Thread: Carlisle's system is proving to work no matter who plays

Default Carlisle's system is proving to work no matter who plays

I am a firm believer in having system. IMO coaches that have a system are the most successful. No that does not mean you don't adjust the system for different players and different teams.

Why have a system. Why play defense pretty much the same every game. Don't you have to change your approach so teams don't figure you out?

Having a system helps the less talented players. J.O. would play well in any system, but Croshere doesn't, Foster doesn't, even Reggie doesn't.

I would like to go into much more detail and explanation, but I only have a few minutes.

Rick's "system" is proving to be successful no matter who is playing, whether Ronnie is paying or not, whether the bench is playing or the starters.

One other point. it is so important that in pressure situations that the players know exactly what they are to do, so they don't have to think, they can just react, and by havong a system of offense and defense and overall approach the Pacers players are less indecisive and in pressure situations they have something to fall back on.

Hope this is coherant, I'll fill in any gaps later

Default Re: Carlisle's system is proving to work no matter who plays

System do indeed tend to be more helpful than anything, and in more than one context. The problem last year was that people never knew when they would play and for how long. That makes the players become more selfish when they have the ball, and also they won't exactly know what is going on on the court.

The system the Rick provides does an excellent job of giving everyone roles, and they know their place in it. And like UB said, if there comes a pressure time, instead of panicking like we did last year, we know exactly what to do and how do it, since it is what has been happening the entire time, anyway. Preparation is key in anything, and in this case it helps tremendously.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

<WishfulThinking>
    I can't help but think that Bender would be much farther along if he was playing within a system the past 3 years.
    </WishfulThinking>
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am a firm believer in having system. IMO coaches that have a system are the most successful. No that does not mean you don't adjust the system for different players and different teams.

Why have a system. Why play defense pretty much the same every game. Don't you have to change your approach so teams don't figure you out?

Having a system helps the less talented players. J.O. would play well in any system, but Croshere doesn't, Foster doesn't, even Reggie doesn't.

I would like to go into much more detail and explanation, but I only have a few minutes.

Rick's "system" is proving to be successful no matter who is playing, whether Ronnie is paying or not, whether the bench is playing or the starters.

One other point. it is so important that in pressure situations that the players know exactly what they are to do, so they don't have to think, they can just react, and by havong a system of offense and defense and overall approach the Pacers players are less indecisive and in pressure situations they have something to fall back on.

Hope this is coherant, I'll fill in any gaps later
    I couldn't agree with you more UB. That is one of the reasons I joined the "sunshine brigade" last week. This team is deep, talented and the system works. Rick has shown that he can plug in players and not have a huge dropoff. I can't think of ANY team that is as deep as the Pacers. This team goes 11, 12 deep without a lot of dropoff.

The pressure situation you spoke of is dead on. I think that is why this team has pulled out several close games. The players know where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin