Thread: Yao in Triple OT

Default Yao in Triple OT

clicky

YAO MING played until he was numb, scoring a career-high 41 points in his longest basketball outing to lead the Houston Rockets to a 123-121 triple-overtime triumph over Atlanta today.

The Chinese giant scored eight points in the final five-minute extra session and showed impressive versatility as the Rockets captured their sixth National Basketball Association victory in seven games.

"I think I was very tired to the point I felt numb," Yao said. "I just had to keep going. Feeling tired is a bad feeling. But losing is worse."

Yao made 15-of-21 shots and added 16 rebounds and a NBA-high seven assists in 50 minutes for the Rockets, who were coming off a 97-88 loss at Dallas on Saturday. Yao also provided the leadership for a team seeking guidance.

"He did everything," said Rockets guard Steve Francis. "He rebounded, he scored, he passed and he defended, too. It was very exciting to see him lead us the way he did."

The Rockets trailed 121-120 before Yao made a spinning jumper with 23 seconds remaining in the final extra stanz.

Atlanta's Jason Terry drove the lane but, due to the outstretched arm of Yao, was forced to pass while airborne to recent recruit Mamadou N'Diaye, who missed a layup.

"We played zone to control Yao and he still had 41 points," said Hawks coach Terry Stotts. "The last shot he made shows exactly how good he is. He's an imposing figure out there with a nice touch.

"He got points off of rebounds, he got us in foul trouble and he made his free throws. He did a little bit of everything out there."

The Rockets went to triple overtime for the first time since March 13, 2001, a 127-118 home victory over Indiana.

"Every team needs miracles like this during the course of a season," said Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy. "Hopefully we can come back stronger from it."

Cuttino Mobley scored 28 points in 59 minutes for the Rockets while Francis had only 16 on 5-of-20 shooting in 58 minutes before fouling out.

"I felt like I played that many minutes," said Mobley. "I'm tired as hell. I'm just glad we didn't give up."

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Yao in Triple OT

"I think I was very tired to the point I felt numb," Yao said. "I just had to keep going. Feeling tired is a bad feeling. But losing is worse."
    i think this is a great quote.

anyone else notice that yao seems to have the pithiest sound bites around? i especially liked his comment about american music

yea he has quite the dry wit. interesting character.
    during the rookie v sophomore game while they were all dunking on each other, yao is on the bench, quiet, hands folded together, just watching, while the other guys on the bench are all clapping them on.

the bit of the article that i bolded does anyone recall that game?

yea he has quite the dry wit. interesting character.
    during the rookie v sophomore game while they were all dunking on each other, yao is on the bench, quiet, hands folded together, just watching, while the other guys on the bench are all clapping them on.

the bit of the article that i bolded does anyone recall that game?
    I remeber that game all too well. Moochie got really hot in the third OT