Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Marion meets with Pacers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shawn Marion to sign with Indy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look at who has been drafted at the 12 and who has been drafted at the 15 spot the last few years.

013 draft
    12 Adams
    15 Adetokunbo

012 draft
    12 Lamb
    15 Harkless

011 draft
    12 Burks
    15 K Leonard

010 draft
    12 Henry
    15 Sanders

Teams at 15, who made the playoffs, drafted better players than a #12 lottery team. I'd rather make the playoffs and still have an opportunity to draft a good player. My guess is ownership and the FO feel the same. Object is to cut as much lost revenue as possible fielding a playoff team.

Let's no forget the Pacers got Granger and Hibbert at #17.
    It can happen, but you can blame that on the teams all had a chance to draft the guy at 15 but you can not say that about team drafting at 15, btw we are talking about 3 pick difference, who knows where we would end up in the draft, I am telling you guys the the division we are in is going to be hard, we really have no leader right now, west is aging, Roy doesn't know who he is, Hill will probably be sobbing all year, and Vogel is not that good of a coach when needing to make adjustments, this could turnout to be a really long year.
    Why so SERIOUS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

From the Presser - it didn't sound that Bird was too confident about Marion coming here...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    In general, the reaction to this signing depends on how each one of us feels about the team's core without PG.

The people who still feel good about a Hill/Hibbert/West core and think that the team should give it another shot are glad about this signing.

The people who don't feel good about the above core and want us to retool don't like the signing and would prefer us to tank this season.
    I am definitely in the second group. I don't think this core can win a title. We hit the ceiling midway through last season. That is why I am so ready to retool it. I don't want to have a fringe team every year that will never win a title. I'd rather have a few bad years to create better ones.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well according to Bird's response, we could probably scratch this thread :/

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    What free agents do you think we will be attracting, we can't even get Shawn Marion to come here, even by offering him 4 million more than the competing team. Honestly we really got luck with West coming here, when he did.

Also when is PG really planning on leaving this team? Who even knows how he will be when he comes back?
    Star players in their prime don't want to play for rebuilding teams. This shouldn't be news.

"hey PG, we are trading all your effective teammates in a bid to get really bad so we can add some totally unproven prospects through the draft. We think, with a totally unlikely amount of luck, we could be really good in 5 years! What's that? Oh you signed somewhere else when your contract was up, right..."

The other scenario is to stay competitive to prove the value of the supporting cast, bring back a fully recovered PG, and have some cap money to work with to try to add an impact player in free agency. A healthy PG + good supporting cast + impact signing is a far more rational strategy then getting terrible on purpose and hoping for an insane amount of luck.

I think this idea that we can't get a free agent is bunk. If we have the money and can offer a chance to win, you absolutely have a decent shot.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If this doesn't happen now it is your fault. I hope you are willing to accept that.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    I am definitely in the second group. I don't think this core can win a title. We hit the ceiling midway through last season. That is why I am so ready to retool it. I don't want to have a fringe team every year that will never win a title. I'd rather have a few bad years to create better ones.
    There are a lot of teams that try this strategy and don't recover. Far more teams that have this type of thinking remain at the bottom of the standings. There are far more examples of teams trying to be bad for a "few" years that remain bad, than not.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Seems like Marion just pulled a Nene: you know, that thing where a player feigns interest in the Pacers just so Larry Legend sits across a table from them and tells them how special they are.

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    Well according to Bird's response, we could probably scratch this thread :/
    Talk about premature postulation by BlueCollarColts

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    Talk about premature postulation by BlueCollarColts
    I would like to apologize to all my friends and family and all that I have effected with this poor decision

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    Serious question. Then are you saying we should punt on PG? Because I don't believe we have time to get bad enough to then get good enough again to convince him to stick around long term.

If you have a top ten-ish player already you don't sell the farm in hopes of maybe developing another top ten-ish player in 5-6 years (if you are lucky). You build around the one you already have.

The chances of getting a once in a generation player like Lebron or something are astronomically low. Even getting another PG caliber player is not terribly likely. I will never understand the inane longing to renter lottery hell for years (it takes years!). This core has been a top 3 seed three years running, is coming off being a number 1 seed, and has a young superstar who hasn't exactly peaked (even if he's out for the year, word is he's expecting 100% Recovery) a little retooling, an impact free agent signing. You are right there.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I would like to apologize to all my friends and family and all that I have effected with this poor decision
    FIX THE TITLE BLUE!!!!! j/k bro, but really fix the title.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    FIX THE TITLE BLUE!!!!! j/k bro, but really fix the title.
    Lol i have no idea how to do that.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Star players in their prime don't want to play for rebuilding teams. This shouldn't be news.

"hey PG, we are trading all your effective teammates in a bid to get really bad so we can add some totally unproven prospects through the draft. We think, with a totally unlikely amount of luck, we could be really good in 5 years! What's that? Oh you signed somewhere else when your contract was up, right..."

The other scenario is to stay competitive to prove the value of the supporting cast, bring back a fully recovered PG, and have some cap money to work with to try to add an impact player in free agency. A healthy PG + good supporting cast + impact signing is a far more rational strategy then getting terrible on purpose and hoping for an insane amount of luck.

I think this idea that we can't get a free agent is bunk. If we have the money and can offer a chance to win, you absolutely have a decent shot.
    You are missing the point West will be around this season and most likely next because no other team will be paying him 12.6 MILLION, on top of that we are paying Roy 15.5 and he can't even play more than 10 minutes in a playoff game, what kind of core is that? Hill does not have a position which is why we tried so hard to get Dragic. Most guys are free agents and we do not know which will sign back, Scola, Copeland, Watson, Stuckey, Allen, Sloan...

And even with all those players gone and just the current players on the books we are at 58.2 MILLION DOLLARS, which is should be around 66.5 or so next season, basically leaving us with 8 mill to sign a full roster, and possibly paying a bit extra to keep some guys around, so basically we won't be able to bring in many free agents worth much anyways, on top of that it PG does not have a player option until 2018, where is he going....

Add to that you have no idea how long it will take PG to get back to the same playing level if ever, what are you trying to hold on to this inadequate core of the future for? My thing is winning championships, I personally think we need to add meaningful pieces to do that, that is not happening through free agency because of limitations currently maybe in two years, but if we can acquire young potential and 2-3 years from now have a team that can contend again I am totally up for that, but this future core is more like a crust to me at this point.
    Why so SERIOUS

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol i have no idea how to do that.
    Go to the first post. Go to edit and then go advanced. You should be able to change the thread title.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    I like how we have people saying that finishing 8th hurts our future and believe being the 8th seed is pointless.

Last time we were 8th seed, it helped transform Indy into title contenders and become the only team from the East aside from Boston to win multiple games in a series against Miami over the past four seasons. Pacers had 3 chances against Miami and won 8 games(12 losses). To put that into perspective, the rest of the east had 9 chances against Miami and won 9 games(36 losses). Only 6 wins if you don't include the Celtics.

Making the playoffs is good for experience, good for team morale and could help to lure future free agents. I'll take that over our team believing they suck and can only win with PG. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I rather enjoyed the Pacers-Bulls series last time we were the 8th seed. With competent refs, we probably win that series. Almost won the series regardless. For the record, this team will finish higher than 8th imo.
    Well the difference is that the 10-11 Pacers were full of players who had never played in the playoffs before and the experience was great. The experience of getting stomped by Cleveland will probably do nothing for guys who have played in Game 7 of the ECF.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Go to the first post. Go to edit and then go advanced. You should be able to change the thread title.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    thanks a bunch, thread title changed.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Guess you're not in the know!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Default Re: Shawn Marion meets with Pacers

Well then, that was at least semi entertaining over the last day or so.

It was nice knowing you (or at least entertaining the idea of you, Shawn. Enjoy Cleveland!
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well then, that was at least semi entertaining over the last day or so.

It was nice knowing you (or at least entertaining the idea of you, Shawn. Enjoy Cleveland!
    I wanted him here, I thought they would have been a tough out with that group from a defensive standpoint.

Now, I want to give heavy minutes to develop some guys like Solo and Lavoy Allen. It's probably better that way, anyway.

Bummer. Another mostly pointless press conference.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...-front-runners

300k won't be enough to choose Indy over Cleveland/contender. What a crappy offseason. Trying to think if its the worse ever in the modern era for a Pacers team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post

Making the playoffs is good for experience, good for team morale and could help to lure future free agents. I'll take that over our team believing they suck and can only win with PG. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I rather enjoyed the Pacers-Bulls series last time we were the 8th seed. With competent refs, we probably win that series. Almost won the series regardless. For the record, this team will finish higher than 8th imo.
    We were not gonna win that Bulls series. Are you kidding me?!

I also don't think Indy has changed the minds of top free agents coming here.
    Last edited by pogi; 08-12-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Retire the Shawn Marion Pacers jersey! Undefeated with his 16 hours on the team!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post: