Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edgerrin James

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Edgerrin James

Love me some Edge. Saw he was at Colts practice this week, mentoring Trent, which is an idea I love.

Anyway, got me thinking.... is Edge a Hall of Famer?

At first thought, I was thinking the homer in me would slide towards yes, but then I went and looked at his career numbers and accomplishments against the best, and dammit if he doesn't stack up with many HOFers. He's in the top 10-15 all-time in many rushing categories. He's top 25 all-time touchdowns. Every one of the lists I was looking at, he was ranked with guys who were all HOFers.

He never won a SB... which to this day is one of my great Colt regrets. I would've loved to see him get one in 2006 with us, even if he earned an honorary SB ring from the Colts. Hated to see him leave and we win it the next year. He's a Colt for life, in my mind.

He was never a long-ball hitter, but his short- and mid-range game was just fantastic. So shifty, ran with purpose and vision and strength.

Anyway, I'm now in the camp that believes this guy should be in the Hall some day. I think he's an all-time great RB.

Here's some memories. Not many people ran like this guy, and then you realize he could block and catch the ball, too... whole package:

Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Edgerrin James

My favorite Colt of all time. He was really special before the ACL tear.

I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning said Edgerrin is both the best and smartest teammate he's ever had.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I loved watching him, but his career was cut short which ultimately keeps him out of the hall of fame I would think.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His stats were there. He obviously was extremely special prior to his ACL tear, but he was still very very good following his tear. If Curtis Martin can be a HOF I don't see why Edge wouldn't be.

Great great Colt with a great back story prior to getting to the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Man I miss those days. I remember his 200 yd game against Seattle like it was yesterday. I could see him getting into the Hall someday, just not sure how many rb's are ahead of him. I was really sad when they let Edge walk, but it was the right decision. Edge truly is one of the best ever to wear the horseshoe.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I loved watching him, but his career was cut short which ultimately keeps him out of the hall of fame I would think.
    He played a decade, which is about what most of the top all time RBs played with a few exceptions.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

How could they leave out the one-handed catch against Washington out of the highlights?!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    He won't get into the HOF because his career dropped off after he left the Colts although he did have that great season with the Cardinals (all the way to an SB appearance) he wasn't the same as he was here.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm

All the guys with + signs are in the HOF.

Most of the great RBs "trailed off" in their careers.. It's one of those positions where the great ones have a 3-5 year run of awesomeness, sandwiched by 5-7 years of "effective" play. It's a short-lived window. The only "iron men" were Emmitt Smith and Marcus Allen. The rest all had careers of a decade or less. Edge's career trajectory wasn't all that different from many of those guys atop the leaderboards. Even with his injury and decrease in level of play, he finished near the top 10 all-time. His pre-injury years were some of the finest seasons put together by a RB. That can't be discounted.

He's got the credentials and stats, he just lacks that SB ring. I still think he could get in.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

In my book he is definitely a HoFer.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 08-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm

All the guys with + signs are in the HOF.

Most of the great RBs "trailed off" in their careers.. It's one of those positions where the great ones have a 3-5 year run of awesomeness, sandwiched by 5-7 years of "effective" play. It's a short-lived window. The only "iron men" were Emmitt Smith and Marcus Allen. The rest all had careers of a decade or less. Edge's career trajectory wasn't all that different from many of those guys atop the leaderboards. Even with his injury and decrease in level of play, he finished near the top 10 all-time. His pre-injury years were some of the finest seasons put together by a RB. That can't be discounted.

He's got the credentials and stats, he just lacks that SB ring. I still think he could get in.
    At best he's borderline if he had stayed with the Colts yes he'd be in the HOF.

Instead he left and was termed "product of the Colts offense" like so many others who left the Colts and then faded to obscurity (except Manning) that will be used against him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He won't be thought of as a product of the Colts offense. If being part of the "greatest show on turf" didn't hurt Marshall Faulk, it won't hurt Edge either. And their numbers are close enough to make a good comparison. Marshall's are better, but he also played one more year and dealt with no significant injuries. The HoF voters have shown they will take those things into consideration so I think Edge's chances are really good of making it.
    Last edited by travmil; 08-11-2014 at 07:54 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

If Curtis Martin is in the HOF, then Edge will make the HOF
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    He won't be thought of as a product of the Colts offense. If being part of the "greatest show on turf" didn't hurt Marshall Faulk, it won't hurt Edge either. And their numbers are close enough to make a good comparison. Marshall's are better, but he also played one more year and dealt with no significant injuries. The HoF voters have shown they will take those things into consideration so I think Edge's chances are really good of making it.
    When Marshall left the Colts he was still relevant and achieved more success that can't be said about Edge is my point.

Had he he spent his entire career here then yes he would be an HOF lock at best he's borderline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    At best he's borderline if he had stayed with the Colts yes he'd be in the HOF.

Instead he left and was termed "product of the Colts offense" like so many others who left the Colts and then faded to obscurity (except Manning) that will be used against him.
    Borderline is not in question, I think that's the very definition of this thread. We wouldn't be having this discussion if he wasn't borderline.

I'm just making a case for why the voters should put him on in.

Edge's ability to hit holes right as they opened was just unmatched during this period of the NFL. Not the most athletically gifted guy, but he hit holes immediately and had a decent first set of acceleration. Plus very good footwork.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He was just the whole package. He had one of the best stiff-arms of all time. We've already talked about his blocking and pass-catching, his running style. There was nothing that he didn't do well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The run at 2:43 is one of my favorites of all time, what a beautiful run:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The run at 2:43 is one of my favorites of all time, what a beautiful run:

Pre-injury Edge had that "lean" in his run. It was close to impossible to get a square shot on him because of the way he ran. It made him seem like he was a finesse runner because he ran so "elegantly", but Edge had good power in his legs as well.

I know I definitely took for granted how GREAT Edge (and our O-Line back then) was when he played. We've been spoiled for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

It's close, but I'd say Edge is a HOFer in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    If Curtis Martin is in the HOF, then Edge will make the HOF
    Curtis Martin is the number 4 all time career yards leader, so I'm not sure what you mean here. The only three backs ahead of him are Smith, Payton, and Sanders. Martin absolutely deserved to be in the HOF.

But to answer the question, Edge should ABSOLUTELY be in the HOF. He is the number 11 all time career rushing leader. The 10 guys ahead of him are the elite of the elite. Some of the backs with less rushing yards than Edge who are in the HOF are: Marcus Allen, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas, John Riggins, The Juice, and Joe Perry.

Edge was a vital part of one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. It's just a damn shame that he couldn't have played here one more year and won that ring. It's also unfortunate that he got hurt in Year 3, which also left him less than 100% during Year 4. He wasn't completely recovered from that injury until Year 5 (2003). I would say that injury cost him about 1000 career rushing yards, which is what separates him at number 11 all time (12,246) from Eric Dickerson who is number 7 all time (13,259). That was a very costly injury, but it was awesome to watch him recover and be such a beast from 03-05. It's a shame that the last game of his golden Colts career was that tragic playoff loss against Pittsburgh. It was downright criminal how little we used him in that game. He was carving Pitt up for 4.31 yards a carry, but he only got 13 rushing attempts because the Steelers successfully baited Peyton into playing hero ball with his arm.

The only backs ranked above Edge on the all time rushing list who aren't in the HOF are Bettis and Tomlinson. Bettis was snubbed last go around, but he'll obviously get in at some point. Tomlinson isn't eligible yet, but he'll certainly get in too. It would be ridiculous for Edge to be the highest ranking non-HOF rusher when you consider all of the guys with less yards who are in. Edge won't be first ballot, but he'll get in at some point.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-11-2014 at 06:39 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

if trent richardson can pickup anything at all from edge, i'd want it to be the ability to get that extra 2-3 yards (sometimes more) after contact.
    as it stands from what i saw last year, trent would drop at the first sign of contact.
    sure, our blocking (both passing and rushing) is poor and definitely needs improvement but i saw other guys like brown do it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    In 2006, Edge's first season in Arizona, he had 1159 yards. In 2007, he had 1222 yards. Those are two pretty good seasons for a running back in his late 20's.

Edge faded away simply because he hit the dreaded 30, not because he left the Colts.

Those Arizona teams weren't that great either (except in 2008) that also lead to him fading away.

Cutis Martin was never the top RB in the league. He was very good for a long time, but nobody will ever put Martin on their list of greatest RB's. James was the best RB in the league for his first 2.5 years, which we may never see again.
    David "And One" West