Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Ok in another attempt to stimulate discussion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok in another attempt to stimulate discussion....

We already have a total free market system available to us. It's called cash.

Many of the elite in LA do NOT have health insurance, and they go to doctors who do NOT have malpractice insurance. It's an entire system of doctors who charge you 60% what it would otherwise cost and you sign all sorts of paperwork releasing the doctors of liability.

As I understand it, you get fantastic service for the money, including house calls, etc. It is truly the best care money can buy. And money buys it.

So what do you do if you don't have the $200,000 cash laying around to cover a serious illness or injury?

You slum it with the rest of the people. And here's where the mess starts.

Personally, I live above the 50% mark in America. (I'm not bragging, there's a point to this). As a small business owner, I have to buy my own insurance, and I have to buy the best insurance that I can afford. Even at my level of "comfort" I am ridiculously underinsured. In fact, it's $500/month with no outside help from employers or government, and if I go into the hospital, I have to pay $500/day out of pocket. That places me about 3 weeks in the hospital away from having 0 capital. Add to that lost wages (as a small business owner, I don't make money when I'm not working) and I soon won't be able to make my insurance payments.

Because I am a small business owner and insurance companies will not allow me to "group" with other small business owners to get the best rates from health care providers, everything is much more expensive to boot.

That's right, being a free-market entrepreneur places me at a severe disadvantage, yet when I talk to Republicans about how unfair the system is, they talk to me like I'm a welfare check cashing crack baby that needs to get a real job. It gets old fast.

If the wealthiest people were allowed to buy cars for 50% off, there would be an uproar. But if we're talking about chemo, sliding pay scales for the exact same service is fine? Sounds like a scam. That's because it IS a scam.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Comment

Long discussion in a short path:

there is an amount needed for healthace minus insurance for lawsuits, minus the profit fo the hospitals involved minus the disgusting profits for the pharma industry (no, they are not returning that money into their product, though a seperate discussion, their research delivers patents, the patens deliver way over market(costprice) prices and allow them to make Billions of profit each year, hence they should pay for it themselves and be happy with "less" profit" and yes that also goes for oilcompanies)= a gross national cost for healthcare.

this on general average will be around 2 - 3 % of the gross national income
      which in turn translates to approx 8 - 10% of the gross income of everyone counted over the first 50K

I.E: The Dutch model (in depth studied by the former administration in a hope of implementing parts into the American society)
      No not the UK model, that has so many disadvantages (specially the whitecollar criminals running the system and bleeding it dry with yet another study, outdated system of seniority when it comes to "seeing patients" etc) that such a system is doomed anyway but a system where you pay X part of your salary, and the employer pays another part to in total cover that "base" above mentioned, and to those who make more (or are willing to pay for it) leave open insurance so they can "enjoy" shorter waitlists on breast implants, chin-lifts and other non-essential surgery, perhaps in private hospital, single person rooms instead of 4 person rooms etc.

No need to ask what you make, no need for CC's ad admittance, nothing, you are taken care of, you want extra's, have insurance or pay, the entire cost include GP practise and (if available generic, otherwise branded) medicine.

Meanwhile forbid the free trips/computers/cars/financing etc of for instance the GP's prescribing certain medicines which cuts the overhead for the pharma industry considerably and you have a sustainable system where no one has to be uncomfortable when sick or go bankrupt after a sporting injury,
      So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
      Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

Originally posted by able View Post
        I.E: The Dutch model (in depth studied by the former administration in a hope of implementing parts into the American society)
        No not the UK model, that has so many disadvantages (specially the whitecollar criminals running the system and bleeding it dry with yet another study, outdated system of seniority when it comes to "seeing patients" etc) that such a system is doomed anyway but a system where you pay X part of your salary, and the employer pays another part to in total cover that "base" above mentioned, and to those who make more (or are willing to pay for it) leave open insurance so they can "enjoy" shorter waitlists on breast implants, chin-lifts and other non-essential surgery, perhaps in private hospital, single person rooms instead of 4 person rooms etc.
        Slightly off-topic, but I can certainly vouch for the Dutch medical system. I managed to break my hand whilst driving through Holland on my way to the World Cup. I found the whole process very reassuring - little paperwork, excellent care & minimum of fuss. Only problem was the bright orange cast that they were so keen to put on me

As for the level of care when I returned to the UK... less reassuring. Not sure I got "11% of my salary" value there.

Comment

Originally posted by Putnam View Post
          Jay, I'm not sure of the parentheses at the end of the quote indicates your preferred solution.

Why should one's quality of health care depend on the ability of his or her group to exert leverage...to negotiate lower prices, or simply to obtain coverage at all? Just because a person works for a small employer with less leverage, why should they get less coverage or none at all?

The only group that makes sense is the entire citizenry of the nation. There's a group with some leverage on the insurance companies.
          You're right, my parenthetical is "Step 1" toward the realization that the right way for "group" insurance is with the largest demographic group possible.

Step 1 is still better than completely eliminating the employer from healthcare without an alternative "group" structure in place. Although, imagine the outroar if IBM, Ernst & Young, Eli Lilly, and JP Morgan all discontinued group healthcare for their employees and they all had to pay market, individual (not group) rates. We'd make the jump to your option in no time.

The solution is messy, because it involves declaring the availability of healthcare as a "right", which conservatives don't want to admit because it means the the taxpayers are obligated to pay collectively for everyone's healthcare. However, there has not really been an acceptable alternative (to all interested parties) proposed by the left. Keep in mind, if we want people to go to all the hassle of medical school, they need to be compenstated well enough to pay off their enormous student loans and make an appropriate return on their investments. R&D companies need to be compensated well enough to make an appropriate return on their investements.

If this becomes a cost-squeezing exercise, a la Canada, there will be a shortage of doctors, nurses, and innovation. And then, everybody loses.

+ + + + + +

Bball, what you've described is actually a well-documented problem. The people that pay the most for medical care are the ones who can't afford insurance.
          Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
          Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
          Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
          Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
          And life itself, rushing over me
          Life itself, the wind in black elms,
          Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

Originally posted by Jay@Section19
            Keep in mind, if we want people to go to all the hassle of medical school, they need to be compenstated well enough to pay off their enormous student loans and make an appropriate return on their investments.
            Why not figure out a way to reduce the size of student loans necessary to get through medical school?

What percentage of practicing doctors are still paying on student loans anyway?

It would also seem a good move to pay medical school interns more, or, at least, give them larger credit toward their tuition payments. Aren't interns notoriously used as slave labor by hospitals.

Comment

This has been a wonderfull discussion. In fact one that is almost free of political preconceptions, which I find odd (fascinating but odd).

Of course I have a lot of thoughts on the entire subject however I have very little time tonight to go over it.

I will just make a few observations.

1. As with many things in America we are not pure. We are not a pure democracy, we are not a pure Republic & we are not a pure free market health care system.

As was asked of me earlier in this thread is Medicare a socialist system? Well you might as well throw in Medicaid as well when talking about this.

The short answer is no.

Why is it not socialized medicine? Simple, as a private health care provider you are not required by law to accept Medicare patients. Now you can't pick & choose what medicare patients you take so you either have to take all of them or none of them but you can choose to not take any federally subsidized health payor.

Now in America you can not practice normal medicine without having older people use you in most cases so it is a hard system to avoid.

However there are some providers than can get by without taking medicare. Dentist usually don't need the medicare money, plastic surgeons don't need it & there are others but most providers have to treat the elderly or disabled.

Medicare at it's inception was a good idea however about 10 years ago, or so, Medicare became a monster that is killing our nations health care system.

Why you may ask? At that point in time Medicare forced health care providers to accept assignment on all medical claims.

To breifly explain what "accept assignment" means to those of you who may not know is this. You are forced to accept whatever Medicare decides you should recieve for your service no matter what special needs or problems that impacted your care.

You only get 80% of what Medicare approves & you can only bill the patient the 20% that is not covered by Medicare.

In simple terms as an example.

You have a hospital bill for $1,000.00.

Medicare approves $200.00

Medicare will pay $160.00

The provider can bill the patient for $40.00

Now that is if the patient does not have Medicaid to go along with their Medicare. If the patient has Medicaid then you can not bill the patient a dollar & are forced to take $160.00 as your payment in full.

That sounds great doesn't it? Well, for people on Medicare it is helpfull I will not deny that.

However it's killing the rest of us & I'll tell you why.

Let's go back & take that $1,000.00 bill. A Medicare patient will only bring the Hospital $200.00 of that bill.

Hospitals cannot live on that kind of money at all, so how do you think that they make up for the defecits? They shift the cost to Insured patients & now Insurance companies are getting tired of being fleeced so they are negotiating with health care providers to accept a contracted rates. Why do Hospitals & others do this for insurance companies? Simple Insurers can tell their patients where they will & will not pay for their care.

So again now the Hospital bill for $1,000.00 might actually get $500.00 from Insurance companies. In some cases you can bill the patient the balance, however some contracts prohibit you from doing this so you are forced to accept $500.00 for you $1,000.00 dollar bill.

Again the Hospital can not lose this kind of money so where does the billing go? Now we go to the people who can least afford it, the uninsured.

These poor souls get socked for the entire $1,000.00. If your an honest person & actually trying to pay your bills you can easily bankrupt yourself by using our health care system. However just as often as not health care providers can not collect on the claims, try as they might.

Ok, I've got to stop now but I could go on & on about this.

I haven't even gotten to the cost of health care workers, liability insurance, supplies, overhead, etc., etc.

It's enough to make you insane.

Also I want to point this out for anybody here in the states that wants socialized medicine. The health care industry is one of the largest employers in the U.S. with some of the highest paying wages in some parts of the field. Do you really think our economy would be the same if we turned over the system to the gov?

I'll leave on this one last note & I hope to tackle this issue again tommorrow.

Torte reform is the one single thing that we could do to begin to lower the cost of health care & stem the flow of red (no it's not blood either).

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Originally posted by Los Angeles View Post
                We already have a total free market system available to us. It's called cash.

Many of the elite in LA do NOT have health insurance, and they go to doctors who do NOT have malpractice insurance. It's an entire system of doctors who charge you 60% what it would otherwise cost and you sign all sorts of paperwork releasing the doctors of liability.

As I understand it, you get fantastic service for the money, including house calls, etc. It is truly the best care money can buy. And money buys it.

So what do you do if you don't have the $200,000 cash laying around to cover a serious illness or injury?
                I believe we need to enable everyone to be like the rich. That is what I mean by a more free market system. Through vouchers and healthcare savings accounts, we need to help people have "insurance" for the really serious stuff. But what you describe is the model we should go for

Comment

Great summary, Peck. I look forward to the rest of your description of the problem.

And by the way, "What was Raymond doing with his hands?"
                  And I won't be here to see the day
                  It all dries up and blows away
                  I'd hang around just to see
                  But they never had much use for me
                  In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
                    I believe we need to enable everyone to be like the rich. That is what I mean by a more free market system. Through vouchers and health care savings accounts, we need to help people have "insurance" for the really serious stuff. But what you describe is the model we should go for
                    This may surprise you, but that is the direction I would go for adults also. But unless nearly everyone is able to pay for needed health care coverage at affordable prices, the system will always be FUBAR.

The very first step is to initiate annual medical savings accounts for EVERY adult as part of our tax system. Every American should start each year with an account for medical expenses of, say, as much as a thousand dollars a year. The expansion of these accounts by contributions of employees and employers, beyond the thousand dollar limit for singles and two thousand for couples, would also be a priority.

Additional assistance for those who can't afford full health care coverage would also be necessary. We do that now in a major way anyway with Medicaid, charitable private programs, and other assistance at every level of government.

States would need to create statewide insurance pools where anyone could buy supplemental insurance at the best prices. If we want to be free, the work place or government must not be the only place where one can buy good health care coverage.

Make health care coverage part of the unemployment compensation system.

Subsidize and encourage non-profit community health care centers where consumers can purchase needed testing and medical services at fair prices.

Major medical, catastrophic health care for everyone is critical. Health care providers will then be paid for expensive services provided, avoiding a major source of cost shifting in our current system. Also, if every adult has annual medical savings accounts combined with automatic catastrophic health care coverage, health insurance coverage becomes dramatically more affordable and competitive. The risk for those who want to provide health insurance has suddenly been lowered substantially, increasing competition in the insurance industry. Self-insurance by large businesses and governments also becomes more possible.

Take the need for families to finance health care for dependent children out of the equation and out of the work place...Read this one twice...Certainly universal health care for young Americans is necessary. Cover every kid; Make sure health care providers are always paid for their treatment. Give every kid a chance to grow up healthy and with proper medical care, regardless of the family situation they were born into. This policy is moral, just, and a good investment for society. Give parents the right to choose the kind of health care program they want for their child. And give them a default program, if they don't choose.

Cut out the bureaucracy as much as possible. See that providers get paid at the time of service as much as possible.

Make it a goal that consumers will be placed in charge of their own spending as much as possible.

Focus the health care system more on prevention, diagnostics, and healthy life styles, and less on paperwork and the billing and payment of medical services that have already been received.

I don't think it is politically possible to initiate a single payer plan in this country, as some of my liberal friends often propose. Nor, do I think a single payer plan is the best answer. What matters is that we find solutions that will make health care more affordable and accessible to all, especially to middle income citizens who get the short end of the stick in health care right now in my opinion.

A fair health care system for my country is my passion (along with the Pacers) I am ready to work for a presidential candidate of any party who will have the guts to propose a reasonable comprehensible plan for making health care in America affordable and as good a system as any in the world...If he or she will also have the honesty to discuss ideas about how we will pay for it on an ongoing basis...I understand nothing is free here, and everything has to be paid for...but the good news (and bad news) is that Americans are being ripped off by their current health care system and most of us are probably spending more for health care than we would if the system was fixed.

Americans already spend, in taxes, out of pocket, and in the private sector, nearly twice per person what citizens of other industrialized nations pay. There is room to find a solution. Our current system is full of waste and inequities - and the results, compared to other nations, in nearly every area of performance comparison are unspectacular. We can do better, but it ain't going to be easy. This is a huge hot potato with billions of dollars and powerful special interests in play. Obviously, change will not be easy, but it doesn't mean we can't encourage those who are willing to try to make things better.

Apologies for the length of this post. And I know few will read it, but, as I said, health care reform for the U.S. is a passion. And, the subject is definitely one that can not be covered with one-liners.

Comment

Last things first,

Also I want to point this out for anybody here in the states that wants socialized medicine. The health care industry is one of the largest employers in the U.S. with some of the highest paying wages in some parts of the field. Do you really think our economy would be the same if we turned over the system to the gov?
                      Bingo. Where do you draw the line? I, personally, want the government out of the medical/ scientific research business. That has been successfully commercialized so there is no reason for government-funded research. But if you include pharma and biotech tech companies inside the boundary of a socialized health care system, who is going to do the research? Most imporantly, who is going to make rational decisions about which research programs to pursue?

And if you exclude those companies from the socialized health care system, how do you justify paying the premiums to support the large R&D efforts?

R&D becomes the first casualty of socialized medicine. That's one of the many reasons that nearly all the R&D takes place in just a few locations.

Frankly, we should make it illegal for our businesses to sell to other developed countries/ economies at lower prices than for domestic sales. The US economy is paying the burden of R&D for the entire world, whether developed or not. I can understand selling drugs to impoverished countries in Africa for cost (or, perferably, giving them away as 'charity'.) But why should the Canadians, or Germans, be excused from paying the full burden of R&D just because they've elected socialized healthcare and then discovered that it is expensive and ineffecient.

Maybe I'm just pissed off because I've got the "by country" income statements for a major life sciences company up in excel right now, and the selling prices outside of the US and Japan are significantly different.
                      Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
                      Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
                      Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
                      Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
                      And life itself, rushing over me
                      Life itself, the wind in black elms,
                      Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

Originally posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
                        Last things first,
                        Bingo. Where do you draw the line? I, personally, want the government out of the medical/ scientific research business. That has been successfully commercialized so there is no reason for government-funded research.
                        Do you have any experience in this area? I don't mean this to be offensive, but I can't tell from your post whether you're actually aware of how research is conducted.

Funding by the goverment, including the National Science Foundation and particularly the National Institutes of Health, right now accounts for such a massive amount of the research that goes on in this country that privatization would drastically redefine biomedical science as we know it. There is an incredible difference between research conducted by large private, pharmaceutical companies and that conducted by smaller entrepeneurial groups and academic institutions. Each has its advantages, but the latter (mostly academic) is largely dependant on the government. There are many studies that show the work done at these insitutions contributes greatly to biomedical science (perhaps more than the work done by pharmaceuticals); for example, most of the end-stage clinical trials are conducted at academic teaching hospitals sponsored by NIH grants (and you can see how having the pharmaceuticals pay for it might be a massive conflict of interest). If you actually know something about this and would like to propose an argument for cutting the NIH, I'd like to hear it, but I don't know how many people in the field would agree with you.
                        2010 IKL Fantasy Basketball Champion Baltimore Bulldogs

Comment

I don't know enough of this topic to say which system is better.

Here, we have a system that everyone is obligated to have a health insurance policy that's provided by commercial insurance companies. The range of how you want to insure yourself depends on what you want. However, health insurance companies are mandated by law on what to the very least should be included in their cheapest package. This makes sure that everyone atleast is insured for the most basic stuff.

We pay for health care in taxes and we pay for the insurance policy which as written above can be pretty wide ranging or more limited, depending on what you want. But, everyone needs to have an insurance. IF you don't have it, you are black listed. The hospital still has the duty to take you in if you need medical care, but you pay the costs or a large part of it as far as I understood (this system was introduced jan. 1st this year).

People who don't make a lot of costs get part of what they paid back through the government. It's not much, but it's meant to atleast stimulate people to not go to hospitals too fast or not to take medicine too fast (I heard that even before this system was introduced that on average Dutch citizens don't use a lot of pharmaceuticals compared to forexample other Europeans for relatively light stuff, head eaches, fever those sort of things).

I like the basis of our system, but there are somethings that need to be weeded out.

I heard that in the US, and I don't know if I'm correct about that, you can pay hundreds of dollars each month for health care insurancy. I pay about Eur 125.-- per month for one of the most extensive packages (extensive dental inc. and no own-risk). I don't know, maybe it has to do with beying obligated to have an health insurance here?

Different systems.

Regards,

Mourning
                          2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

Working...
                          X