Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 89

Thread: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

  1. #1
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    http://8points9seconds.com/2014/08/0...witter#!bwu9YE

    Hmmm, as J. Wade points out this is definite confirmation that the locker room was fractured in some way.
    “…
    He’s the one who held the locker room together as long as it was together,” Sloan said. “You’re losing the face of the team, great athlete, but your losing that glue guy in the locker room as well.”


    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    I thought Jerry Sloan? Then I thought Sloan, the girl from Ferris Buellers Day off?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    I know a lot of people will immediately go to Lance/Roy, but I really wonder about Lance/Hill. The starter who actually had his role change the most with the emergence of Lance was Hill.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  7. #4

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    *you're

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Noticed that in the article too HBerg, cracked me up

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  10. #6
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    notice that neither Hill or West have tweeted out or given any media statement about losing PG.

    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  11. #7

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    notice that neither Hill or West have tweeted out or given any media statement about losing PG.

    they clearly hate him

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    notice that neither Hill or West have tweeted out or given any media statement about losing PG.

    1.) Who cares even if this were true?

    2.) It's not true, George Hill was one of the very first ones, he did it on his instagram.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,067

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1.) Who cares even if this were true?

    2.) It's not true, George Hill was one of the very first ones, he did it on his instagram.
    Ya, but that's not Twitter!

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    PG will most likely be with the team the entire season this year.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  19. #11
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    All this tells me is that PG is the reason that the rest of the team, especially the starters, tolerated Lance for as long as they did. I think PG babysat Lance and after the Heat series, Paul really wasn't certain if it would be best for the team for Lance to return, hence his "I don't know" response.

    I think Lance leaving was a relief to the locker room and prior to the Paul's injury, this team would have been ready to roll on all cylinders. Now this team is playing to prove that it's more than a one man show.
    Last edited by LA_Confidential; 08-05-2014 at 03:32 PM.

  20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  21. #12

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    I really hate speculative threads like this. You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

  22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hate speculative threads like this. You guys have no idea what you're talking about.
    What is speculative about the thread? It's a quote from an actual Pacers player in an article from an actual Pacers news source.

    If your point is we have no idea what we're talking about then we might as well shut the board down because it's all opinion any way.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  25. #14
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,363

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    I think the only thing this really tells me is that when Paul George says "There wasn't any chemistry issues in the Locker room" he really means "I wasn't causing any chemistry issues in the locker room, and I wasn't about to pick a side either."

  26. #15

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is speculative about the thread? It's a quote from an actual Pacers player in an article from an actual Pacers news source.

    If you're point is we have no idea what we're talking about then we might as well shut the board down because it's all opinion any way.
    As in we end up speculating about locker room relationships that we have little information about.
    We see" Paul George helped keep this locker room together" and then we feel like we can locate where the issue between players were. I'm cool with speculation, but cmon. It becomes negative and we don't even know these guys or their relationships with each other.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the only thing this really tells me is that when Paul George says "There wasn't any chemistry issues in the Locker room" he really means "I wasn't causing any chemistry issues in the locker room, and I wasn't about to pick a side either."
    You realize this seems to take Sloan's positive comment about Paul holding things together and spin it as meaning Paul was really selfish and lied about the locker room issues?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  29. #17
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,067

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As in we end up speculating about locker room relationships that we have little information about.
    We see" Paul George helped keep this locker room together" and then we feel like we can locate where the issue between players were. I'm cool with speculation, but cmon. It becomes negative and we don't even know these guys or their relationships with each other.
    Yup, I think we can specualte about PG some based off this, but this doesn't tell me Lance and Roy or Lance and Hill had a problem or anythign like that.

  30. #18
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,626

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    I ask this in all honesty of you "lance was the problem" people.

    Do you think Larry Bird has no understanding of locker room and player dynamics? I am not asking that as an accusation even though it probably comes off that way, I am asking that honestly because I just don't understand why if Lance was the sole or even the largest problem from last seasons team why did Larry not address it last year when the team was collapsing right in front of him and certainly why would he make such a production of publicly offering Lance a contract and then acting disappointed when he didn't accept it.

    I know some conspiracy people are going to claim that Larry offered him a contract he knew he wouldn't accept but I am sure that if that were the case he would not have made such a public display of meeting with Lance on July 1 @ midnight.

    I think he wanted Lance back, so that brings me back to the main question. Does Larry just not understand the bench dynamics or does he not care?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  32. #19

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ask this in all honesty of you "lance was the problem" people.

    Do you think Larry Bird has no understanding of locker room and player dynamics? I am not asking that as an accusation even though it probably comes off that way, I am asking that honestly because I just don't understand why if Lance was the sole or even the largest problem from last seasons team why did Larry not address it last year when the team was collapsing right in front of him and certainly why would he make such a production of publicly offering Lance a contract and then acting disappointed when he didn't accept it.

    I know some conspiracy people are going to claim that Larry offered him a contract he knew he wouldn't accept but I am sure that if that were the case he would not have made such a public display of meeting with Lance on July 1 @ midnight.

    I think he wanted Lance back, so that brings me back to the main question. Does Larry just not understand the bench dynamics or does he not care?
    How do we know Larry didn't address it? I don't think last year Larry did fully understand how big chemistry was to this group's success, and I believe Larry was going to take a risk with Lance, and lock him up long term, and hope he can work past the chemistry issues due to his rare talent. IMO, Larry was willing to take the risk of Lance maturing.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  34. #20

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    But Lance is gone, didn't anyone tell that to Mr. Sloan? Nobody taught him how to add by subtracting? What's he worried about?

  35. #21
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ask this in all honesty of you "lance was the problem" people.

    Do you think Larry Bird has no understanding of locker room and player dynamics? I am not asking that as an accusation even though it probably comes off that way, I am asking that honestly because I just don't understand why if Lance was the sole or even the largest problem from last seasons team why did Larry not address it last year when the team was collapsing right in front of him and certainly why would he make such a production of publicly offering Lance a contract and then acting disappointed when he didn't accept it.

    I know some conspiracy people are going to claim that Larry offered him a contract he knew he wouldn't accept but I am sure that if that were the case he would not have made such a public display of meeting with Lance on July 1 @ midnight.

    I think he wanted Lance back, so that brings me back to the main question. Does Larry just not understand the bench dynamics or does he not care?
    Playing devils advocate here, cuz I waiver on what I think. Because you want to make talent work. Lance has talent, tons. If Larry thought Lance was a problem but was going to keep maturing and he was "the most talented player on the team" , maybe you offer him a non crippling contract.

    The other thing I think of is Larry being on the cover of SI with Ron right before the Brawl. Sometimes you really get blinded by talent.

  36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  37. #22

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Lance is gone, didn't anyone tell that to Mr. Sloan? Nobody taught him how to add by subtracting? What's he worried about?
    What are you talking about? He said its tough to lose a good locker room guy like PG, what does that have to do with Lance?

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  39. #23
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,067

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Lance is gone, didn't anyone tell that to Mr. Sloan? Nobody taught him how to add by subtracting? What's he worried about?
    People joke about adding by subtracting...it isn't like that is an outrageous statement.

    5 minus -1 is 6. So hypothetically if Lance was a negative due to lockerroom issues, subtracting him could be a net addition.

    Just sayin'.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

    sav

  41. #24
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    266

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ask this in all honesty of you "lance was the problem" people.

    Do you think Larry Bird has no understanding of locker room and player dynamics? I am not asking that as an accusation even though it probably comes off that way, I am asking that honestly because I just don't understand why if Lance was the sole or even the largest problem from last seasons team why did Larry not address it last year when the team was collapsing right in front of him and certainly why would he make such a production of publicly offering Lance a contract and then acting disappointed when he didn't accept it.

    I know some conspiracy people are going to claim that Larry offered him a contract he knew he wouldn't accept but I am sure that if that were the case he would not have made such a public display of meeting with Lance on July 1 @ midnight.

    I think he wanted Lance back, so that brings me back to the main question. Does Larry just not understand the bench dynamics or does he not care?
    In my opinion, Larry looks at these players as adult men and expects them to act like it. Unfortunately, some men don't act like adults. I think he was trying to give them the opportunity to work through issues themselves.

    After the season, Larry made the comment that he was going to "sit on Lance more" next season. That tells me Larry knew he was at least part of the problem.

  42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:


  43. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Sloan says PG "the one that kept the locker room together as long as it was together" via 8pts9secs

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I ask this in all honesty of you "lance was the problem" people.

    Do you think Larry Bird has no understanding of locker room and player dynamics? I am not asking that as an accusation even though it probably comes off that way, I am asking that honestly because I just don't understand why if Lance was the sole or even the largest problem from last seasons team why did Larry not address it last year when the team was collapsing right in front of him and certainly why would he make such a production of publicly offering Lance a contract and then acting disappointed when he didn't accept it.

    I know some conspiracy people are going to claim that Larry offered him a contract he knew he wouldn't accept but I am sure that if that were the case he would not have made such a public display of meeting with Lance on July 1 @ midnight.

    I think he wanted Lance back, so that brings me back to the main question. Does Larry just not understand the bench dynamics or does he not care?

    I am one who believes that lance was the problem. Not the only problem and maybe not Lance's fault to a large degree.

    Larry was fully and 100% aware of the problems that stemmed from lance.

    But larry still wanted him back. He probably figures that a very talented young player like Lance was worth it and that in the long run Lance likely would outlast many of the other players on the roster not named Paul George. So lets make lance a good contract offer. If he accepts, great, if he doesn't well we move on.

    Larry probably also figured that lance would outgrow a lot of his issues.

    So yes Larry wanted him back. But on a scale of 1-10 - 10 being wanting him back like PG. And 1 wanting him back like ET. Larry probably wanted him back about a 6.

    I put it this way. Lance would have gotten us 10 wins this season if he were here - with his talent. But he would have cost us 6 wins with his antics and chemistry issues he causes. So he might be a net plus of 4 (just using numbers to make my point. with a net plus like that you pay 7.8m, not 10 m.

    I figure this is what Larry believes it is what I believe. The way Larry handled it is reasonable.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-05-2014 at 04:26 PM.

  44. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •