Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you really think Rudez will be a factor

Default Do you really think Rudez will be a factor

Am I missing something he is not even one of the top guys in his league. He hasn't averages more than 2 rebounds a game and he is 6'10". Someone please enlighten me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do you really think Rudez will be a factor

The scouting report I heard was that he was a terrific shooter but that's all he does. No rebounding, no defense, no passing. I don't know if the problem is lack of effort or lack of skill.

He is a dead-eye shooter, we don't need him to do anything else. He can handle the ball decently I believe as well, he could be a good match-up problem at the 4 if we can add some weight to him.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we signed him to be a pretty face on the bench. There has to be some thought among upper management that he can help, so I will say yes he will be some type of factor for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

European players very rarely work out in the NBA.

I know someone is going to come in here and start listing the exceptions instead of the rules, but the chances of him really making a mark as an NBA player are pretty slim.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Think we just needed to get our Euro guy on the team to represent. JMO

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

What I do like is the Pacers went out and acquired shooters in Damjan Rudez and C.J. Miles, we needed more shooting.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I know someone is going to come in here and start listing the exceptions instead of the rules, but the chances of him really making a mark as an NBA player are pretty slim.
    I don't think there is any evidence that supports your claim. No one is expecting the guy to be a superstar. I think we will be happy if he just gives us decent minutes and knocks down a few threes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure there's a statistic that would show that most all drafted euro guys never make it to the NBA, but guess what, that happens just as much with US players. I don't count Scola because he already had made an impact in the NBA, but the last guy I can remember as a European player that came over to the Pacers was Cabs, and yes he was a royal failure. The hype around him was 100x more than Rudez as well as he had helped beat the US in the Olympics and was meant to be a team leader but that totally backfired. Rudez I think was meant to be a deadeye shooter when called upon that could be worked on, but now has much more of a chance to be an early contributor and that may not be a good thing.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

I hope so because without PG we're gonna have to shoot the heck out of the ball to stay afloat.

Besides the Spurs? I want to see how he plays with PG in the fold before passing judgement. Him being Kover would be nice.

Rudez is here to do two things, A) be a dead-eye shooter, and B) don't be awful defensively, he has proven he can shoot, its the second thing im worried about.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Rudez is here to do two things, A) be a dead-eye shooter, and B) don't be awful defensively, he has proven he can shoot, its the second thing im worried about.
    I have fewer requirements for him.....he's just here to hit the 3pt shot.

He is a PURE 3pt Shooting Role Player.....I hope that he will at least try on the defensive end....but I expect that he will be a defensive liability.

But let's be fair here.....3pt shooting Role Players are often defensive liabilities.

Given that the Pacers apparently are looking at adding some Wing Depth....I do not expect him to see any minutes.

As I said before.....if we don't dump Scola and Sloan for an upgrade in the rotation....I'd rather not go after another Wing Player and just roll with what we have now while giving Solo as many minutes as he can handle and Rudez as many minutes where he won't be a complete defensive liability.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-06-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Besides the Spurs? I want to see how he plays with PG in the fold before passing judgement. Him being Kover would be nice.
    Him being a combination of Korver and Peja would be nice. Maybe some Kukoc as well.

I'd be shocked if plays, ever. Who's he guard. He seems like a poor mans Copeland, who couldn't get run.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Vogel won't play him. If he didn't play Cope with NBA experience, he won't play Rudez.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Vogel won't play him. If he didn't play Cope with NBA experience, he won't play Rudez.

I am not a fan of Vogel but I think Vogel if he doesn't wise up with personnel and getting a new offensive scheme/system, would be a candidate for being fired or not re-signed as coach in Summer of 2016. He will get a pass this season because of PG's injury. If he gets this team to the playoffs without PG that alone will be enough to keep him employed next Summer. But depending on the talent added next Summer, and PG returning.... if he doesn't "figure it out" in the 2015-2016 season, he'll be fired. If his contract concludes at that time, then definitely not re-signed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I am not a fan of Vogel but I think Vogel if he doesn't wise up with personnel and getting a new offensive scheme/system, would be a candidate for being fired or not re-signed as coach in Summer of 2016. He will get a pass this season because of PG's injury. If he gets this team to the playoffs without PG that alone will be enough to keep him employed next Summer. But depending on the talent added next Summer, and PG returning.... if he doesn't "figure it out" in the 2015-2016 season, he'll be fired. If his contract concludes at that time, then definitely not re-signed.
    Prepared to be surprised.

Last season, the offense was far more Wing-Centric last season where it was built around PG24/Lance/GH and less around West/Hibbert. With PG24 and Lance gone......Vogel has no choice but to devise a new offensive scheme built around GH/West/Hibbert.

As you suggest ( and is something that you have been stressing for the longest time ), the question is whether Vogel is able to properly adapt to the new roster that he has and whether he will play to their strengths or not. I think that he is smart enough to do so....but I have no idea whether he would actually do that or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

It really irks me when people make statements as if they are the one's in charge of personnel decisions. It's one thing to say "I believe Frank should be fired" or "I believe Frank will not be re-signed", but to say something definitive you should probably have some legitimate evidence to back that claim.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    It really irks me when people make statements as if they are the one's in charge of personnel decisions. It's one thing to say "I believe Frank should be fired" or "I believe Frank will not be re-signed", but to say something definitive you should probably have some legitimate evidence to back that claim.

Vogel I think was close to being fired this Summer. But the front office was trying to re-sign Lance. Didn't want so much on their plate in one off-season. But I think if Lance was locked in for another 2 years? And everyone was returning next season, they probably would've fired Frank. Coaching searches take time. Most happen in quiet Summer's, or when teams really HAVE TO FIND A NEW COACH. Like the Lakers. But I think the players on Indy weren't as vocal against Frank as they were O'Brien. Ultimately, that's probably why he stayed as well. But one day, if we ever do get an elite point guard, and Frank still can't figure how to use him and everyone else, then yes I think the FO goes in a new direction.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Vogel I think was close to being fired this Summer. But the front office was trying to re-sign Lance. Didn't want so much on their plate in one off-season. But I think if Lance was locked in for another 2 years? And everyone was returning next season, they probably would've fired Frank. Coaching searches take time. Most happen in quiet Summer's, or when teams really HAVE TO FIND A NEW COACH. Like the Lakers. But I think the players on Indy weren't as vocal against Frank as they were O'Brien. Ultimately, that's probably why he stayed as well. But one day, if we ever do get an elite point guard, and Frank still can't figure how to use him and everyone else, then yes I think the FO goes in a new direction.
    That I can totally agree with.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'd be shocked if plays, ever. Who's he guard. He seems like a poor mans Copeland, who couldn't get run.
    So I guess the question is, why do they keep signing these guys?

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

We signed the European Steve Novac nothing more.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't think there is any evidence that supports your claim. No one is expecting the guy to be a superstar. I think we will be happy if he just gives us decent minutes and knocks down a few threes.
    No evidence?

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Yes, I spelled Shirley like that on purpose.

I'd settle for him to just pop a bunch of 3s in Mike Scott's face and ride a pony down the court each time. If he does that, I can live with defensive suckitude.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca