Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pets

What kind of pets do you have? I have two Shih Tzus.

Last edited by thewholefnshow31; 08-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Pets

I have 2 cats (one crazy as hell), a large leopard gecko, a hermit crab, a ball python hybrid and a Columbian milksnake. We had 2 dogs but they were older and we had to have them put down when they got some serious health problems (cancer and severe arthritis). Have to be really aware when feeding the snakes because the cat that is crazy likes them and will jump in the aquarium and flipped a snake out onto the floor nearly causing the wife to have a heart attack.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

I have 2 cats as well. Brother and sister and they look nothing alike. Wife wants a dog, but I'm not much of an animal lover and she doesn't do a good job of cleaning up after the cats. I know if we got a dog, the responsibility would then fall to me, and I don't want it.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love dogs, but I live in one of those damn pet free apartments. Hard to find a affordable place that lets you keep dogs in this city.

I shared a shih tzu with an ex many years ago but she got it him in the "divorce." Great little dog. My parents have a bichon frise that I consider my dog since we had her before I moved away. She's 12 years old now and another great dog. I like how yours are like "why the hell are you taking our picture?"

I would't mind getting a shih tzu and name him Donnie, since Donnie Walsh kind of looks like a shih tzu haha.
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-14-2014 at 11:32 PM.

My parents have two Golden Retrievers, which were basically mine as I was the one who trained the cagey *******s when they were puppies. Best dogs ever. Now that I live in an apartment where I can have dogs, I have been looking into getting one of my own. Looking at either a Golden or a Brittany. I just bought all new furniture and everything so I figured I better get a puppy to tear it all up.

Here is our new dog Niko, a 5 year old Siberian Huskie - we got him last Christmas from Northern Lights Sled Dog Rescue Group.
    At first he was a handful, a completely different personality from our last Huskie who passed in July '13, Niko has some separation anxiety problems. So when ever we leave to go out we have to "Niko proof" the house or else he will find things to destroy out of boredom or nervousness, too much stored up energy? He has gotten better though. One of those things where both dog and owners have to adapt to each other. But when he is not destroying things he is a wonderful dog. Super smart and strong willed. He is a super athlete, bounding all over the house, barely gets tired from long walks. Infact Niko wont' even eat his food until he has had enough exercise to make him hungry.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Oh and just a PSA for you dog owners, please stop feeding your dog that ****** big box store dog food like Beneful,puppy chow, Alpo, Iams, Purina, etc... Pretty much anything you can get at Target or Walmart or Krogers is crappy dog food. Go to a real pet store like Pet Supplies Plus, Petco or Petsmart and buy your food there. I recommend "Taste of the Wild", as a very affordable grain free Nutritional dog food. You need to look at the ingredients. At least 3 of the first 5 ingredients (listed by weight) need to be an actual animal protein.
    Other good brands are Wellness, Blue Wilderness, Earthborn Holistics, Acana, and Canidae. but none of those are affordable like Taste of the Wild. All of these foods will cost more than the big department store brands. But one thing to know for sure is that your dog will most likely require less overall food than before because the good food as more nutrition value, as opposed to all the grain fillers like corn that are in a crap dog food.

^^Also your dog will fart less.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh and just a PSA for you dog owners, please stop feeding your dog that ****** big box store dog food like Beneful,puppy chow, Alpo, Iams, Purina, etc... Pretty much anything you can get at Target or Walmart or Krogers is crappy dog food. Go to a real pet store like Pet Supplies Plus, Petco or Petsmart and buy your food there. I recommend "Taste of the Wild", as a very affordable grain free Nutritional dog food. You need to look at the ingredients. At least 3 of the first 5 ingredients (listed by weight) need to be an actual animal protein.
    Other good brands are Wellness, Blue Wilderness, Earthborn Holistics, Acana, and Canidae. but none of those are affordable like Taste of the Wild. All of these foods will cost more than the big department store brands. But one thing to know for sure is that your dog will most likely require less overall food than before because the good food as more nutrition value, as opposed to all the grain fillers like corn that are in a crap dog food.
    We use taste of the wild for our Boston Terrier/Beagle Mix, but with our Bulldog we had to try several different brands(and types of food within a brand) before we found something she could digest AND wouldn't cause her skin problems/ear infections. She's not cheap to feed, I'll just put it that way.

Pics coming.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    We use taste of the wild for our Boston Terrier/Beagle Mix, but with our Bulldog we had to try several different brands(and types of food within a brand) before we found something she could digest AND wouldn't cause her skin problems/ear infections. She's not cheap to feed, I'll just put it that way.

Pics coming.
    Sounds like your dog might be allergic to chicken meal? Skin Problems are very common in chicken allergy from what i've read, but i guess that might be common with any food allergy for a pet.

Sounds like your dog might be allergic to chicken meal? Skin Problems are very common in chicken allergy from what i've read, but i guess that might be common with any food allergy for a pet.
    She definitely has a food allergy, but we've been unable to pinpoint it. I think it might be potatoes, because a lot of the good foods we've placed her on that didn't work were salmon and potatoes, venison and potatoes, etc...
    She's been healthiest with foods that use yams instead of potatoes, and whitefish has been the best for her skin. It was an arduous process and we got our vet involved pretty quickly in the whole thing.

I agree 100% We feed our two Blue Buffalo.

Rule of thumb is if the first ingredient listed is not real food, don't buy it. It should be a real protein. Like chicken, fish, deboned beef........ The canned food I feed my one dog has these first few ingredients. Chicken, Chicken broth, peas, egg, carrots, potatoes.

I swear sometimes I think they eat better than I do.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-21-2014 at 01:52 PM.

She definitely has a food allergy, but we've been unable to pinpoint it. I think it might be potatoes, because a lot of the good foods we've placed her on that didn't work were salmon and potatoes, venison and potatoes, etc...
    She's been healthiest with foods that use yams instead of potatoes, and whitefish has been the best for her skin. It was an arduous process and we got our vet involved pretty quickly in the whole thing.
    There are serum tests that you can have run and can help pinpoint the ingredient(s) that they are allergic to. I advise Limited Ingredient Diets for over the counter diets once you know the results. There are other novel protein diets made by other companies that can really help the dogs with chronic ear and skin problems. Generally food allergies start very young. By 1 and 1/2 years typically. With out testing it is a process of elimination and involves some guess work. It could be a protein, carbohydrate or even a fruit for vegetable.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Once an animal is older, say 3-4 years it can be hard to figure out if you have food, flea or enviromental allergies or a combination of all three. It is harder but can be done.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

New pet coming to my house. I won a nice Mojave hybrid ball python on a facebook herpetology site for guessing the correct weight to go along with my cinnamon hybrid ball python (bought from the same place), leopard gecko, hermit crab, 2 cats and Columbian milksnake. We lost our second hermit crab when it escaped and got crushed by the door.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    New pet coming to my house. I won a nice Mojave hybrid ball python on a facebook herpetology site for guessing the correct weight to go along with my cinnamon hybrid ball python (bought from the same place), leopard gecko, hermit crab, 2 cats and Columbian milksnake. We lost our second hermit crab when it escaped and got crushed by the door.
    Your house is the stuff of nightmares for me if you have one snake, let alone a whole gaggle of them. Sorry about your hermit crab though!

I just got a Golden Retriever puppy. He's now 9 weeks old and my god did I underestimate how much work baby dogs are. The little ****.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I just got a Golden Retriever puppy. He's now 9 weeks old and my god did I underestimate how much work baby dogs are. The little ****.

My Golden Retriever is 4 years old and still acts like a puppy lol. I love her so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    My Golden Retriever is 4 years old and still acts like a puppy lol. I love her so much.
    They are such good dogs. Luckily for me, they are relatively easy to train too.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

They are such good dogs. Luckily for me, they are relatively easy to train too.
    Yes, they are super intelligent. The one I grew up with lived to be 14, which is ancient for a Golden. Even as a young dog, she was very laid back. This current one I have is super intelligent like the old one, but is also much more rowdy. Wants to play all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yes, they are super intelligent. The one I grew up with lived to be 14, which is ancient for a Golden. Even as a young dog, she was very laid back. This current one I have is super intelligent like the old one, but is also much more rowdy. Wants to play all the time.
    The thing about goldens is that they are not only incredibly smart, they're very eager to please. That's why they are so easy to train. My Bulldog is incredibly smart, but is almost cat-like in her ability to not give two ***** about what I'm asking of her.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Mood

Here is our new dog Niko, a 5 year old Siberian Huskie - we got him last Christmas from Northern Lights Sled Dog Rescue Group.
    At first he was a handful, a completely different personality from our last Huskie who passed in July '13, Niko has some separation anxiety problems. So when ever we leave to go out we have to "Niko proof" the house or else he will find things to destroy out of boredom or nervousness, too much stored up energy? He has gotten better though. One of those things where both dog and owners have to adapt to each other. But when he is not destroying things he is a wonderful dog. Super smart and strong willed. He is a super athlete, bounding all over the house, barely gets tired from long walks. Infact Niko wont' even eat his food until he has had enough exercise to make him hungry.
    I have a husky as well. I had one as a kid and now I have a two and a half year old husky. Mine does the same thing as yours. They are super energetic and get bored extremely easy. I have to take my dog on a walk every single day or play ball with her for a while. She absolutely has to have some kinda physical activity or she will tear **** up or just pester my other dog. And like yours mine is super athletic. So fast. I love the breed, they are super intelligent and very caring and affectionate but can be independent at times as well. I would be lost without my husky. She's my best friend.

And I agree with the people talking about the dog food. I feed my dogs wellness. And before I knew better I would just buy whatever at walmart or rural king and I can definitely tell that they are much healthier now since being on the better dog food.

I also have a 55 gallon fresh water fish tank as well. Anyone here a fish keeper?

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pics coming.
    WHERE'S THE PICS?!

I've always had Boston Terriers, I love them. Curious what a Boston/Beagle looks like. I love bulldogs too.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just bought all new furniture and everything so I figured I better get a puppy to tear it all up.
    I can't believe you need help destroying your furniture. I kinda figured they didn't survive the second half of the Colts vs Eagles game.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    I can't believe you need help destroying your furniture. I kinda figured they didn't survive the second half of the Colts vs Eagles game.
    New apartment, new furniture. This time I had to pay actual money for it, so I'm a bit more careful about launching **** around. The Colts/Eagles debacle only cost me one blind as I chucked a bottled water at the sliding glass door

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Well Niko has hurt his back last week. He was doing his daily run around the house and jump on everything as fast as I can routine. He jumped off the bed and reared around real quick to jump back up. He let out the most screeching yelp and just shut down immediately. Scared the **** out of my wife and I. For the rest of the night he gave out a yelp every time he got up from laying down, and he didn't sleep at all constantly shifting to easy his pain. But once he was up walking around he was fine. Very hesitant of steps though. Took him to the vet next day and he thinks its a pinched nerve or slipped disk, said very mild soft tissue injury. Gave him some steroids and some muscle relaxers to take over the next month. No running or jumping for the next 4-6 weeks! Its been a whole week now and he appears to bet getting much better. Very hard to keep a Husky from running or jumping. But the muscle relaxers seem to mellow him out for the most part.

Ugh I just hope he fully recovers. I can't imagine him having to live out the rest of his life having back issues. Especially on pain killers, most of them are very hard on their kidney's and other organs.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 10-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.