Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mahinmi leaves Team France

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mahinmi leaves Team France

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have to be the anti-Nuntius
    Note to Jose Slaughter - don't let Grimp and Nuntius attend the same PD Gathering. The resulting atomic reaction could wipe out the universe.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Lets be honest, that Hawks series was nearly the perfect storm... They made the series closer than it should have been by highlighting our short comings... Neither Washington nor Miami really was able to do that against us the way that the Hawks did... Again, it is a statistical outlier when compared to playoff series the past 3 years...

As far matching up vs the Cavs, I agree that DWest cannot guard Lebron, but Lebron cannot guard DWest at all either... And most certainly Keven Love cannot guard Hibbert... It is a matter of can we make them match up to us or not... And next year doesnt matter to me anyways how we match up... No PG, no title hopes, but I want to see if our roster (more importantly our coaching staff) is able to make adjustments to get better use of our abilities...
    This...For most of the year we were very successful in making teams worry about matching up with us. That only failed when Hibbert started struggling and I think it had less to do with teams figuring Hibbert out then it did in our game plan and Hibbert's internal struggles. We would have never had the success at the beginning of the season that we enjoyed if Hibbert was struggling then either.
    I'd much prefer to take the approach of playing to our strengths and force teams to match up with us.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I won't miss Ian. He sucks at everything, carry on.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk (which is always a phrase that is immediately followed by someone being a jerk), but serious question: Do you even watch basketball? This isn't so much about the Ian thing, but you thought CJ Watson was left handed about 3/4 of the way through the season in a game thread last year (amongst other guys you rattled off, only one of which was actually left handed). It really seems like you just bought NBA2Kwhatever and gained your knowledge of players, teams, and the salary cap from that game.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This wasn't the only reason why the Hawks almost took us out. A lot of things had to happen for the series to go the way it did and the Hawks weren't really as "lowly" as people wanted to think.
    we also won the damn series. people keep acting like a 1 seed's never been pushed in the 1st round.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    we also won the damn series. people keep acting like a 1 seed's never been pushed in the 1st round.
    Yep, I'm fully aware of all of that. I'm not acting like an 8th seed has never pushed a 1st seed to 7 games before.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Yep, I'm fully aware of all of that. I'm not acting like an 8th seed has never pushed a 1st seed to 7 games before.
    I think that was directed at other people, not yourself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think that was directed at other people, not yourself.
    Yeah, that would make the most sense.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

However, even if I didn't expect this team to win a title I would never, ever call them "mentally and emotionally weak". This seems like a huge insult on their personalities and I would never go there.
    I think the mental and emotional weakness of this team was displayed in full view for all to see during this past season.

Incredibly obvious with Hibbert. Hill getting into Twitter *****ing matches with fans. Paul's bad on and off court decisions.

I don't see how those weaknesses could be missed.

Now, let's not confuse mental weakness with sheer stupidity - That isn't what I'm meaning. More like mental immaturity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That series was just a microcosm of the second half of the season. The team was completely dominating and for no obvious basketball reason they became a .500 team and sub .500 the last month and a half of the season. It was as-if they didn't want to finish the season. IMO that simply does not happen when a team is mentally with it.

Except for one game against the Heat, they were beating NOBODY competitive during that period. That indicates they gave a great effort in that game and were mailing it in most other games. Also, there was infighting, baby mama drama and Hibbert spouting off to the media about selfish players. It was a collapse of epic proportions and the game against the Hawks was a direct extension of the regular season. It was NOT a situation where an 8 seed surprised a 1 seed. It was a situation where a team had been playing spectacular and backed into a 1 seed while playing a lot more like a 6 or 7 seed...FAR below its ability.

IMO, that happened for more than one reason and a lot of it was immaturity. I do blame Lance for a nice chunk of it. I do blame Bird for moving Granger who I believe was a stabilizing force in the locker room...even if he couldn't play on the court.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I think the mental and emotional weakness of this team was displayed in full view for all to see during this past season.

Incredibly obvious with Hibbert. Hill getting into Twitter *****ing matches with fans. Paul's bad on and off court decisions.

I don't see how those weaknesses could be missed.

Now, let's not confuse mental weakness with sheer stupidity - That isn't what I'm meaning. More like mental immaturity.
    I just cannot judge someone's mental and emotional make-up if I don't know them personally. I don't know any of our players personally so this is why I refuse to judge their mental and emotional well being. That's all.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    That series was just a microcosm of the second half of the season. The team was completely dominating and for no obvious basketball reason they became a .500 team and sub .500 the last month and a half of the season. It was as-if they didn't want to finish the season. IMO that simply does not happen when a team is mentally with it.
    100% agree...I don't want to call them mentally weak, but I will say that they was definitely mentally unfocused.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not trying to be a jerk (which is always a phrase that is immediately followed by someone being a jerk), but serious question: Do you even watch basketball? This isn't so much about the Ian thing, but you thought CJ Watson was left handed about 3/4 of the way through the season in a game thread last year (amongst other guys you rattled off, only one of which was actually left handed). It really seems like you just bought NBA2Kwhatever and gained your knowledge of players, teams, and the salary cap from that game.
    My personal favorite this season was the "Darvin Ham Era" of the Pacers.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

To be fair...I thought CJ Watson was left-handed too, and I have no clue where I got that information from. However, I am curious about this list .

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    To be fair...I thought CJ Watson was left-handed too, and I have no clue where I got that information from. However, I am curious about this list .
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ht=game+thread

Post #93
    Default Re: 2/10/2014 Game Thread #51: Pacers Vs. Nuggets
    Our angry Italian plumber friend made this point in the postgame thread last night that I think has been glossed over: CJ Watson has been pretty bad lately.

CJ is a player who works off picks, and also he's a lefty. I think Bynum will set better picks for him. Lefties also need space and a bit more time to get their shots off. Although some of the exceptions are...REX CHAPMAN, Peja Stojakovich, Nick Van Exel.
    Nick Van Exel is the only one of those guys who is left handed.
    Last edited by cdash; 09-02-2014 at 04:07 AM.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...ht=game+thread

Post #93

Nick Van Exel is the only one of those guys who is left handed.
    Well, I should have left that topic alone, lol. I thought Peja was left-handed too, but I thought Nick Van Exel was right-handed. Out of boredom, I googled left-handed NBA players, lol. I was surprised by the list.

http://www.apbr.org/lefties.html

Off-topic subject, I know .

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Ian says it's not as bad an injury as everyone thought.

“No surgery, no injections,” Mahinmi told VigilantSports.com Thursday. “So it’s not as bad as everybody thought it would be.

“Obviously there’s a healing process and then treatment, and then I have to get strength back in my shoulder. Then, I’m good to go.”

While Mahinmi did not provide a timetable, he hopes it will only keep him away from basketball activities for a few weeks.
    From a Scott Agness article.
    http://www.vigilantsports.com/2014/0...ybody-thought/

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I do blame Bird for moving Granger who I believe was a stabilizing force in the locker room...even if he couldn't play on the court.
    It's been said multiple times, Granger wasn't really that much of a off-court presence as many have assumed.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    It's been said multiple times, Granger wasn't really that much of a off-court presence as many have assumed.
    At this point, I'm going to call last season for what it was..."The Twilight Zone: The Pacers Episode".

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I think it's been said many more times that he was. I believe the off court impact of losing Granger was huge.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I think it's been said many more times that he was. I believe the off court impact of losing Granger was huge.
    I've got to agree with immortality here. Most people saying Granger was an off court leader are forum posters. The people saying he was not are people who were around the team and are the ones talking to those who would know.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I've got to agree with immortality here. Most people saying Granger was an off court leader are forum posters. The people saying he was not are people who were around the team and are the ones talking to those who would know.
    He may not have been a stabilizing force in terms of leadership, so I will defer to others on that point. But I still think it destabilized the locker room in other ways.

By trading Granger the way we did, it had to send a message to the other players. Loyalty does not mean anything. I recall David West and George Hill being interviewed shortly after the trade and they were not happy...and more important, they were not acting about their displeasure and had to hold their tongues. I think the team, including Granger, had been tight and the franchise just tossed aside a player who had been a warrior for the team. So, I think that hurt morale a bit.

Also, Granger may not have been a leader type but he wasn't going to be intimidated by anyone. We lost a guy who wouldn't back down to Lance...and that mattered when we saw Lance misbehave even more later in the season.

So, while not the only reason, I think moving Granger for a younger player (who Lance fought with) was part of the problem last year. Maybe not the biggest issue. But it was a factor.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

He may not have been a stabilizing force in terms of leadership, so I will defer to others on that point. But I still think it destabilized the locker room in other ways.

By trading Granger the way we did, it had to send a message to the other players. Loyalty does not mean anything. I recall David West and George Hill being interviewed shortly after the trade and they were not happy...and more important, they were not acting about their displeasure and had to hold their tongues. I think the team, including Granger, had been tight and the franchise just tossed aside a player who had been a warrior for the team. So, I think that hurt morale a bit.

Also, Granger may not have been a leader type but he wasn't going to be intimidated by anyone. We lost a guy who wouldn't back down to Lance...and that mattered when we saw Lance misbehave even more later in the season.

So, while not the only reason, I think moving Granger for a younger player (who Lance fought with) was part of the problem last year. Maybe not the biggest issue. But it was a factor.
    That's what I think was the biggest issue with losing Granger. If you've read about Granger's upbringing, he'll throw down with anyone. Having a guy like that as the elder statesman in the locker room meant something. He didn't have to be vocal for young players to know you don't mess with Danny. I think his presence was intimidating to a guy like Lance and losing likely gave Lance a green light to act up.
    Of course this has been discussed to death.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Now taking bets on who, when, and length of the next Pacer injury!
    We should re sign Tinsley so he can be injured.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    My personal favorite this season was the "Darvin Ham Era" of the Pacers.
    I remember the Darvin Ham Era.

Wonder who else remembers the Joe Hassett Era?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Now taking bets on who, when, and length of the next Pacer injury!
    Did anyone have Mathis, before week 2, and for the entire season?