Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Things we learned from the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we learned from the playoffs

Originally posted by KnicksRGarbage View Post
    ...am very frustrated by the comments made by josh after game 5 regarding his ejection...Kind of a slap in the face to Danny if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I stuck up for one of my teammates in a situation like this and they say something like Josh did.
    I'm not a McRoberts fan, but I think you're reading way too much into it. If anything, Josh took the high road and Danny just needs to shut up.
    "Reggie Miller is the hardest player to guard." --Kobe Bryant

"Playing Reggie Miller drives me nuts. It's like chicken-fighting with a woman." --Michael Jordan

Comment

The hate for hibbert around here is just crazy. The man is 25 years old.. Not 35. The center position takes longer to fully develop than any other position. Also most act as if good quality centers grow on trees and they most certainly do not.

Roy is still a young center. Why trade Roy now and have him become dominant on another team? We are going to have to continue to be patient with him, after all patience is what got us to the current bright state of the team right now.
      GO PACERS!!!

Twitter: @Circlecity3318

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald View Post
        I'm not a McRoberts fan, but I think you're reading way too much into it. If anything, Josh took the high road and Danny just needs to shut up.
        Bingo
        GO PACERS!!!

Twitter: @Circlecity3318

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Tyme View Post
          Rush is cut from the same bolt of cloth as his brothers. It well could be Brandon will be spoken about in the near future as Kareem in "where are they now?"

I truly regret the Pacers lost out on the Bobcats trade for Augustin, Henderson, and Nazr for Ford and Rush.
          A lot of people, including myself, already as that question about Brandon.

Comment

Originally posted by SMosley21 View Post
            A lot of people, including myself, already as that question about Brandon.
            The thing is, Brandon is a better player than his brother, and should at least stick around the league quite a bit longer because he's an above average defender and a more consistent shooter. The problem is, he could be a lot more than this! Sometimes, you just forget he's on the court. If he's fallen out of favor with Vogel, a player's coach, then maybe he just doesn't what it takes.

Comment

Great post. Here is what I learned, but not just from the playoffs. From the time that Frank replaced JOB:

1) I don't think there is hate for Roy as some have mentioned, but I think many people, including me, think that he has issues that you cannot teach to. He is just not the aggressive/assertive guy that we had hoped for. Now, having said this, onto point #2.
              2) I learned that with the right guy at the helm, a team can make an astronomical progression in a very short time. With this in mind, I am more than willing to see what Frank can do with Roy as well as DC, who is also someone that many are not sold on, but hey, it's just his second year.
              3) So, I am high on Frank b/c of the amazing body of work he was able to do in a relatively short time. He deserves a 3 year contract. I would like to see him have Roy and DC work their butts off and hopefully arrange for the Pacers will bring in some folks to work with them this offseason.
              4) I would like to see Danny, DC, Tyler, PG, Roy and Jeff back next season. I thank Mike, TJ, Posey, Rush and Solo for their efforts, but it's time for them to move on. On the fence about AJ, but maybe someone could work with him this summer as well. But..bye-bye Lance! Would love for Josh to stick around, but not willing to pay a high price.

Comment

I learned that veteran experience makes a difference because I was just trying to think who I felt were the players I felt were the most consistent and reliable for the time they played, and I thought of Danny, Jeff, and Dahntay.

Looking at the whole team, I'll start with point guards and work my way down.

Darren's ankle injury was a major bummer because I thought he was stepping up to the moment with his offensive game. He fizzled out, but it's impossible to know what % of that was the injury and what % was just him/basketball.

I'm okay with DC coming back as the starter because I think he has room to grow and I think offensively he can be as potent as Danny Granger. That doesn't mean I'm happy with his court vision and passing, because I'm not. If you can get a better floor general who, overall, is no worse than DC, you probably ought to get him.

AJ didn't bother me as much as he bothered Peck because when he's in the game with Rush/Jones, Dunleavy, McRoberts, and Foster, his options are basically call a play to try to get Rush or Mike open for a jump shot, pick and roll, or iso. If you lean on Mike and Brandon for your offense in the playoffs you're usually screwed, and a pick and roll with Josh (especially crippled Josh) and Jeff means the majority of the time your best option is to shoot or drive yourself, and after that it's just iso plays. So I understand why he played like a scoring guard. I can live with AJ if he can figure out how to raise his FG%.

Lance Stephenson: _________________. Next.

TJ Ford. Professional, nice guy, seems to get along with the others. Good player, to a point, but not someone you want to rely upon. I think he'll find a new team that can put him to some use.

Shooting guards.

I'm ready to move on from Dunleavy. I'm ready to move on from Rush. If I had to choose to keep one, it'd easily be Rush because good teams can usually find use for a guy like him to try to shut a single player down while knocking down shots. Dunleavy's been discussed to death, but I think it's obvious that in a playoff atmosphere his skills are less usable than normal.

Dahntay Jones is another piece that's good to have around in the playoffs. Similar to Rush with regards to it being nice to have a good wing defender, though obviously he can't be counted on to hit shots. Still, in very limited doses, he can create offense for you and bring toughness.

Paul George is obviously a keeper and the big question is how much better he can be offensively. He'll show flashes of being able to create his own shots from about 15 feet and nail them, but he needs to be able to do that about 5x as much as he currently does it. Other than that, I really, really hope he can learn to not be so limp-wristed when he tries to finish at the rim. Too many soft, soft, way below the rim, layup attempts. In the immortal words of Bill Walton, "THROW IT DOWN!!!". But defensively, I think anyone who paid attention now realizes this kid has 1st team all-defense, perhaps defensive player of the year ability, and we got a nice, extended look at that aspect of his game. He could be a monster defensively.

Small forwards.

Danny Granger consistently showed up. I admit I've tuned out on Danny and take him for granted. I became jaded when I realized he was never going to be the consistent two-way player I know/thought he could be, and offensively, I still hate it when he forces the action, but the truth remains that in the playoffs, against a terrific defensive team, he put up very solid numbers and proved we have a very good small forward. Not a superstar by any means, but a borderline all-star like Rip Hamilton was for Detroit. A keeper that can drive you nuts.

Oh God I just realized I've been brainwashed. I tucked Mike Dunleavy's comments up in the shooting guard section because I've been overexposed to the concept of him as a 2 for too many years here in Indiana. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

James Posey has not been here long enough for me to mistakenly list him with the power fowards. I realize that's where he played 99% of the time due to his inability to be effective at the 3 anymore, but that's ultimately what he is: A broken down small forward who can 'technically' be used at the 4 for small ball. He's clearly washed up, and my only interest in him is his now expiring contract of about $7.5 million we might be able to use as trade bait next year.

Power forwards.

We have no starter. We have two players who can masquerade as a starter, but it's just an act.

Josh McRoberts. I've never been in love with Josh as much as his biggest fans, but if your choices are he and Tyler, Josh is the better choice to pair with DC, Danny, and Roy. But that doesn't for a second mean I view him as a starting-quality player. He's interesting, he's selectively very talented (passing, finish, and dribbling), but he still has a lot of flaws that I don't think will ever be upgraded to the level of his current strengths. I also don't like the signs here and there that he's still a bit too immature. That used to be a bigger red flag in his past, and I think he's grown, but it's still there.

Tyler Hansbrough. I love scrappy, busting-their-asses-to-maximize-their-abilities guys like him, and I love underdogs, which, in this league, he clearly is. I think he's the cliche 'winner' that you always like to have on your team in terms of high-energy/effort, no quit, tough-as-nails, and willing/able to hit big shots. I think he's just 'regular athletic' as opposed to 'under athletic', I think he's more skilled than he's often given credit for, and I think he's proven the skeptics wrong who thought he would never succeed in this league.

With all of that said, he's still too small, he's not athletic enough to be a starting power forward, he's not offensively reliable, he needs serious work in the passing department as well as with his defensive awareness, and sometimes he thinks he's better than he is, to the detriment of his team.

Between the two, it's just a matter of who would you rather be our backup 4. I would rather bring Tyler Hansbrough off my bench than Josh McRoberts.

Centers.

Roy Hibbert. I haven't given up on him, but I'm certainly not optimistic anymore. I firmly believe we will not do better than Roy at the 5, and I also believe year 3 isn't necessarily a young, developing center's moment of truth. Those are why I think our best bet is to just wait him out, accept you almost certainly won't get a better center any time soon, and just keep trying to get more talented in other ways at other positions. Roy can't handle physical, playoff basketball. I was disappointed in how he regressed at dunking the ball. During the regular season, he was getting better and better at throwing it down in the paint, but it seemed like he really regressed in the post season.

With Roy, I see a hard-working, skilled, good-intentioned young man with his head on his shoulders. But I also see a guy whose body was barely meant to play basketball (I only say that because if I say a body wasn't meant to play basketball, it'd be someone whose body keeps breaking down). He's still awkward and gets off-balance too easily. I want him to strengthen his legs, but ultimately it's going to come down to improving his balance. Get big men to keep beating him up on the block this summer and drill, drill, drill at getting off his moves and finishing with all of that contact. Learn to find your balance while you're getting bumped around.

There's still hope for Roy.

Jeff Foster. Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. Love what he brings, love his legacy with this team, and I'd welcome him back for another couple years, if he can handle it. Nothing else needs to be said, really. We all know what he does, and he's proven that he can still bring it in spades when it matters the most. I hope he retires a Pacer. Maybe Herb will give him an Acura when he retires.

Solomon Jones. I'm done with him. He has some ability, but not enough ability for me to care about him. Enter the Stanko.

-----

So what does that make the blue print look like?

Well, let's start with what I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable with our starting shooting guard, our starting small forward, our backup power forward, and our backup center.

That would be Paul George, Danny Granger, Tyler Hansbrough, and Jeff Foster.

So I guess the first thing I'll add to the 2011 To Do List is re-sign Jeff Foster.

Next, who would I not think twice about losing? I'll list them all, but keep in mind I like some of them.

TJ Ford, AJ Price, Lance Stephenson, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy, James Posey, Josh McRoberts, Solomon Jones.

So next on the To Do List is to let Ford, Dunleavy, McRoberts, and Jones leave, though explore sign-and-trades just in case.

Next on the To Do List is explore yet another possible trade of Brandon Rush. If you like what you see, take it.

AJ Price I can take or leave. He's got a non-guaranteed contract, so I'm totally fine with exploring other possibilities at the backup point guard spot.

So next on the To Do List is to try to get a new backup point with more experience who is preferably much bigger and stronger than DC. Jarrett Jack comes to mind. If he hadn't totally scared me away with all that BS drama in Detroit, I'd mention Rodney Stuckey as a thought, but I'm very gunshy with anyone from the 2011 Pistons. Otherwise, a veteran like Felton is interesting.

That leaves the folks who I acknowledge that an upgrade would be preferred, but I doubt we'll do better, and/or I also don't think they're that bad.

Darren Collison, Dahntay Jones, Roy Hibbert.

It's hard to decide where to put Dahntay. Ultimately I'm okay with him, though preferably as the 4th or 5th wing.

Look, I see what you all see with DC and Roy's weaknesses. They both drive me crazy on occasion. But I seriously doubt we do better any time soon, so get used to them. Thankfully, they're not a total lost cause, and they both very well might improve.

----

So let's see:

Summary of the To Do List (in no particular order)

* Re-sign Jeff Foster
                * Let Ford, Dunleavy, McRoberts, and Jones walk, explore sign-and-trades if applicable
                * Place Stephenson, Rush, and Posey on the trading block
                * Be open to trading anyone else, but don't lose sleep over it
                * Be looking for a better starting point guard and a better starting center, but don't hold your breath
                * Heavily pursue a superior starting power forward who brings a lot of size, doesn't get pushed around, and the more athletic the better
                * Look for a superior backup point guard with more size, strength, and experience
                * Look for a superior backup shooting guard who can create his own offense
                * Look for a new backup small forward who hopefully plays better defense than Dunleavy
                * Look for Jeff Foster's successor (Stanko?)

Collison/New bPG or AJ Price
                George/New bSG or Dahntay Jones or Brandon Rush
                Granger/New bSF
                New PF/Hansbrough
                Hibbert/Foster

That should hopefully be the worst case scenario roster when the season starts.

If we keep the 15th pick, I'd hope we take a stab at a backup 3 or 5.

Comment

Why do we have to spend all our cap relief this offseason? Do we want to repeat what Detroit did with Gordon and CharlieV?

Sit on most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks View Post
                    So I guess the first thing I'll add to the 2011 To Do List is re-sign Jeff Foster.
                    I definitely agree, especially if Mackey Rose gives his blessing!

Besides re-signing Jeff, the other matter that should be settled independent of any other is to sign Vogel to a 3 year contract.

Comment

What I learned, these guys have a lot of heart. They are capable of playing really good defense, and are capable of competing with elite teams. We've known this all year, as they've shown flashes, but to do it for four games in a row..I was proud. It's unfortunate, we really should have been more in this series.

Individual players

I'm still on DC's side. He didn't have a great playoff series after the ankle turn. And he dribbles around in circles too much, but he also can make some really good plays and is a good scorer. He's not everyone's ideal point guard, but certainly give him another year of development.

It's extremely difficult to learn the PG position. Collison had had to learn 4 or 5 different offenses because he's had 4 or 5 different coaches. He was put in a position that had a lot of pressure on him, and for the first half of the season, was in an offense that didn't suit him at all. And in the playoffs, he showed a lot of toughness. From the first game of going right at Rose, to the third game of playing despite his injury. He's a second year guy, he needs to develop. Over the summer he needs to work on controlling his body, controlling the ball, and controlling the team. To me, that's his biggest problem.

Roy Hibbert needs to get stronger, mentally and physically. And mentally is a bigger issue. I don't know what Jimmy did to him, because I don't remember him being this soft mentally in college. But he needs to come out of it and get his head on straight. No more getting too high or too low. He also needs to strengthen his core. He gets pushed around too easily.

I was really hoping Roy would have a fantastic season. When a guy works as hard as Roy did, you really want him to succeed. And he had some really good moments this season and this series, but overall, I expected him to be better. I still think he has the potential to be better, and I fully expect him to work just as hard this summer. But I don't know that he's got the mentality for being anything more than a solid starter. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just an age + Jimmy thing.

AJ Price, has some how become the new whipping boy. One mistake or one bad shot seemed to equal omgihateajhesux!! Good timing, seeing as Dun unfortunately most likely won't be back. I would have thought people would be more reasonable with their expectations for AJ this season, but whatever. He actually played very well in the playoffs overall. He didn't play like some wanted him too (me included) but he played well.

That said, the mentality change from AJ bothers me more than anyone here. I've watched the kid for a long time. Being a court general, is the best part of his game. In fact, it's the reason I'm a fan. Don't get me wrong, he always got his confidence from shooting. But he always had a fantastic balance of knowing when to look for his own shot and when to set others up. On the one hand, given the lineups he was put on the floor with, and that I think Vogel looked at him as a primary scorer, I understand why he played the way he played. But..whether it was simply his role for this season, whether it was scars from O'brien, or whether AJ just made a sudden switch in on court personality for whatever reason, I hope that his focus over the summer (other than no knee injuries kthx) is to get back to playing like a "court general" and getting his mind back into the better balance he once had. (he can also work on defense and a more consistent shot..)

Tyler and Josh, to me they go together. My dream scenario is to keep them both, have Josh play backup Center (getting stronger) Tyler play backup PF, and get a PF. The Pacers need a better defender and rebounder up front next to Roy. And Neither Tyler or Josh are ever going to become that. But I adore them both (so I hate the fighting over them..) and hope we keep both. (Not so worried about keeping Tyler..)

I'd like them both to work on their midrange shot. As I said, Josh needs to get stronger, Tyler needs to work on passing. But I like what each one brings to the table.

Danny Granger really showed up this series. That was what I needed to see from him. He shot well, he defended well. He led the team. He stuck up for Josh and Tyler when Noah went after them. This series made me like Danny Granger more than I ever have. And I never got on the "Blame Danny" train.

Is he elite. No, I don't think so. He's not Kobe Lebron, Durant or Wade. But there are only four of those guys. I think he's certainly in the next tier. We just need another guy equal to him in talent..and to wait until Paul George develops.

Jeff Foster..If he wants to come back, he should get to come back. He can clearly still contribute. He was great in this series. Which was great to see. If he retires, this is probably a really good way to go.

Dahntay is Dahntay and Brandon is Brandon. At this point they are what they are, and if you like them you like them, and if you don't you don't. I personally like them both in a limited role. But we only need one of them.

and finally Paul George. Paul George's defense is really spectacular. The way he played Rose was fantastic, and he should get an unlimited amount of praise for it. I just..could go on and on about how excited I am about this kid. Because I honestly, 100% believe, that Paul George has the potential to be one of the best players in this league. He has the offensive and defensive skills, wait until they develop. To me, Paul George is the only guy who is off limits in terms of trading this season. Like, completely off limits unless someone wants to give us an elite talent for him. I'm not typically huge on potential. But my god..

And to me, this was not a coming out party for Paul George. This was just a glimpse of him. I think, like Hibbert, he's got the work ethic to really improve. And he seems like a smart kid with a good mentality too. So all signs point to really really good things for him.

For over the summer, we need a starting PF more than anything. I also think we need an SG that can score, not for long, because I expect PG to get there..and if we just wanted to roll with PG and quickly develop him that's fine, but I wouldn't mind getting an SG that can score, and letting PG develop a little slower.
                      Last edited by Sookie; 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I think it would be a mistake for the Pacers to just sort of go with the flow this summer. Going with the flow means let the free agents contract expire, keep all those currently under contract and add a draft pick, 3 free agents and come back next year and see what happens. I think the core needs to change. If I were in charge I would be looking to keep Tyler, George, and Granger and look to wheel and deal everyone else.

This is the most important summer for the Pacers in many many years (wasn't there a year back in the 90's where the Pacers re-signed Reggie, AD and DD. It is as important as that. if the right moves are made this summer the franchise could very well be set for the next 5 or 6 years.

I am expecting major changes, because we finally have cap space and some tradeable player that I think we should be willing to trade.
                        Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-27-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Was Brandon's D that great this series? I'm gonna be honest, I thought it sucked. He was easily the worst defensive wing other than Dunleavy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader Joe View Post
                            Was Brandon's D that great this series? I'm gonna be honest, I thought it sucked. He was easily the worst defensive wing other than Dunleavy IMO.
                            Vogel must have agreed with you because anytime that Rose came on the floor during games 3 & 4 Brandon came out.

I'll say this, his defense was not stellar to be certain. Unlike Paul's which was almost otherwordly considering his is a rookie.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Rush was getting worked the entire series chasing people around screens. I don't know Brandon is not long for the NBA world at this point I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Cold View Post
                                Why do we have to spend all our cap relief this offseason? Do we want to repeat what Detroit did with Gordon and CharlieV?
                                This is undoubtedly my biggest fear. I sincerely hope and expect that our management is prudent enough not to fall into this trap.

Also, I agree 100% with the sentiment that some of you have expressed about resigning Foster. He still has some gas left in the tank and proved (as usual) to be an invaluable team presence and role player off the bench this postseason. That man should retire as a Pacer.

Comment

Working...
                                X