & that a promising young point guard can be added as well.
            I like the idea of bringing in a vet PG and a young potential PG prospect at once. Certainly, DA could mentor a young guy, but we need him plus two other guys.

Now in PU101s scenario, I could also buy into getting Banks and adding the young PG assuming DA is still here to mentor both.

Speaking of this idea, does anybody think Law will rise more or are the early teens projections going to hold? He's really improved his outside shot IMO and we know he's crunch-time tested. What do you guys think about his handles/passing/running the team outlook as an NBA point? I really like him but that's the only question area for me.

-Emiliano Zapata

Comment

Originally posted by D-BONE View Post
              Let's say the Ps wanted to try and deal with a team like Memphis or Boston or somebody with a really high pick in this draft. Could picks be included with players from other squads for something invovling JO? How does this impact the salary deal? Would somebody with that size contract really only be tradeable for current players?
              Yes, picks can be included in a trade for JO or anyone else.

Unsigned draft picks always count -0- in a trade, whether the trade occurs before, during, or after the draft. So that part of figuring out, if salaries match in a trade, is easy.

Trading can resume as soon as the season ends for a team. However, players currently on the roster who will not be under contract as of July 1, can't be included in a trade. Kandi man, for example, for Boston. McLeod for the Pacers.

Comment

I have 2 options. Both will involve doing the following:

- resign Baston to a reasonable 2 year deal to play as a rotational 4th/5th Big Man roleplayer.
                - acquire a 3rd tier backup SG that can be used as a 3pt shooting and/or defensive roleplayer through FA signing or trade ( of the remaining players still on the payroll ).
                - make Armstrong an assistant coach.

My "Defcon 4" plan - Make minimal change to the roster but make a change in the Coaching staff

- Politely move Carlisle to the Front Office.
                - Get the best defensive minded coach available ( as to who that is.....I have no idea ).
                - TPTB decide not to trade JONeal and somehow convince JONeal to stay.
                - Keep the existing core of Tinsley, Dunleavy, Murphy, Marquis ( the 4 expensive players on the roster that no one would want ), JONeal, Granger ( the 2 players that are important to the team that many teams would want ), Ike and Shawne to see how it would do under a different coach.
                - Try to package Foster with one of the remaining players for a solid backup Guard ( preferably a PG or at worst a SG that can defend or shoot the 3pt shot reliably ) and a 2007 2nd round ( early to mid-round ) draft pick. If we can't get a solid player in return, then we keep Foster.

This plan is primarily based around keeping JONeal, Granger, Ike and Shawne....which means not packaging them with Tinsley for an upgrade at the backcourt ( the only realistic way that we can make any real upgrade to the backcourt while trading Tinsley ).....and therefore not be in the position to make any significant moves ( simply cuz no one is going to want to take on our remaining big Contracts ). The thought is that if there is going to be a major change....its not going to be through a major roster shift....but through a new coach, how the players ( primarily JONeal and Tinsley ) is going to respond to the resulting change in the coaching philosophy and therefore how the offense/defense will be run. As to who the new coach will be....I don't want an offensive minded coach ( like Adelman ) cuz we are NEVER going to be an Euro-style up-tempo team that can outsore the other team that has a lot of ball/player movement that Bird envisions us to be ( given the existing core of players )....we need a defensive minded coach that can emphasize defense and can be stern with the players.

My "Defcon 1" plan - Do whatever it takes to get a new Starting Backcourt and ( possibly ) make a change in the Coaching Staff

- Try to package Tinsley with Foster ( 1st ), then Shawne ( 2nd ), then Granger ( 3rd ), then JONeal ( as an absolute last resort ) to try to acquire the best Starting PG and SG that can be had. If JONeal or Granger have to be used to move Tinsley...then we have to get 1st or 2nd tier Guard at either of the positions while getting back a StAlthough most of us don't like it, IMHO....the only way that we are going to make any decent upgrade at the backcourt and/or move Tinsley is to package JONeal with him to get the type of player that we are going to need to make a difference. Unless we are able to somehow make a lateral move at the starting PG spot while getting another SG WITHOUT moving JONeal ( which IMHO is not likely to happen ), then there maybe very little that we can do but blow it all up. The only hope that I have is that we can pawn off Tinsley to the Lakers...get whatever we can get for him....then offer the BIGGEST contract offer that we can afford to get Steve Blake ( who I think has shown alot of what he is capable of doing if given a starting PG role in Denver ). Either way...we are likely looking at getting the best starting Backcourt that we can get while building around a core of Granger, Dunleavy, Murphy, Marquis, Foster, Shawne and Ike.
                - If TPTB decide to literally blow it all up....then the next move is to get a new coaching staff...but I don't think that they will go this far if they decide to trade JONeal.

This is a futile attempt to try to continue to build up on what mess was already started. I would hope that we would go with the "Defcon 4" option or even something in between.....but I think that JONeal will push the issue and ask for a trade and we will be forced to go with the "trade JONeal scenario".
                Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

1. Switch up the coaching staff.

Interviewing these guys as starters...Johnny Davis, Gar Heard, Mark Aquirre

2.Do not resign these players...Rawle Marshall, Maceo Baston, Darrell Armstrong or Keith McLeod.

3.Try to package Orien Greene, David Harrison and Mike Dunleavy for Damon Stoudamire, Brian Cardinal and a second round draft pick.

That would leave me with these players...

Tinsley and Damon as my point guards.
                  Daniels as my shooting guard.
                  Granger and Williams as my small forwards.
                  JO, Diogu and Cardinal as my power forwards.
                  Foster and Murphy as my centers.

I would show interest in these free agents...

Greg Buckner
                  Morris Peterson
                  James Posey
                  Mikki Moore

I'd also invite these guys in for looks to fight for my final point guard spot...

Mateen Cleaves
                  Frank Williams
                  Will Conroy
                  Clay Tucker

and roster filler considering I wont have the money to sign all 6 guys I listed above and I need 5 bodies to fill out the roster.

Alan Anderson
                  Ndudi Ebi
                  Dijon Thompson
                  Chris Copeland
                  Mike Hall
                  Justin Williams

That's alot of work I'll just keep complaining.
                  I'm in these bands
                  The Humans
                  Dr. Goldfoot
                  The Bar Brawlers
                  ME

Comment

My PG FA list:

1 ) PG - Steve Blake
                    2 ) PG - Mo Williams
                    3 ) PG - Smush Parker
                    4 ) PG - Chucky Atkins
                    5 ) PG - Travis Deiner
                    6 ) PG - Eddie House
                    7 ) PG - Jacque Vaughn

My FA SG List:

1 ) SG - Desmond Mason
                    2 ) SG - Morris Peterson
                    3 ) SG - Dahntay Jones
                    4 ) SG - Mickael Pietrus
                    5 ) SG - Matt Carroll

I would love to get a huge FA...but I doubt that we have that much money to spend. As I mentioned before....I really hope that we put as much money towards an offer for either Steve Blake or Desmond Mason ( to at least make a run of some sort for either of them )....but I'm guessing that we will get some 3rd/4th tier backup Guard with the limited amount of money that we have.

Comment

I haven't really ready through everyone else's suggestions yet.
                      However I have been thinking on what this team is missing.
                      Obviously there is more than one area of concern.
                      Assuming JO stays, I would throw everything I had into snagging Ray Allen from the Sonics I would try and hold out on including Granger, but if push came to shove, I'm about winning so I would do whatever it took to get him.

We really do not have a legit #2 scorer , or a lethal 3pt shooter.
                      He would bring alot of great things to the club, certainly comparable to #31.
                      If you could land him, I think a few other things would fall into place.

Assuming we didn't give up our '08 pick to land Allen, I would trade that pick for an '07 1st rounder and of course target a PG. If he is a raw talent type guard you keep Tins around for a little longer, if he is a more mature Sr. type PG you trade Tins for a hard nosed perimeter defender.

You probably have to change coaches, but not because you are neccesarily going to find a better one than Carlisle, but just because a new voice would be needed at this point. JVG would be my first option, I'm not so sure that I may even go after Mike Brown if the Cavs exit early again.

Why Not Us ?

Comment

Rebuilding the Pacers (My Plan):

This Year -

Commit to playing Ike and JO together for at least 20 minutes a game. The organization needs to know if these two can play together. If it becomes apparent that they can't, one of them needs to go in the offseason.

Give McLeod and Greene more minutes at the PG spot. It is important to discover whether or not either one of these guys can be kept around as a viable backup.

Teach Marquis Daniels how to shoot. If he can develop into a 35% 3 point shooter he'll score 20 ppg, without question.

Explore the possibility of Williams playing PF. He's a good rebounder, but his problem at this position will be defense. Let him learn on the job.

The offseason:

Players who will be staying (for sure): Dunleavy & Murphy (contracts), Daniels (contract + potential).

Players who I'd like to keep: JO, Ike, Shawne, Danny, Foster, Baston

Players about whom I do not care: DA, Greene, Marshall, Harrison, McLeod, Tinsley. (This is assuming that neither Greene nor McLeod looks like a viable #2)

Priority #1: Get a real PG. This needs to be someone who can shoot and defend. Those would be my top 2 priorities. A drive and kick guy would be nice, but Daniels can do that. There are 3 types of players to consider: Free Agents, NBA Youngsters, and Draft Guys.

FA's (We won't be able to spend more than the mid-level, and there are no great options.):

1. Charlie Bell - Combo guard, but better defensively at the point. Good shooter/scorer. Doesn't make stupid mistakes. I'd rather have him than Williams (much better defender + cheaper), even though he's not a true PG.

2. Mo Williams (Explore a sign & trade using Tins + Ike, Shawne, or Danny as bait; Be cautious with this, because he's not a good defender.)

3. Chucky Atkins - Cheap veteran, pair him with a promising youngster.

4. Smush Parker - Worth considering as long as you don't overpay.

5. Steve Blake - Bad defender, but good as a pass-first PG.

Gettable Youngsters (There are many. It all depends on what you want to give up):

1. Devin Harris: The best available, but how much do you want to give up?

2. Jose Calderon: Pure PG who is a good defender. Not a great shooter. Will be expensive.

3. Jarret Jack: Very good defender. Very solid starter. Improving as a shooter

4. Delonte West: Good shooter, solid defender. Would do well paired with Daniels, as West's not a drive and dish kind of guy.

5. Jordan Farmar: Has potential, but is not quite ready yet. Pair with Atkins.

6. Chris Duhon: Very good defender, good shooter. As with West, the knock on him is that he's not a drive & dish kind of guy.

7. Luther Head: Read West & Duhon.

8. Carlos Arroyo: Flashy & moderately solid. Questionable shooting + Defense

Draft Guys (It's not a strong PG draft):

1. Acie Law IV: I'd take this guy over any of the freshman. Does everything a point guard should. Knows when to take a backseat to teammates and when to take over. Hit's big shots. Is big & strong enough to defend any PG in the league. He'll be a top 10 pick.

2. DJ Augustin, Mike Conley, Javaris Crittenton: All freshmen, it's unlikely more than one of these guys will come out. None of them will be huge contributors in their first year, and they should be paired with Atkins or another capable vet. Look for them in the 15-25 range.

Overall list in order of desire:

1. Devin Harris
                        2. Acie Law IV
                        3. Jose Calderon
                        4. Delonte West
                        5. Charlie Bell
                        6. Mo Williams
                        7. Atkins + Farmar/Conley/Augustin/Crittenton
                        8. Duhon
                        9. Head
                        10. Parker
                        11. Blake

More later. This is a long post and I actually need to get some work done.
                        "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Slade View Post
                          I haven't really ready through everyone else's suggestions yet.
                          However I have been thinking on what this team is missing.
                          Obviously there is more than one area of concern.
                          Assuming JO stays, I would throw everything I had into snagging Ray Allen from the Sonics I would try and hold out on including Granger, but if push came to shove, I'm about winning so I would do whatever it took to get him.

We really do not have a legit #2 scorer , or a lethal 3pt shooter.
                          He would bring alot of great things to the club, certainly comparable to #31.
                          If you could land him, I think a few other things would fall into place.

Assuming we didn't give up our '08 pick to land Allen, I would trade that pick for an '07 1st rounder and of course target a PG. If he is a raw talent type guard you keep Tins around for a little longer, if he is a more mature Sr. type PG you trade Tins for a hard nosed perimeter defender.

You probably have to change coaches, but not because you are neccesarily going to find a better one than Carlisle, but just because a new voice would be needed at this point. JVG would be my first option, I'm not so sure that I may even go after Mike Brown if the Cavs exit early again.
                          I'm not sure that we have anything ( short of JONeal ) that could land Ray Allen.....even if we were to give up Granger or Ike. The only chance that I think that we have for landing Ray Allen is to package JONeal with Tinsley for Allen and either Ridnour or Watson.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention in the first post is that I would keep Carlisle. If you want to know why, read TBird's recent post.

Now on to what you've all been waiting for...

Step #2 - Add a real C to the roster.

There are few of these guys in the league, and most of them are overpayed. In my opinion, here's what a real C can do: Block shots, rebound, play solid physical post defense, and finish at the rim. A 10 foot jumpshot is a bonus, but not an essential.

Players to look at:

1. Zydrunas Ilgauskas
                            2. Chris Kaman
                            3. Samuel Dalembert
                            4. Kendrick Perkins
                            5. Brendan Haywood
                            6. Desagna Diop
                            7. Erick Dampier

Comments: None of these guys are great, but they can all do the things mentioned above while JO is the only guy on the current roster that can do all those things. Ilgauskas is the most talented. He and Dampier are the oldest and would only provide 2-3 year solutions. Haywood, Diop, and Perkins are the only ones with reasonable contracts. All these players average more than 1 block per game.

These may be the only two steps I would take in the offseason, but I think they should be enough to get the team back toward the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference.
                            "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Comment

I am much more worried about our guard rotation, which is probably the worst in the league, compared to our frontcourt rotation, which I can be reasonably contend with.

Regards,

Mourning
                              2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

Working...
                              X