Page 269 of 269 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 6720

Thread: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: All things Lance Stephenson thread for the next year or so

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lance is at his best pushing the ball up the floor and as a playmaker. He is not a stand in the corner guy whatsoever. After the defense is set, then he should give up the ball (assuming he doesn't have a clear opportunity.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Right. But he's a better stand-in-the-corner player ... once the defense is set ... than he is with the ball in his hands or attempting to iso.

The relevant caveat - if he gets a pass and the defense is rotating (due to a DWest pick and roll, due to a double team to push Roy out of the post, etc.) then he's okay again at attacking the basket because there is a seam in the D. But he's rotten at attacking a set defense.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's an indication he shot averagely from one location, for one season. No one is denying that. But you have to look at the whole picture, and where their shots are coming from in order to determine their overall shooting ability.

I think you'd balk at this logic if used on different players. If you honestly think that it doesn't matter whether or not they're at the rim or from 12 ft out (I'm assuming that extends to the 3pt line) then you should agree that Roy Hibbert is a better shooter than Kyle Korver. Roy's career FG% is 46%, Korver's is 44%. So it doesn't matter what type of shot they're taking, nor where they're taking them from, can you agree that Roy is a better shooter than Korver? Or does location and distance suddenly have merit?
    This is weak. A high percentage of Korver's shots are from 3. Exactly 75% were from 3 last year and he nailed 49% of them. I know you...and that you can do better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Lance is at his best pushing the ball up the floor and as a playmaker. He is not a stand in the corner guy whatsoever. After the defense is set, then he should give up the ball (assuming he doesn't have a clear opportunity.
    Too bad his BB IQ is too low to understand this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

It's an indication he shot averagely from one location, for one season. No one is denying that. But you have to look at the whole picture, and where their shots are coming from in order to determine their overall shooting ability.

I think you'd balk at this logic if used on different players. If you honestly think that it doesn't matter whether or not they're at the rim or from 12 ft out (I'm assuming that extends to the 3pt line) then you should agree that Roy Hibbert is a better shooter than Kyle Korver. Roy's career FG% is 46%, Korver's is 44%. So it doesn't matter what type of shot they're taking, nor where they're taking them from, can you agree that Roy is a better shooter than Korver? Or does location and distance suddenly have merit?
    weaksauce
    Danger Zone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Ok...the love fest may officially be over. I need more information on this, but not a big fan of this.

Lance has 9M/yr and his ex is asking for 12K/month to support his two kids. If he's actually fighting this...smh...this thread might as well be closed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2348119
    Source: NY Daily News

It's a pretty common thing with any athlete making a significant amount of money these days. Considering $12,000 per month is something like less than 2% of what Lance currently makes per year, I'd probably just give her it and be done with the situation. Then again, I have no clue how he's spent his money and what not (although nothing leads me to believe he's done anything crazy with it).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ok...the love fest may officially be over. I need more information on this, but not a big fan of this.

Lance has 9M/yr and his ex is asking for 12K/month to support his two kids. If he's actually fighting this...smh...this thread might as well be closed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2348119
    Source: NY Daily News
    I hear you. Comeon Lance.

With that said, I am not sure about Lance's choices. Based on the fact this woman had 2 kids with Lance, there is a fair chance she herself is crazy. If this is the case I too would be wary about giving her $12,000 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I hear you. Comeon Lance.

With that said, I am not sure about Lance's choices. Based on the fact this woman had 2 kids with Lance, there is a fair chance she herself is crazy. If this is the case I too would be wary about giving her $12,000 a month.
    The issue isn't the woman it's that Lance isn't willing to share a tiny fraction of his fortune with his own two kids. SMH

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The issue isn't the woman it's that Lance isn't willing to share a tiny fraction of his fortune with his own two kids. SMH
    I hear you. It could be as clear cut as you fear.

However, having been through domestic and custody issues, I can assure you that these things can be far more complex and murky than you can possibly imagine. You'd need to read some pretty detailed court documents before even beginning to form a reasonable assessment.

"I like our group of people," Ainge told USA Today. "I'm trying to teach them about basketball, and they're trying to teach me about analytics."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

However, having been through domestic and custody issues, I can assure you that these things can be far more complex and murky than you can possibly imagine. You'd need to read some pretty detailed court documents before even beginning to form a reasonable assessment.
    Yeah that being said two kids and she is only asking for 12k a month, while that would be a lot for me. He made 9 million last year his kids should be taken care of. On top of that they live in NY, its an expensive place to live, 12k does not go as far there as it does here.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

I agree that there can be more involved...and always is with domestic relations cases. Most people are or know people close to them who have divorced and they've seen it up close. Too complex to get into really.

....But if he is contending the 12K/yr and there is no other financial arrangement involved to support his kids, it's pretty tough to explain that one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is weak. A high percentage of Korver's shots are from 3. Exactly 75% were from 3 last year and he nailed 49% of them. I know you...and that you can do better than that.
    You said it doesn't matter where the shot is being taken from, now you're pointing out that Korver shoots a lot of 3s. Imagine that, logical inconsistency when applied to someone not named Lance.

I'm not the one claiming he's a terrible shooter...or really even saying he's a good shooter. All I am saying is that if he's converting 50% of his shots like he did in Indiana, he is "shooting" well. If he's hitting 35% of his threes, that is some indication that he can shoot OK. But I'm not the one really making statements about the technicalities of shooting the basketball. I am saying at the end of the day he's converting shots. To me, it doesn't matter too much if they are at the rim or 12 feet out...as long as the team has a mix of other players who can stretch the floor (like George Hill). It is a team game. You need more than 5 Kyle Korvers...although a couple would really help us....
    Pointing out shot location was a "technicality" before, and you weren't doing it, but here you are doing exactly that. Using the same exact argument that you just argued against.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-04-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

You said it doesn't matter where the shot is being taken from, now you're pointing out that Korver shoots a lot of 3s. Imagine that, logical inconsistency when applied to someone not named Lance.

Pointing out shot location was a "technicality" before, and you weren't doing it, but here you are doing exactly that. Using the same exact argument that you just argued against.
    I meant for 2 point shot attempts. 50% from the rim is worth 50% from 12 feet out.

Just take a little time to compare the points per shot attempt between Korver and Hibbert. The fact Korver almost shoots the same percentage as Roy means he scores almost 50% more per attempt.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I meant for 2 point shot attempts. 50% from the rim is worth 50% from 12 feet out.

Just take a little time to compare the points per shot attempt between Korver and Hibbert. The fact Korver almost shoots the same percentage as Roy means he scores almost 50% more per attempt.
    Isn't this getting dangerously close to using (*gasp*) an advanced stat like tFG% or eFG%?
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

So shooting the ball is the exact same from 0ft to 21ft, but once it gets to 22ft, it completely changes. Yep, that's the logic you're working with.

And notice I'm not talking about points. Points are obvious. We're talking about ability to SHOOT the basketball. Go out on a basketball floor and shoot the ball right in front of the rim. Now go shoot from 21ft. Which is more difficult to hit?
    Last edited by Since86; 09-04-2015 at 09:39 AM.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Isn't this getting dangerously close to using (*gasp*) an advanced stat like tFG% or eFG%?
    Exactly that.

EDIT: And that also means that DeAndre Jordan is a better shooter than Korver. eFG% is adjusted for the difference between two's and three's, DJ's eFG% is 74.8%. Korver's is 67.1%. Greg Stiemsma, Brandan Wright, DeAndre Jordan. The top 3 shooters in the NBA.
    Last edited by Since86; 09-04-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Are we really arguing whether or not Lance is a good shooter?

He has shown the ability to convert a high percentage around the rim, and to be at least respectable from 3. But that was a single season. Beyond that, he was below average from 3 and even lower than that from any other location except right at the rim.

Being a good finisher and being a good shooter are two different things. It's pretty clear-cut.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    He has shown the ability to convert a high percentage around the rim, and to be at least respectable from 3. But that was a single season. Beyond that, he was below average from 3 and even lower than that from any other location except right at the rim.
    I think the issue is not how good someone is at finishing around the rim so much as how often they do so.

For example, centers are judged very harshly for "only" shooting in the 50% range around the rim, because that is what they are supposed to do, and since it is where they should be taking most of their shots (in traditional positioning) the expectation is that a center's shooting percentage should be held to a higher standard than someone who shoots from farther outside. It's one of the huge knocks on Roy's offense, that he cannot hit more shots from a dominant position at the basket (because the man just doesn't dunk).

For Lance, it means that even if he DOES shoot 50% at the rim, if he only does it (say) 10% of the time then it is ineffective. The question is, of course, "why?" and the answer could range from "it isn't his function in the offense" to "he can only drive under specific favorable circumstances". Simply using his at-the-rim numbers as a raw evaluation of talent is cherry-picking.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

So shooting the ball is the exact same from 0ft to 21ft, but once it gets to 22ft, it completely changes. Yep, that's the logic you're working with.

And notice I'm not talking about points. Points are obvious. We're talking about ability to SHOOT the basketball. Go out on a basketball floor and shoot the ball right in front of the rim. Now go shoot from 21ft. Which is more difficult to hit?
    Steve Alford was a tremendous shooter...and how did his career go? IOW, I don't think it matters if a player is a great shooter if the results don't show on the court. Similarly, it doesn't matter much if a player is a poor shooter if he's still converting shots. That's Lance if you want to call him a poor shooter. At the end of the day, he can still be more effective than many players...and Alford is the poster boy for that.

Steve Alford was a tremendous shooter...and how did his career go? IOW, I don't think it matters if a player is a great shooter if the results don't show on the court. Similarly, it doesn't matter much if a player is a poor shooter if he's still converting shots. That's Lance if you want to call him a poor shooter. At the end of the day, he can still be more effective than many players...and Alford is the poster boy for that.
    Yeah, because more skills are needed than just shooting to be a bona fide NBA player. No one is saying Lance doesn't have the skills to be an NBA player. Instead what is being said is specific to one thing, shooting. Lance isn't a good shooter.