View Poll Results: Should Pacers Rebuild for 2015?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rebuild trading for picks and young prospects

26 38.81%
  • Stand pat with remaining core and give it one more shot

26 38.81%
  • Retool trading for a couple more vets

9 13.43%
  • Only a Blockbuster trade or signing will help

6 8.96%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers rebuild after Paul George injury?

Default Should the Pacers rebuild after Paul George injury?

What do you guys think? Vote in the poll.

http://inkonindy.com/2014/08/07/pace...george-injury/

Default Re: Should the Pacers rebuild after Paul George injury?

Stand pat, unless there is a deal you can't refuse

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stand pat, unless there is a deal you can't refuse
    I agree with this sentiment, there's no reason to fold up the franchise for a season, see what the Hill's and Hibbert are made of. I think West will always be solid, and the CJ's will be good contributors as well, the only exception is if it falls into the depths of hell close to the trade deadline, do you deal West to a contender? That's about the only scenario for a trade I see, outside of any slam dunk "steal" type of trade.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

When I say retool, I mean acquiring young vets...not draft picks. Move West for a young prospect or solid role player who will get minutes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Rebuild will be the smartest choice. But this is the Pacers who feel they must be in the playoffs every year.

And I'm fine keeping Hibbert and Hill. Both are still relatively young. I think trading West, Scola, Ian, Cope makes sense though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to keep Roy, but I am in favor of trading the older vets for young talent and letting the younger players get experience and grow together.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Where is the choice that say's Pacers should start to rebuild even if Paul George was never injured and Lance Stephenson had signed with the team?

The ceiling has been hit with this particular group and sorry but with both Lance & Paul gone this is going to be akin to a one oared row boat, we will just be spinning in circles.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Where is the choice that say's Pacers should start to rebuild even if Paul George was never injured and Lance Stephenson had signed with the team?

The ceiling has been hit with this particular group and sorry but with both Lance & Paul gone this is going to be akin to a one oared row boat, we will just be spinning in circles.
    This. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get an elite or above average pg and the team is fine.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

My guess is the team right now is more or less "the team" for at least next season. Depending on PG's recovery and how the team (and certain guys) perform will dictate what we do going forward. I am not in any way an advocate of a complete teardown, because that won't be doing PG any favors when he does return to the court. A 25 year old coming off a major injury won't want to jump into a rebuilding situation. The team has to stay competitive and has to keep their options open and be creative/aggressive with making moves that complement PG's game.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm all on board for blowing this team up around Paul George. I'm not satisfied with simply being "competitive" and making the playoffs every year, while having no real shot at winning a NBA title in the process. I don't know how you get better with an aging David West and a mentally disturbed man baby in Roy Hibbert.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IAmHoosier For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there are a few important considerations before just hastily concluding that the team should be blown apart and renewed. Any rebuilding around Paul George is obviously based on George coming back and becoming an even better player than he was prior to his injury. It has been reported that he suffered a "clean" break and that a full recovery should be possible and expected, and that we should expect him back for the 2015-2016 season. But, that is not a certainty, and if it does happen, how long will it take George to be 100% recovered and some degree of improved performance made over his prior form?

I ask this not because I don't believe he will not eventually achieve it, but because the player we have seen thus far is not capable of carrying a team on his own. You get rid of some combination of Hibbert, West and/or GHill and we could very well find ourselves with Paul George trying to carry a team while surrounded by players of lesser talent than we have now. Should we get into that situation, we will find ourselves an even less favorable stopping point for free agents than we are perceived to be right now.

Without the touches taken by Lance and George, Vogel and the Pacers will be forced to find ways to better use the other players. They will have to find ways to successfully deliver the ball to Hibbert in the post. They will have to devise schemes that enable Hibbert AND West to share opportunities in the post. George Hill will have to consistently play aggressively and be more efficient in distributing the ball. Various wing players and West will have to become far more proficient at executing PnP/PnR. Carryover players like SHill, CJ Watson, Copeland and Allen will be given greater opportunity and utilized more. While all this is going on, new players like Stuckey, Miles and Rudez will be worked into the flow and expected to contribute on a consistent basis.

These are the things that the Pacers will attempt to do offensively. Will they accomplish each thing successfully? Of course not. But after a year without Lance and Paul George, I would expect a number of our players to grow into better offensive players than they have ever been before. Those that do will be ready and better able to take pressure off of Paul George in the 2015-2016 season. Should we not be able to get improvement from players, particularly GHill and Hibbert, then the direction we should take by the trading deadline will have become much more apparent.

But right now, we have an opportunity to better develop even our "core" players, why not take advantage and see where it leads us?
    Last edited by beast23; 08-08-2014 at 01:18 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Keep the group as it is, wait until February, see what the trade deadline brings. Contenders could need some vets like Hill and West. Hibbert, I would probably keep.
    As sad as it is, last year was the year. With the way the division has developed, I don't think we'd have a chance with this group in the next years.
    Thank you Jeff.

The Pacers should be doing what the Cavs are doing now that they have Lebron. Pacers need to do everything they can for the next 14 months to be as good as they can be when PG returns. So no, to trading for draft picks. After PG comes back he will have about a 5 or 6 year window where we need to go for it. Assuming PG comes back 100% healthy, it might be 20 years before we have a player as good as PG. I don't care how many we win this upcoming season, it is all about being ready to go a year from now

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I voted to stand pat but if we have a player who likely won't be here in 15-16 like Scola it might be best to make a move. Scola's unique contract might make him valuable to a team trying to reduce payroll before the trade deadline since he can be waived for a 3+ mil savings but we'd have to be taking back a player that we wanted for the long term or a player on an expiring deal. I'd like to stick with West unless a no brainer deal came, the only way we should trade West would be if it were for a player that we thought could make us better and would have a longer window to contend for a championship. I can't see any team trading a player like that for West. For the most part we just need to take advantage of the opportunity to improve our other core players for the day PG returns.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I'm confused with so many people saying that we should stand pat.

No team should ever stand pat unless you are contenders. We are not contenders anymore.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Wasn't there a thread about " Has the Pacers window shut for a championship", which was after the Lance loss and before the Paul loss. Well the window slammed shut with a half dozen nails in it and those nails need removed.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I'm confused with so many people saying that we should stand pat.

No team should ever stand pat unless you are contenders. We are not contenders anymore.
    Only because of a freak injury. If Paul was healthy we would be contenders. It is idiotic to blow up a good and relatively young team just because their best player is going to be out for a season. The Bulls didn't blow it up as soon as Rose was injured, or after MJ retired. Simply you do not blow up teams that can be a championship contender for 4 or 5 years just because of a freak injury that the player should be able to make a full recovery from. This isn't a team of old veterans trying to win one last ring before they retire. This is a group in their prime.

Simply put, you do not make any moves that you would not make if Paul was healthy. From a player personnel stand point Bird should view things as if Paul George is 100% healthy.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Because we can reasonably expect Paul will return from this injury at par with his previous form (it isn't soft tissue or elastic structure that can give pain even after healed, breaks tend not to be something that gets re-injured) - not saying it's impossible to have a setback, just that it is very unlikely - this still all boils down to how you feel about the team with Lance gone. No rebuild or miracle move is going to get the 2014-2015 season to last year's level.

IF we go completely with prospects and draft picks, we're trashing the 3 years beyond the 2014-2015 season as well. You have to add not just the development time but also a season or so for the developed players (who are now playing differently than they did WHILE they were developing) to work together. By then PG is out of here.

I say that you try to bring in guys that will help develop your current young players - guys who can play hard on the floor to continue a winning tradition, guys with skills at the appropriate positions to show the current young guys what to do - and at most move some of your vet bench guys for younger bench guys. Then, when Paul comes back, you promote the appropriate players to starters alongside him and go from there.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Because we can reasonably expect Paul will return from this injury at par with his previous form (it isn't soft tissue or elastic structure that can give pain even after healed, breaks tend not to be something that gets re-injured) - not saying it's impossible to have a setback, just that it is very unlikely - this still all boils down to how you feel about the team with Lance gone. No rebuild or miracle move is going to get the 2014-2015 season to last year's level.

IF we go completely with prospects and draft picks, we're trashing the 3 years beyond the 2014-2015 season as well. You have to add not just the development time but also a season or so for the developed players (who are now playing differently than they did WHILE they were developing) to work together. By then PG is out of here.

I say that you try to bring in guys that will help develop your current young players - guys who can play hard on the floor to continue a winning tradition, guys with skills at the appropriate positions to show the current young guys what to do - and at most move some of your vet bench guys for younger bench guys. Then, when Paul comes back, you promote the appropriate players to starters alongside him and go from there.

My idea is we wait till next Summer and maybe at the deadline start moving pieces to clear cap space. Most of our bench expires next Summer. And moving West and maybe Ian at the deadline, then moving Hill's final year next Summer opens up enough space to get Rondo, Reggie Jackson, or Dragic. Also should look into a replacement for West who will be approaching 35 by then. After he's moved, we should pursue the Morris twins. You put Markieff or Marcus Morris in the starting lineup with PG, Roy, and a Rondo, Dragic, or Jackson and we're contenders. Miles at starting 2 guard would be the question mark. And that all depends on how he plays this season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    My idea is we wait till next Summer and maybe at the deadline start moving pieces to clear cap space. Most of our bench expires next Summer. And moving West and maybe Ian at the deadline, then moving Hill's final year next Summer opens up enough space to get Rondo, Reggie Jackson, or Dragic. Also should look into a replacement for West who will be approaching 35 by then. After he's moved, we should pursue the Morris twins. You put Markieff or Marcus Morris in the starting lineup with PG, Roy, and a Rondo, Dragic, or Jackson and we're contenders. Miles at starting 2 guard would be the question mark. And that all depends on how he plays this season.
    I like the Morris twins, but you have to remember a few things. First, when they played on separate teams neither brother was this effective. Second, unless we drastically change our style of play would they be a great fit? As long as we try to be "smash mouth" I am not sure either are optimal pieces for us.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

We need to retool but not for this coming season. 2014-2015 is lost. Paul will be physically healed for 2015-2016 but I wouldn't expect him to be anywhere close to his old self until the 2016-2017 season. We need to make moves to give us the best chance then.

Realistically, we had some bad luck in that our peak also coincided with the best player in a generation, maybe any generation, being in our conference. It's going to be tough to unseat him any time but 2017 is our best chance. And it will take some retooling, probably major retooling, to get there.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I'm not a big fan of rebuilding for the simple fact that rebuilding takes a LONG time to do. (3-5 years is a long time in NBA years) If you trade for a bunch of draft picks, you have to wait for those guys to develop. Once they develop you have to wait for them to gain playoff experience. All of that takes time.

As long as he remains on schedule, Paul George is going to be out ONE year. Just one. If he has to play with a bunch of young rookies without much experience, it's only going to make his job TOUGHER, not easier. After spending years of building towards a winning culture, I don't see why people are so willing to tear things down so quickly. If the Murphleavy years taught us anything, it can be HARD to get back to winning consistently. It takes a lot of things to fall into place, and I'm not sure I want to play around with PG's prime - especially after this devastating injury.

With all of that said, trading one of our vets for a younger - developing type of player isn't a bad idea. But the deal would have to be for the right type of player. If we can't find a deal that lands us a player that would fit into the core for the future, then we simply wait for Roy and D.West to expire and we dabble into FA again. But to trade away our pieces (and eventual expiring contracts) for draft picks in what isn't considered a "superstar" type of draft right now, is kind of silly to me.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Pretty sure I posted it in the big PG injury thread, but I think a lot of you guys are overlooking how big PG coming back to a new roster would be. I'm not talking about just on the floor, I'm talking about guys that have been with him for years, some of them his whole career, getting shipped off in the middle of his rehab.

The dude literally broke his leg in half, AND you want him to come back and play with a bunch of new guys, some of them guys in the rookie deal stage of their careers figuring out how to play pro ball? You guys think PG's Superman?

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

How does the "blow it up for draft picks" crowd miss the super obvious angle that PG is not going to want to play for a rebuilding team? It's a kiss your young superstar goodbye and welcome to 5-7 years of ping pong balls and depression. Does nobody remember what 07-11 was like? You want to watch THAT team again?

Rebuilding is only a last resort, it would be madness to break up a team that just won the number 1 seed a year ago so prematurely.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post: