Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Average Ticket Prices for all 30 NBA Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Ticket Prices for all 30 NBA Teams

http://www.businessinsider.com/avera...2?0=sportspage

So not only do we have one of the top records in the NBA, we have one of the lowest ticket costs right now.

Thought this article was good info against the crowd that says "Tickets are too expensive" yet again. Of course, if we packed the building every night, ticket prices would probably go up as well.

I would be interested to see this graph contrasted against cost of living for all the cities that these tickets are in.

Re: Average Ticket Prices for all 30 NBA Teams

There was a time when Conseco first opened and probably through around 2005 that the pacers had some of the highest ticket prices. I remember seeing a list like this one and the pacers weren't in the top 5, but I seem to remember they were like 7th or 8th for a season or two. Combination of a new building and a really good team for a lot of years.

The balcony ticket prices have been cut drastically over the years. Lower level has stayed about the same, some have increased, some have been lowered. Club seats have lowered a little

Comment

(warning, after writing this I thought you should know you are about to walk into a world of anger)

I wonder if this list even counts that massive 2 for 1 or outright free ticket handouts going on. Season ticket holders (at least some) got the chance to get an extra pair of free tickets a few weeks ago which ended up getting me to the ATL game for free.

Go to TicketMaster and look at the prices for tickets in Dallas. Zoom in so you can look by individual seat and find seats within the first 5-6 rows. Now try and find any seats that cost that much in Indy. Dallas has rows and rows of $1000+ seats, Indy has 8 seats total (next to the benches), and a few years ago I sat in a pair for $250 each because the scalper market was so bad (JOB season).

And that's the other thing missing from this report I bet - SECONDARY MARKET. Do the same as above but with StubHub. Go find some $5-$10 seats in most of these other arenas. Have fun getting anything close to what you can get at the BiLF.

(here we go)
      I truly hate the non-fan fanbase of this city, it's embarrassing. They aren't sports savvy, they don't love the sports themselves, they only love the winning. They want to be associated with a winner, and that's all. Otherwise they'd just as soon stay home and watch Honey Boo-Boo.

Freaking F1 couldn't pull them in, the 500 is struggling to do it, even NASCAR is taking a hit. I think the Colts went from 25% wait to 15% below sold out when Peyton left which is about 25,000 fans jumping ship (joke was on them though). Butler never dreamed of sell-outs till then made a Final 4 run, then suddenly everyone is a big fan of the program.

To be honest, while I want the Pacers to make money I really loathe the idea of any of the stay-away jacka**es being allowed back in the BiLF ever. You don't like the product, then just go ahead and NEVER come down. Not for Lebron, not for Kobe and not for our boys when they roll through the playoffs.

It sickens me so much that I'd almost rather sell my tickets to a Piston fan willing to drive down and see his team than to some local yahoo that decides that round 2 of the playoffs is when he'd like to start going to games.

Secondary rant - I sit over by the bench in close seats. This is an area normally populated with die-hards that you see every game or team personnel. TWICE during the Bobcats game jerks just decided that during an active game, not a timeout, that they'd just STAND AND TALK in the aisle in front of a bunch of us. Just stood there yapping about non-basketball whatever and NOT WATCHING THE GAME EITHER.

When I visited San Antonio I learned that the ushers are not allowed to let you go to your seat during live game action. Like baseball the etiquette is to wait until a pause in the action and then politely hurry back into your seat. You know, because everyone understands that they are there to see the game, not hob-nob like its a cocktail party.

But here in Indy even in the higher priced seats (and possibly because of that location) you have a ton of "oh, is there a game, I'm here to talk to my buddy" people that are clearly NOT FANS. And like I said, after the first one in which 2 other people had to ask these guys to sit down (the askers were a 25+ year ticket holder and a team employee), ANOTHER set of people did it later in the 2nd half. In both cases they weren't even looking at the court.

This doesn't even touch on the people that show up really late. We had two that showed up AFTER HALFTIME, in seats that are rarely used by the normal ticket holder over by the tunnel. Even the team employee said "that's the latest I've ever seen someone show up to a game".

This is our fanbase. We've got A55, G2 and then maybe 5000 other true blue fans. The rest are heathens, jerks, hypocrites, and other variations of non-fan types.

And by the way, there are people out of work, on welfare, etc that follow the team as much as they can and would love to be in the arena. That might be another 5K across the state I'd guess. I get that and don't fault them, but teams don't need them to sell-out the arena. There's enough financially capable fans in every city as big as Indy to fill the place up (see Miami games in Indy for example).

Contrast that with the 300-400K that flat-out don't deserve to have a Pacers team in the state. 10-20K max interested people, 400K that think those people are suckers for caring.

I'm sorry for the vitriol, but I hate these people to my core. And having been to other cities I can 100% say that other towns have much better fanbases. The Spurs have won a lot, so they have a following. But that doesn't account for the RESPECT FOR THE GAME ITSELF they have. Even in it's best days you'd never see a "must wait till action stops" rule enforced at BiLF, and I was down there during the 2000 playoffs when interest was at it's peak. Even then there was just as much "look at me, I'm at the game with the round ball thingy, Reggie Miller is a good player and they've got some other guys".

The road games we have gone to had fans around us that loved their team and loved talking basketball with us. Every single city.

Whew, I'm calmer now.
      Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Seth, what do you do for a living? If you don't mind me asking.
        Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
          (warning, after writing this I thought you should know you are about to walk into a world of anger)

I wonder if this list even counts that massive 2 for 1 or outright free ticket handouts going on. Season ticket holders (at least some) got the chance to get an extra pair of free tickets a few weeks ago which ended up getting me to the ATL game for free.

Go to TicketMaster and look at the prices for tickets in Dallas. Zoom in so you can look by individual seat and find seats within the first 5-6 rows. Now try and find any seats that cost that much in Indy. Dallas has rows and rows of $1000+ seats, Indy has 8 seats total (next to the benches), and a few years ago I sat in a pair for $250 each because the scalper market was so bad (JOB season).

And that's the other thing missing from this report I bet - SECONDARY MARKET. Do the same as above but with StubHub. Go find some $5-$10 seats in most of these other arenas. Have fun getting anything close to what you can get at the BiLF.

(here we go)
          I truly hate the non-fan fanbase of this city, it's embarrassing. They aren't sports savvy, they don't love the sports themselves, they only love the winning. They want to be associated with a winner, and that's all. Otherwise they'd just as soon stay home and watch Honey Boo-Boo.

Freaking F1 couldn't pull them in, the 500 is struggling to do it, even NASCAR is taking a hit. I think the Colts went from 25% wait to 15% below sold out when Peyton left which is about 25,000 fans jumping ship (joke was on them though). Butler never dreamed of sell-outs till then made a Final 4 run, then suddenly everyone is a big fan of the program.

To be honest, while I want the Pacers to make money I really loathe the idea of any of the stay-away jacka**es being allowed back in the BiLF ever. You don't like the product, then just go ahead and NEVER come down. Not for Lebron, not for Kobe and not for our boys when they roll through the playoffs.

It sickens me so much that I'd almost rather sell my tickets to a Piston fan willing to drive down and see his team than to some local yahoo that decides that round 2 of the playoffs is when he'd like to start going to games.

Secondary rant - I sit over by the bench in close seats. This is an area normally populated with die-hards that you see every game or team personnel. TWICE during the Bobcats game jerks just decided that during an active game, not a timeout, that they'd just STAND AND TALK in the aisle in front of a bunch of us. Just stood there yapping about non-basketball whatever and NOT WATCHING THE GAME EITHER.

When I visited San Antonio I learned that the ushers are not allowed to let you go to your seat during live game action. Like baseball the etiquette is to wait until a pause in the action and then politely hurry back into your seat. You know, because everyone understands that they are there to see the game, not hob-nob like its a cocktail party.

But here in Indy even in the higher priced seats (and possibly because of that location) you have a ton of "oh, is there a game, I'm here to talk to my buddy" people that are clearly NOT FANS. And like I said, after the first one in which 2 other people had to ask these guys to sit down (the askers were a 25+ year ticket holder and a team employee), ANOTHER set of people did it later in the 2nd half. In both cases they weren't even looking at the court.

This doesn't even touch on the people that show up really late. We had two that showed up AFTER HALFTIME, in seats that are rarely used by the normal ticket holder over by the tunnel. Even the team employee said "that's the latest I've ever seen someone show up to a game".

This is our fanbase. We've got A55, G2 and then maybe 5000 other true blue fans. The rest are heathens, jerks, hypocrites, and other variations of non-fan types.

And by the way, there are people out of work, on welfare, etc that follow the team as much as they can and would love to be in the arena. That might be another 5K across the state I'd guess. I get that and don't fault them, but teams don't need them to sell-out the arena. There's enough financially capable fans in every city as big as Indy to fill the place up (see Miami games in Indy for example).

Contrast that with the 300-400K that flat-out don't deserve to have a Pacers team in the state. 10-20K max interested people, 400K that think those people are suckers for caring.

I'm sorry for the vitriol, but I hate these people to my core. And having been to other cities I can 100% say that other towns have much better fanbases. The Spurs have won a lot, so they have a following. But that doesn't account for the RESPECT FOR THE GAME ITSELF they have. Even in it's best days you'd never see a "must wait till action stops" rule enforced at BiLF, and I was down there during the 2000 playoffs when interest was at it's peak. Even then there was just as much "look at me, I'm at the game with the round ball thingy, Reggie Miller is a good player and they've got some other guys".

The road games we have gone to had fans around us that loved their team and loved talking basketball with us. Every single city.

Whew, I'm calmer now.

You say we "want to be associated with a winner". Hmm, sounds like we're Boston fans. Or Detroit fans. Or Philly fans. All of these MAJOR markets have had trouble with attendance when the teams have been poor.

I'm just going to cut and pate from a post I made last week about the same topic, because there's no reason for me to type it all out again:

To trash the Colts fan base, you have to go back TEN YEARS to find something wrong with the support of the team. Manning left and we had an 87% renewal rate, i.e. 9 out of 10 season ticket holders continued to support the team despite the fact we lost one of the greatest players ever. In two seasons without Manning, we haven't blacked out a single game. Not one! The fact that you have to go back a decade to find a blackout tells you how great Colts support has been in recent years.

People don't support bad NBA basketball, which is what the Pacers were for many years in the 2000's. Look at Detroit's pathetic attendance. Yes, I realize that the city of Detroit has been hit hard economically, but there are still plenty of well off people in the suburbs around the area. Look at Philly's attendance woes in recent years. Heck, even Boston has been fickle.

In 2005, for example, the Pacers averaged more fans than the Celtics. This is despite the fact that Boston has a larger arena and is also bigger than Indy by millions and millions of people. The Pacers should never average more fans than Boston in a season, but they did. The Celtics are the team of championships, Bird, Russell, etc, yet no one gave a damn about them in the mid 2000's because there were better shows in town in the Pats and Sox. It was only with the addition of the Big 3 that Boston began caring about the Celtics again. It should also be noted that the Patriots had pathetic attendance in the early 90's before Robert Kraft bought the team and produced a better product. So don't let Boston fans fool you. They are no different than any other fan base, despite being one of the largest metros in the country. The bottom line is that people don't want to watch crappy NBA basketball.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2005

Some of the pathetic attendance at Pats games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Ne...atriots_season

Multiple crowds at Foxboro stadiums in the 20 and 30 thousands rage. This is despite the fact that the Stadium sat 60,000 people. I don't even think the Colts ever got that low. This is freaking Boston we're talking about here. The supposed most "sports crazed" city in the country. It's an area with millions of more people than Indy. It's also one of the wealthiest areas in the United States. Yet no one was going to Patriots games because they were routinely a horrible team and Bostonians didn't want to support a loser. So I guess they should be called "JERKS" like the people in Indy you're referring to? See, they are no different than the people here who didn't go all in on the Colts until the Colts started producing. The Colts moved here in 1984 and had no history here whatsoever. Many in the area remained loyal to the Packers, Bears, Bengals, Cowboys, etc. The Colts had to build their own brand and identity. You don't do that overnight.

That's why I always call BS when people act like Boston is some utopia of sports fandom. They didn't give a damn about the Celtics in between the Bird years and the Big 3. They didn't care about the Pats until Belichick, Brady, and Kraft turned the team into a winner.

You act like Indy is the only place in the United States that has seen trouble with attendance. You're seriously comparing us to Dallas, the fourth largest metropolitan area in the entire country? The Mavericks play in a gigantic area and have made the playoffs for 12 straight years, including two Finals runs and an NBA Championship. Of course they are going to be in more demand than the Pacers. As far as the Spurs are concerned, I'm guessing the four championships have something to do with the enthusiastic fan support. Butler? Seriously? Who becomes a diehard fan of a tiny division 1 school that they aren't an alumn of? There was no reason for any non-Butler alumn to ever be a Butler fan until they went on their run. Any other market would have reacted the same way as Indy. It was a nice story and hyped people up. Nothing wrong with that.

You completely absolve the Pacers of any blame for the attendance problems and put it all on the fans. This is a business, and if you run a crappy business then you will feel the negative effects. From 2004-2010, the Pacers were a horribly run franchise. The Brawl, Artest trade demand, and off the court incidents took a massive toll. We got rid of the bad seeds, but followed them with boring players who were coached by Jim O'Brien and lost a lot of games. You don't fix 6 years of bad will in just two years.

The people of Indiana are NOT to blame for the decline of the Indy 500. From 1911-1995, the Indianapolis 500 was at the absolute top of the racing pyramid in the entire world. The best racers from all over the world earned their starting spots by being one of the fastest 33. That all changed in 1996 with the shameful 25/8 rule which meant that qualifying in Indy no longer meant being one of the fastest 33. The act of guaranteeing 25 spots to racers in an outlaw league destroyed the chain of excellence that could be traced to Ray Harroun ,and dishonored all of the men who died at Indy trying to be the best. The fact that a scab with practically no experience could effectively buy their way into the Indy 500 was the ultimate sin that many could never forgive. The decline in support of the Indy 500 isn't an Indy problem, it's a national problem. The national TV ratings prove this. There was an immediate drop in TV ratings after 1995.

I've been to every 500 since 1998. That's 15 straight. Hopefully it's 50 straight someday. I love it. But I know that what I'm seeing is not what those who went from 1911-1995 witnessed. Once the chain of excellence was destroyed, the event was left to be a hallow shell of itself forever more. The people of Indiana are not to blame for the bad attendance at the Speedway. Television viewing across the entire country declined because people didn't appreciate the sacred Indianapolis 500 being used as a bargaining chip in a power grab, which forever left a bad mark on the sport. From 1911-1995, there weren't attendance problems at the Speedway. Once Indy stopped being about "The Best of the Best", it wasn't the Indy 500 anymore.

As for Nascar, well Nascar racing sucks at the Speedway. The track is too narrow for a good NASCAR race. It had initial hype because NASCAR racing at Indy for the first time was a big deal, but it lost it's luster once people realized the racing sucked.
          Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Given many of the Big time College Basketball Programs located in Indiana.....how does College Basketball interest compare to the crowds that are drawn to NBA, NFL, Nascar and F1 racing?
            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

[B]
              Secondary rant -
              But that doesn't account for the RESPECT FOR THE GAME ITSELF they have. Even in it's best days you'd never see a "must wait till action stops" rule enforced at BiLF, and I was down there during the 2000 playoffs when interest was at it's peak. Even then there was just as much "look at me, I'm at the game with the round ball thingy, Reggie Miller is a good player and they've got some other guys".
              Interesting take Seth, however as pointed out no one from the BLF staff would enforce something like this.... plus if the Simons had no problem putting in corporate suites do we really have to think it's all about actual Pacer fans?
              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

The fact that you have to go back a decade to find a blackout tells you how great Colts support has been in recent years.
                That's not on your side of the debate. NO team ever blacked out a game in any city while in the MIDDLE of one of the greatest runs ever. This wasn't Colts 1998. This was 2003.

1999 - 13-3
                Manning, Harrison, Edge (OROY), Vandy,
                They had a BYE and even then saw 5000 fans take seats in the RCA dome in a massive fan embarrassment.

2000 - 10-6, including huge win over division winner Miami in Miami as they won their final 3 games
                Same stars, big 3 all make the Pro-Bowl
                Lost in OT in Miami in playoffs

2001 - 6-10
                add Reggie Wayne to mix, Dilger made the Pro-Bowl
                5 game losing streak mid-season cost Mora his job and resulted in the "Playoffs?" quote for good reason

2002 - 10-6
                Dungy is the new coach
                Add Freeney to complete "classic" Colts of Manning, Edge, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney (also Glenn and Saturday on OL)
                Got killed in playoffs by Jets

So the Colts go into 2003 with 3 playoff letdowns, though 2 were squeekers, and with the full list of future Ring of Honor guys on the team (minus Mathis)

2003 - 12-4
                The team has tons of stars most of whom had been there for years, some were Pro-Bowlers already, and the games they couldn't sell out were division rivals as I recall. I was luckily out of town for one of them, either the TEN or JAX game, so I got to see it. Division rival and a team that is clearly a serious playoff contender with a shot to win the division and a playoff game or two (which they did do).

That's the BLACKOUT, not the season ticket sell-out. They STILL COULDN'T SELL OUT season tix, they just found ways to avoid blackouts. Peyton in his prime with Reggie and Harrison in their prime and they can't sell out. I could walk up and buy tickets.

After they San Diego win where Peyton broke the TD record I went downstairs to the box office and bought playoff tickets right then. That's because they hadn't sold out their season tickets. And the seats I got weren't upper 2 rows, these were middle of the upper section, toward the corner by choice. So season tickets weren't "barely missing", they were shy of sell-outs by 5-8K I'd guess. Yes they sold singles and walk-ups, but this was one of the greatest offensive teams of all-time with maybe multiple HOF players.

And if you put that product on the field from 1999-2002 in any other city, there are NO blackouts. And if you put that product on the field through 99-2006 you have a massive ticket waiting list, let alone selling out season tickets.

Nope, Peyton had to push the noses of the fanbase into the "hey, we might go freaking undefeated" before you could get 60000 to agree to come to 10 games a year ahead of time. "oh, a perfect season and you guarantee a SB win....well, okay I guess I'll spend $1000 on season tickets instead of buying a 2nd truck".

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                  Interesting take Seth, however as pointed out no one from the BLF staff would enforce something like this.... plus if the Simons had no problem putting in corporate suites do we really have to think it's all about actual Pacer fans?
                  The Spurs have corporate seats, and when I went to SAS I sat literally in the first row directly behind the Pacers bench. One of the nicest seats you could get. So that's a money section. Ditto when we were in Sacto and GSW, and when I went to Minny this year. Minny was the closest to "rude" that Indy is, and that was more about the poor stadium layout.

SAS just respects the game. It's their one show, and yes the team wins, but they have no problem telling Joe McRich to hold his drink and freaking wait. Frankly there isn't that much foot traffic during the game, period. Not to mention how well they all know their team. I wore a Hill jersey and that was universally lauded from everyone I ran into, yet they also love Leonard.

Dallas was in the ballpark too as I recall, and even less successful Houston showed a pretty dedicated crowd.

The Sacto people were thrilled to see us there. Ushers and fans both talked to us and loved having us there and their stadium/team.

Indy has a sense of "taking for granted" to its crowds. There are TONS of great fans, but you can't use them to prove the other people are okay. It's the fact that I can see these other people being positive, involved and great fans that proves it's not just me. There is a clear cultural difference in this fanbase.

BTW, IU was drawing fans even when they struggled, even when they hired a crooked coach. What other team could weather that storm and still draw crowds? None. Why? Win 3-4 titles and always be in contention for one for decades, that's all. You know, just the normal "one of the greatest runs ever".

Meanwhile Cleveland is begging for a 3 year run of greatness, let alone decades. Ditto Millwaukee, even Detroit hasn't sustained teams for decades. The Bad Boys had a shorter run than the Colts and only 1 one more title, but that team still had a ton of fans despite sharing the town with the Red Wings, Tigers and Lions.

I know the Packers are special, but that fanbase was with them long after Starr and long before Favre. It's a one team town, but so was Indy for a long time. The Starr Packers could be the ABA Pacers, similar time frame almost and then followed by some down years. Green Bay draws from a smaller area. But imagine the Packers with "curtains" to hide the upper section of the stadium in 1977, ala the Pacers in 1983.

The Pacers were barely a decade removed from OWNING EVERYONE. Imagine the crowds we have now if JO/Ron had just crushed for 2-3 titles like the ABA Pacers did, instead of the brawl. That's what this city did when there wasn't even a Colts team to go against. And even when there was a Colts team it stunk for 3-4 seasons, using the strike to make a playoff appearance.
                  Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

That's not on your side of the debate. NO team ever blacked out a game in any city while in the MIDDLE of one of the greatest runs ever. This wasn't Colts 1998. This was 2003.

1999 - 13-3
                    Manning, Harrison, Edge (OROY), Vandy,
                    They had a BYE and even then saw 5000 fans take seats in the RCA dome in a massive fan embarrassment.

2000 - 10-6, including huge win over division winner Miami in Miami as they won their final 3 games
                    Same stars, big 3 all make the Pro-Bowl
                    Lost in OT in Miami in playoffs

2001 - 6-10
                    add Reggie Wayne to mix, Dilger made the Pro-Bowl
                    5 game losing streak mid-season cost Mora his job and resulted in the "Playoffs?" quote for good reason

2002 - 10-6
                    Dungy is the new coach
                    Add Freeney to complete "classic" Colts of Manning, Edge, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney (also Glenn and Saturday on OL)
                    Got killed in playoffs by Jets

So the Colts go into 2003 with 3 playoff letdowns, though 2 were squeekers, and with the full list of future Ring of Honor guys on the team (minus Mathis)

2003 - 12-4
                    The team has tons of stars most of whom had been there for years, some were Pro-Bowlers already, and the games they couldn't sell out were division rivals as I recall. I was luckily out of town for one of them, either the TEN or JAX game, so I got to see it. Division rival and a team that is clearly a serious playoff contender with a shot to win the division and a playoff game or two (which they did do).

That's the BLACKOUT, not the season ticket sell-out. They STILL COULDN'T SELL OUT season tix, they just found ways to avoid blackouts. Peyton in his prime with Reggie and Harrison in their prime and they can't sell out. I could walk up and buy tickets.

After they San Diego win where Peyton broke the TD record I went downstairs to the box office and bought playoff tickets right then. That's because they hadn't sold out their season tickets. And the seats I got weren't upper 2 rows, these were middle of the upper section, toward the corner by choice. So season tickets weren't "barely missing", they were shy of sell-outs by 5-8K I'd guess. Yes they sold singles and walk-ups, but this was one of the greatest offensive teams of all-time with maybe multiple HOF players.

And if you put that product on the field from 1999-2002 in any other city, there are NO blackouts. And if you put that product on the field through 99-2006 you have a massive ticket waiting list, let alone selling out season tickets.

Nope, Peyton had to push the noses of the fanbase into the "hey, we might go freaking undefeated" before you could get 60000 to agree to come to 10 games a year ahead of time. "oh, a perfect season and you guarantee a SB win....well, okay I guess I'll spend $1000 on season tickets instead of buying a 2nd truck".

Yes, they blacked out one game ten years ago. And they were not in the middle of one of the greatest runs ever. You can't say they were in the middle of it when they still hadn't even won a playoff game yet. 2003 wasn't the middle of the run, it was the start of the run. You can't consider a team to be a legit SB contender when the team hasn't even won a playoff game yet. When we smoked Denver here in the 03/04 playoffs, that's when we became a Super Bowl contender. The run was from 2003-2010.

The facts are on my side as far as the Colts are concerned. You have to go back ten years ago to one blackout against a divisional team when Manning still hadn't won a playoff game to prove your point.

Did the Colts blackout a single game this year after releasing Manning? No

Did the Colts blackout a single game last year during the 2-14 season with Curtis Painter as the QB? No

Did the Colts blackout a single game the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before that? No, No, No, No.

Rome wasn't built in a day. The Colts came to Indy under an enormous cloud of controversy after leaving Baltimore. Many people were fans of the Packers, Bengals, Bears, Steelers, Cowboys, etc, and kept their alliances to those team. Not everyone decided to cheer for the home team, at least not initially. Taking fans from popular teams while being in a small market is no easy task. Why do you think the Packers have such a large fanbase? It's because they have years and years and years of excellence. It takes time to build. The Colts didn't exactly get off on the right foot from 1984-1998 as most of those seasons were filled with losing.

I showed how the Patriots had FAR WORSE attendance than any of these Colts years in the late 80's and early 90's, despite making the Super Bowl in 1985. This is while being located in a large wealthy market.

People are fickle everywhere. You make it seem like Indy people are some rare species.

Comment

Originally posted by CableKC View Post
                      Given many of the Big time College Basketball Programs located in Indiana.....how does College Basketball interest compare to the crowds that are drawn to NBA, NFL, Nascar and F1 racing?
                      IU great, always.
                      Purdue - more than half empty if the team isn't a Big 10 contender
                      Butler - few until they made a Final Game run, and then did it again, then casual fans came out of everywhere. This despite it being in Indy and being one of the classic stadiums in America.

Purdue football is as bad as basketball. The instant they weren't title contenders no one went. We drive up for one game every year no matter what and it's just sad.

IUPUI is tough to count due to the gym size, but as I recall they did pretty well when Hill was there and the team made the NCAA tourney.

I'd say the most consistent draw in Indiana is high school basketball.

Comment

Yes, they blacked out one game ten years ago.
                        TWO. Of eight. Blacked out. Division rivals. That's not "sold out", that's such poor sales that pre-housing market depression they couldn't get close enough to just buy it out and get on TV.

Name another NFL city that won 10+ games in 3 of 4 years that had a single blackout in the history of ever. You think Buffalo would have a blackout if they won 12, 10, 6, 10 games in the 4 prior seasons and had Jim Kelly at QB, Reed at WR and Thurman at RB (and PM is better than Kelly). Hell no. Not 10 years ago, not 20 years ago.

This "that only happened one time back when" doesn't make any season. Yes, after they won a SB and nearly won another and just missed a couple of PERFECT SEASONS and set a TD record and had 3-5 HOF players on the same team they started selling out and avoided blackouts.

That's not a positive. That's Chris Rock saying "waddaya want, a cookie for doing something you are supposed to be doing".

If Luck goes 8-8 the next 2 years you'll be able to walk up and buy lower level tickets on game day.

I've been going to Colts and Pacers games since 78-79 era. I bought tix as a poor student and when both teams were in bad shape. I've seen the interest and it's always been terrible unless you put a fans face right in front of "this might be the greatest thing that ever happens", and only then will they go.

You are trying to give them a pass like they were watching 10 years of 20-62 or 6-10 football. AFTER THE AFC CG vs Pitt, Jimbaugh and Faulk couldn't even get fans to sell out the stadium. The next year, even after they beat Dallas in Dallas. You could still walk up and get tickets and the reason was always the same "yeah, but that was a fluke".

Indy has had great success at times and the response is typically "meh, I'll believe it when you win 60 games for 8 years in a row and Jordan plays for the team".

Why do you think the Miami games sell out? Or Chicago or Lakers? It's not people winning the lottery and suddenly having the money. It's not a sudden winning streak by the Pacers.

The money exists in this city to sell out games. But that money is only interested in seeing Lebron or Kobe. The Chicago games are drive downs or transplants.

Comment

Why do you think the Miami games sell out? Or Chicago or Lakers? It's not people winning the lottery and suddenly having the money. It's not a sudden winning streak by the Pacers.

The money exists in this city to sell out games. But that money is only interested in seeing Lebron or Kobe. The Chicago games are drive downs or transplants.

Having millions and millions and millions and millions more people than Indy might have something to do with it. If Indy had Chicago-like population, then I would bet everything I own that we would be on a decades long streak of sellouts.

I'm running short on time and will try to address the rest of what you said later.

Also, the Heat did NOT have good attendance back in the early 2000's after Zo got sick and team fell off the map. Look at 2002 for example. They filled to just 81% capacity. That's pathetic for one of the largest (and richest) metro areas in the country. It was only when Wade exploded and they added Shaq that they began having great attendance. 2003-2004 was just 77% capacity! And that was a playoff year!

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2002

Comment

Originally posted by Sollozzo View Post
                            Having millions and millions and millions and millions more people than Indy might have something to do with it. If Indy had Chicago-like population, then I would bet everything I own that we would be on a decades long streak of sellouts.
                            He's talking about when those teams play here, not about their home sellouts.
                            BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                            Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Did the Colts blackout a single game last year during the 2-14 season with Curtis Painter as the QB? No
                              What the F*** are you talking about? This isn't on your side.

THE GAMES WERE ALREADY SOLD OUT BEFORE WE KNEW MANNING WOULDN'T PLAY. That's what season ticket sell-out means. It means that a SB caliber team with a new stadium sells 60K tickets back at the end of the previous season...you know, when Manning was going for another MVP run and was going to play here till he retired. So they were assured of no blackouts back in FEB or MAR, long before Manning was done.

And to get that list of season ticket buyers and wait list they had to make 2 SuperBowls and just miss a couple of perfect seasons.

Then all it took was A) the number one pick in the draft and a guy considered "once in a lifetime" as a QB prospect and B) a series of surprising wins.

They were NOT SOLD OUT in the summer. They were overbooked by 25% (125% of stadium capacity wanted seats) to about 85% when the Manning trade news came out.

Had they kept Curtis Painter due to a tough draft spot then they 100% would have blacked out games based on the prior season's results.

And I went to a couple of those Painter games and that place was not full. If they'd offered money back to ticket holders without losing their right to buy in the future then they 100% would have blacked out games last year (ie, give them the option to not pay for the 2-14 team).

Comment

Working...
                              X