Page 259 of 259 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259
Results 6,451 to 6,470 of 6470

Thread: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

  1. #6451
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    9,319

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Paul should share number one duties with George. He is good, but he isn't a "give him the ball and let him do his thing" number one option type of player. He shouldn't try to be like Kobe, instead he needs to go watch how Reggie Miller and Danny Granger played the game, and try to mold his offensive game after them. He will have a lot more consistent success as a number one option that way than if he continues to try to emulate Kobe Bryant.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  3. #6452
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    966

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    IMO the staff was throwing PG into the fire, letting him feel his way around into the next step as a bonafide star. That's why he and West, as Hibbert put it, had "carte blanche on whatever they want to do." And why not? We were on our way to best record in the East, while developing our only potential superstar. Many felt, including myself, that PG was going to corral the dribbling and take the leap in the offseason with the expirience of playing with Team USA. There was reason to be optimistic as many former USA players cite that as key to their development. Sadly things went tragically wrong.

  4. #6453
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    17,132

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul should share number one duties with George. He is good, but he isn't a "give him the ball and let him do his thing" number one option type of player. He shouldn't try to be like Kobe, instead he needs to go watch how Reggie Miller and Danny Granger played the game, and try to mold his offensive game after them. He will have a lot more consistent success as a number one option that way than if he continues to try to emulate Kobe Bryant.
    Paul's game is a lot more like Kobe Bryant's then Reggie or Danny's game. He's not the shooter that any of them are but the rest of his game is more Kobe.

  5. #6454
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,111

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO the staff was throwing PG into the fire, letting him feel his way around into the next step as a bonafide star. That's why he and West, as Hibbert put it, had "carte blanche on whatever they want to do." And why not? We were on our way to best record in the East, while developing our only potential superstar. Many felt, including myself, that PG was going to corral the dribbling and take the leap in the offseason with the expirience of playing with Team USA. There was reason to be optimistic as many former USA players cite that as key to their development. Sadly things went tragically wrong.
    Yep, I agree. And part of that was that Paul George needed to see that he could boost his individual stats by dominating the ball on offense but that the team results were worse. The Smashmouth era that is all but dead now that Bird killed it was about "ensemble" basketball. No one player dominated the ball. Hill and West had an efficient 2-man pick and roll game. Hibbert used to be a credible option in the post. Paul and Lance got a lot of opportunities when the ball "came back" to them. Neither Paul nor Lance actually have the ability to get the defense moving to create seams or opportunities in the way that a pick and roll or post player can do. Only a rare number of wing players can actually do that, and Paul's biggest attribute his ability to match up with those guys at the other end of the court.

    For a lot of those pick and rolls or post plays, the objective isn't necessarily a shot for Hill, West, or Hibbert, even though they were the first three options. The other objective is to get the defense on its heels (rotating, opening up seams) so that the wing players have a lane to attack or space for a jumper.

    Once West and Hill arrived, IMO Danny was the fourth option. Look at that first playoff series with Miami. The Pacers got nearly no production from either Granger or PG that series and were up 2-1 leading at halftime of Game 4 and then fell victim to LeBron deciding to play like the best player in the world in Game 4 in Indy.

    Through the first four games,

    Game 1 (loss)
    Granger 1-10 FG, 7 pts
    George 1-5 FG, 6 pts

    Game 2 (win in Miami)
    Granger 5-14, 11 pts
    George 4-11, 10 pts

    Game 3 (the blowout win)
    Granger 6-15, 17 pts
    George 3-6, 9 pts

    *That's Hibberts 19pts, 18 rebs game and GHill was the leading scorer with 20.

    Game 4 (when LeBron took over, damnit.)
    Granger 8-18, 20 pts
    George 4-11, 13 pts

    Now I've always felt that one of the reasons that game got away from us (other than LeBron just plain taking over) was that those guys took more shots than Roy, David and GHill combined... and that's not what was working. For us to be a contender with the roster that has been in place since GHill and West arrived was for the wings players, whether Danny, Paul, Lance, Dhantay, Miles, etc. to take a back seat in offensive priority to those three.

    I've always said that Paul, Danny, or Lance could have as many shots as they wanted after the ball came back to them, because the defense would be on the move, but should never be given a green light to dominate the ball. I'd like Paul's FGA's to increase, but not based on Paul's moves or ISOs but because of teamwork and ball movement. But if they switch a little guy onto David West in the pick-and-roll, too bad Paul I want David to have that shot first. And if they try to fight through the screen or play over the top on Hill, then too bad Paul I want George to take that shot. And if they don't double team Roy in the paint, then too bad Paul I want Roy to take that shot. So yes, in my mind Paul, Danny, or Lance was never higher than the fourth option. And the teams playing defense against us look to take away those three options. Do you think our opponents really minded that much when Paul and Lance were running all those ISO's? Sure, they'd get some points out of it but Paul and Lance were better at shutting down our first three options (which were working) than opponents were.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  7. #6455
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    966

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Smashmouth era that is all but dead now that Bird killed it was about "ensemble" basketball. No one player dominated the ball.
    It should be said, Roy was huge part of smash mouth basketball and he completely fell off a cliff last season. He had the worst stretch of basketball and consiquently we couldn't go to him. Couldn't even play him. There is no smash mouth without your All Star All NBA defender.

    I think you're a little to heavy on the PG blame here. He was not a perfect player last season, but he was probably our most consistent. Impressive considering he's asked to be our best player on offense and guard the other best player 82 games.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6456
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,111

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be said, Roy was huge part of smash mouth basketball and he completely fell off a cliff last season. He had the worst stretch of basketball and consiquently we couldn't go to him. Couldn't even play him. There is no smash mouth without your All Star All NBA defender.
    I like PG. And I get that the smashmouth team has died because Roy, for as good as he is, cannot be relied on to consistently contribute. And that's too bad, because it is going to take a significant roster overhaul to rebuild a faster, more offensive team that Bird talked about. At this point I really don't understand why Bird didn't blow it up last year when Lance left. My assumption this last season is that Bird was tooling up for one final run with Roy and David when Paul returned -- minus that other wing player that was more interested in being the triple-double star than filling a role on a winning team. (hint: was he unhappy last season because of his minutes or the W-L record? I say the former, I don't think he even noticed the latter.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  11. #6457
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,141
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    So I looked at Roy Hibbert's twitter and found it interesting that he re-tweeted Lance's tweet about Charlotte and the Clippers. He could have easily not done anything with it.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  12. #6458

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    New song from Lance. Not my genre really but sounds okay to me.
    http://www.audiomack.com/song/team-bornready/poppin

  13. #6459
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    17,132

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It should be said, Roy was huge part of smash mouth basketball and he completely fell off a cliff last season. He had the worst stretch of basketball and consiquently we couldn't go to him. Couldn't even play him. There is no smash mouth without your All Star All NBA defender.

    I think you're a little to heavy on the PG blame here. He was not a perfect player last season, but he was probably our most consistent. Impressive considering he's asked to be our best player on offense and guard the other best player 82 games.
    I'm sorry but there is nothing smash mouth about Roy Hibbert. More like smash butt every other time down the floor when he falls down.

  14. #6460
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Smash-mouth basketball was brought about by David West, no doubt about that. The decline of this team wasn't because of Hibbert or West, it was because of Lance leaving and the PG injury. Without Paul George getting injured, West would still be around in my honest opinion. When I saw that he opted out, to me that signaled the end of an era. I'm not saying that we're going back to the mediocre days (with the coach who shall not be named). We can still easily be a 3rd or 4th seed. But the days of us being the tough as nails bad boy of the NBA are over.

  15. #6461
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Smash-mouth basketball was brought about by David West, no doubt about that. The decline of this team wasn't because of Hibbert or West, it was because of Lance leaving and the PG injury. Without Paul George getting injured, West would still be around in my honest opinion. When I saw that he opted out, to me that signaled the end of an era. I'm not saying that we're going back to the mediocre days (with the coach who shall not be named). We can still easily be a 3rd or 4th seed. But the days of us being the tough as nails bad boy of the NBA are over.
    I'd say that smashmouth started with Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Foster... West came later in the process...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:


  17. #6462
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    23
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say that smashmouth started with Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Foster... West came later in the process...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I disagree. Hansbrough may be "tough", but our team as a whole was known as a bunch of milk drinkers at the time. Foster was before we were known as a smash-mouth team. When David West was signed, our team became tougher physically and mentally.

  18. #6463
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    17,132

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    If smash mouth basketball occurred during the 21st century, I wonder what the 90's should have been called. Decapitate head basketball? Sorry for that reference...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  20. #6464
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,327
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. Hansbrough may be "tough", but our team as a whole was known as a bunch of milk drinkers at the time. Foster was before we were known as a smash-mouth team. When David West was signed, our team became tougher physically and mentally.
    The smash mouth stuff started the day Vogel became the coach. He talked specifically about playing that way and gave Hibbert and Tyler bigger roles. He gave Granger more elbow post ups. We definitely played with that style; we made the bulls fans and players hate our team lol
    My prediction: Solomon Hill is going to lead the team in Surprisingly Good Plays for the year. -10/29/2014

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  22. #6465
    Next stop June 2015
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    17,132

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The smash mouth stuff started the day Vogel became the coach. He talked specifically about playing that way and gave Hibbert and Tyler bigger roles. He gave Granger more elbow post ups. We definitely played with that style; we made the bulls fans and players hate our team lol
    Yes, they did play more physical...with Tyler, Lou, Foster, etc. But if you recall, a lot of teams responded in kind and pounded us back. It's hard to wrap my head around calling that smash mouth. They were a poor man's version of 90's ball.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  24. #6466
    Bird's a turd Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,905

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Frank admitted there was a fight between Lance and Turner today

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  26. #6467
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank admitted there was a fight between Lance and Turner today
    How?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #6468
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,937

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Highly Questionable on ESPN.

  28. #6469
    Bird's a turd Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    16,905

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    there'll probably be video later, I'll post it when they upload it

  29. #6470
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,860

    Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

    Wow not sure where mind was. Pictured Lance and Myles Turner ducking it out. I'm not real quick today.

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •