Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Myth Buster: Is Roy Hibbert A Bad Rebounder?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Myth Buster: Is Roy Hibbert A Bad Rebounder?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wade or James was almost always on the floor for Miami. I don't know the exact splits or care to look it up, but Spoelstra liked to have at least one of them on the court at any given time. Also, ya know, rotations--Roy can't play 40+ minutes per game, very few players can, certainly none as large as he.
    Either way... Wade was teardroppinjg over Roy like it was his god given birthright. I would bet my left n*tt on it. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Wade was pumping em up over Roy right at the top of the lane. Hibbert was too slow to react and get up on wade at the top of the lane cause he was fearful of wade blow by's. so wade just owned him with pullups right at the sweet spot below the FT line. Roy had no chance.

Some blame goes to Lance... but thats Roys job to protect the paint... not just stand under the rim and hope wade came to him... wade knew where to attack... if roy stepped up wade would blow by.

thats a fact and anyone with it on dvr can back that up all day long. like i said... theres ways to beat roys rim protection and the elite know exactly how to do it. it will always be exposed in a 7 game series.. and when it does... whats roy got to fall back on... except the bench.

huge waste of 20% cap and this window for championship contention. when its gone buh bye. **** it... roy aint gettin paid next go round and if he does... it wont be by Bird.

ive made bold statements before.. and proven to be right. i was one of the few.. in fact the only i ever read "cautiously" suggest trading Lance last year at the all star break. i say cautiously because i adhere to the philosophy dont **** up a good thing.

but i wanted return on Lance and in the grand scheme of things as i said then and will say now.. had this Franchise lifted one BANNER by now.. the best long term move was deal Lance and get a lottery pick back for him... or Affalo woulda been nice from orlando i think it was.

either way.. i got **** on by several for even suggesting it. just like i got **** for stating Bird will win GM and lead this team to 50 wins for 5 seasons.

now i get **** on for stating roy is overrated and overpaid. such is life i suppose on PD.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I would presume if Wade is on the floor or James.. our $15M dollar center should be as well... dont ya think??? Honestly.... unless foul trouble im gonna assume Roy was not riding the pine...
    LeBron, yes. Vogel was subbing in Roy whenever LeBron was in the game. Wade, no.

If you're going to talk about how Roy was getting abused by Wade, be sure that Roy was in the game. I don't think it's too much to ask.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Man, you keep saying everyone is ******** on you. You're the one who keeps swearing and being unbelievably abrasive. You're the one ******** on everyone else.

It's like walking into a room where someone is yelling about how everyone is screaming at them meanwhile you're the loudest person in the room.

How do I even begin to respond to a post when half of it is edited out or just nonsensical. Meanwhile it follows up a post where you seem to suggest that the Warriors would choose Andrew Bogut over Roy Hibbert.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-05-2015 at 01:58 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Also on this point, how often do you see LeBron or Wade resort to tear drops? The fact that they have to resort to a move mostly used by small guards to get shots in the lane, should be some evidence of how good Roy's rim protection is. Tear drops are used so shots aren't blocked. If Roy wasn't any good at protecting the rim, they wouldn't need to use a shot designed to go over shot blockers.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    LeBron, yes. Vogel was subbing in Roy whenever LeBron was in the game. Wade, no.

If you're going to talk about how Roy was getting abused by Wade, be sure that Roy was in the game. I don't think it's too much to ask.
    no its not.. so like i said.. i would bet my left n*tt on it.. im that damn sure. Roy averaged 34 minutes that series. Game 3 was a blowout so his numbers are skewed. he played about 37 minutes a game approx.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/roy-hibbert

wade averaged 35
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/dwyane-wade

bron averaged 35
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...4/lebron-james

no its not.. so like i said.. i would bet my left n*tt on it.. im that damn sure. Roy averaged 34 minutes that series. Game 3 was a blowout so his numbers are skewed. he played about 37 minutes a game approx.
    If you're so sure, why not prove it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

read this thread tell me who got **** on. sure as **** wasnt me till the end after all the BS lame as* jokes..

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...the-Year-Award

and i just did prove it... roy played 37, james / wade 35..

im done here. pointless as all get out when i present fact after fact after fact after fact and the roy worship on here is incredulously absurd in spite of the FRANCHISE.

Roy worship? On this board? hahahaha

and i just did prove it... roy played 37, james / wade 35..

im done here. pointless as all get out when i present fact after fact after fact after fact and the roy worship on here is incredulously absurd in spite of the FRANCHISE.
    And yet here you are balking at providing relevant facts.

Giving me how much time they each played, doesn't tell me if Wade's shots in the lane came when Roy was on the floor.

Sports Logo

Either way... Wade was teardroppinjg over Roy like it was his god given birthright. I would bet my left n*tt on it. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Wade was pumping em up over Roy right at the top of the lane. Hibbert was too slow to react and get up on wade at the top of the lane cause he was fearful of wade blow by's. so wade just owned him with pullups right at the sweet spot below the FT line. Roy had no chance.

Some blame goes to Lance... but thats Roys job to protect the paint... not just stand under the rim and hope wade came to him... wade knew where to attack... if roy stepped up wade would blow by.

thats a fact and anyone with it on dvr can back that up all day long. like i said... theres ways to beat roys rim protection and the elite know exactly how to do it. it will always be exposed in a 7 game series.. and when it does... whats roy got to fall back on... except the bench.
    I'm not sure that this has been brought up before......but isn't our defense designed to protect the paint, protect the perimeter but leave the middle open ( which statistically is supposed to be the lowest percentage shot to take )?

In Vogel's defense, the Center....whether it be Hibbert or Mahinmi....isn't supposed to leave the paint. His job is to control the paint and create a wall to prevent the scorer from getting to and scoring in the paint ( a higher percentage shot ). Vogel INTENTIONALLY leaves the "Middle" open ( which only allows for lower percentage shot )....that's why so many Teams take so many shots in that area.

You are right, Hibbert can ( if he chooses to ) try to contest a shot below the FT Line....you're also right that he is too slow to recover if the Player decides to drive by him.

But it's not Hibbert's job to defend a tear drop shot by Wade or anyone else at or near the FT line....his job is to do what he has been told to do by Vogel and stay where he is, protect the paint and try to prevent the opposing Team from taking a higher percentage shot that is closer to the basket.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-05-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/roy-hibbert

wade averaged 35
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...14/dwyane-wade

bron averaged 35
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...4/lebron-james
    Why this ******** with blowouts and tweaking Roy's mpg numbers and not Bron or Wade's? Just say Roy averaged 34 mpg and Bron/Wade averaged 35. Doesn't make much of a difference. Even in the game where Roy only played 22 minutes, it must not have been too big of a blowout (12 point Miami victory) because Bron and Wade both played 35+ minutes.

Sports Logo

To underscore the importance of Hibbert and Mahinmi in the defense.....not having a Rim Protector in the lineup ( like when Hibbert or Mahinmi goes down with some injury ) is why our defense is garbage when we have Frontcourt lineups of West/Scola/Whittington. Most notably with a West/Scola Frontcourt, we leave the middle open...but also don't have Players that deter opposing Teams from attacking the basket. Lavoy may be the closest thing we have to a Rim Protector when Hibbert or Mahinmi are down....not because he's a shotblocker...but because the guy is a literal wall that you don't want to run into. To be clear....I'm not saying that Hibbert himself is some great individual Defender.....I'm saying that as a Rim Protector ( which can AT WORST, Hibbert can be considered ABOVE AVERAGE as a "Rim Protector"....which is different than him being an Overall ABOVE AVERAGE Center ) you can clearly see the difference in how our defense responds with him on the floor and what impact he has on this Team's defense.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Undefeated

I think Roy is an elite level rim protector, but I came here cause the initial question was about rebounding. Something I thought was interesting this year is the Pacers have been a better team in terms of points allowed when Roy is not on the court (104.6 per 100 possession with Roy, 102.1 per 100 possessions without). What I thought was interesting is that opponents field goal percentage is lower when Roy is playing (.474 vs .487) but the offensive rebound rate is up (23% vs 20.8) So when Roy is on the court, opponents are shooting a lower percentage, but getting a higher percentage of offensive rebounds and scoring more points per possession. What I couldn't find is 3 pt shots while Roy is on the court because I'd be willing to bet opponents shoot more threes when Roy is in the middle, and that could also push up the both the offensive rebounds (long rebounds) and the points per 100 possessions.

I've now talked myself into believing that without the three point stats, all the above is meaningless.
    Danger Zone

You sure about those opponent FG%s? Those seem awfully high. Maybe that's TS%?

The Pacers opponent fg% is 43.7% on the year.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You sure about those opponent FG%s? Those seem awfully high. Maybe that's TS%?

The Pacers opponent fg% is 43.7% on the year.
    Good point! It's effective field goal percentage. This is how it defines it "This statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal." eFG% = (FGM + (0.5 x 3PTM)) / FGA. Not entirely sure why TS% isn't used.
    Danger Zone

Undefeated

Since the effective field goal percentage is lower when Roy is playing (which takes into account threes), then it would follow that the reason we give up more points with Roy on the court is either due to free throws or because we give up more offensive rebounds. Just a note, this is the first time since 2010-2011 that the Pacers give up more points with Roy on the court than off.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Roy worship? On this board? hahahaha
    Meh, it's a matter of perspective. I certainly can see why you would say that however from the other point of view you can't even make an off the cuff comment regarding Roy without a legion of people flying through the air to see who can land on the verbal grenade first.

He's just a polarizing player and will be until he is no longer here (for whatever reason that may be) and will probably be that way for years to come.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

But didn't PP state in the locked out thread that he believes Roy is worth 11 mill per year. So this whole diatribe is about Roy being paid 36% more than he should. This whole thing is about 4 million dollars?!?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    But didn't PP state in the locked out thread that he believes Roy is worth 11 mill per year. So this whole diatribe is about Roy being paid 36% more than he should. This whole thing is about 4 million dollars?!?
    Think of the amazing talent we could have with that 4 million dollars. We could have 48% of Lance Stephenson.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Meh, it's a matter of perspective. I certainly can see why you would say that however from the other point of view you can't even make an off the cuff comment regarding Roy without a legion of people flying through the air to see who can land on the verbal grenade first.

He's just a polarizing player and will be until he is no longer here (for whatever reason that may be) and will probably be that way for years to come.
    I agree with you. It's split about 50/50. No worship and no real hate. But only one side in this thread is acting like they are being oppressed by the Spanish government in the mid 1600s

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I agree with you. It's split about 50/50. No worship and no real hate. But only one side in this thread is acting like they are being oppressed by the Spanish government in the mid 1600s
    Again it is a matter of perspective. He's playing a little bit of a "role" if you will and therefor that is just part of the persona.

However to be perfectly honest there is the other side of the coin to this and while one side can be overly abrasive the other side can tend to have a pack dog mentality where they agree with each others posts and type post after post after post after post of stat after stat after stat after stat until the person that is the subject of their frontal assault either complies and acquiesces or as is the case here and in the other horrifying thread we have they become defiant and abrasive.

So it goes back to perspective and whoevers side one falls on will see the point of view they want to see.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13