Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 252

Thread: Shawn Marion meets with Pacers

  1. #51
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,845

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    via Tim Donahue

    Tony Donohue @TonyD1070
    Follow
    I can confirm that Shawn Marion is in Indianapolis tonight.

    David Dearing @DD1070
    Follow
    Shawn Marion. Pacer.
    I hope you're correct but your title is misleading and you may have jumped to conclusions.....but I hope you're right
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  2. #52
    Come Home Lance! BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,997

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Marion is a great pickup. We badly needed some depth on the wing. We might actually be decent...as in a playoff team.

    Edit: Back in the Troy Murphy days, we would die for this lineup. We have actually come a very long way.

  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,403

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doing this to win games next year in spite of crippling years that matter feels like winning a battle but losing the war.
    There's not a huge difference between say the 10th-12th pick and the 15-17th pick. If there is, we have two huge expiring contracts in West and Roy to trade if we want to do something. I realy don't see how trying to win games this year is going to hurt our future moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

  5. #54
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    All the players and competition in the west is better than in the east until the Pacers sign one of them.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's not a huge difference between say the 10th-12th pick and the 15-17th pick. If there is, we have two huge expiring contracts in West and Roy to trade if we want to do something. I realy don't see how trying to win games this year is going to hurt our future moving forward.
    neither of those is expiring unless we do West (sorta) dirty and dump him to Minnesota or something

  8. #56
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,788

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look if I thought this team was going to finish 14th or 15th, I'd be right on board with you homer, but I just don't see it. Moving from 9th to 6th is something I am for, and I bet the Simons will be pleased with that too. Plus if we're the six seed we're probably playing Toronto or Washington in the first round.
    Agreed, plus this team will have plenty of vets which could give us a better chance if we face one of these up and coming teams in the playoffs.

  9. #57
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's not a huge difference between say the 10th-12th pick and the 15-17th pick. If there is, we have two huge expiring contracts in West and Roy to trade if we want to do something. I realy don't see how trying to win games this year is going to hurt our future moving forward.
    Haven't you seen teams like the timberwolves making sure not to cripple their future by winning? That's a strategy I could get behind.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  11. #58
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    remember the last time a team gave up a 1st rounder and what turned into a promising young(ish) big and a marginally bad contract to a team that was supposed to be pretty mediocre because he was the "missing piece?"

    me either.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  13. #59
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,285
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    playoff experience for stuckey, solo and miles. 3 fking spots in the draft doesn't mean ****.
    It could mean the difference between Kerry Kittles and Kobe Bryant. A good player vs a legend.


    (yeah yeah yeah, I know its actually 5 spots, but still)
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #60
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It could mean the difference between Kerry Kittles and Kobe Bryant. A good player vs a legend.


    (yeah yeah yeah, I know its actually 5 spots, but still)
    regardless of how asinine this one time example is, we could really use a Kerry Kittles, dude could play before the knees

  15. #61
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,956

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Plus how fun is it to say Kerry Kittles?
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:


  17. #62
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,285
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    regardless of how asinine this one time example is, we could really use a Kerry Kittles, dude could play before the knees
    It's not asinine, it's just logic. A higher pick equals a bigger talent pool to choose from, and thus a higher chance to draft a great player. You don't win championships with your best players being drafted at 10 and 17. It just doesn't happen.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  18. #63
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,403

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    neither of those is expiring unless we do West (sorta) dirty and dump him to Minnesota or something
    It's starting to be a bit more common for players to opt out of a pay day for one year in order to find a multi year deal at a bit of a smaller amount per year. You're right, they're both player options but I wouldn't be surprised if Roy opted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

  19. #64
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,403

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not asinine, it's just logic. A higher pick equals a bigger talent pool to choose from, and thus a higher chance to draft a great player. You don't win championships with your best players being drafted at 10 and 17. It just doesn't happen.
    We probably weren't going to be bad enough to net a top 10 pick anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  21. #65
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,543

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Not my first preference, but it might help us be one playoff seed better.

  22. #66
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,285
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We probably weren't going to be bad enough to net a top 10 pick anyway...
    I honestly think without signing Marion we win 30 games or so. I think that much of a dropoff is not only possible, but likely.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  23. #67
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not asinine, it's just logic. A higher pick equals a bigger talent pool to choose from, and thus a higher chance to draft a great player. You don't win championships with your best players being drafted at 10 and 17. It just doesn't happen.
    yes, it's asinine. you're completely ignoring Kobe, one, being a high school kid who'd have been at the very least a top 3 pick in this one and done environment, and two, his people (allegedly) demanding a big market.

    ask the Cavs how those 4 top 5s in 3 years or whatever it was did for them (Lebron's not going there if he's from Arizona so don't give me that ********). you win championships by drafting well and having good scouts, period, not getting high picks.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  25. #68
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's starting to be a bit more common for players to opt out of a pay day for one year in order to find a multi year deal at a bit of a smaller amount per year. You're right, they're both player options but I wouldn't be surprised if Roy opted out.
    if Roy has a good year and opts out I wouldn't blame him, but I'd honestly have no interest in re-signing him. and I adore him. I'm as big a proponent of "loyalty doesn't exist unless you're a fan" as much as anyone, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

  26. #69

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    You can have good scouts, draft well, and have high picks. See: Oklahoma City.

  27. #70
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,586

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    OKC win something recently?

    now tell me, as a Pacers fan, how it's about injuries...

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  29. #71
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    625
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Good pick up. If the lineup stays basically as is, in the annual win prediction thread I will say a .500 season give or take two. IND will be respectable and make the playoffs, but they will struggle to score.

    But who knows? I could be way, way off to one side or the other. Someone(s) might have a breakout year and shock everyone. Or the team could go totally down the toilet and not make the playoffs. It's just that kind of team to me. Hard to predict until you actually see them play.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:


  31. #72
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,564

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can have good scouts, draft well, and have high picks. See: Oklahoma City.
    Or have good scouts draft well where your picks are and create an effective team like the Spurs

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:


  33. #73

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    I think the reason for this signing is get your team in the playoffs, and then you prove you have a good supporting cast, add PG, a draft pick, and an MLE player and then you go out for a title on 15-16.

  34. #74
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,564

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if Roy has a good year and opts out I wouldn't blame him, but I'd honestly have no interest in re-signing him. and I adore him. I'm as big a proponent of "loyalty doesn't exist unless you're a fan" as much as anyone, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.
    I agree I love how Roy plays defense and impacts the team on that end but for the Pacers to resign him I'd expect him to take a pay cut to around 11 million if not they will let him walk imo

  35. #75

    Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OKC win something recently?

    now tell me, as a Pacers fan, how it's about injuries...
    They won the Western Conference a few years ago and have set themselves up nicely to be a dominant team in the future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •