Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three-Man Weave: Cavs and Have-Nots (Pacers Mentioned)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Three-Man Weave: Cavs and Have-Nots (Pacers Mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last season yes. But there's a pretty good chance Lance passes up West this year. If not, Lance may never reach his potential because he was already close to West level last year.
    The bottom line is that we don't know if Lance would have passed West this year. He has the potential but potential is only a word until it is realized. There have been a lot of players with good potential but for various reasons never reached it. It's kind of like at the INDY 500, the guy in second place may have a faster car but until he passes the leader, he won't win the race.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ask Chris Bosh who took him outside so many time Roy forgot where the paint was.

Teams know now that all they need is a stretch 5 to defeat the vaunted Pacers defense. It is the achilles heel to Roy's defense and it will be on full display this coming year.

Edit: Hear all those rumors of Hibbert being shopped? It was either nothing or it means the Pacers know they need to go in a different direction. You don't trade the cornerstone of your defense, which Hibbert was, unless there is a very good reason.
    I'm not going to deny that a Stretch 5 with a Team that has very good ball movement can beat a Vogel designed defense that depends on Hibbert defending the paint....but not all Teams great ball movement that keeps the defense on it's heels much less a stretch 5 that has a 3pt or mid range game that you can't sag off off.

But let's be fair here.......the vast majority of the Centers in the League don't want to venture out to the perimeter as well. Let's not make this into some weakness that Hibbert himself only exhibits.....the weakness that Hibbert has in defending outside of the paint is the same weakness that a lot of other Centers have as well.

Also, shouldn't there be some distinction between finding a way to beat Hibbert and finding a way to beat a defense designed to take advantage of Hibbert's defensive strengths?

To be clear....I'm not saying that once Hibbert ventures 5 feet outside of the paint that his defense isn't extremely limited if not sucks......but using a Stretch 5 offense is taking advantage of the System as much as it is taking advantage of the Player.

To further this line of discussion.....how do other Teams defend against a Stretch 5 offense?

Is it to simply go 1 on 1 for all Players ( even the Center ) where everyone has to stick with their Player regardless?

If so, then why doesn't other Teams simply adopt a Stretch 5 offense to beat every Team's defense?
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-23-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I think the Wizards would disagree that Roy has been figured out. It still takes a very specific game plan to turn Roy into an average defender and even then the issue really isn't his defense. JMO
    This "the league has figured Roy out" trope is the early leader for my favorite ongoing nonsense that consistently gets brought up around here. Last year's award goes to the immortal outside shooting of LaVoy Allen #grimplife

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This "the league has figured Roy out" trope is the early leader for my favorite ongoing nonsense that consistently gets brought up around here. Last year's award goes to the immortal outside shooting of LaVoy Allen #grimplife
    Nah, the "George Hill is a bad player" thing is still in the lead for me. I mean, he's our best (healthy) perimeter player right now.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    So we're just going to ignore the fact that Wade's regular season numbers came with a lot of rest in between games?

Which is kind of like it is in a playoff series. No back to backs. Wade rested a lot of back to backs in the regular season.

Really, this season just depends on Roy Hibbert. Where he goes, the team goes. No matter what some think, losing Stephenson and George is too big of a loss to overcome if we play like the team to end last year's season.

I think this will be a fun season to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Undefeated

I thought the comments about the Pacers were fair. We were slightly better than a .500 team for the last 30 games of the year, and we lost arguably our two best players.
    Danger Zone

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I thought the comments about the Pacers were fair. We were slightly better than a .500 team for the last 30 games of the year, and we lost arguably our two best players.
    Basically this.......I don't really expect us to make the playoffs but it will be a fun season to watch....