Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

Default USMNT (Soccer) Thread

I don't think we have a thread dedicated to USMNT other than specific ones for events so I'll start it off with this amazing news:

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/s...le-fifa-switch

Huge coup for the US, really excited about the core we're starting to get. Hopefully Zelalem, Green, Brooks all get more playing time with their clubs
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: USMNT Thread

I'll wait for him to develop some before I get excited over a 17 year old.

What the heck is USMNT?

No problem with getting excited for Zelalem. The only way the USMNT is going to reach semifinals stages and beyond is to land and develop talent like that. Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey are among my sports heroes, but that level of talent is never going to really take the USMNT to the promised land save some crazy, once-in-a-century lucky run. Unlocking the potential of guys like Zelalem and Green, even if it's 50-50 between bust/success, will.

Say what you want about Klinsmann; I think he *gets* the component of the US soccer program no previous coaches seemed to grasp—talent development. It's not just about what you do with a plucky group of athletes. It's about what you're doing at the youth levels and what kind of paths you're putting your top athletes on.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the heck is USMNT?
    US Men's National Team for Soccer. I changed the title for those not familiar with the terminology.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: USMNT (Soccer) Thread

Honestly I don't think Green will ever be anything. Rubio Rubin is our best U-20 prospect by far IMO, at 18 years old he is a starter in the Eredivisie and has put up 2 goals and 5 assists over there.
    Monta Ellis will be a star for the Blue & Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Honestly I don't think Green will ever be anything. Rubio Rubin is our best U-20 prospect by far IMO, at 18 years old he is a starter in the Eredivisie and has put up 2 goals and 5 assists over there.
    Was just using him as an example, and it's WAY too early to make a declaration on any of these guys. Hell, it's too early to make a declaration on Yedlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Was just using him as an example, and it's WAY too early to make a declaration on any of these guys. Hell, it's too early to make a declaration on Yedlin.
    Yea I agree, just Green's loan stint at Hamburg disappointed me. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Green is still a kid, and he has shown enough for Bayern to be excited about him. Hamburg is a bit of a mess so it may not be his fault. I feel like Green is a little positionless and a lot of it right now is finding where he fits. He's not like Zelalem who has a really clear role and will always play that.

I'd be excited about someone like Zelalem picking the US just because it shows the reputation of the team. Zelalem could easily pan out and be an international star, and he still went with the US over the defending World Cup champions.

Also the U-20 WC team is going to be fire this year. Zelalem, Green, Hyndman, Rubin, Jamieson IV, EPB, Flores.
    Last edited by PacersHomer; 01-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.

In good news for MLS, USMNT players are heading to MLS or considering it. Mix Diskerud is close to signing a deal with New York City FC, and Jozy Altidore is in negotiations for a possible return, though he still has interest in Germany and France.

Very impressed with Zardes today. He and Ibarra (more likely Zardes, but maybe both?) look to pose some interesting questions for USMNT this cycle. I think this squad has a lot more speed than the last. Question is how much that largely inexperienced speed can mesh with veterans like Bradley, Dempsey and Altidore.

Didn't realize Perry Kitchen is from Indy, kinda gotta root for him to do well. Zardes has looked quite good, hope we can continue to see more young talent do well.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Michael Bradley is a stud.

I hope we stick with the 4-2-3-1 and roll with

Howard
    Fabian-Jones-Gonzalez-Garza
    Bradley-Beckerman
    Zardes-Dempsey-Bedoya
    Altidore

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    In good news for MLS, USMNT players are heading to MLS or considering it. Mix Diskerud is close to signing a deal with New York City FC, and Jozy Altidore is in negotiations for a possible return, though he still has interest in Germany and France.
    and in bad news for the USMNT...

would prefer to see our players go to a league that will challenge them a little bit.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    and in bad news for the USMNT...

would prefer to see our players go to a league that will challenge them a little bit.
    Depends on which players.

You'd ideally like to see your future guys (or probable future guys) -- Yedlin, F Johnson, Green, Zardes, Zelalem, etc. -- cutting their teeth in the EPL or CL or Bundesliga or Eresliga, etc.

As far as guys like Bradley, Dempsey, etc? It really doesn't matter too much at this point in their development. Let them just go where they can keep match fitness.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Depends on which players.

You'd ideally like to see your future guys (or probable future guys) -- Yedlin, F Johnson, Green, Zardes, Zelalem, etc. -- cutting their teeth in the EPL or CL or Bundesliga or Eresliga, etc.

As far as guys like Bradley, Dempsey, etc? It really doesn't matter too much at this point in their development. Let them just go where they can keep match fitness.
    Dempsey yes, Id say Bradley can still develop a little bit though.

But all can benefit from facing tougher competition than what the friggin' mls can offer.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

But not if they aren't getting playing time, that's the issue. It's all well and good to play for a good European team, but if you're just sitting on the bench and aren't good enough to get regular minutes it's not really worth it. It's better to be in MLS and get regular playing time to keep match fit.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

By the way, I am expecting Michael Bradley to go back to being the stud he was during this cycle. He is finally fully healthy and he has looked really good in the couple friendlies he has played recently imo.

Bradley plays better with Altidore up top. It should get even better with both of them on the same club team.

New away kits came out today, look pretty good to me.

Altidore just scored a great goal against Denmark. 1-0 early

Altidore has been very good today IMO. Bradley played a great ball into him and Altidore made a key pass to Johannsson who scored in a wide open goal. Jozy probably should of shot but it worked.

Disappointing finish as we entered the 80th minute up 2-1 and lost 3-2. Defense was horrendous.