Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLS thread

Default 2014 MLS thread

Any MLS fans here? I root for the Sounders just because my two favorite players (Yedlin/Dempsey) both happen to play for them, though Yedlin is headed for Tottenham so good for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 MLS thread

I am a new fan (thanks, World Cup and FIFA 14!). I find myself really, really wishing Phoenix would get an MLS team although having done some thorough Wiki searching yields no potential fruit in the near future for Phoenix. So I don't really have a team, but I find myself most interested in the Sounders because I too like Yedlin and Dempsey, although I guess Yedlin is technically just on loan with them for now, as Tottenham purchased him a week or two back.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am a new fan (thanks, World Cup and FIFA 14!). I find myself really, really wishing Phoenix would get an MLS team although having done some thorough Wiki searching yields no potential fruit in the near future for Phoenix. So I don't really have a team, but I find myself most interested in the Sounders because I too like Yedlin and Dempsey, although I guess Yedlin is technically just on loan with them for now, as Tottenham purchased him a week or two back.
    I got on to MLS for the same reasons as you, FIFA and the World Cup , I am also a new fan, I happen to think that MLS is pretty underrated, no its not the premier league or anything but it is a good league.

Pretty big game, Seattle vs Portland is on ESPN2 for those interested. Seattle is in a 3 way tie for first in the West, and if Portland wins today, they move into the playoffs in the west.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 08-24-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Nice pass by former USMNT player Brad Evans to Obafemi Martins who breaks the scoreless streak and makes it 1-0 Seattle.

Obafemi Martins finds Clint Dempsey who puts Seattle up 2-0. I know those two have struggled recently, but that duo is very dangerous. Henry and Wright-Phillips in New York is the only one that comes close imo.

Chad Barrett makes it 3-0 Seattle on an impressive goal, so much for the talk of a possible 2nd straight season collapse. Just as I type that Portland comes back and Adi makes it 3-1.

Obafemi Martins has been great this game, has his 2nd goal of the game to make it 4-1.

And onto the breaking news, the Revolution have signed Jermaine Jones for 1.5 seasons and roughly 5 million dollars, they are currently 1 spot out of the playoffs.

from a few days ago, but D.C. United were victorious over Waterhouse in their CONCACAF champions league game.

Jermaine Jones was put in New England after he drew it out of a hat. Only in MLS.

New York Red Bulls are up 2-0 in the 87th minute of their CONCACAF game vs FAS.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a hard time really getting into MLS. I find myself gravitating towards the Premier League. Especially right now when Manchester United is crapping themselves so spectacularly. Getting beat 4-0 in the (lame) Capital One Cup to MK Dons is pretty egregious.

Sports Logo

I live in DC and I had no idea DC United was the #1 seed in the East, and I'm a huge soccer fan. I don't think I could name five players on the team. From a marketing standpoint, the MLS is pretty lackluster. Maybe it's different in other cities like Portland or Seattle, but in DC, unless you're "in" with the local soccer community, know the local bar to watch the games, etc. you're going to be out of the loop. I think that speaks to MLS' greatest deficiency. They need to reach a larger audience. How many games are on local broadcast television? I know ESPN2 and NBC Sports caries a handful or so, but countless games are only on local sports networks, and others only on the League Pass equivalent "MLS Live." Where are the weekend games? NBC would rather show the PL. Fox would rather show college football. ABC has the WNBA this coming weekend. Can't the MLS fit in somewhere between the hours and hours of golf and NASCAR coverage? One game a week at least? Have a few test runs. If the demand isn't there, then pull it. But if soccer is really growing in this country, then let's put our money where our mouth is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    then let's put our money where our mouth is.
    Don't expect that to come from the big names in broadcasting. They are by default risk adverse. If it is unproven that they can make money off of something they won't even try.

Not that it means MLS is more popular but an interesting stat I found is MLS has a higher attendance average than both the NBA and the NHL, I didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Not that it means MLS is more popular but an interesting stat I found is MLS has a higher attendance average than both the NBA and the NHL, I didn't know that
    They also have bigger stadiums and fewer games. I also think most games not being on TV tends to cause an increase in attendance, although not necessarily an increase in revenue over being on TV.

You also have Chivas USA with a lower attendance than the Indy Eleven.

Oh also another interesting note, MLS teams have a higher average attendance than the biggest Brazilian league.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 08-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I live in DC and I had no idea DC United was the #1 seed in the East, and I'm a huge soccer fan. I don't think I could name five players on the team. From a marketing standpoint, the MLS is pretty lackluster. Maybe it's different in other cities like Portland or Seattle, but in DC, unless you're "in" with the local soccer community, know the local bar to watch the games, etc. you're going to be out of the loop. I think that speaks to MLS' greatest deficiency. They need to reach a larger audience. How many games are on local broadcast television? I know ESPN2 and NBC Sports caries a handful or so, but countless games are only on local sports networks, and others only on the League Pass equivalent "MLS Live." Where are the weekend games? NBC would rather show the PL. Fox would rather show college football. ABC has the WNBA this coming weekend. Can't the MLS fit in somewhere between the hours and hours of golf and NASCAR coverage? One game a week at least? Have a few test runs. If the demand isn't there, then pull it. But if soccer is really growing in this country, then let's put our money where our mouth is.
    There usually is one nationally televised MLS game a week, I believe every weekend or close to every weekend NBC sports or ESPN will televise an MLS game or sometimes more than one. Every week I have gotten into MLS there has been a nationally televised game at least. NBS sports actually is carrying 2 games this weekend, one on Friday and one on Sunday. ESPN does have a ESPNFC show a few times a week where popular soccer topics are discussed which always includes MLS topics.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 08-27-2014 at 05:09 PM.

I think I agree with David Beckham who says the salary cap needs to go, or at least increase it. No other major soccer league has a salary cap, which is part of the reason MLS struggles to get top players who aren't past their prime. I understand removing the salary cap can cause problems such as what the NASL went through, but if MLS ever wants to compete with the top leagues or come at least close to them the salary cap needs to be either raised or removed.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 08-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I think I agree with David Beckham who says the salary cap needs to go, or at least increase it. No other major soccer league has a salary cap, which is part of the reason MLS struggles to get top players who aren't past their prime. I understand removing the salary cap can cause problems such as what the NASL went through, but if MLS ever wants to compete with the top leagues or come at least close to them the salary cap needs to be either raised or removed.
    I disagree on the abolishing of the salary cap. I think the other leagues need to establish a salary cap.

Now raising it I can agree with, but that is a problem of economics. Simply, it is not economic for the MLS. It isn't popular enough to be able to compete with the top European leagues. In order to try to compete by offering competitive contracts they will lose a lot of money, and it would very likely cause the league to go bankrupt. The MLS simply isn't ready to compete with Europe on that level. I do not know if they could raise the salary cap as of right now, but I know they cannot raise it enough to compete with European teams for top talent.

They need to grow their brand first in the USA. In the USA non-salary capped leagues do not fly anymore as it is seen (and is) to give larger markets an unfair advantage. So if the league wants to be successful in the USA, which is necessary for its survival, it cannot get rid of the cap. I think a strategy of focusing on keeping USA talent, and bringing over older stars is a smart one. I think allowing the top USA talent to go to Europe and establish themselves then bring them back while still in their prime would also be a great strategy to grow the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I disagree on the abolishing of the salary cap. I think the other leagues need to establish a salary cap.

Now raising it I can agree with, but that is a problem of economics. Simply, it is not economic for the MLS. It isn't popular enough to be able to compete with the top European leagues. In order to try to compete by offering competitive contracts they will lose a lot of money, and it would very likely cause the league to go bankrupt. The MLS simply isn't ready to compete with Europe on that level. I do not know if they could raise the salary cap as of right now, but I know they cannot raise it enough to compete with European teams for top talent.

They need to grow their brand first in the USA. In the USA non-salary capped leagues do not fly anymore as it is seen (and is) to give larger markets an unfair advantage. So if the league wants to be successful in the USA, which is necessary for its survival, it cannot get rid of the cap. I think a strategy of focusing on keeping USA talent, and bringing over older stars is a smart one. I think allowing the top USA talent to go to Europe and establish themselves then bring them back while still in their prime would also be a great strategy to grow the league.
    I can certainly see that POV, and I wouldn't mean abolish it right now, but the salary cap certainly needs to increase.

Big Match. Houston at Sporting KC is on NBC sports now.

Rain delay in the Houston-Sporting KC game at 0-0.

Game is expected to start up again in 15 mins.

No salary cap is what killed the NASL. It is completely necessary. It will also go up a lot with the next CBA.

Houston-SKC has been very entertaining.

3-1 Houston ahead of Sporting KC, outside of a Dom Dwyer goal its been pretty rough tonight for Sporting KC, but they gave up two inexcusable goals off of set pieces.