Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank them: Charlotte, Indiana, Miami

Default Re: Rank them: Charlotte, Indiana, Miami

I'm not really sure what to expect from Miami this season. On paper they got the names, but who knows how well Wade will hold up.

Anyways

Miami, Indiana, Charlotte

I don't understand why Paul is the only player who isn't beholden to his second half of the season on this team. We have 5 players who all played significantly worse the second half of last season than the first. For some reason Paul and Lance get a pass, but Roy, West, and Hill well that is just who they are now. Even though those three players have longer histories of playing much better basketball than the two players who got a pass. Come on people, God gave you a brain for a reason use it.

P.S. Paul George wasn't on the same level as Lebron or Durant last season.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. Heat
    2. Hornets

(Asteroid belt, like what is between Mars and Jupiter)

3. Pacers
    You really think we will be that bad? Or do you think the Bobcats and Heat will be pretty good?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    While they are not Golden State, they do have Gary Neal who is a career 40% 3 pt shooter. Gerald Henderson, while not great is also a serviceable shooter as is Lance and Kemba Walker (shot 39% from 3, 84% from the line).

Not sure they are as bad of a shooting team as your post would indicate.
    Henderson shot 35% on 1 1/2 3pt attempts, Kemba shot 33% from 3. That 39% you saw is FROM THE FIELD (ouch). I actually think Marvin Williams will help with 3pt shooting a bit (and he only shot 36% last year, 33% for his career.

Aside from their lack of shooting, Lance and Kemba are essentially the same type of player. It's tough for two guys to play well together for extended stretches (not impossible mind you but difficult). I think they will be fun to watch when things are going well, but will look bad when things aren't going quite as well. I just don't know of their style duplicated in the backcourt will lead to a lot of wins. It should be interesting to see what happens.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

While they are not Golden State, they do have Gary Neal who is a career 40% 3 pt shooter. Gerald Henderson, while not great is also a serviceable shooter as is Lance and Kemba Walker (shot 39% from 3, 84% from the line).

Both are bench pieces who won't play that much.

If we get Marion I would place us above Charlotte, I don't think Al Jefferson is as good as he showed last season, and I just don't like the Lance fit at all. Granted I think we will get good Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    You really think we will be that bad? Or do you think the Bobcats and Heat will be pretty good?
    I think both the Heat and Hornets should be expected to win in the mid 40's with ceilings around 50. I think the Pacers should be expected to win in the mid 30's with a ceiling around .500. So yeah, I think both teams are a good 10 wins above the Pacers. The Pacers' starting 1-3 will collectively be as bad as any team in the league. Hibbert will get worn out on the defensive end since PG won't be around to stop so much on the perimeter. Our best hope for offense is running a 34 year old David West into the ground.

The likes of Lavoy Allen and Solo should get a TON of minutes this year. We need to find out what we have in these players.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I think both the Heat and Hornets should be expected to win in the mid 40's with ceilings around 50. I think the Pacers should be expected to win in the mid 30's with a ceiling around .500. So yeah, I think both teams are a good 10 wins above the Pacers. The Pacers' starting 1-3 will collectively be as bad as any team in the league. Hibbert will get worn out on the defensive end since PG won't be around to stop so much on the perimeter. Our best hope for offense is running a 34 year old David West into the ground.

The likes of Lavoy Allen and Solo should get a TON of minutes this year. We need to find out what we have in these players.
    If the Hornets win close to 50 wins, it'd be the most surprising thing I've seen in a long long while. But I can see your thought process for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    Yeah, that's the problem. I don't think anyone on this board is as big of a jerk in person as they come across on here. Except maybe Nuntius. Dude is impossibly nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    He is a saint, cdash. If a mosquito landed on his arm trying to bite him he would tell it " Go on son, do your thing".

Big Al is better than anyone that Miami has. Stepheson may be better than old Wade. I don't see how anyone ranks Miami over Charlotte. I don't see how anyone can be confident that Wade will play 60+ games.

1. Charlotte
    2. Miami
    3. Indiana
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shabazz For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Hornets are tough to figure. Really good coach, but losing McBob is going to hurt chemistry and I don't think lance is a good fit there.

Heat 45 wins
    Hornets - 38 wins
    Pacers 35 wins

something like that
    Wow, 35? That's bleak.
    Assuming IND signs a Marion, or Brooks or someone. I am giving them a .500 season.

We lost our best player, who was also a damn good 2-way player. We should be below both of those teams. It doesn't mean we shouldn't compete though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    Wow, 35? That's bleak.
    Assuming IND signs a Marion, or Brooks or someone. I am giving them a .500 season.
    I think 35 wins is about realistic. Looking at our roster now compared to the 2009-10 season. Do you think we are 10 games better than those guys?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Miami
    Indy
    Charlotte.

I think we still might come out of this with an 8 seed. I see Charlotte imploding before the all star break and never recovering.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Miami - I see the Heat being in the picture for home court advantage in at least the first round of the playoffs (3-4 seed, but closer to #2 than #5) and winning somewhere between 45-48 games.
    2. Charlotte - I like their roster, and assuming Lance meshes well there and behaves himself, they should be better than last year. Probably 5th seed at best, but more likely to be 6th-7th seed at a few games above .500.
    3. Indiana - I still think the Pacers can make the playoffs this year... the 8th seed might be their ceiling, but for the team's sake, and the Pacers' fans' sake, I hope they push like hell for it. Charlotte and especially Miami are just much better rosters right now without Paul George in the mix.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Henderson shot 35% on 1 1/2 3pt attempts, Kemba shot 33% from 3. That 39% you saw is FROM THE FIELD (ouch). I actually think Marvin Williams will help with 3pt shooting a bit (and he only shot 36% last year, 33% for his career.
    Chris Douglas-Roberts and Anthony Tolliver helped their shooting a lot last year but they're no longer with the team.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think 35 wins is about realistic. Looking at our roster now compared to the 2009-10 season. Do you think we are 10 games better than those guys?
    Look, I wasn't following the NBA back then but on paper our current team is certainly better than the 09-10 squad.

We have a better coach, a better PG, a better PF and Hibbert is a better player than he was back then. Danny Granger was the only player of the 09-10 that is clearly better than his current counterpart (which is gonna be Solo or Damjan).
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

At least 10 games better.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    At least 10 games better.
    Hmm. Guess we shall see.

Charolette, Miami, Indiana

That's due to me predicting Heat dealing with quite a few games played w/o Wade (35ish.) If he's healthy & can go 75 or more games then like most here say they may leap frog Charolette. If Wade & possible others miss more time than Im guessing like say he sits 65 games, Bosh & Deng sit 15 or so combined then they are right back to Indiana's level. The Heat are the toughest to rank as injuries predictions are cloudy but Wades probably averaging 35 missed games a year. That's my final guess on where they will sit after 82 games. I could also see a scenario where Charolette wins more reg season but loses to Miami in the playoffs due to experience ala the Nets eliminating the Raps this past year.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    Big Al is better than anyone that Miami has. Stepheson may be better than old Wade. I don't see how anyone ranks Miami over Charlotte. I don't see how anyone can be confident that Wade will play 60+ games.

1. Charlotte
    2. Miami
    3. Indiana
    That's fair but also team chemistry & championship experience is much better in Miami. No, no one can be confident in Wades health. Which is why I gave Charlotte the dBm light
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Hmm. Guess we shall see.
    Well, I am also of the opinion that if it wasn't for JOB those teams would have been at least .500 teams, give or take.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Well they were 25th in total 3 point shots made last year with 516. Guys who left their team this summer, mainly McRoberts, Tolliver, and CDR (who I suppose could still return as he hasn't been signed by anybody yet) made 293 of those. They added Lance, who is merely an average outside shooter. They signed Marvin Williams who should help with their spacing, but he hasn't ever been as good of an outside shooter as McRoberts and Tolliver were last season, so I can't imagine him really replacing them both. They drafted a project in Noah Vonleh, and PJ Hairston who I suppose could be a good shooter in the NBA if he figures it out, and doesn't end up in prison first.

Gerald Henderson only made 40 threes all season at a .348 clip. He isn't an outside shooter, but at least he doesn't try to be. Kemba Walker hit 109 of them, but only shot .333 from back there, not 39%. He's a really below average outside shooter for a point guard. MKG who is their starting small forward, made 1 three last year. Seriously. He only made 1, and he started 62 games at a wing position for a playoff team. That's incredible. Of course he only attempted 9 of them, so at least he knew his limits. He also has the ugliest shot, possibly in the history of the NBA. Cody Zeller couldn't hit a shot anywhere on the floor, and certainly didn't show any reason to be optimistic he can spread the floor for them. Al Jefferson is actually a really good shooter from 15-20 feet.

If you watched a lot of the Charlotte Bobcats last year, you watched a really bad shooting team. Now take away their 2 (possibly 3 depending on what happens with CDR) best outside shooters, and you have the Charlotte Hornets.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Nice post Mackey, regardless which side of the coin you fall on. You make a good argument.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Well they were 25th in total 3 point shots made last year with 516. Guys who left their team this summer, mainly McRoberts, Tolliver, and CDR (who I suppose could still return as he hasn't been signed by anybody yet) made 293 of those. They added Lance, who is merely an average outside shooter. They signed Marvin Williams who should help with their spacing, but he hasn't ever been as good of an outside shooter as McRoberts and Tolliver were last season, so I can't imagine him really replacing them both. They drafted a project in Noah Vonleh, and PJ Hairston who I suppose could be a good shooter in the NBA if he figures it out, and doesn't end up in prison first.

Gerald Henderson only made 40 threes all season at a .348 clip. He isn't an outside shooter, but at least he doesn't try to be. Kemba Walker hit 109 of them, but only shot .333 from back there, not 39%. He's a really below average outside shooter for a point guard. MKG who is their starting small forward, made 1 three last year. Seriously. He only made 1, and he started 62 games at a wing position for a playoff team. That's incredible. Of course he only attempted 9 of them, so at least he knew his limits. He also has the ugliest shot, possibly in the history of the NBA. Cody Zeller couldn't hit a shot anywhere on the floor, and certainly didn't show any reason to be optimistic he can spread the floor for them. Al Jefferson is actually a really good shooter from 15-20 feet.

If you watched a lot of the Charlotte Bobcats last year, you watched a really bad shooting team. Now take away their 2 (possibly 3 depending on what happens with CDR) best outside shooters, and you have the Charlotte Hornets.
    I am talking about this upcoming season, not last year. I get they were not great from 3 last season.

Again, they are not a prolific team, but they have enough threats to keep the floor spaced and open up the paint for Al Jefferson and for Kemba/Lance to drive.

I am talking about this upcoming season, not last year. I get they were not great from 3 last season.

Again, they are not a prolific team, but they have enough threats to keep the floor spaced and open up the paint for Al Jefferson and for Kemba/Lance to drive.
    So they were a terrible outside shooting team last year, but that's all going to change this coming season even though they didn't really add much outside shooting, and actually lost most of what they had?

I don't follow that logic at all.

The only returning player they have who really helps "open up the paint for Al Jefferson," is Al Jefferson.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 08-06-2014 at 09:51 AM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Back to the OP:

1) Miami is the best team of these 3. They should challenge Washington to be the 3rd best team in the conference. They obviously lost the best player on the planet, but Chalmers/Wade/Deng/McRoberts/Bosh is better than anything outside of Cleveland, Chicago, and Washington.

2) Charlotte is a questionable a playoff team. I don't think they will be as good as they were last year.

3) Indiana should blow it up. I just don't see any reason to try to fight and claw our way to an 8th seed and get blasted in 4 straight by Cleveland or Chicago. Start from scratch, and hope like hell Paul can come back and still play like a superstar by the start of the 2016-2017 season.