Thread: Would you trade for Paul Pierce?

Default Would you trade for Paul Pierce?

NBA Insider) Pierce grumbling in Boston: There was a lot of rumbling in GM circles before the trade deadline on Thursday that Celtics star Paul Pierce wasn't untouchable anymore. With Danny Ainge completely overhauling the Celtics, Pierce has suffered the most, and his grumbling has gotten more vocal in the past few weeks.

Below is a site that shows he's grumbling.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/article...a_bomb_voyage/

With Pierce unhappy in Boston, and the way Ainge is running things I think he will trade Pierce this summer. Pierce is 6'6, and weighs 230. He was born on 10/13/77 which will make him 27 this coming season. He'll make $12,584,688 this coming year.

So what would it take for the Pacers to get him?

A lot I know. I don't think Ainge would be interested in Croshere or Pollard so that means we would have to trade a bunch of our young players. The following trade works all though I don't know that it would be enough.

Harrington, Foster, F. Jones, for Pierce.

That would make our lineup look thus assuming we lose J.Jones in the expansion draft and resign Brewer and not Anderson.

PF.....JO/Cro
    SF.....Artest/Bender
    C......Pollard/Brezac
    SG....Pierce/Reggie
    PG....Tins/Johnson/Brewer

We would need to get a couple bigs during the summer, but I really like the lineup. What's everyone think? Would Harrington, Foster, and Freddy be enough?

I would have to think about switching Artest for Harrington if that's what Ainge wanted, but I don't think he would want that. Artest is all about winning and he gets rowdy when losing. Boston would probably lose to much to please him. I think Ainge would realize that, although he doesn't appear to have to much on the ball as a GM so far.

Default Re: Would you trade for Paul Pierce?

I love Paul Pierce.

but like btown says... it will take more than that to get him

Tins/Pierce/Artest/O'neal/Foster

That is a very big three.

But it is only a dream

Booger

I couldn't hit the "Yes" button fast enough for that trade.

Don't think it's possible unless Artest or JO is one of the people changing addresses though...

<edit> Who's voting no?

I agree that it's simply not enough to get him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Clearly Paul is the better player by far but I don't know I'd want him due to my blind hatered of all that is green.

I doubt though that it is realistic based on how much it would cost trade wise and the fact that we are a conference rival.

On the other hand I'm not sure if the Celtics traded Paul it would cost any team very much to get him based on Danny's past dealings. Between the hirings of Danny and Pitino I have to wonder if there isn't some conspircy to decimate the Boston francise.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo

As much as I like Pierce I think the more likely target should be T-Mac. He is going to be opting out after next year if they dont make the playoffs next season (and they wont.)

That will be coming right as Reggie is retiring and T-Mac is a 2. Send them Harrington, Pollard and Freddie and they just might take it rather than loose him for nothing. If Jermaine can lobby him to force them into a sign and trade we would be a serious contender even without a bonafied center.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I couldn't hit the "Yes" button fast enough for that trade.

Don't think it's possible unless Artest or JO is one of the people changing addresses though...

<edit> Who's voting no?
    I did... he'd cost much more than the original premise and I'm not that thrilled with the idea of bringing a ballhog onto the team. We need a long-term replacement at SG (I see Fred Jones as a "third guard" not a starter) but I don't really want that player to demand more than 12-16 shots per game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I think Ainge would do that in a second, prolly want some draft picks with it too. 3 players with a whole lotta potential.

Our bench goes kapoot and Scot would be starting center. PP shoots a whole lot for not being a good shooter, but he has that knack of gettin to the line and hittin those clutch shots. I'd rather have Ray Allen

Right now I would vote no, but we'll see how the Pacers do in the playoffs this year.

Clearly Paul is the better player by far but I don't know I'd want him due to my blind hatered of all that is green.
    Uh-oh. Guess you're not a big fan of team management then.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

No way. No way at all I do this. He's just too much of a ball hog for me to want him. I'd rather have Tmac.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Banned

No way. No way at all I do this. He's just too much of a ball hog for me to want him. I'd rather have Tmac.
    Absolutely, I agree with this. Pierce is a selfish loser. Remember how he almost destroyed the USA team two summers ago? He's all about himself.

I wouldn't even trade Harrington straight up for him, and I'm not all that high on Harrington.

My hope would be that he'll end up with the Knicks. They can collect all the overrated misfit players that everyone else doesn't want. It will only make them a big mess.

I'd also rather have TMac, but the ballhog thing is maybe a bad rap. Notice he leads the C's with 5.1 assists (would tie Jamaal if on the Pacers) even though he frankly has nobody worth passing to. There aren't many players who lead their teams in scoring, rebounding, AND assists.

He's a good player and it would take Al and Artest to get him, IMO.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Uh-oh. Guess you're not a big fan of team management then.
    It was said tongue in check.

Of course, I would trade for Pierce although I have a negative impression of him because he is a Celtic.

I do think, however, people's dislike for him is effecting thier opinion of his game. I was just just being honest rather than saying he is a ball hog, turnover prone, or selfish.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The fact pp leads the team in rbs assissts and points shows just how awful the celts really are.

I think PP and Rons styles would clash on the pacers. But then again PP would compliment JO VERY VERY well!!

Mood

It would take a lot more than that to get Pierce. Of course, with Ainge in charge, who knows?
    Yeah, with Ainge it might actually be possible. If he'd do it, I'd think we'd have to.

Our C spot gets even weaker, but that should only force us to fix it instead of pretending we don't have a problem, and we'd have a trio of Pierce, Artest, O'Neal. How do you say no to that?

Tim

I am a fan of Al but if Danny was stupid enough to agree to that deal then do it.

No one is really considering another problem, if REggie is still here what do you do?

Bench Reggie? I don't think so, this team appears committed to starting Reg. Bench Artest, thats nuts he is the best defender in the league.

Bench Paul? you think he is gonna like that?

I'd also rather have TMac, but the ballhog thing is maybe a bad rap. Notice he leads the C's with 5.1 assists (would tie Jamaal if on the Pacers) even though he frankly has nobody worth passing to. There aren't many players who lead their teams in scoring, rebounding, AND assists.
    The fact that he leads them in everything shows that that team sucks. He leads in rebounding and assists only because there is no one else there good enough to pick up the slack. He is still a ballhog, and its a bad rap that is well justified.

Also the fact of Reg is true, and I am sure that even at his age, he does not want to be coming off the bench. YOu would play Paul instead of Reg at the end of the game? I think not.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I am a fan of Al but if Danny was stupid enough to agree to that deal then do it.

No one is really considering another problem, if REggie is still here what do you do?

Bench Reggie? I don't think so, this team appears committed to starting Reg. Bench Artest, thats nuts he is the best defender in the league.

Bench Paul? you think he is gonna like that?
    Reggie would be on the bench if PP came to town, no doubt.

it aint gonna happen tho so no use getting riled up about Reggies role with a hypothetical lineup

Definately would never happen. When other teams find out that Peirce is on the block, there will be much better talent being offered than Harrington.

If this was a real possibility, I could see Al & Ron for PP or Al & Ron for TMac. Actually, I could see those two going out in a package deal this summer for someone of significant talent anyway.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without question, you would have to complete the trade as it has been defined. But I would agree that Boston would not accept these terms.

The trade would leave us weak in the middle, probably forcing JO to play much more at center. The trade could also put us in an awkward position financially since we would have two maxed out players to go along with Austin's high salary.

I would NOT do the trade if Artest had to be substituted for Al. I wouldn't give up a top 5 SF who happens to be the best defender in the league for Pierce.

There is some risk involved. It remains to be seen whether Pierce could tone down his game and actually share the spotlight with 2-3 other other players. Could he tolerate being the spoke and not the hub?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

If this was a real possibility, I could see Al & Ron for PP or Al & Ron for TMac. Actually, I could see those two going out in a package deal this summer for someone of significant talent anyway.
    what? i wouldn't trade ron straight up for pp, even if it works. t-mac maybe, but even that's 50-50.

i agree that ainge has done some stupid deals, but this is his franchise player here. i think celtics would demand more than al/freddie/scot.

ya, Ron's not going anywhere for till his contracts up. He is probably the best bargain in basketball for how well he plays at his salary.