Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd Thoughts: Lassoing the Mavericks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Thoughts: Lassoing the Mavericks

There are so many things to talk about tonight. Obviously we had a breakout game by a player, a few other very good games from other players and some downright outstanding coaching from both benches.

But two things stand out the most for me tonight.

First, people we beat the NBA Champions on their court. I don’t care if they are missing Chandler (he wouldn’t have changed a thing tonight) and I don’t care who else is not there. They are, until we crown a new one, the reigning champions and we just wiped the floor with them.

Two, & really this is several items all wrapped into one, we won another game which is now our 4th win in a row. This was our 10th win in 15 road games and this was the first win in Dallas since 2004 when Rick Carlisle set on our bench.

It can no longer be denied, we are a team to be reckoned with. I have no idea how the season will end and I have no idea what the next game will bring but I can tell you this through the first 21 games of the season we truly are one of the best teams in the league and what should scare other teams is this fact, we are only getting better and more confident.

We win as a team and we lose as a team and tonight’s victory is no different. Paul George is going to get all of the accolades and by all means he certainly deserves them. However he did not play the game by himself, there were other very important players who helped in this victory.

Also if you are a fan of coaching then this matchup was for you. Both benches were playing chess and the coach with the better younger talent won. Isn’t that nice to say for a change btw?

Carlisle was brilliant once again, with his rotating zone and offensive play sets. However not to be outdone by him was Frank Vogel and his mixing and matching of players. Notice how Dahntay Jones is now playing a lot at the two? Sure you could say that he was forced into this by Hill being gone but after a few years it is just nice to see a coach who recognizes a matchup issue on the floor and adjust appropriately.

BTW, I have nothing but respect for several of the Maverick players. For Gods sake Dirk was just out of his mind good and anytime Vince Carter see’s a Pacers logo he is going to attempt to score I don’t care if he is 60 and doing it, he will try. Fun fact, unless things have changed did you know that Vince Carter has scored more career points against the Pacers than any other player? Also for whatever reason, even when he was in Washington Brendon Haywood plays like Patrick Ewing against the Pacers. Tonight he wasn’t as effective as he normally is but again he blocked four shots.

On the scale of important games and big wins this certainly is one of them. I don’t think it really is more important than beating Chicago in Chicago or L.A. in L.A. but its right up there with them.

I just wish we had more time to rest before tomorrow’s game but that is just the way the schedule falls, so I’ll take my victory and run with it.

Let’s do grades for tonight’s Odd Thought’s.

Paul George: A+++ You wanted it, you got it. This was a breakout game no matter how you look at it. What I like the most about it though? It’s just one game of the previous three that Paul has been aggressive from the opening tip. What I like even more about his game? He is a two way player. For all of the great offense he gave you, and he was pretty much a one man zone buster out there, his defense was just as good. Special kudos to him for blocking that ball and keeping it in play and blocking it away from the basket so another Maverick could not just come along pick it up and score. I know everybody has already talked about his game so anything I have to say is going to be redundant. All I can tell you is that as I sat there watching him hit three after three after three all I could say to myself by the 4th one was damn.

I’m going to break tradition here and just go ahead and break out the dancing fruit & cheering characters now. This type of game deserves it.

David West: A I can not tell you how important he was to the team tonight and this game. In the first half he went toe to toe with Dirk and only scored 6 fewer points than he did. David was aggressive and just kept taking it to him over and over and over. He certainly didn’t stop Dirk but Dirk didn’t stop him either. Also and I can’t emphasize this enough. The defense he played on Dirk was outstanding for the most part. He was just out of his mind hitting shots all night. I mean for God’s sake one time I swear he was horizontal falling away from the basket and hit nothing but net. His experience playing often against the Mavericks paid off big tonight.

Danny Granger: B + Not his best shooting night but there were a couple of big things he did do that may go unnoticed. This may be as much credit to Frank as it was to him but both need to be recognized. In the 4th quarter they moved Danny over to guard Vince Carter quit a bit and he shut him down cold. I am fairly certain Vince didn’t score again. Second he kept working the offensive glass all night, of course some of them were from his own misses so there is that. Also he contributed 5 assists for the game. You could look at him though and see he looked pretty tired most of the game.

Roy Hibbert: B + Like Danny he did not have a good shooting night but once again big Roy came through on the glass. 14 rebounds to go along with 2 blocked shots is still a good night even if you shoot 3-13 from the floor. He was rushing his shots tonight and a lot of that had to do with the defensive trapping that Carlisle had the Mavericks playing. Also while Roy will only be credited with blocking two shots anybody who watched that game knows he caused 2 other misses due to what we will now refer to as FOR Syndrome (Fear Of Roy). This is now something we are starting to see more often from teams as he has now legitimately become a shot blocking and defensive force in the NBA.

Darren Collison: A - Not a spectacular game but he was steady, controlled and did not make many errors all night. His shot was dropping and contrary to what Quinn said on the broadcast that three he missed was IMO a perfectly acceptable shot. He was wide open, it was off of a pass so it’s not like he came down and pulled up for a shot and at the end of the day he has become a pretty good three point shooter. So I just think Quinn was wrong there. He also played solid defense all night long.

So in other words our starters as a starting unit played one heck of a game.

Dahntay Jones: B Again this guy has become our most consistent bench player much to the chagrin of many of you. His defense is always good if not spectacular and he no longer comes in and forces up bad shots. Tonight he got physical and I am certain that Kevin Love was on the phone complaining to the league office just as soon as he got to his locker room after his game. I love how he did not back down from Haywood.

On that note was I the only person who was sweating it when Danny came running up the floor? Danny God love him should have played in the 80’s & 90’s because he thrives off of a physical game and like Dahntay backs down from nobody. Also notice Frank sprinting out there to drag Danny away? Probably not the most mature thing to do on Danny’s part but I love his fighting spirit.

Lance Stephenson: C+ I am not sure why he didn’t play more to be honest with you. I don’t think he played bad at all but I understand that Frank may not have the comfort level with him at point guard. Since Dahntay played a lot at the 2 tonight this cut into Lance’s time. He had a great pass but he was so quick with it and put to much zip into it so the ball went through (I think it was Danny’s hands) out of bounds.

Ok here is where it is going to start getting harsh. The starters won this game with some help from Dahntay Jones but other than that the bench pretty much stunk.

Tyler Hansbrough: F I know that might be harsh but this funk has gone on for to long now. He is hesitant on offense, get’s lost on defense and generally is about useless on the floor. One point and two rebounds in almost 20 min. on the floor? I honestly thought Lamar Odom was going to have a breakout game himself tonight but thank God he stunk as well because at first I thought he was just going to torch Tyler. Look I have no idea what is going on here. I mean this is a guy who the first two weeks of the season was as important to our club as any player on the roster but for the better part of three weeks now he has been beyond useless with a good moment or two sprinkled in here or there. If he can’t get this turned around soon the team may seriously have to look at another option, it is that bad.

A.J. Price: D We saw the return of Bush league Price tonight. At least he didn’t turn the ball over and that is about the only thing saving him from an F. Look A.J. Jim is gone, you are no longer required to be a shooting guard. Yes he got 4 assists but I’m telling you guys right now that the one assist he got by passing it to George in the corner for a three from that blocked shot was a last second bail out by A.J. He was going up for a shot but at the last second decided he was not able to take the 1 on 3 shot he wanted and got the ball to Paul. What bothers me the most is when he doesn’t even look to run any form of offense other than trying to get up the first shot he can. Again I understand it is only his second game so again I’ll give him a break. But right now he is not making any real argument for him to retain any playing time once Hill returns.

Lou Amundson: C I really can’t give him any higher or any lower as he only played slightly more than 2 min. Again this was Vogel looking at his lineups and deciding that he needed the offense on the floor and Tyler wasn’t going to give it to him so he went mostly with West and Roy. On the other hand I honestly think Frank would have been just as well playing Lou and benching Tyler but that is just me.

Ok, there is no way I am going to end this post on such a downward note.

I want to ask everybody a question instead.

Where does the current starting five of the Pacers rank in terms of starting fives for the Pacers in the NBA?

The Pacers train keeps on rolling and the Mavericks were tonight’s victim standing on the tracks. Here is to hoping we can help expedite Dwight’s exit from Orlando with a butt stomping on NBA TV.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd Thoughts: Lassoing the Mavericks

Who spam refreshes PD just to read Odd-Thoughts? Don't be ashamed ;p.

Comment

Guilty. Ain't no shame in it.
      Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
      #31 & Only

Comment

Thanks Peck....it's 3am in Indy and Peck has just completed the tome that is the nightly "Odd thoughts"....I don't have to tell you that this is devotion and dedication for the love of the Team.

I haven't read it yet and I already know that it's going to be an epic read.
        Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Good post.

Comparing starting fives. I would say that this starting five is as well balanced offensively as any we have had in a long, long time. We start 5 players that could each score 30 points on any given night. This unit plays more unselfishly than any unit that we have ever had. They seem to understand each other's strengths and certainly appreciate the concept of playing to the "hot hand" better than other teams that we have had.

It's great to see George get a glimpse of what he can be. I think he had one layup, only because he was a bit winded to get the lift needed to provide the dunk as he went around Dirk on the break. He had another layup where he was grabbed on the break-away and followed it with a make at the line for a three-point play. I believe all his other made shots were either 3-pointers or dunks

All I have to say is if this is what is going to become his game, then Bird better be prepared with the quan. Because he is going to need plenty of it to keep Hibbert this summer and then George in a couple of years.

This team is quickly becoming one of my favorite Pacer teams of all-time, and as you know, I have see them all. I would have to say that I would personally have to take exception to anyone calling themselves a Pacer fan who is not able to love this team.

Even if they don't always accomplish it, they attempt to play the game the way I like to see it played. Hard defense, decent fundamentals and sharing the ball. What more could this old Hoosier want?

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
            Tyler Hansbrough: F I know that might be harsh but this funk has gone on for to long now. He is hesitant on offense, get’s lost on defense and generally is about useless on the floor. One point and two rebounds in almost 20 min. on the floor? I honestly thought Lamar Odom was going to have a breakout game himself tonight but thank God he stunk as well because at first I thought he was just going to torch Tyler. Look I have no idea what is going on here. I mean this is a guy who the first two weeks of the season was as important to our club as any player on the roster but for the better part of three weeks now he has been beyond useless with a good moment or two sprinkled in here or there. If he can’t get this turned around soon the team may seriously have to look at another option, it is that bad.
            Its not a funk, he's doing what he's told. For a guy who's been called out for having tunnel vision there is no way he's taking 1 shot in 20 min on his own accord.

Since the fix the offense practice here are his before and after numbers.
            11.67 PPG to 5.8
            9.67 FGA to 5.4
            5 FTA to 2.5

When a guys main positive is scoring in bunches and being super aggressive as soon as he gets the ball it doesn't take an expert to know you're going to take him out of the flow of the game by reversing everything he's known and limiting his looks by making him look pass first. As smart as Frank is I don't understand his thinking here, I could see it if he was the starter but having Tyler passing up open looks on the bench is poor coaching especially with no Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher99 View Post
              Its not a funk, he's doing what he's told. For a guy who's been called out for having tunnel vision there is no way he's taking 1 shot in 20 min on his own accord.

11.67 PPG to 5.8
              9.67 FGA to 5.4
              5 FTA to 2.5

When a guys main positive is scoring in bunches and being super aggressive as soon as he gets the ball it doesn't take an expert to know you're going to take him out of the flow of the game by reversing everything he's known and limiting his looks by making him look pass first. As smart as Frank is I don't understand his thinking here, I could see it if he was the starter but having Tyler passing up open looks on the bench is poor coaching especially with no Hill.
              I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion. I believe that he is being more unselfish with the ball by design. I'll give you that.

But I believe that although it hurts the second unit when we have mostly second unit players on the floor together, it serves a higher purpose. It also makes him a player that fits in better when on the floor with players mostly from the starting unit.

The starting unit is an equal opportunity bunch. We can't find ourselves at some point with an injured DWest and a selfish Tyler inserted into the starting unit. It just wouldn't work.

So, I do believe part of Tyler's funk is being able to recognize his immediate opportunities versus learning to share the ball. Tyler is passing the ball better. What he is no longer doing is simply receiving the ball and immediately becoming the bull in the china shop. And I believe this is by design. It will take him some additional time to get their, but I believe the end result will be a better rounded player.

Comment

Dahntay had been playing out of position the entire season at the backup three. He's a two who can also guard the CP3s, Roses and DWills of the world. Our defense on opposing ones and twos with PG, Hill and DJ is quite formidable, wink wink...Bulls in round two...wink wink...getting ahead of myself...

I don't know what we can do with this confidence and "respect" other than keep trying to play hard, right and to continue to win and get deeper into the postseason. Our players cannot afford to slouch, but I think we all should take a step back and realize that it's been a long time since this franchise has been in such a remarkably positive position. Let's just bask in it for a minute. Then beat the **** out of the Magic tomorrow!
                You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Comment

11.67 PPG to 5.8
                  9.67 FGA to 5.4
                  5 FTA to 2.5

What you say may be true, but it has nothing to do with his defense.

Tonight he got so lost on a pick and roll that he honestly just stood there trying to find his man who was long gone.

I also think something happened when he got hit in the head (or at least I'm always trying to give him that benefit of the doubt anyway.

But as others have said, he needed to learn to pass and it may affect his game on the offensive end. But it should not do a thing to his rebounding or defense.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

11.67 PPG to 5.8
                    9.67 FGA to 5.4
                    5 FTA to 2.5

Or he has no confidence in his shot. Did you see some of his misses the other night? They were absolutely terrible. He hasn't been shooting well, really at all this season. His jumper is off. His confidence has clearly been shaken. Do I think the coaches have encouraged him to pass more? Absolutely. Everyone on our team really needs to pass more. But I think Tyler not being able to hit the broadside of a barn right now has more to do with him passing up shots than anything the coaches have said.

He was also getting more minutes earlier in the season, as West wasn't fully conditioned. But West looks more and more comfortable out there, so there are less shots for Tyler to take.

Your acting like his 1 shot night is a regular thing. He has taken at least 5 shots in every game this year until tonight. The answer for Tyler isn't more shots, its hitting the ones he takes. He has to return to attacking the basket, drawing fouls. Thats really where he does his damage. He hasn't been aggressive much recently and that doesn't come down to the coaches, it comes down to Tyler.

Comment

Tonight he got so lost on a pick and roll that he honestly just stood there trying to find his man who was long gone.

I also think something happened when he got hit in the head (or at least I'm always trying to give him that benefit of the doubt anyway.

But as others have said, he needed to learn to pass and it may affect his game on the offensive end. But it should not do a thing to his rebounding or defense.
                      Exactly. He's also been yapping at refs more - he just doesn't seem to be playing with Tyler focused intensity. I am frankly tired of hearing that this is all about coaching. Yes, his taking less shots probably is related to coaching direction. And you know what? That's not necessarily a bad thing. He did have tunnel vision on offense, and it did hurt the team at times. He doesn't shoot a good enough percentage to be shooting every time he gets the ball.

I also think teams have adjusted to him. Tyler still doesn't stay planted long enough to set an effective screen and teams know that now and play the pick and roll/pop tight accordingly. He needs to add to his offensive repertoire because all he has is a mid range jumper. That ugly hook in the lane is just a prayer that is sometimes answered. I hope over time Tyler can learn from DWest, because that man mixes up his offensive looks, clearly understands spacing, and can set good screens. I think he's an ideal mentor for Tyler.

Going back to the original point, even if I accept that bad coaching is 100% responsible for Tyler's offensive woes there is the fact that his defense and rebounding have also declined. I don't know if he's having head problems or just in a funk or what...but he's off all-around and I don't think it's due to the coaching. Even the few shots he takes without hesitation have mostly been bad misses. I think his confidence is shaken by that as much as anything else.

I'm a big Hans fan. The kid has talent and as long as his body cooperates he has too much competitive drive for this to be the end. He'll adjust, eventually. And a Tyler Hansbrough who can score and be aware of when to make the pass will be a better Tyler Hansbrough in the long run.

Edit: Super fun game to watch, by the way. I'm so glad I stayed up late to queue up the archive. I've been trying to hold my excitement in check but I think that's over now - our Pacers are for real!
                      Last edited by gummy; 02-04-2012, 04:38 AM.
                      "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Comment

He's 100% fine he's just being asked to be somethings he's not.

When you aren't getting included in the game on the end you live to play its hard to get involved on the defensive end. Cut down Danny or West's touches by nearly half for 10 games and I guarantee you will see the same from them.

The bench has sucked since the changing the offense practice and its clear as day how bad its screwed Tyler's game as his PER has gone for in the 16's to 12.84 despite shooting it at the same clip. Eventually we are going to need the bench to come up big and Frank has it a mess right now with Tyler wanting to pass and Price jacking up more shots than Tyler and Hill has been getting since the offensive change.

If we're wanting a passing big we can get one cheap from the Lakers doghouse cheap but if we are looking for a 6th man to get us 12-16 a night with Hill down then we should take off the handcuffs and unleash the guy Frank said nobody wants to play against. Like I said if he was going to be asked to start and play 36 a night he should no doubt be passing more since the others are better players but on the bench with 20 min to work he needs to be balls out with no restrictions pounding on the other team.

Comment

He's 100% fine he's just being asked to be somethings he's not.

When you aren't getting included in the game on the end you live to play its hard to get involved on the defensive end. Cut down Danny or West's touches by nearly half for 10 games and I guarantee you will see the same from them.

The bench has sucked since the changing the offense practice and its clear as day how bad its screwed Tyler's game as his PER has gone for in the 16's to 12.84 despite shooting it at the same clip. Eventually we are going to need the bench to come up big and Frank has it a mess right now with Tyler wanting to pass and Price jacking up more shots than Tyler and Hill has been getting since the offensive change.

If we're wanting a passing big we can get one cheap from the Lakers doghouse cheap but if we are looking for a 6th man to get us 12-16 a night with Hill down then we should take off the handcuffs and unleash the guy Frank said nobody wants to play against. Like I said if he was going to be asked to start and play 36 a night he should no doubt be passing more since the others are better players but on the bench with 20 min to work he needs to be balls out with no restrictions pounding on the other team.
                          Really?

Since he isn't getting to play on the side he loves so much he is justified in not playing defense?

BTW I disagree with your premise on both counts here. I disagree that this is OK first and formost but more importantly I don't believe for a second that Tyler is doing this either.

I think Tyler is trying, it's just not working.

It could be the change in offensive scheme, I'm not denying that. But I still honestly believe something else is going on as well. You believe the change occured when they practiced prior to going out west and I think it started when he got hit in the head.

Call me paranoid but I fear his concussions.

Comment

Peck addressed most of what I wanted to say about this part already, but I just wanted to add:

As far as I can tell (having watched Tyler for much of his college career as well as his time in blue and gold), Tyler Hansbrough lives to WIN. Sure, he's a decorated scorer, but he has always done the little things that need doing to get a win. As frustrated as I am sure he is with his individual performance, I bet he is pretty happy with the direction the team is heading.

I don't think you've done much in the way of adequately addressing the counterpoints that have been raised, but you are still very much wedded to your one pronged theory. So OK, I'll leave you to it. I've said my piece and have no wish to repeat myself.

And also, WE WON! And I want to ride the happy into sleep.
                            "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Comment

Originally posted by ilive4sports View Post
                              Or he has no confidence in his shot. Did you see some of his misses the other night? They were absolutely terrible. He hasn't been shooting well, really at all this season. His jumper is off. His confidence has clearly been shaken. Do I think the coaches have encouraged him to pass more? Absolutely. Everyone on our team really needs to pass more. But I think Tyler not being able to hit the broadside of a barn right now has more to do with him passing up shots than anything the coaches have said.......
                              That's funny because Hansbrough has never met a shot he didn't like, he could miss 100 in a row and still want to shoot the next 100. He's not ever going to pass up shots by lack of confidence.

11.67 PPG to 5.8
                              9.67 FGA to 5.4
                              5 FTA to 2.5

When all your stats are cut in half and you're sporting your lowest per-36 FGA of your career over the last 10 games its all on the coaching wanting him to pass more. Taking away his aggression is going to make the problem worse not make it better that's why I called out the change after I picked up on it early on the trip out West.

He's a lost cause right now and its not going to get better, the next stage if the eff it stage where he starts gunning and that's even worse than this one, so we have 3 options. We can let him play his game, Bench him and play Lou or trade him for someone else. But one thing is for sure playing him as is isn't a good idea at all because he's borderline useless right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X