Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2014-15

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Indiana University Athletics Thread 2014-15

Seems a good time to start a new thread. Another year of Indiana University sports is set to begin. As we've done in years past, this is the place to discuss all things IU sports this upcoming year.

This begins a year of uncertain expectations across several sports. Will the football team finally make a bowl? The men's basketball team has talent but will that translate to anything? Who will be named the new coach of the women's basketball team, and will the team continue to improve? Will the baseball team maintain its place as the Big Ten's best with new players under a new coaching staff? What about men's and women's soccer? Looking forward to another year!

Past threads:

2013-14
    2012-13
    2011-12
    2010-11

Let's go Hoosiers!!

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2014-15

Two years ago were the halcyon days for 2000s IU athletics. Men's basketball was #1 most of the year, the baseball team went to the College World Series, the women's basketball program was rising with their great new head coach, and football was at least showing signs of life. Oh, and men's soccer won a national title. Now...well, the football program is at a make or break year for Coach Wilson, the men's basketball program is back on a downward trajectory, our women's coach bizarely resigned, we lost our baseball coach, and the men's soccer program fell flat on their face after the national title and preseason #1 last season.

Honestly, the only program I am truly optimistic about is the football program right now. At IU. Ugh.

played at Purdue for Lin Dunn in the early 90s

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two years ago were the halcyon days for 2000s IU athletics. Men's basketball was #1 most of the year, the baseball team went to the College World Series, the women's basketball program was rising with their great new head coach, and football was at least showing signs of life. Oh, and men's soccer won a national title. Now...well, the football program is at a make or break year for Coach Wilson, the men's basketball program is back on a downward trajectory, our women's coach bizarely resigned, we lost our baseball coach, and the men's soccer program fell flat on their face after the national title and preseason #1 last season.

Honestly, the only program I am truly optimistic about is the football program right now. At IU. Ugh.
    yep, it is an unusual situation when the football team is the only program you can feel semi-optimistic about.
    looks like the only things i can be excited about are the colts and iu football.
    but, maybe i will be pleasantly surprised. it's possible i suppose.

So the IU basketball team is taking a trip to Canada and Hanner Perea can't go because of issues with his visa. IU has known about this trip for months and just now realized this problem.

How many things can IU possibly screw up?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    So the IU basketball team is taking a trip to Canada and Hanner Perea can't go because of issues with his visa. IU has known about this trip for months and just now realized this problem.

Hanner will not contribute much to this team other than available fouls. His absence in Canada won't make any difference. Just another wasted scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post

plenty it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Hanner will not contribute much to this team other than available fouls. His absence in Canada won't make any difference. Just another wasted scholarship.
    yeh, i'm inclined to agree. beyond his athleticism, he really doesn't offer much. he was way over-ranked coming out of high school as he really doesn't seem to have anything approaching refinement in his offensive game.
    he could block some shots and maybe get a few boards but i doubt he ever turns into anything much.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

played at Purdue for Lin Dunn in the early 90s
    ...aaaaaannnnnnd she's our new head coach.

Anyone else feeling really optimistic and just a positive vibe from the IU football program?

We lost to a damn Canadian team yesterday. Pathetic.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Anyone else feeling really optimistic and just a positive vibe from the IU football program?
    I am also. I'm really excited to see what the team can do this year.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    I am also. I'm really excited to see what the team can do this year.
    I am specifically looking forward to watching Tevin Coleman, maybe I am extremely biased, but I feel like he can be the best back in the B1G this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    We lost to a damn Canadian team yesterday. Pathetic.
    Anyone who's read my posts know I'm not going to make excuses for Crean or this program, but some of these Canadian teams would do very well in the NCAA. Wisconsin made this trip last summer and lost a game while winning another in overtime. I fully expected IU to lose at least one, maybe two on this tour.

The team that beat IU yesterday consisted of mostly 22-24 year olds. They're also playing with a 24 second shot clock.

Also, Canada has suddenly been producing some basketball talent. The last two #1 picks are Canadian nationals. The reigning Big Ten POY is from Canada.

Again, I really don't want to make excuses, but you can't take much from these exhibitions, win or lose. I just don't like hearing people say things like "they're Canadian, they must suck, cuz 'Murica" etc.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Yes the last two #1 picks are Canadian nationals....who played their college ball in America.

I'm just really getting tired of everything that happens on this team that is a negative just sees Crean going with the "they're so young" defense. Come on your starting PG is going into this 3rd year with 2 years of starts under his belt. Someone needs to start leading at some point.

Same positive feeling I get every year........until the actual games are played.

The only times I had any confidence in IU football was when Mallory was coaching, and I've followed that team since the early '60s.

Same positive feeling I get every year........until the actual games are played.

The only times I had any confidence in IU football was when Mallory was coaching, and I've followed that team since the early '60s.
    This team has so much more talent than any of the other IU football teams in the past though, especially in the past 10 years. Cody Latimer and Tevin Coleman may be the top 2 players to play at IU in the past 10 years. I can easily see Coleman rushing for 1,400 yards and 15-16 TD's or something similar, maybe even quite a bit more of both.

This team has so much more talent than any of the other IU football teams in the past though, especially in the past 10 years. Cody Latimer and Tevin Coleman may be the top 2 players to play at IU in the past 10 years. I can easily see Coleman rushing for 1,400 yards and 15-16 TD's or something similar, maybe even quite a bit more of both.
    I thought Latimer left for the NFL. Am I wrong about that? If so, who am I thinking of?

Also, will the defense be able to stop anyone?

I thought Latimer left for the NFL. Am I wrong about that? If so, who am I thinking of?

Also, will the defense be able to stop anyone?
    the defense will be a big question mark. i just can't help but think it's gotta be better than what we have seen lately as it honestly couldn't get much worse.
    i imagine the new defensive sets might take a bit for the the players to get used to but, i think it will yield better results than the last 2 years did.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

incoming freshman, got denied academically at Oregon

So they are playing with a 24 second clock in Canada? So instead of running that weave at the top of the key for 30 secs, and no picks being set, and then tossing up a random 3 they'll have to do it for 20 secs before spraying and praying....

Since nothing develops in 35 secs with IU's offense 24 secs shouldn't hurt a thing....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

yeah, 24 seconds is regulation for Canadian universities/colleges. just another thing the NCAA's a generation or two late on.

Positive vibes come from the defensive coordinator switch. The offense is going to be great. Sudfield is a player, the offensive line is deep and has a bunch of high end talent, Coleman is great. The problem last year was the defensive coordinator refused to make adjustments during the game. Every player knew it was going to be a disaster, but the DC was too pigheaded to make changes. A competent defensive coordinator would have had IU in a bowl game last year. If the new guy can get the young defensive talent to gel and play well, IU can win 7 or 8 games this year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    yeah, 24 seconds is regulation for Canadian universities/colleges. just another thing the NCAA's a generation or two late on.
    No kidding. I don't think it is a big deal really. Most teams shoot in 24 anyway.

I went to a few Belmont practices last year they practice with a 12 second shot clock.