Thread: Headphones

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Headphones

I am looking into getting new headphones. I am not a big fan of the headphones that go over my head as I generally spike my hair up for the day.

I loved my Bose in ear headphones when they worked. I had two of them and both had one side fail and I could only hear out of the other side.

I have a pair of Apple in ear ones but, the gel cushion are now coming off the headphones so I worry that one day I will just lose one of the gel cushions.

Are there any wrap around noise cancelling headphones? What do you recommend for in ear headphones?

I am ok with spending $100 like I did on the Bose ones if they hold up for more than a year.

Default Re: Headphones

Try http://www.head-fi.org/

In particular: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...08-01-14-p-947

Personally, I have a set of Klipsch Image S4i which I bought on sale (for $60). I'd probably have a hard time spending more than that, no matter how good they were. They are over 2 years old and holding up just fine to fairly rough use - they get wadded up and stuffed in my laptop bag almost every day.

And just bought several pairs of MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 for the kids ($20 from amazon). The M6s seemed to be decent, cheap headphones.

If you are a runner, you might want to look at something that is designed to stay in your ear during activity. My S4i tend to jiggle out eventually, but I need to try the "over the ear" way of putting them in. And I might need to replace the foam inserts.

Doug
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Personally, I have a set of Klipsch Image S4i which I bought on sale (for $60). I'd probably have a hard time spending more than that, no matter how good they were. They are over 2 years old and holding up just fine to fairly rough use - they get wadded up and stuffed in my laptop bag almost every day.

And just bought several pairs of MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 for the kids ($20 from amazon). The M6s seemed to be decent, cheap headphones.

If you are a runner, you might want to look at something that is designed to stay in your ear during activity. My S4i tend to jiggle out eventually, but I need to try the "over the ear" way of putting them in. And I might need to replace the foam inserts.

Doug
    I'm curious as to how happy you are with the sound from the Klipsch buds. My stereo speakers are Klipsch, and I really like them, but I also understand that the ability to create great speakers does not always translate to head ware.

I have never been able to wear anything that just sits in the ear, like the stock Apple gear. In-ear phones I have tried are OK, but nothing special.

My personal head sets are all either on-ear or around-ear. I have Koss on ears, and Bose around ears. They sound nothing alike, but I enjoy both.

My favorites were some Sennheisers from years ago
    Last edited by Tom White; 08-23-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I am looking into getting new headphones. I am not a big fan of the headphones that go over my head as I generally spike my hair up for the day.

I loved my Bose in ear headphones when they worked. I had two of them and both had one side fail and I could only hear out of the other side.

I have a pair of Apple in ear ones but, the gel cushion are now coming off the headphones so I worry that one day I will just lose one of the gel cushions.

Are there any wrap around noise cancelling headphones? What do you recommend for in ear headphones?

I am ok with spending $100 like I did on the Bose ones if they hold up for more than a year.
    Ironically the Samsung Pair that came with my Galaxy note 2 were awesome. They had great sound for ear buds. But they wore out in less than a year. I picked up a free pair of Skull Candy ear buds with some credit card reward points, and they are pretty much crap. I actually really like my wife's pair of apple ear buds, but they don't integrate with my Note 2 phone. I also had a pair of Vox ear buds that were pretty nice and sounded good, but they too last only a year, due to constant use at the gym and getting all sweaty. Its amazing that these things don't' typically last longer. It makes me weary of spending $50-$60+ on a so called good pair.

Plus very hard to know what makes a good pair.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I actually really like my wife's pair...............
    We need a THAT'S WHAT HE SAID thread ..............

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I'm curious as to how happy you are with the sound from the Klipsch buds. My stereo speakers are Klipsch, and I really like them, but I also understand that the ability to create great speakers does not always translate to head ware.
    I like them. The sound is much better then the Shures I had before. Plus the Shures broke pretty quickly. I guess I'd describe the sound as "clean", but I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile. And I've probably got enough wax in my ears to degrade any headphones. :-)

I do have a old set Koss Porta-Pros at work. Those were great headphones. I'll have to compare the two someday. Although in-ear vs on-ear might change things a bit.

Doug
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

Mood

I have a cheapo set of nakamichi headphones I bought at Kmart. They sound great. I would wager that 90% of people couldn't tell the difference between them and a "high end" pair in a blind test.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a set of Monster noise canceling headphones I bought from a C-Store in the Dallas Airport, because I lost my earbuds and I wanted them for the plane. They're ok.

I was gifted a set of Beats Solos by my boss(and a 46" LED TV). The bass is thicker than the Monster ones, but the clarity in treble is pretty much the same.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love head-fi. I used their resources to build my own pair... modified alessandro MS1's. Totally not what you're looking for, but..... they sound awesome.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Doug
    Thanks for the information. Klipsch sounds pretty good if it can take a beating. I travel a lot for work so I need some headphones that can take beating going in and out of bags and on and off planes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I have a cheapo set of nakamichi headphones I bought at Kmart. They sound great. I would wager that 90% of people couldn't tell the difference between them and a "high end" pair in a blind test.
    Timely you should post about KMart. I stopped by there for something totally unrelated and, remembering your post, decided to drop in to what they pass off as their electronics department.

That became one of those "Look what I found" moments when I spied one pair of Koss Porta-Pros on a shelf.

They were marked down to $25!

Needless to say, I grabbed those, and have been enjoying the heck out of them since.

They are by no means world-beaters, but they really are as good as many people say, and are incredibly comfortable.
    Last edited by Tom White; 08-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Sony MDR7506
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden