Thread: I need computer help!!!!

Default I need computer help!!!!

I finally found an antique S oak roll top desk I've been wanting for so long, so I swapped out the big compter desk for it. Problem is the desk is too small for the monitor and tower. I found an Acer 20" flat monitor, $15, to replace the old monitor... works great. The tower won't fit the desk, so it's presently sitting on the floor with wires everywhere. I don't like this at all, then OTOH don't like the idea of cutting hole in an antique desk to run wires.

My question is, as I'm computer illiterate, would a laptop be a better option? Are they really that advantageous for someone who doesn't use a computer that much other than PD, Craigslist, emails?

If I got a laptop, would highspeed or wifi be best? I wouldn't be carrying it. Or would one of those mini computers, which will fit the desk, be ok? Any help, suggestions, or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Justin

Default Re: I need computer help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I finally found an antique S oak roll top desk I've been wanting for so long, so I swapped out the big compter desk for it. Problem is the desk is too small for the monitor and tower. I found an Acer 20" flat monitor, $15, to replace the old monitor... works great. The tower won't fit the desk, so it's presently sitting on the floor with wires everywhere. I don't like this at all, then OTOH don't like the idea of cutting hole in an antique desk to run wires.

My question is, as I'm computer illiterate, would a laptop be a better option? Are they really that advantageous for someone who doesn't use a computer that much other than PD, Craigslist, emails?

If I got a laptop, would highspeed or wifi be best? I wouldn't be carrying it. Or would one of those mini computers, which will fit the desk, be ok? Any help, suggestions, or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Justin
    You mentioned not wanting to cut on the desk, and not wanting exposed wires, but anything you put within the rolltop is going to have wires of some sort. If you want to close the desk, what are you going to do with the power cord?

Justin
    If you get a laptop you can charge it up and you need no cabling whatsoever. If you do not want to use the pad on the laptop for scrollong etc., then get a wireless mouse. They come with a USB device you plug in and away you go. Of course you will have to plug it in to charge it. That can be done off the rolltop if you want.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    You mentioned not wanting to cut on the desk, and not wanting exposed wires, but anything you put within the rolltop is going to have wires of some sort. If you want to close the desk, what are you going to do with the power cord?
    The roll top won't be closed as I couldn't b/c the monitor wouldn't allow it. I believe if necessary I could drill/cut a hole about the size of a qtr in an inconspicous place. Just looking at all options.

I was wondering if most people use a computer/tower or a laptop?

Sounds like the desk is your problem. I'll give you $25 to take it off your hands for you. I'll even come pick it up. No need for you to deliver it.

Just trying to help out a fellow PDer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

The roll top won't be closed as I couldn't b/c the monitor wouldn't allow it. I believe if necessary I could drill/cut a hole about the size of a qtr in an inconspicous place. Just looking at all options.

I was wondering if most people use a computer/tower or a laptop?
    Tower computers are becoming dinosaurs. Kinda strange to say that. :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use a laptop so i can sit with it on my lap and watch t.v. in a comfy chair. For what you use a computer for even the cheapest should do ok. I would go with the wifi since you want to minimize wires and you can carry it into the living room and watch t.v. while on PD.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

If all you are going to use it for would be for PD, Craiglists, and email etc, would a tablet be an option?

You can get keyboards for them if you absolutely need one.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    If all you are going to use it for would be for PD, Craiglists, and email etc, would a tablet be an option?

Good idea. If you get a printer which will synch with it over wifi then you could print anything you need as well. Then you can watch t.v. anywhere. and do that other stuff too, provided you have wifi access or a good data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Call me when a laptop can transcode video at a rate efficient enough to beat a desktop unit.

I do tech support for a streaming media software product, so many people submit tickets trying to run it and it just overpowers their laptops. They just aren't powerful enough yet to supplant a desktop unless you want to pay a literal arm and a leg for a "Corvette" of a laptop.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Sounds like the desk is your problem. I'll give you $25 to take it off your hands for you. I'll even come pick it up. No need for you to deliver it.

Just trying to help out a fellow PDer.

LOL! Thanx for the offer, but I'll just have to pass on it as I don't wont to have to take 2 doors off again in order to get it out of the room and house. Besides this roll top has some history for me which makes me appreciate it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

A good friend of mine has a tablet that they use instead of a computer. I'm constantly having them look at a pic of something I'm interested in off CL or an auction, and enlarging the pic in order to get a better view of what I want to see. I got a tablet around X-mas time and returned it. Now with this desk, it might be something to consider again.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Depends on what you are going for, really. If you are looking to get a gaming rig, desktop still has an advantage.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

The stuff you're doing is so basic that any model tablet or laptop will be able to handle it. In other words, go for the most basic model that fits your other needs (screen size).

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: