Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you rank Andrew Luck among other QB's in the NFL

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Where would you rank Andrew Luck among other QB's in the NFL

After discussing where a guy like Andy Dalton ranks among QB's in the NFL, I though it'd be interesting to see where most posters would rank the Colts own Andrew Luck going into his 3rd season. Obviously you have your top 4 QB's in the league (Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Brees) but things get really subjective after that. One could realistically argue that Luck is a top 5 QB in the league.

So - where would you rank Andrew Luck among other QB's in the NFL?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

Default Re: Where would you rank Andrew Luck among other QB's in the NFL

5th no doubt in my mind. Maybe he doesn't have as good stats as others that could be 5th, but I doubt if you put any other QB other than the top 4 and Luck on the Colts the past two seasons that they go anywhere close to 22-10. Luck knows how to win and that is what I want on my team.

I'm biased, but I think he is the 5th best right now. No one has done more with less over the last two seasons. When you look at what he's done and the quarterbacks/teams that he's beaten head to head, it's downright remarkable.

Sky is the limit.

5th. In that 2nd tier behind Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees and with Rivers/Wilson/Newton/Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    5th. In that 2nd tier behind Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Brees and with Rivers/Wilson/Newton/Romo.
    The grading of the second and third tiers is an interesting debate for me. Guys like the ones you mentioned plus guys like Eli, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler are all kind of jumbled up in the middle.

I'd put it as:

Tier 1: Manning/Rodgers/Brees/Brady

Tier 2: Ben/Luck/Romo/Rivers/Wilson/Cutler/Ryan/Newton

Tier 3: Kaepernick/Smith/Griffin/Foles/Stafford/Eli

Tier 4: Flacco/Dalton/Palmer

Those are the top 21 in my estimation. The biggest difference is still beween Tier 1 and the other tiers. Luck has by far the best chance of anybody below Tier 1 to move up into it, and I think he has a decent chance of getting there this year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1a) Manning
    1b) Brady
    3) Rodgers
    4) Brees
    5) Luck

When all is said and done, however, I wouldn't be surprised to see Luck be at the top of the list.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think 5th is about right. The Colts offensive line is maybe the biggest factor in Luck taking the next step. Out of the other top qb's, the Colts have the worst line. Luck has more weapons around him than ever now, so I really think we'll see him separate himself from the Rivers/Romo/Stafford/Ben R./Ryan/Cutler group. I think Luck is a much better qb than Russell Wilson, but Wilson has the better team and he's the perfect game manager. Andy Dalton is not even in my top 15.

In the 5-7 range, after the obvious 4 and close with Ben, River, Ryan but maybe a tick above them.

Fun fact that may only interest me: If the Patriots were to lose the next 104 games in a row and Tom Brady started at QB in all of them, they would still be over 0.500 in games in which Brady was the starting QB.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The grading of the second and third tiers is an interesting debate for me. Guys like the ones you mentioned plus guys like Eli, Matt Ryan, Big Ben, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler are all kind of jumbled up in the middle.
    I would put Eli 4th tier after his incredibly horrific season last year and Roethlisberger, Ryan, Stafford, Kaepernick, and Cutler in the 3rd tier. Those are guys you could win a Super Bowl with next year, but they'll need a lot of help. 2nd tier is guys who aren't Hall of Fame bound right now but can be stars on a Super Bowl team. 1st tier is the future Hall of Famers who can carry a team to a Super Bowl. Anyone below 3rd tier won't win a Super Bowl without a generational defense/offensive line & running game.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Fun fact that may only interest me: If the Patriots were to lose the next 104 games in a row ........
    I'm all for that.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Andrew Luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

I think a lot of you guys are really overrating current Brady. He's still really good to be sure but putting him anywhere near even Rodgers is kinda nuts to me. He's not the immense force he used to be. He's not close to Peyton anymore honestly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Right now, at every QB's respective point in their career, it's Manning #1, and then Brees, and then three guys all grouped at #3...

Brady
    Rodgers
    Luck

That said, if you're asking me if Year 3 Luck compares with 2011 Tom Brady, of course Tom Brady is the guy. If you're asking me if Year 3 Luck compares with 2011 Aaron Rodgers, of course I'd go with Rodgers.

But I can't sit here and say that Brady and Rodgers have outperformed Luck in the last two years. Even if the stats say otherwise, once you put everything into context with their respective situations and context.... what Luck has done in the past 2 years and the level of play he's currently at is extremely impressive.

Manning is playing ridiculous ball, and Brees is right there with him. Those two guys, imo, are the top 2.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-06-2014 at 11:22 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Right now, at every QB's respective point in their career, it's Manning #1, and then Brees, and then three guys all grouped at #3...

Brady
    Rodgers
    Luck

That said, if you're asking me if Year 3 Luck compares with 2011 Tom Brady, of course Tom Brady is the guy. If you're asking me if Year 3 Luck compares with 2011 Aaron Rodgers, of course I'd go with Rodgers.

But I can't sit here and say that Brady and Rodgers have outperformed Luck in the last two years. Even if the stats say otherwise, once you put everything into context with their respective situations and context.... what Luck has done in the past 2 years and the level of play he's currently at is extremely impressive.

Rodgers was hurt last year, so his 2013 season obviously wasn't too impressive. Brady had a phenomenal season when you factor in that his best healthy receiver was Julian Edelman.

Luck still has another tier to climb before he can be grouped with these two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think a lot of you guys are really overrating current Brady. He's still really good to be sure but putting him anywhere near even Rodgers is kinda nuts to me. He's not the immense force he used to be. He's not close to Peyton anymore honestly.
    Brady was an absolute beast statistically from 2010-12. Yeah he didn't have a great year statistically last season, but his receivers were junk for the most part. He lost Welker to Denver, Gronk to injury, and Aaronthol Hernandez to murder charges.....yet he still made the AFC Title game. He has been to three straight of those.

You give Brady the receiving arsenal that Peyton had last year and I guarantee you he also would have put up freak show stats. If Gronk is healthy again, then Brady will get back to his gaudy stats. Brady still has tremendous arm strength.

What has Rodgers done since the Super Bowl win? Great regular season stats, but three straight years of extremely disappointing playoff exits.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-06-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Rodgers was hurt last year, so his 2013 season obviously wasn't too impressive. Brady had a phenomenal season when you factor in that his best healthy receiver was Julian Edelman.

Luck still has another tier to climb before he can be grouped with these two guys.
    Lucks receivers weren't much better. I got to draw a line at the excuses.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

I see him as a top 10 that could improve that to a top 5 status with the talent around him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Lucks receivers weren't much better. I got to draw a line at the excuses.

I agree, but Brady won the playoff match-up and has one of the most impressive resume's in NFL history. One statistical down year with a crappy receiving core (that still ended in a 12-4 record and AFC Title game appearance) does not knock him off his pedestal. Luck is not on Brady's level yet, and I say that as a major Luck homer.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If we accept Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Brady as the unquestioned top 4 (I don't), then Luck is 5th in my mind.

I'll be really interested to see what he does this year. By far the most tlaent he has ever had around him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Also, if we're dividing this into tiers, then IMO Luck is in a second tier by himself.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think we are going to see Rodgers climb back towards the top and solidify himself as one of the top 1-2 QB's in the league. He got hurt last year, but still was putting up impressive numbers (66% completion percentage, 8.75 YPA). Everytime I see him play, he impresses me with his ability to throw on the run, throw it deep, etc.

Regarding Luck, I wonder if we'll ever see him put up the guady passing numbers. He strikes me as more of a better version of a prime Big Ben. A QB that puts up okay numbers, but just wins football games. Which is what you want from your QB at the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think we are going to see Rodgers climb back towards the top and solidify himself as one of the top 1-2 QB's in the league. He got hurt last year, but still was putting up impressive numbers (66% completion percentage, 8.75 YPA). Everytime I see him play, he impresses me with his ability to throw on the run, throw it deep, etc.

Regarding Luck, I wonder if we'll ever see him put up the guady passing numbers. He strikes me as more of a better version of a prime Big Ben. A QB that puts up okay numbers, but just wins football games. Which is what you want from your QB at the end of the day
    I think Luck will put up great numbers if he has healthy weapons and a smart offensive coordinator.

2012: Rookie year and was thrown to the wolves immediately. Higher passer rating than Peyton had in his rookie year.

2013: Passer rating improved by 10.5. The 23 touchdowns were very impressive when you consider how guys dropped like flies around him on offense.

I don't think that Luck will ever put up gaudy Peyton-like numbers, but his stats still have a ton of room to get better - certainly much much much better than Big Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think Luck will put up great numbers if he has healthy weapons and a smart offensive coordinator.

2012: Rookie year and was thrown to the wolves immediately. Higher passer rating than Peyton had in his rookie year.

2013: Passer rating improved by 10.5. The 23 touchdowns were very impressive when you consider how guys dropped like flies around him on offense.

I don't think that Luck will ever put up gaudy Peyton-like numbers, but his stats still have a ton of room to get better - certainly much much much better than Big Ben.
    Lol well he's already putting up numbers better than Big Ben. I was utilizing that comparison as someone who "just wins" without putting up the crazy Peyton/Brees like numbers. I really can't think of too many other recent QB's that Luck reminds me of. He's not overly analytical like Peyton, or poised and polished like Brady. He's much bigger than a Rodgers, and is probably the 3rd or 4th most athletic QB in the league right now. Big Ben is the only guy I can think of that has that size, ability to extend the play, and ability to find a way to win games.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

In terms of winning games, and not looking at stats, Luck is just as good as any other QB in the NFL. Just like Peyton Manning, your team wins a minimum of 10 games with Andrew Luck as your QB
    David "And One" West