Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Q & A with David Dupree 3-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q & A with David Dupree 3-2

Since he so highly thought of here & I don't recall this being posted before...

http://<b>http://cgi1.usatoday.com/m...script.htm</b>

NBA: David DuPree

Wednesday, March 2, noon ET

USA TODAY's NBA guru is here to answer your questions regarding the 2004-05 season. How will the Pacers cope with the loss of Ron Artest? What will become of the Lakers with Shaq and Phil Jackson gone? Can Kobe Bryant carry them into the playoffs? Does Shaq make the Heat a bona fide title contender? Who will fill the likely power vacuum in the West now that the Lakers have been overhauled? Can the Pistons defend their title? DuPree is here to take your questions.

Athens, Ohio: Hi David, I have two questions. 1. Although the trade between the 76ers and Kings seems to definitely help the 76ers, I think it might help the Kings even more. If Peja is healthy, the trade will leave the Kings with 4 big bodies on the bench (some four out of Songalia, Thomas, Williamson, Skinner, and Ostertag) who can all crash the boards! It seems as though that kind of depth can really wear opponents down, especially in the playoffs. What's your take? 2. I like fast-breaking when the possibilties are there, but I also like good strategy in the half-court when the fast break is not there. Would it help the quality of the game to increase the 24 second clock to something like 28 seconds? Thanks, Gregg

David DuPree: Hi Gregg
    I agree that the trade will make the Kings better. They want to build the team around Miller, Bibby and Peja with role players around them. They tried it with Webber for a long time and they could only get so far. They had to do something and this was a bold move. I commend Geoff Petrie for making it. They can do that now and they have depth, as well. I like the deal for both I don't think they need to increase the 24-second clock. It's fine just where it is.

Urbana, IL: Mon 2/28 USA Today NBA page has a picture of Antoine Walker wearing number 88? I thought he wore 8. Has anyone had a number like 88 since Dennis Rodman wore 90 something? What's the deal?

David DuPree: Radmanovic of Seattle wears 77. Any number now up to 99 is okay.

Salt Lake City, UT: MrDuPree, Do you ever think the NBA will change it's logo? If so the only viable option I can think of would be the Jumpman logo...and do you ever think one player will have his number retired in every arena in the league? I know MJ has a banner in Miami as well as Chicago......

David DuPree: There has been much discussion about either changing the logo or going to some sort of alternative. Personally, I don't think they should. I like that tie to the past.

Toronto, Ontario: Why do NBA teams buy out the contracts of players that refuse to report to their new teams instead of suspending them (e.g. Mourning, Payton, Dale Davis)? It would seem to me that if teams took this approach, they would be off the hook for paying the contracts of these players - correct? When are we going to see this sort of practice (i.e. teams giving into ungrateful player demands) stop in the NBA? Quite frankly I am getting tired of seeing players sulk and make demands of ownership until they are traded or released. If players don't want to play for the team they are under contract to/traded to, they should quite basketball or move to another league. Your thoughts?

David DuPree: They can suspend the players, but are ultimately still responsible for their contracts. That's where buy outs come in. The teams don't really want the players in the first place. They usually take them just to make the contracts work as part of the trade. It usually works out best for both sides, believe it or not.

Niagara Falls, NY: I guess it's clear whose team it was in LA last year with Miami leading the East and Kobe's Lakers struggling to make the playoffs. I doubt Kobe will ever win another championship until he becomes more of a team player. Do you think Kobe regrets pushing people out in LA? Do you see him changing his game after this year's wake up call?

David DuPree: Kobe will be fine. The Lakers will rebuild, but that takes time. I'm sure he has grown and matured. Remember, he is still only 24 years old. We all make mistakes when we are young. At least, I sure did.

dallas,tx: is keith van horn will help dallas in the playoffs? if so, how far would they go?thanks

David DuPree: I think he is a great pickup for them. I still don't think they can beat the Spurs in a 7-game series, but they can certainly compete with Seattle and Phoenix and Dallas and everybody else in the West. They have a realistic chance to get to the conference finals.

DFW,Texas: Hey Dave, I remember this years draft was heavy on foreign players....but I can not think of any of these players making big impacts are their many? can you share your thoughts

David DuPree: Beni Udrih of San Antonio who is with the Spurs and Andeson Varejao of the Cavaliers (who came in a trade with Orlando) are the only two who have had an impact so far. Most of the others are still in Europe, but the NBA teams have their draft rights now, so these were moves made more for the future than for right now.

Singapore: Hi Dave, Is the Webber trade really just a salary dump by the Kings? And for the 76ers, I can see where Billy King is going with this: take a chance on Webber's gimpy knee and hope he doesn't bail-out or choke like he did in Sacto, and maybe, just maybe... the 76ers can clear some cap room for their young ones. Am I a cynic or what? Jeff

David DuPree: Hi Jeff
    You are a cynic, but nothing is wrong with that. I think this is truly a trade that helps both teams because they were looking for different things and got them.

Twin Lakes, WI.: I am a huge Warriors fan and I was just wondering what you thought about Mullin being able to brinning in Baron Davis for just Dale Davis and Speedy Claxton? Personally, I loved it and I think the back court with Baron and J-Rich is going to be something special.

David DuPree: I agree. I love that back court and with Dunleavy at small forward this team now has a fine nucleus. All it needs is some big guys.

Lumberton, North Carolina: Hello, Mr. DuPree; The L.A. Lakers situation is really perplexing to me. Last week when the trade deadline was nearing, why was L. Odum on the trading block? Is this another player exodous due to Kobe's desire? I think it is or has his mark on it, I really wish someone would trade him. The true problem is Kobe can't deal with structure, he truly needed to have went to college, and with a stern & regimented coach. If this would have occured perhaps he wouldn't be such a spoiled child. What do you think am I off the mark about Kobe and Odum?

David DuPree: You are only off the mark a little bit. Kobe can be difficult to play with, but he wants to be a team player. Odom's name came up in trade talks because after Bryant he is the best player the Lakers have and so whatever teams the Lakers talked to his name came up. Ther're games are similar in that they both need to ball to be most effective and that takes adjusting, too. Of course, Kobe would have benefited from going to college, but they are not going to trade him. He is still one of the best players in the league and the Lakers will be back near the top again in a couple of seasons.

Darryl Madison, WI: Hi David. I hope this gets to you. I am a loyal Knicks fan that was very excited when Isiah was brought in. Now first I know that Scott Layden left a mess and I suspect that the owner does not want to blow up the team and start over. But I do know NY since I grew up there. If you present a plan and be patient we will have patients with you. What is the plan??? How do you get rid of Nazi and his 2 year deal and bring in Rose who is a good player but someone you cannot build around? And with the underachiving Time Thomas why bring in another underachiever in in Taylor? For some late 1st round picks. Remember it was Isiah who said you cannot build thru the draft. Please David help me understand.

David DuPree: I am having trouble understanding all the moves Isiah has made, too. It seems to me that he is floundering a bit. He sure has a lot of players who play the same way. I think you make a great comment when you say Knicks fans will be patient if they understand the plan. I wish I could ease your pain more, but I am at a loss as to understanding the plan just like you.

Orange, Texas: Hey, David. What is your take on the trade that returned Antoine Walker back to the Celtics? I found the trade to be interesting considering the comments made by Danny Ainge and Walker shortly after the trade with the Mavericks. So,who is eating the most crow out of those two?

David DuPree: Neither is eating crow. Walker didn't realize how good he had it in Boaston until he left and Ainge didn't realize how valuable Walker was when he had him the first time. I think it says a lot about both of them that Ainge wanted him back and that Walker was so eager to come back. In the long run, that trade will have as much effect on the Celtics as bringing Webber to the 76ers will have on Philadelphia.

Baltimore, Maryland: Mr. Dupree, the Miami Heat now have Alonzo Mourning on their roster. They now have 2 of the most intimidating Dunkadelic Beast to play in this generation. Will they make the NBA Finals with the team they now have in place.

David DuPree: They are a lot better, but I still don't think they can beat the Pistons in a seven-game series. Detroit just has too many options at both ends of the floor.

Colorado Springs: What do you think of Denver's chances to claim the 8th spot in the WEST with George Karl coaching Terry

David DuPree: I think it is still a long shot for them to get in.

San Antonio, TX: Is Manu Ginobli the most underated player in the league in your opinion? If not then who?

David DuPree: I love Ginobili, but I don't think he is underrated. He made the all-star team, after all, and deservedly so. I think his teammate, Tony Parker, and Mike Bibby of Sacramento are among the most underrated in the league.

Texas: Why on earch did the Spurs trade away Malik Rose? He was a relentless rebounder and a crowd favorite. His battles a few years ago with Najera (when he palyed for Dallas) were all anybody around here talked about.

David DuPree: I wonder why, too, but I also know that Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford don't make many personnel blunders. They got out from under his contract and got Mohammed, who is pretty darn good, in return. In the long run, it could be a good deal, but Rose is a money player and was great in the locker room and his teammates love him. That's where they will really miss him.

Waterville, Maine: I appreciate the work you are doing. Am I the only person in the state of Maine who thinks that the Rockets just may be the team to fear the most as playoffs approach. If they get Sura back (or is it Sura's back)they certainly will be very deep and talented. What are your thoughts on this please. Thanks, Jim in Maine

David DuPree: Hi Jim. Thanks for the kind words. I think the Rockets are on a par with Seattle, Phoenix and Dallas, but they are all a bit behind the Spurs. San Antonio is the team to beat. Sura is one of the most underrated players around and Mike James will really help. Getting James, Wesley and Barry are all great moves and I don't think any team has made better in season personnel moves this year than the Rockets. GM Carroll Dawson should be commended. He made it all happen.

Shiprock, New Mexico: Hey Dave, So, where do you think Gary Patton will go? I know he wants a team with solid playoff contentions. Phoenix Suns maybe?

David DuPree: That's a possibility, bit so is Denver, Minnesota, Indiana and Philadelphia. He can still play, and if he accepts being a third guard, could really help somebody.

New Providence, NJ: Hi Dave - I am a big Jason Kidd fan and I know he plays hard every night, but off the court I wish he would stop being so cagey as to his loyalty to the Nets and whether or not he wants to be traded. What elite players do you think have the best attitudes in terms of appreciating & honoring the lucrative contracts they have been given?

David DuPree: Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan come to mind right away and so does Allen Iverson. That reminds me. You never heard of a Michael Jordan salary dispute did you? He always honored his contracts, even when he was vastly underpaid.

Washington D.C.: With the Wizards finally getting healthy, Is the sky the limit for D.C.'s Finest?

David DuPree: They are a solid team, but I don't see how they can possibly get past the second round. They have difficulty holding leads, closing teams out and their defense has a lot of holes.

Clifton, Virginia: Hi David, I watch the George Michael weekly local sports show, "Full Court Press" and was wondering if everyone ges along as well it appears? The knowledge and chemistry of the panel is quite obvious and entetaining! Also, will the Wizards "swan dive" again and no make the playoffs given the improvement through recent trades involving other Eastern Conference teams? Thanks

David DuPree: We certainly do get along that well. It's fun. Glad you like the show. I think the Wizards will make the playoffs, but as I said earlier, I can't see them advancing very far. They certainly have a solid base to build now, though and I think they will only get better. This team is not a flash in the pan.

Largo, MD: Sup Dave? Pistons, Pistons, Pistons!!!!! Do you think they have their form back? Repeat anyone? Donnell

David DuPree: Hi Donnell
    They are indeed back. It was only a matter of time.

Berlin, Germany: Hi David, do you know of any statement (good or bad) from Fratello - while being at his TV job - about a player he is coaching now? If so, do you mean that he has changed his opinion today? What do you think about the trade of Dallas giving away the worker Henderson while Dampier is out too? Any chance Dallas will bring Henderson back, after he was waived? Thanks Henning

David DuPree: Hi Henning
    Fratello was pretty fair. He never really criticized players because he knew he wanted to get back into coaching. He was more of a teacher as an analyst as opposed to an opinionated commentator. I thought he was pretty darn good on tv. Dallas could bring Henderson back, but the trade was the right one for them to make.

Northome, MN: Hey David, Do you think the Hornets' moves of trading Baron Davis and giving themselves cap room (moving Mashburn/Rogers for Robinson) after the season will pay off? I like the Baron trade because there were stories that he was doing his own thing (including having his personal trainer stretch him out outside because he wasn't allowed in the facility) and I think the team is bigger than any player, especially one with a bad back. I doubt the topline free agents will come to New Orleans now but I'm wondering what types of players may be going to the Big Easy next year to improve a team in need of some help.

David DuPree: Players will go where the money is and where they will be appreciated and have a chance to win. New Orleans is starting from rock bottom, so it will take at least a couple of years before they are taken seriously by the big time free agents.

Baton Rouge, La: Are there lingering issues between Shaq and Zo? Any guess as to why? Also would that make Zo a possible locker room cancer?

David DuPree: Both players want to win and have proven that they will make sacrifices to do it. They were the first and second picks in the draft one year and had a college rivalry, as well. Both know what is at stake here and aren't going to do anything to mess it up.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Yo Dave, Will J-Kidd move to the T-wolves or stay with the Nets Groeten, Ben

David DuPree: Hi Ben
    I wish I knew. If the Nets can make one move next year, with Jefferson coming back and with Kidd and Carter, they could be contenders. That makes it maybe not very wise to part with Kidd. It's all up to him. If he really wants out, the Nets will accommodate him.

Chicago: Hello Dave. I was wondering why Scott Skiles gives Antonio Davis similar minutes to Tyson Chandler, and Chris Duhon similar minutes to Ben Gordon. I love what Skiles has done for the Bulls, but its frustrating when these two recieve inconsistant minutes. Especially when they are both contendors for the sixth man title in my book. Thanks dave, love your work.

David DuPree: They all provide different things and he wants Chandler and Gordon there for the fourth quarters. In the long term, though, they will have to get more minutes, and they will. Davis is a rugged defender and Duhon keeps the ball moving and plays tough defense. Skiles wants to get those two aspects established right away.

San Diego, CA: Hi, My pick for the finals are the Spurs and the Heat. If Tim Duncan wins a thrd championship, is he considered the top power forward ever? If Shaq wins a fourth, is he now in the top tier of centers along with Wilt and Russell? And am I underestimating Kareem by not including him with Wilt and Russell in the top tier?

David DuPree: You are indeed underestimating Kareem and don't forget Karl Malone in the top power forward ever discussion. And one more thing, the Pistons are back and I don't see the Heat being them in a seven-game series.

Perth, Australia: G'day David. Love your Chat. we don't get to see much NBA. How would you asses Dikembe Mutumbo's influence/impact on the Rockets, in Particular Yao?. Cheers Steven

David DuPree: Hi Steven
    Mutombo accepts his role and does it well. He is always ready to play, whether it be two minutes or 20 minutes. He is also a good influence on Yao, as is Ewing, because they are teaching him all of the little things and the subtleties of the position.

Chambersburg, PA: In light of the recent incident where a Temple player was instructed to "rough up" a player on the other team; I have a question regarding rough play in the NBA. Has there ever been an incident where a player struck another player and had assault charges placed against him? Is there an unwritten rule concerning filing charges against an opponent? Wouldn't a night in jail cut down "dirty play?"

David DuPree: NBA players leave what happens on the court on the court. Dirty play occasionally and unfortunately, is part of the game. But I find Coach Chaney's actions among the worst I have ever witnessed because he enlisted a young man to do something that was very, very wrong. I don't think any person's career should be judged by one event, but I would have fired him on the spot, or convinced him to retire, but I would never allow him back on the bench. It sends the wrong message all the way around. We talk about what we learned from the brawl in Auburn Hills. If a legendary coach such as Chaney can act like he did in light of that, then it is a sad day for sports. I know I cover sports for a living, but it is still just a game. It is not life or death. There is a way to deal with injustice, perceived or real, and sending a kid out to bodily injure someone is not the way and cannot be tolerated. Period.

DFW, Texas: Hey Dave, before the season Peja from the Kings said he wanted out, and now the Kings trade Webber away in a surprise move......I smell something between the lines....do you have any insight?

David DuPree: They had to chose between the two and they chose Peja.

Michael, Echo Park , CA: Hello again David. As usual you are the only cat I hook up with via chats, because you continue to be the most knowledgeable, discerning and humble. My question is: Hamblen looks way over his head out here in Lakerland, there is no consistent offense, no defensive rotation and no communication out on the wings. What can and should they do?

David DuPree: Hi Michael. Thank you so much. Hamblen is a good coach, but he doesn't have a good team and is trying to build one. They are still feeling their way. I also think they will make the playoffs. As for the future, I think they just have to bite the bullet for now and hope they can talk Jackson into coming back next season.

DC: David, Detroit seems to be finally waking. However, I don't think they can manhandle the Spurs like they did with the Lakers last year. My question is, can the beat the Spurs and Sonics? Darren

David DuPree: Hi Darren
    I think the Pistons can beat every team -- except the Spurs.

Pittsburgh, PA: When the Sixers and Bucks can combine for 229 points and a Jeff Van Gundy coached team is reaching triple figures, you know scoring is way up in the league. What do you think is the biggest cause of the resurgence of scoring: Rule changes and emphasis, coaches consciously opening things up (Thank you Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan among others), or some other underlying factors? More importantly, do you think this style of play has staying power and we can put the era of Knick-Heat slowball from recent years safely behind us?

David DuPree: I love your question and I have thought about the same things a lot. One of the biggest contributors to the increase in scoring is the emphasis by officials in making the calls that prohibit players from going to the basket. That opened the game up a lot. That has really helped players like Iverson, Nowitzki and Stoudemire. In the past, coaches thought that if they had inferior talent, the only way to win was to slow the ball way down and make it a defensive struggle. Now they think just the opposite -- get out and run and dare the other team to outscore you. It makes it more of a fun game to watch, that's for sure. I think the new style is here to stay for awhile. When Detroit regularly scores 100 points a game, you know things have changed - and look at San Antonio. The Spurs are looking to run, too.

Lubbock, TX: Who will make the bigger impact for their new teams, Zo to the Heat, or Campbell back to the Pistons? Also, the Pistons have a hectic travel schedule remaining on their west coast trip. Last night a nice win in Portland, but now all the way down to Phoenix, then all the way up to Seattle, then back down to Sacramento: 3500 miles in 5 nights. So how do you see them faring in the next 3 games against the leagues best?

David DuPree: I think the Pistons win 2 of the 3 and let people know why they are the defending champions and aren't about to give up their title easily. I think Zo will have a bigger impact than Campbell.

Beaverton, OR: David, please tell me the Sonics are not stupid enough to let Ray Allen go. They just get back to winning, and they act someone just hit them with the Stupid Stick. Thanks.

David DuPree: They may have no choice. If he gets the right offer from the right team he is gone, or will force the Sonics ionto a sign-and-trade. Personally, I think they will work it out. He is a leader, big in the community and well thought of around the league. Letting a player like that go over a contract dispute would be foolish, I think.

Fairfax, VA: Gilbert Arenas' recent all-star selection was great to see considering he was only a 2nd round pick. Who are/were the greatest 2nd round picks?

David DuPree: Rashard Lewis, Ginobili and Boozer are three pretty good young players in addition to Arenas who went in the second round. I'll have to research more, but remember the draft used to be seven rounds and at one time there were only eight teams in the league.

Fairfax, VA: DD, sorry to correct you, but Kobe Bryant isn't 24...he's 26. I know this cause he graduated high school the same year as me...although he is making millions and is world famous, while I'm sitting here typing anonymously talking about the guy.

David DuPree: First rule of partaking in my chats is that you can never be sorry for correcting me. My math is horrible and you are absolutely correct. The sad thing is I checked before I wrote that he was 24 and just miscalculated. Thanks again. And I appreciate your anonymous typing being directed my way.

West Berlin,Nova Scotia: I would value your thoughtful balanced opinion on a couple of issues.I think the next collective agreement has to include a clause so traded players can't end up with their original team ie:Payton and the Celts.The potential of impropriety or the perception of same could have a very negative effect on the NBA.A rule as simple as a player can't return to a team he was traded from if waived by the team he was traded to for the next year should solve it.Unfortunately an equally vexing problem of players not playing up to their abilities or not playing at all claiming injury a la Carter,Davis and Robinson will be a lot harder to solve because you are dealing with suspicions rather than concrete proof.

David DuPree: I like your first idea, but it happens so rarely I doubt if it will be a collective bargaining issue. But I also understand your point about the potential of impropriety and that is important, no matter how seldom it comes up. As for you second point, the only way to take care of that is to reduce the length of guaranteed contracts which could be a major collective bargaining issue.I say limit guarantees to three years with a fourth year mutual option.

Greencastle, IN: Is the Big Dog done?

David DuPree: Woof! Woof! One would think so, but there is still a place in that league for a guy who can shoot the basketball. I say he will emerge.
Working...
X