Thread: Thoughts on Bender, Brown's coaching and the Jazz

Default Thoughts on Bender, Brown's coaching and the Jazz

The Jazz have less talent that any team I have seen this season. If it were not for great coaching, and players who play like Sloan wants them to play, they would have fewer wins than any team in the league. But they are so physical, so aggressive and they play so well togther, they maximize their talent and are close to .500.

Bender had another impressive game today. The biggest difference I see is he does not look lost anymore and he is much more aggressive, evidenced by his free throw attempts. Defensively he is better, still has trouble staying with smaller guys but he is 7'0"

I enjoyed watching Mike Brown coach the team for about 28 minutes today. he is a different presense than Carlisle is. Strategy was not really different, but Brown is full of energy, constantly in motion, and always encouraging guys.

Pacers offense seems very different without Artest. More pick and rolls, fewer isolation, post ups, more ball movement, the point guards have the ball a lot more.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on Bender, Brown's coaching and the Jazz

You know the Jazz are a great example of players being able to make it in the NBA even without the kind of athletic ability that most players have. Those guys are all fundementaly sound players. They all listen to their coach and they all hustle like every play is game 7.

As highley as I think of Larry, Rick, and Pop you have to give Jerry credit for being one heck of a coach.

Bender is definitely going to help this team, this year. Even his critics have to be taking notice.

Cro looked as good as I've seen him. He went to the hoop like it was May of 2000.

Mike Brown is a nice contrast to Rick Carlisle. He won't be in Indy long.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How much more bulk can Thinder put on? Enough to think of him playing the 5 someday? JO---Thinder---Artest ....hmmm??
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to pick on you, UB...

But I don't buy the argument that the Jazz have less talent than teams like Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta.

Yes, Jerry Sloan is doing a remarkable coaching job, too.

But these players are fundamentally sound, hard-nose, true basketball players with names that are hard to spell/ pronounce. These guys are ueseful in a team concept, but they aren't flashy one-on-one type players.

I think the scouting department for the Jazz shoud get a lot of credit - even if they miss the playoffs this year. This is a no-name team that can become pretty good if they can fill in a couple of missing pieces this summer.

I'd rather have Arroyo or Lopez than Jamal Crawford, for example.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

But Jay, they are still no namers. They aren't people have heard of much, like Crawford. Yet they do an exceptional job with the fundamentals. Like said in some articles, they have nothing to lose by putting everything on the line. Other than Kirilenko, none of their spots are guarenteed. They play hard because of that.

I mean, Crawford is pretty talented too, but he doesn't have his head in the game to play consistantly. Sloan has done a superb job teaching fundamentals to these kids, and they play well and strong because of that.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I was at the game 10 rows behind the pacer bench, and Rick really flipped out haha. He had murder in his eyes! He was ready to kick *** I tell ya! It reminded me of IT last year when that guy took down AL and IT was screaming how he was gonna rip that guys eyeyballs out. good show!

But I noticed different subbing patterns with Brown, I didnt think they were as good as Ricks, but the P's won, so it's all good!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But Jay, they are still no namers. They aren't people have heard of much, like Crawford. Yet they do an exceptional job with the fundamentals. Like said in some articles, they have nothing to lose by putting everything on the line. Other than Kirilenko, none of their spots are guarenteed. They play hard because of that.

I mean, Crawford is pretty talented too, but he doesn't have his head in the game to play consistantly. Sloan has done a superb job teaching fundamentals to these kids, and they play well and strong because of that.
    I just don't agree. My contention is that everybody says this team Jazz isn't talented because most of the players are not American and aren't household names - even in the households of NBA junkies like me. I was guilty of the same thing before I saw them play. Even the American players (Collins, Ostertag, etc.) aren't well-known because they aren't the flashy type of players but they're very fundamentally sound and they were well-coached at the collegiate level (although Ostertag does a good job of hiding it sometimes. ). But these guys are talented. The Jazz are missing a couple of pieces to be a legit playoff team but its easy to see why these guys are ten games ahead of the Bulls/ Magic/ Hawks in spite of playing in the West.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well, I mean you can make the argument that ALL NBA players are talented. It's just a matter of how they use it and how they are coached. Everyone has the potential to become a decent player to make a decent team. But because of the coaching of Utah, their talents are maximized.

The Bulls, Hawks, and Magic are not bad because they aren't talented, but because they do not know how to play. They do not have a good coach to show them to play well.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.