Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46

Thread: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

  1. #26
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aren't you just assuming that people aren't donating?

    Most people (probably damn near close to all) are doing the bucket challenge AND donating. You're just making an assumption so you have something to be grouchy about. Has there been a single celeb that has been like "I'm doing the challenge so I don't have to donate"?

    Also your 15 million number is old and out dated.
    I know that there's people who aren't donating. Not just a few celebs. I've even seen lads do the challenge and tell their mates to do it in 24 hrs or else give money to charity.

    If attention whoring inadvertently brings awareness to a good cause then I am all for it but I would rather quietly donate and not brag about it then crusade for likes and shares and not actually donate anything to the cause.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that there's people who aren't donating. Not just a few celebs. I've even seen lads do the challenge and tell their mates to do it in 24 hrs or else give money to charity.

    If attention whoring inadvertently brings awareness to a good cause then I am all for it but I would rather quietly donate and not brag about it then crusade for likes and shares and not actually donate anything to the cause.
    Except the likes and shares do as much if not more for the cause than your morally superior approach of quietly donating and spreading the word to nobody anywhere, ensuring that nobody else joins in. But hey, at least you feel superior, right?

    If only the people that started this were more like you, and each of them just quietly donated $100 instead of starting this trend. What attention whores, right? I mean honestly, who ever heard of publicizing a fund raising campaign? Don't they understand that this sort of thing is best done quietly?
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-22-2014 at 06:48 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except the likes and shares do as much if not more for the cause than your morally superior approach of quietly donating and spreading the word to nobody anywhere, ensuing that nobody else joins in.
    So we've come full circle then on your original point of "people that tell others how to donate their money...". That's what doing the challenge without donating is.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  6. #29
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So we've come full circle then on your original point of "people that tell others how to donate their money...". That's what doing the challenge without donating is.
    and you have zero idea how many people are and are not donating. The average amount of money raised so far is $50-60 per person.

    If someone does the challenge and passes it on without donating a dime, that's still contributing. I'm sure a lot of people have other charities they support and can't afford to give to all of them.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #30
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and you have zero idea how many people are and are not donating. The average amount of money raised so far is $50-60 per person.
    Great stuff, and as I've said multiple times I'm all for the campaign, but you've conveniently ignored me saying that to suit your argument.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  8. #31
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great stuff, and as I've said multiple times I'm all for the campaign, but you've conveniently ignored me saying that to suit your argument.
    Right. You've stated you would prefer to do the less productive thing and privately donate.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. #32
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right. You've stated you would prefer to do the less productive thing and privately donate.
    What I personally give to charity is my business. I do it without masquerading narcissism with altruism.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  10. #33
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I personally give to charity is my business.
    and if everyone held that belief the ALS foundation would be $15,000,000 poorer right now.

    BTW, telling other people "I donate but I don't brag about it" is actually bragging, it's just doing so from atop a higher horse.

    If you really cared about being a private donor, we would not be having this discussion because you wouldn't be bragging about not bragging about it.

    I'd like to make an announcement. I fight crime in my spare time. Not that I want any respect or admiration for it, mind you! A real hero doesn't brag. But I'd like everyone to know that I'm secretly a superhero. What I do and where I do it are totally my own business.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  12. #34
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that there's people who aren't donating. Not just a few celebs. I've even seen lads do the challenge and tell their mates to do it in 24 hrs or else give money to charity.

    If attention whoring inadvertently brings awareness to a good cause then I am all for it but I would rather quietly donate and not brag about it then crusade for likes and shares and not actually donate anything to the cause.
    because thats the challenge....

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I personally give to charity is my business. I do it without masquerading narcissism with altruism.
    This is pretty ****ing rich.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and if everyone held that belief the ALS foundation would be $15,000,000 poorer right now.
    Kudos to them. They tapped into a narcissistic social media cause and good for them. Guess what. Next year it'll be some other campaign, and the struggle for a cure for ALS will go on and almost everyone who poured a bucket of water over their head won't give a damn. Sad but true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW, telling other people "I donate but I don't brag about it" is actually bragging, it's just doing so from atop a higher horse.
    I fail to see how this is bragging. Sorry.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  15. #36
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,334

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to make an announcement. I fight crime in my spare time. Not that I want any respect or admiration for it, mind you! A real hero doesn't brag. But I'd like everyone to know that I'm secretly a superhero. What I do and where I do it are totally my own business.
    KStat is Batman? Whoa.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  17. #37
    Big Daddy PaulGeorgeHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connersville Indiana
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,164
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    KStat is Batman? Whoa.
    I was thinking more Clark Kent, thus the K in Kstat. (Kstat = KentStatus) therefor when he is talking to us "regular" people he is Clark Kent, NOT superman


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #38
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kudos to them. They tapped into a narcissistic social media cause and good for them. Guess what. Next year it'll be some other campaign, and the struggle for a cure for ALS will go on and almost everyone who poured a bucket of water over their head won't give a damn. Sad but true.


    I fail to see how this is bragging. Sorry.
    And they will have $15+ million more than they would have without it....

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,334

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking more Clark Kent, thus the K in Kstat. (Kstat = KentStatus) therefor when he is talking to us "regular" people he is Clark Kent, NOT superman


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clark Kent doesn't know basketball....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  21. #40
    Big Daddy PaulGeorgeHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connersville Indiana
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,164
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Clark Kent doesn't know basketball....
    Even more proof it's him then


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    because thats the challenge....


    This is pretty ****ing rich.
    Maybe it changed by the time I saw it, but I thought the challenge was do the IBC and donate $10 or do not and donate $100.

    I mean, no matter was version you choose to pass on you are spreading a good message, IMO.

  23. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kudos to them. They tapped into a narcissistic social media cause and good for them. Guess what. Next year it'll be some other campaign, and the struggle for a cure for ALS will go on and almost everyone who poured a bucket of water over their head won't give a damn. Sad but true.


    I fail to see how this is bragging. Sorry.
    I bet EVERY person (and their families) will be eternally grateful for those narcissistic ******** who are helping further a cause to find a cure for this horrible disease

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  25. #43
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    No, the "sad but true" part is getting a death sentence and watching your life agonizingly stripped from you piece by piece over a number of years until you're a prisoner inside your own body just before the very end.

    When the ALS foundation comes out and says this is not helping and people need to stop doing this, I'll get behind it. Until then, shut up.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  27. #44
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge



    The challenge is about raising awareness and money. Check both boxes off. I got nominated for the challenge and was *****ing to my mom about it hoping I would avoid the whole thing when she reminded me that my grandmother died of ALS. I had always remembered it as Lou Gehrig's Disease; not ALS. So even someone who should have had an above average awareness of the disease (for the record: it is a brutal way to watch a family member, or anyone, pass), it accomplished it's mission.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  29. #45
    Member IrishPacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,449

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    This is my last post on the issue anyway.

    I've said multiple times on here that I'm all for the campaign. As much as it appeals to social narcissism, of course the end justifies the means the the end product is money raised for ALS. Kstat and others have made some fair points that I completely understand, and my sympathies to those who have seen devastating the effects of motor neuron disease first hand.

    What doesn't sit right with me is either:

    i) Those who do the challenge but don't donate. Yes, you are spreading awareness, but you are taking part in the challenge without actually offering anything yourself. It's like saying "well raising money for charity is good and all that but I want someone else to do it instead of me, and I'm still gonna take part in this fun activity".

    ii) Those who flat out do the challenge and don't even mention ALS or how to donate. This is especially true when you see a celeb doing the challenge as if it's just some fad amongst their well to do celeb friends.

    Just my opinion.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.


    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

  30. #46
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So...Larry Bird did the ice bucket challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I CAN AFFORD THAT CAR JUST FINE DUDE. BACK OFF.
    Well you obviously carry a towel around for use in sticky situations so in sure you would have things well under control, even in situations that might induce panic.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

    cgg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •