Thread: What would it take to get more members on here with registration being closed?

Whoo...What a year.. Guardshock's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What would it take to get more members on here with registration being closed?

So I talked to Abel when I joined and he mentioned that Spam was a big issue. I bet there are a TON of people that would like to join. I was just persistent and able to join by going through twitter. Right now at 4:58 pm on a Tuesday there are 103 people visiting this site as a visitor. Any way we could make a special way for more people to join?
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

www.jjhughesracing.com

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What would it take to get more members on here with registration being closed?

Not sure but I got in through emailing Abel.

Maybe allow for a creation of an account and then only allowing them to post after a given amount of time?
    "I'd rather man up and beat your so called "great" *** than join up with you."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What would it take to get more members on here with registration being closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure but I got in through emailing Abel.

Maybe allow for a creation of an account and then only allowing them to post after a given amount of time?
    It isn't the posting - new posters already are "invisible" until approved twice.

The problem is that each account creation request takes resources to handle - even the automatic ones that send the confirmation email - and a barrage of such requests can cause issues.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    It isn't the posting - new posters already are "invisible" until approved twice.

The problem is that each account creation request takes resources to handle - even the automatic ones that send the confirmation email - and a barrage of such requests can cause issues.
    I was just asking with the intent to help the site grow. I'm sure there's more that goes on then I know. Seems like everyone on here has been here for quite some time. Just wondered about options to help get some new minds. If nothing gets done I wont be mad, just looking out for you guys.
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

www.jjhughesracing.com

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Guardshock View Post
    I was just asking with the intent to help the site grow. I'm sure there's more that goes on then I know. Seems like everyone on here has been here for quite some time. Just wondered about options to help get some new minds. If nothing gets done I wont be mad, just looking out for you guys.
    No problem, you make great points. I just wanted to explain where the spam is an issue. We've been trying to figure out what we can do - I know able is looking into updated vBulletin software &c.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know it's slightly a hassle. But what if you just added a sticky in the main forum saying if you'd like to register, here's how. And then dedicate an email address to it. Have people send an email with their username. So essentially, it's the same way that Oz and I got in, but actually just listed somewhere.

www.jjhughesracing.com

Yeah i think you can do a sticky, they can email me or any admin that has little to do

I HOPE to look over this problem with VB over the weekend but if not it goes into the fridge for another 3 or 4 weeks, sorry am very busy
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't blame you as I am a moderator on another site. I'm just looking to help you guys improve because I'm a diehard pacer fan and very much do enjoy this website.

www.jjhughesracing.com