Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Oden arrested, accused of punching ex-girlfriend via Fox59 Indianapolis

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Greg Oden arrested, accused of punching ex-girlfriend via Fox59 Indianapolis

Via Fox59 Indianapolis:

http://fox59.com/2014/08/07/former-p...-with-battery/

LAWRENCE (Aug. 7, 2014) – Former Lawrence North basketball star and NBA player Greg Oden was arrested Thursday morning in a battery case.

He’s accused of punching his ex-girlfriend.

According to the Lawrence Police Department, officers were dispatched to a disturbance in the 7200 block of Maple Bluff Place around 3:30 a.m. Thursday.

When they arrived, they found a woman lying down with blood on her face. They encountered a witness who was yelling and crying. The witness identified herself as the victim’s best friend.

“He punched her in the face, my hand hurts and I just want to go home,” the woman told police, according to the incident report.

The officer noticed “blood, swelling to the nose, lacerations to the forehead and nose area” of the victim’s face. Police also saw blood on the sofa and floor. A flower pot was also knocked over during the disturbance.

The victim refused medical treatment, and told police “she fell but was unable to advise when and where.” Police described her as uncooperative in the report.

A relative of Oden said the argument between the basketball player and the victim woke her up. The relative told police, “Every time the two visit and go out, there is an argument to follow.”

“Things got out of control and I started to go after the victim,” police quoted Oden in the report. He said the relative and witness tried to hold him back, but he swung his arms trying to break free and punched the victim.

“I was wrong and I know what has to happen,” Oden told officers. He said he and the woman had dated for approximately two years and broke up about two months ago.

Police described Oden as “calm, apologetic and cooperative” and said he told them he took “full responsibility” for his actions.

Oden was taken into custody and transported to the APC.

Oden was a basketball star at Lawrence North High School and played a year of college basketball at Ohio State University. The Portland Trailblazers selected him No. 1 overall in the 2007 NBA Draft, but injuries derailed his pro career. He most recently played for the Miami Heat.
    Last edited by Stryder; 08-07-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Nerd.
    Mood

Default Re: Greg Oden arrested, accused of punching ex-girlfriend via Fox59 Indianapolis

Via WISHTV Indianapolis:

http://wishtv.com/2014/08/07/miami-h...d-in-lawrence/

LAWRENCE, Ind. (WISH) — Miami Heat player Greg Oden was arrested in Lawrence early Thursday morning, according to a police report.

According to the report, officers responded to a disturbance in the 7200 block of Maple Bluff Place around 3:30 a.m. An officer on scene was talking with a man, identified as 26-year-old Gregory Oden.

When police arrived they spoke with a female victim who was laying on a sofa with blood on her face. Police also spoke with a witness identified as the victim’s friend. She said, “he punched her in the face, my hand hurts and I just want to go home.”

Medical personnel arrived but the victim refused treatment, the report said. She told police that she fell but was unable to provide further details and was uncooperative, police said.

A relative to Oden told police she woke up to hear Oden and the victim arguing, saying every time the two visit and go out there is an argument that follows.

Oden said, “things got out of control and I started to go after the victim. My relative and witness tried to hold me back, but as I swung my arms to move them out of the way, then punched the victim in the face.”

He went on to say, “I was wrong and I know what has to happen.”

Oden told police he and the victim had dated for two years but recently broke up. Police said he was cooperative at the scene.

Oden was transported to the Arrestee Processing Center and preliminarily charged with battery. He was later booked into the Marion County Jail.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Greg Oden arrested, accused of punching ex-girlfriend via Fox59 Indianapolis

He has a girlfriend...

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

A 7' dude thinks he has to punch a woman in the face? What a total loser.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Wonder what Steven A. is thinking right now ??????????????

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

At least he admitted it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

that guy. I hope and expect that he'll never play in the NBA again.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder what Steven A. is thinking right now ??????????????
    Wass dat biotch provokin dat bro for...

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like he was yanking his arms away from one person and whacked her in the nose. Make of it what you will, but he is not denying anything nor is he trying to act like he is not to blame.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Sounds like he was yanking his arms away from one person and whacked her in the nose. Make of it what you will, but he is not denying anything nor is he trying to act like he is not to blame.
    He's saying that's what happened. He's still in a bad spot, and it very well could have been what happened. It could also be a very convienent excuse trying to glaze something else over. We'll never know.

The eyewitness (admittedly, the best friend of the victim) said "He punched her in the face".

Not "whacked" but "punched", causing damage to her nose AND forehead, swelling, and lots of blood.

I am not inclined to automatically give him the benefit of a doubt, frankly.

The battered person can make stuff up, but it's about 1% of the time. The other 99%, what she says happened pretty much happened.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I haven't trusted this guy since he went to the Justin Bieber concert last year.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    A 7' dude thinks he has to punch a woman in the face? What a total loser.
    This.

No matter how ugly the argument goes, it's never alright to punch a woman. Or even treat 'em bad in the first place.
    "I'd rather man up and beat your so called "great" *** than join up with you."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Oz For This Useful Post:

Where are you getting that? He admits to "going after the victim and "punched the victim in the face."

Oden said, “things got out of control and I started to go after the victim. My relative and witness tried to hold me back, but as I swung my arms to move them out of the way, then punched the victim in the face.”
    And the end of your comment sounds like we need to give Oden credit for something. Owning up to being morally bankrupt doesn't mean a thing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Wow. I honestly thought Oden was better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    This.

No matter how ugly the argument goes, it's never alright to punch a woman. Or even treat 'em bad in the first place.
    Not to go all SAS here or anything, but there are some mean, abusive women out there.

It's still not okay to punch them in the face though, even if some sort of physical restraint is necessary.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It's still not okay to punch them in the face though, even if some sort of physical restraint is necessary.
    It's OK to think about it. You just

can't

do

it.

You can't even let anyone know you're thinking about it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He also admits he was trying to go after her and was being held back....which puts him firmly in the wrong.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

This world is going to hell and a large amount of guys are starting to believe that it is okay to hit women ( I am not saying this just because of the two recent nationwide events, but also locally.) It's ****ing ridiculous man, they can't defend themselves against most men, let alone a 7 ft behemoth. I was raised around 5 girls and two women and never once did the thought come to my mind to physically harm them.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

28. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

I only think its acceptable to hit someone if you are defending yourself from being attacked.

Beyond that I was shocked when I saw it on the local news this morning only because I never heard something like this about him before.

Considering he's unemployed a team doesn't have to deal with this like the Ravens do with Ray Rice(unless they sign him) so there won't be that issue.

It's not acceptable to punch someone half your size that poses no immediate threat to you. Disproportionate force.

It's why in most cases the husband gets arrested for beating his wife regardless of who hit who first.

Again, pro fighters aren't even allowed to punch grown men of the same size or bigger in a fight. It's because their fists are considered too lethal to dish out proportionate force in a physical altercation.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-07-2014 at 02:21 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

disappointing to hear. until this, i'd never heard a bad thing about the guy. while anyone can get angry about someone or something, i've never hit or struck a woman and would never do so unless i truly felt i was in serious danger like she's coming at me with a knife or something and was serious about using it against me.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    that guy. I hope and expect that he'll never play in the NBA again.
    i hear ya. and i suspect no team was going to bother with him anyway. but now, it looks even less likely.

Hitting people, regardless of what gender they or you are, is bad.

WANNA ARGUE ABOUT THAT?!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

WANNA ARGUE ABOUT THAT?!
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 08-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.