Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Marion meets with Pacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

Given TonyD's track record on breaking NBA stories (Brad Stevens, Andrew Bynum signing), I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I'm not sure if this will actually happen. He wants to go to a contender. I don't see us as being contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As Herm would say, You play to win the games!!!

We should have tanked in 2011. That Bulls series did nothing for our future. It just gave us a worse pick. Green

It's exactly right. You play to win and you don't play to tank. So we should play the year out with our current roster with the highest expectation possible. That's what "you play to win" means and it's what happened in 2011. We could have not made the playoffs but who knows? You play to win. If you win and a another star emerges, celebrate and adjust your strategy from there. If you lose, celebrate and take the higher draft picks. You never and no body should do a one year rental to just make yourself probably 5-8 wins better. It rarely worked out in the past with any team. Even with Lebron's miami team, all those two-hundered-year-old supporting cast were not one year rentals and you do that kind of short-term rental when you are sure you are chasing Championship.

I hope and think this signing is not gonna happen. It just doesn't make sense. Be true to our team and play to win and hope for the best. We don't aim to tank, but if we do lose with our team, we will happily take the higher picks and select a talented young play to play alongside George or pair it with one of our core players for a bigger trade. WE will have much more options. No stupid one year rentals that leads us nowhere but to fewer options in the future!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by chungyus View Post
    It's exactly right. You play to win and you don't play to tank. So we should play the year out with our current roster with the highest expectation possible. That's what "you play to win" means and it's what happened in 2011. We could have not made the playoffs but who knows? You play to win. If you win and a another star emerges, celebrate and adjust your strategy from there. If you lose, celebrate and take the higher draft picks. You never and no body should do a one year rental to just make yourself probably 5-8 wins better. It rarely worked out in the past with any team. Even with Lebron's miami team, all those two-hundered-year-old supporting cast were not one year rentals and you do that kind of short-term rental when you are sure you are chasing Championship.

I hope and think this signing is not gonna happen. It just doesn't make sense. Be true to our team and play to win and hope for the best. We don't aim to tank, but if we do lose with our team, we will happily take the higher picks and select a talented young play to play alongside George or pair it with one of our core players for a bigger trade. WE will have much more options. No stupid one year rentals that leads us nowhere but to fewer options in the future!
    I don't think that we're planning to use Marion as a one-year rental. My guess is that the plan is for him to gel with the rest of the team this season and then offer him a 2-year deal to help relieve PG from heavy defensive duties. He could also help mentor Solomon Hill. It would be great if Solo was able to model his game after Marion's (he does have good defensive insticts after all).
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chungyus View Post
    No stupid one year rentals that leads us nowhere but to fewer options in the future!
    Serious question - do you think Shawn Marion brings something to the floor that our current younger players and team can learn from?

If so, it provides more resources to grow your players.

Fighting for a playoff spot IS part of a team's growth. Better to get some of that growth under their belts in the year without PG than to simply tell them (by action if not by words) that it's just an extended practice year and winning doesn't mean anything.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    I'm not sure if this will actually happen. He wants to go to a contender. I don't see us as being contenders.
    All players would prefer to go to a contender if the money is equal. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, we can offer more than the contenders who have shown interest.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I hope there's a dunk and layup only clause in his contract. I don't want to see that jump shot 😳

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Evan_The_Dude For This Useful Post:

I like how we have people saying that finishing 8th hurts our future and believe being the 8th seed is pointless.

Last time we were 8th seed, it helped transform Indy into title contenders and become the only team from the East aside from Boston to win multiple games in a series against Miami over the past four seasons. Pacers had 3 chances against Miami and won 8 games(12 losses). To put that into perspective, the rest of the east had 9 chances against Miami and won 9 games(36 losses). Only 6 wins if you don't include the Celtics.

Making the playoffs is good for experience, good for team morale and could help to lure future free agents. I'll take that over our team believing they suck and can only win with PG. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I rather enjoyed the Pacers-Bulls series last time we were the 8th seed. With competent refs, we probably win that series. Almost won the series regardless. For the record, this team will finish higher than 8th imo.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I've posted about Marion since the day after Paul got injured, so yeah I hope this happens.

And come on guys, we'd be stealing Marion away from LeBron and the Cavs. Doesn't that count for something?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I like how we have people saying that finishing 8th hurts our future and believe being the 8th seed is pointless.
    East Standings
    Pacers 2013: 1st
    Pacers 2012: 3rd
    Pacers 2011: 3rd
    Pacers 2010: 8th
    Pacers 2009: 10th
    Pacers 2008: 9th
    Pacers 2007: 9th
    Pacers 2006: 9th
    Pacers 2005: 6th
    Pacers 2004: 6th

How is it that our future will be ruined this time around should we finish around 8th instead of tanking when that's essentially what was happening for years prior to building the current roster. People who would rather finish 9th instead of 8th... I'm out of words.
    Last edited by TOP; 08-12-2014 at 09:14 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

http://www.wthr.com/story/26256251/2...covery-process

INDIANAPOLIS - Pacers President Larry Bird and Head Coach Frank Vogel are expected to talk about Paul George's recovery process at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

George suffered a terrible leg injury last week.

George will also have a very different look when he returns to the team.

He's changing his jersey number from 24 to 13.

George petitioned the NBA for the number change.

He says he's also buying all of the number 24 jerseys that are still on store shelves.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 6:11 AM EDTUpdated: Aug 12, 2014 6:19 AM EDT

Mood

Could Marion be an effective way to help keep West's minutes down, and allow us to play small better?? Cope/Rudez as our scorers at the SF Miles as our SG??

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLineabout 33 minutes ago
    Indy IS trying to wedge its way into contention for Shawn Marion and Larry Bird did meet Monday with Marion, but Cavs remain in lead for now

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz3ABRKKxDB

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Can we change the thread title for now? I'm not one for censoring, but maybe this is a good time for the update.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    assuming, if true, we paid him. hope Donald Sloan's up and paying attention, and didn't get a mortgage here. again, if true, I dig it. screw tanking, PG's not dead.

Sloan's spot, but with exemption money won't the Pacers be over the LT unless they get rid of Scola?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why was the thread title never changed in the first place lol.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    It ain't happening, but playoff games are? Behind who? Who is taking this team to the playoffs. I'm all ears.
    Come on 6-8 seed in the east is a lot easier than trying to get a top 5 pick this year.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

If he left without an agreement from our "closer" Larry Bird, chances are he's going to Cleveland.

looks like he is at the airport

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

It's being reported that he met last night with the Pacers.

Hmmmmm....appears he's at the airport. Either they agreed on a deal and it isn't reported or he's leaving without one.

Sounds like Tony and some others may have jumped the gun. Doesn't mean it still can't happen though.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Yea looks like the gun was jumped

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Because it's pointless... With Scola and West soon to be gone (and their games on the wrong side of 30). Hibbert's value tanked and questionable consistency issues, Lance gone, PG temporarily gone, etc. it is a throwaway year. Why work hard to lose traction in next year's draft?

Look at who has been drafted at the 12 and who has been drafted at the 15 spot the last few years.

013 draft
    12 Adams
    15 Adetokunbo

012 draft
    12 Lamb
    15 Harkless

011 draft
    12 Burks
    15 K Leonard

010 draft
    12 Henry
    15 Sanders

Teams at 15, who made the playoffs, drafted better players than a #12 lottery team. I'd rather make the playoffs and still have an opportunity to draft a good player. My guess is ownership and the FO feel the same. Object is to cut as much lost revenue as possible fielding a playoff team.

Let's no forget the Pacers got Granger and Hibbert at #17.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    It could be more about building up a team that might attract free agents rather than trying to hit the the lottery.
    THIS! 1000 times. Hoping for insane luck in the draft (when the team is not nearly top ten pick bad anyway) is a waste of time. If this team is gonna improve with PG it's going to be through free agency (and smart late drafting).

Any scenario that hinges on the team getting bad enough to pick in the top ten (still largely a crap shoot) is one where Paul George doesn't even stick around and the team gets stuck in the rebuilding cycle for years upon years.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    THIS! 1000 times. Hoping for insane luck in the draft (when the team is not nearly top ten pick bad anyway) is a waste of time. If this team is gonna improve with PG it's going to be through free agency (and smart late drafting).

Any scenario that hinges on the team getting bad enough to pick in the top ten (still largely a crap shoot) is one where Paul George doesn't even stick around and the team gets stuck in the rebuilding cycle for years upon years.
    What free agents do you think we will be attracting, we can't even get Shawn Marion to come here, even by offering him 4 million more than the competing team. Honestly we really got luck with West coming here, when he did.

Also when is PG really planning on leaving this team? Who even knows how he will be when he comes back?
    Why so SERIOUS