Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

what the BLEEP is wrong with our OFFENSE?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what the BLEEP is wrong with our OFFENSE?!?

Originally posted by BenR1990 View Post
    We are fine.
    Wonder how many of the several that thanked the comment still carry the same tune. Posted this about a month back and felt the wrath of many. Now the defense the Pacers relied is gone MIA as well.

I don't think our issues on offense pertain to passing as much any longer. the offense is simply stale and we got no shooters except Cope who rides the pine.

I still believe this team will advance to the NBA Finals but I don't think we can beat the WC teams. Our record is a bit misleading in the EC. The Heat are defending champs, and have not had DWade most the season.

Coach Vogel is going to have to come up with a solution to our offensive inefficiencies otherwise a good record is all this team is going to have to show for this season.

Where is George Hill and Roy Hibbert. These guys need to become more consistent. Don't like saying it but I believe this is what Roy is offensively. if he opts out for 18M or whatnot he can walk. I like GHILL, big fan but excluding he is from Indiana, his production on the court has not been worthy of an 8M a year contract.

I hope this team has another Gear for the playoffs,, to beat the Heat and WC champion, were gonna need a more balanced attack to go the lockdown Defense.

big fan of Coach Vogel but I do not believe we are maximizing the offensive talent on this roster.

Comment

Originally posted by PacersPride View Post
      Wonder how many of the several that thanked the comment still carry the same tune.
      If you asked me after the loss to Golden State then I'd carry the same tune. Even after this loss everything seemed perfectly fine. The last 2 games, though, are different. I'm not sure what it is but it seems bad.

I certainly believe that we're going to be fine and put this behind us but I'm worried at the moment.
      Originally posted by IrishPacer
      Empty vessels make the most noise.

Comment

Getting blown out two games in a row indicates there is a problem. If this team does not respond today, there is clearly a problem that extends beyond basketball. I'm not saying we need to win this game. I'm saying we have to put up a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuntius View Post
          If you asked me after the loss to Golden State then I'd carry the same tune. Even after this loss everything seemed perfectly fine. The last 2 games, though, are different. I'm not sure what it is but it seems bad.

I certainly believe that we're going to be fine and put this behind us but I'm worried at the moment.
          Same here. I predict they'll snap out of it sooner or later, but this stretch sucks to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueNGold View Post
            Getting blown out two games in a row indicates there is a problem. If this team does not respond today, there is clearly a problem that extends beyond basketball. I'm not saying we need to win this game. I'm saying we have to put up a fight.
            The b2b vs Charlotte put stress and soreness on PG's back. He admitted so after the game. But we had chances to win both of these games. Cut Charlotte's lead to two in 2nd qtr. Cut Houston's lead to 1 in 3rd qtr. If Vogel had changed the bench rotations and added in more offense in Houston. And started the 2nd quarter in Charlotte with bench mixed with starters, we could've won those games. He needs to stop giving teams the same look off the bench. A bench of Copeland, Butler, Allen, Turner, and Solo would've given Houston some problems with shooting and versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by BenR1990 View Post
              We are fine.
              Originally posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
              We currently have one the best (if not the best) basketball teams in the
              world, are at the top of the NBA standings, and are widely recognised as
              being a top contender for the NBA championship and you're going to sit
              there and ***** about it?

Unreal.
              Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
              Nothing. This is our offense. We have some defiencies. Is that news?
              Originally posted by AesopRockOn View Post
              I think you need to clarify this UB. We are in the bottom 37th percentile for offensive efficiency (because of those deficiencies) but there is nothing wrong with the offense? PP, you really should have made this a poll, because it would be eye-opening to see how many think we actually have a good offense.

And yes, we are not a good passing team overall, nor are our individual players good passers (excluding a select few for select stretches).

Lastly, for those who aren't worried (and also have high expectations), here is a list of NBA champions and their corresponding rank in offensive efficiency: Miami (1st) in 2013; Miami (6th) in 2012; Dallas (8th) in 2011; Lakers (11th) in 2010; Lakers (3rd) in 2009; Boston (5th) in 2008; San Antonio (5th) in 2007; Miami (7th) in 2006; San Antonio (8th) in 2005; Detroit (19th) in 2004; and San Antonio (11th) in 2003. Maybe we're the Pistons setting another historical precedent, but I don't know how many would take that bet.
              Originally posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
              Question: How many points does it take to win a basketball game ?

Answer: One more than the opponent.

Enough said.
              Originally posted by xIndyFan View Post
              JMO, but I think the OP'ers point is more than anything else. The Pacers are a team trying to integrate two young guys, two new rotation guys and a couple of injured guys into a new offense. They are trying to find out what works best and what doesn't work that well. That takes some time. I expect as the season wears down, you will see less giving the ball to Lance or Paul and having them create and more PNR with West and Hill. Sometime having too many good players is in finding out what works best.
              Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
              Our offensive talent isn't the best. But I think we maximize what we have

posted this thread about 2 months back and got raked across the coals and utterly dismissed by about half the board. felt like it was obvious the pacers offense has been bad for about 2 seasons. lotta of us disregarded and felt danny was the solution. after 2 months of painfully obvious bad basketball now the PD braintrust realizes its a potential issue. the same ones who snickered and posted how dare I be critical of the pacers offense are now some of the same ones fussing up a storm. just find it highly cynical on behalf of some that those claiming our offense was "fine" little over a month ago are just now discovering the clues to how anemic our offensive system and personnel can be for extended periods of time.

I don't believe stats are the end all be all but A/T ratio seems like one of the very few that is indicative of how well a team performs. unless u got a KD or James Harden we need guys to set each other up and get us open looks.

Ive heard some say we simply need shooters. This team could have Reginald Wayne Miller at SG and it likely woulnt amount to hill of beans if he cannot get an open look. all our offensive production on the perimerter consists of trying to break players down to get a good look. newsflash Coach Vogel it aint working.

this season we rank 26th in A/T and last year we were LAST in the league at 30th. Re -signing Lance is not going to improve our offense as much as it is needed. How the hell is it that Chicago a team we very much mirror that has been without DROSE and Deng for most of this season still has a respectable A/T ratio without their mega superstar pg.

this team has way more talent than Chicago, and offensively are severely underperforming despite all the excuses of how much intensity this team brings defensively

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...tTurnoverRatio
              http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/te...atio/year/2013

seems like anymore its not just about passing,, more specifically it may be an unwillingness to share the basketball. ive beat this drum over and over, but even if we had shooters on this team we cant get them open looks. hell the only time Cope has had a good look in his limited minutes that were meaningful is predominantly on broken plays. hell seems like anymore that's how we score most efficiently is on a broken play with under 5 seconds on the shot clock.

we are essentially running with a 3 SG, PF, C approach. Hill has made it known he doesn't consider himself a point. lance and PG cant limit turnovers, and no one on this team can seem to find each other an open shot. Evan Turner has probably been the purest on our roster at actually setting guys up for a good look.

really, would it matter if Reggie himself found the fountain of youth and came back to this team in his prime? Reg could never break down a defender to get a good look, he relied on screens and pinpoint passing. the ball movement is terrible. the turnovers are awful. and setting players up for each other via assists is totally non existent.

I believe its time that Larry Legend consider finding this team a traditional floor general point guard if one becomes available. we gotta find someone who can limit turnovers and get other teammates open looks. and at the same time fit our defensive smashmouth identity. Rondo would be a godsend but its likely not realistic. it doesn't have to be a big name. a guy like Mark Jackson or Chuncey Billups would be ideal. but hell maybe even a player like shawn Livingston or a jameer miller. if lance leaves we may have no choice but to move G Hill to the sg and get this team a guy who can distribute the ball and get into the lane and setup our bigs better than we have done thus far.

2 months of terrible basketball, and 2 years of bad offensive basketball (danny injury excuse is no longer valid) and the ones busting my *** for posting this theard a month or so back are finally realizing the obvious, our offense is far from fine,,, unless of course were playing the scrubs of the JV Eastern Conference,, then i would have actually agreed.

Thankfully, I don't believe LEGEND is oblivious to the offensive inefficiencies and if this team doenst get it done I firmly believe heads are going to roll this offseason. If guys had their feelings hurt this season due to moves LEGEND made, they better get ready to find a shoulder to cry on this upcoming offseason if this team doesn't find a way to get it done and advance to the NBA Finals.

For as much hell as i caught over this thread i never once doubted this team will not reach the NBA Finals. we got posters giving up and everything else under the sun on this team. the offense is bad and to be brutally honest has almost become as painful to watch as the JOB Obrien days where James Posey was our stretch pf hoisting up 3's every chance we got. with that said no way in hell have i given up on this team.

we just gotta figure out a way to get each other good looks instead of forced jump shots. if this teams got issues inside the locker room, then its time any frustration, anger, or hostility be redirected in a healthy way. and tomorrow the team we are facing gives us a great opportunity to do just that. if this team cannot rally around each other vs the Heat then were up a creek without a paddle and like i stated before heads are gonna roll this offseason.

Comment

Until CJ returns, I'd like to see a new five man rotation.

Scola
                Copeland
                LaVoy
                Solo
                Evan

Keep Ian and Sloan off the floor. They're horrible!

Comment

This is what happens when you dont have a point guard or a Superstar who can run the offense...

Comment

or How bout the fact that the highest paid player on the team has become useless on that end of the court....

Comment

Originally posted by Millertime3131 View Post
                      This is what happens when you dont have a point guard or a Superstar who can run the offense...
                      I blame the Coach for letting the offense be run like this then.
                      Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by CableKC View Post
                        I blame the Coach for letting the offense be run like this then.
                        I agree with this as well you have to use the talent that you have and build an offense and make adjustments around that....

Comment

Originally posted by Grimp View Post
                          Until CJ returns, I'd like to see a new five man rotation.

Scola
                          Copeland
                          LaVoy
                          Solo
                          Evan

Keep Ian and Sloan off the floor. They're horrible!
                          seems like now that bynums out indefinitely mahinmis went back to playing his typical ho hum way. im with ya.. i think lavoy allen can bring the same D and a little more O. but who are we kidding, Vogels not about to make significant changes to the rotations. which may be for the best with only 10 games games left ???

im still in somewhat disbelief he got Cope some burn. gonna give him credit.. pulling lance from the second unit was a must imo. i know butler is overlooked but that guy has prob been our best 3 pt shooter all season, so its tuff not seeing him get the mins off the bench as well.

Comment

Forgot about Rasual. Problem is though, Cope and Rasual can't find a rythm because they don't get enough minutes.

Comment

I agree with this as well you have to use the talent that you have and build an offense and make adjustments around that....
                              But don't the Players have to adjust as well to fit the offensive scheme that the Coach has implemented?

I agree with with what you are saying when we are at Training Camp....it is the responsibility of the Coach to setup an offense that best fits the Players talent.

This isn't like a scenario where the offense didn't worked perfectly fine in the beginning of the season and the Coach has been sticking with it regardless of how badly it has worked.....the offense worked well enough to win games....but now, it works like garbage.

Despite Vogel stubbornly continuing to stick to certain principles in how the offense is run ( such as playing Scola regardless of how injured he was or how bad it was with his Mid-range jumpshot that wasn't falling or making Turner....a really bad 3pt shooter take 3pt shots while standing in the corner waiting for the ball instead of utilizing his mid-range/dribble penetration offensive skills )......but the offense has ( as Nuntius mentioned ) shifted more to an "inside out" to "outside in ( if Hibbert and West are lucky to get the ball ) oriented offense.

To me, Vogel shares the blame for letting the offense to be run like this.....but I think the Starters....most notably PG24 and Lance...share a larger part of the the blame for continuing to execute the offense like this in the first place.
                              Last edited by CableKC; 03-25-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

or How bout the fact that the highest paid player on the team has become useless on that end of the court....
                                I'm not going to give a pass to Hibbert as of late.....but let's be fair here........Hibbert's 8 to 9 FGA a game is not ( entirely ) to blame for the Team's offensive woes. This isn't like Hibbert is taking 16 FGA and is only hitting at a 40%.....that honor goes to PG24 himself.
                                Last edited by CableKC; 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X