Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: PG-13 Official

  1. #1
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,062

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default PG-13 Official

    PG was set to become PG-13 this season, and it sounds like the new 13 jerseys will be available this season.

    Paul George downsizing uni number
    By Darren Rovell | ESPN.com
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...r-24-13-injury

    Despite his absence, the Indiana Pacers will surely sell some Paul George jerseys this upcoming season, and when they do, they'll have a different number on them.

    Before the deadline in the first week of March, George applied for and was granted the right to switch from No. 24 to No. 13, sources told ESPN.com. As per league rules for a player who changes jersey numbers on the same team, George will have to buy up all remaining No. 24s from the marketplace.

    The idea might have come from ESPN's Bill Simmons, who first mentioned the idea on Grantland in May 2013.

    "By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name," Simmons wrote. "He should change his number immediately from No. 24 to No. 13. Here's why ... can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming PG-13? 'Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up!' 'Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check!' 'We might have to make this performance rated R -- it's too hot to handle!' Let's make this happen already."

    George liked the idea when asked about it on Jimmy Kimmel in January. "That's got a ring to it, PG-13," George said at the time.

    He has been dropping hints of the change to fans. Over the past month, he has tweeted trece, which means 13 in Spanish, seven times.

    George finished last season 15th in the league in jersey sales, according to sales at the NBA Store in New York City and on the online NBA Store.

    Ironically, George wore No. 24 because of Kobe Bryant, who in 2006 changed his number to 24 from No. 8.

    The switch will be the second-most high profile number switch in the league next season. LeBron James, of course, has changed his number from 6 back to 23, but he did not have to file for a change because he switched teams.

    George suffered a compound fracture to his right leg during a Team USA scrimmage earlier this month.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I like 24 better, it just looks better and has a cooler feel on a jersey than 13. Maybe it's just me

  4. #3
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,856

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I love how Bill Simmons is taking credit for this as if he's the first guy who came up with the thought.

    I'm pretty sure plenty of folks here on the board casually mentioned it here or on twitter LONG before Simmons did.

  5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Bill Simmons is an idiot. Personally, I think the 13 looks fine on him.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  8. #5

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I don't believe in voodoo and jinxes and all that, but MAN...

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Gots to get da Flo JO

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,309

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gots to get da Flo JO
    For realz.

    PG13 gets a thumbs up from me.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  13. #8
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,861

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I will have to wear my Mark Jackson jersey to the next game I attend and see how many people think its a PG throwback

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,591

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will have to wear my Mark Jackson jersey to the next game I attend and see how many people think its a PG throwback
    I get odd looks when I wear my Billy Keller ABA jersey from people thinking I'm rocking a Tinsley...
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    @TRouse32 thatch3232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anderson, IN/Marion, IN
    Posts
    264

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how Bill Simmons is taking credit for this as if he's the first guy who came up with the thought.

    I'm pretty sure plenty of folks here on the board casually mentioned it here or on twitter LONG before Simmons did.
    No where on Twitter or Grantland has Bill Simmons taken credit for this. Darren Rovell is the one that cited Simmons as the original source.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thatch3232 For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,062

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No where on Twitter or Grantland has Bill Simmons taken credit for this. Darren Rovell is the one that cited Simmons as the original source.
    He's still a douche.

  20. #12
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,082

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Unlucky 13..... I think I'd just say "Nevermind" right now...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #13

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Cool, hope he comes back stronger than ever and is rated "R"

  22. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,262

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I'll be getting a Flo-Jo. Hopefully they'll use them as next year's throwbacks as well.

  23. #15
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,606

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...ry?ex_cid=null

    Because George applied for the change before the March deadline, he doesn't have to pay for the remaining old No. 24s on the market. Sources, however, said he still elected to do so.
    He should buy them all up and then donate them to charity.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  25. #16

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    so am I the only one that'll admit "PG-13" is cheesy as hell? every connotation of the phrase can basically be summed up with "soft."

  26. #17
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,911

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so am I the only one that'll admit "PG-13" is cheesy as hell? every connotation of the phrase can basically be summed up with "soft."
    YOUNG TRECE YO

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  27. #18

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    I bet Bob Netolicky hates to hear that news . . .

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to AustinWind For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,044

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Sucks that he has to buy all of the old 24s. You would think those would become a bit of collectables after a player changes their number, especially someone like Paul. Yeah, might take a few years for it to happen, but it most likely would and then you could sell them for a fortune.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,675

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sucks that he has to buy all of the old 24s. You would think those would become a bit of collectables after a player changes their number, especially someone like Paul. Yeah, might take a few years for it to happen, but it most likely would and then you could sell them for a fortune.

    I agree. There's nothing better than seeing someone rock Mamba's old 8. I get that PG's not quite Kobe, but I think it's cool when you see old number jerseys. An appropriate Pacer example would be the Smits 24 jerseys that they sell in the Home Court gift shop. He switched to 45 after Chuck Person left. What is it with big named Pacers switching out of 24?

  32. #21

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sucks that he has to buy all of the old 24s. You would think those would become a bit of collectables after a player changes their number, especially someone like Paul. Yeah, might take a few years for it to happen, but it most likely would and then you could sell them for a fortune.
    way I understand it he didn't HAVE to, met some deadline, but did it anyway

  33. #22

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    The Smits 24 jerseys always throw me for a double and triple check.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,689
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sucks that he has to buy all of the old 24s. You would think those would become a bit of collectables after a player changes their number, especially someone like Paul. Yeah, might take a few years for it to happen, but it most likely would and then you could sell them for a fortune.
    PG didn't have to. He just did.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

  36. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,675

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Smits 24 jerseys always throw me for a double and triple check.

    Same. I'm a little too young to remember Smits in 24.

  37. #25
    Member Daniel33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: PG-13 Official

    My favourit player now has my favourite number!
    It is also my jersey number and how it see it: "Its just bad luck for my opponents!"
    Go PG! Get well soon! Take your time though!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •