Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Preseason Thread: Back to Football

Default Re: 2014 Preseason Thread: Back to Football

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm an NFL junkie during the regular season, but I just can't get into this pre-season stuff. I don't even get that pumped for a Colts pre-season game. I think it goes back to how we completely blew it off in the Manning era. Pre-season games put me to sleep.
    Yep, had tickets to the Giants game hoping Reggie would get a few plays. The Mrs. and I left at halftime after our $20 parking and $12 dollar pop and nachos.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Well, the Browns made a major announcement today. They named Johnny Manziel as backup QB.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Yep, had tickets to the Giants game hoping Reggie would get a few plays. The Mrs. and I left at halftime after our $20 parking and $12 dollar pop and nachos.
    That game was 3 hours and 40 minutes. We left at the 2 min warning before halftime and was almost home before the game ended. I live almost 2 hours away. I usually give my preseason tickets away but I wanted to see Manning and Brees this year. Oh, and seeing Curtis Painter was worth the price of admission

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, the Browns made a major announcement today. They named Johnny Manziel as backup QB.
    I never thought I would see the day when anybody cared who the Browns QB was. Actually, I don't think anybody really cares but ESPN.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did the NFL really make pass interference a point of emphasis for officiating this summer like some commentators said during a preseason game yesterday? So we're going to see even more penalties next year? Does Goodell purposely want the games to be more drawn out to maximize advertising revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I think even Stevie Wonder saw this coming I figured this was going to be the case Manziel got the better end of the deal being the starter of the Browns is a disaster IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Did the NFL really make pass interference a point of emphasis for officiating this summer like some commentators said during a preseason game yesterday? So we're going to see even more penalties next year? Does Goodell purposely want the games to be more drawn out to maximize advertising revenue?
    Defensive Holding, Offensive Pass int. are the points of emphasis.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Illegal contact penalties are way up this preseason, the result of the league office telling officials to monitor defensive backs closely and throw flags with impunity. That will continue in the regular season.
    We’re not going to change how we’re calling the games once the regular-season starts,’’ NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino told The MMQB.

Blandino added, however, that the league office believes teams will adjust to the stricter rules enforcement and that there won’t necessarily be more flags when the season starts because players will have learned through the preseason what they can and can’t do.

“The way the game’s being officiated now is the way it’s going to be officiated when the season begins,” Blandino said. “We have to remain consistent. I knew we’d see a spike in calls when we put out these points of emphasis. But coaches adjust, and players adjust. They have to, and they know it. And we’ll correct our officials when we feel they’re being over-zealous with certain calls. Plus, I would say that between 70 and 75 percent of the calls I’ve gotten from teams after their games this preseason are asking the question, Why weren’t there more calls? I had a call today from a team with seven questions, and six were, Why wasn’t a foul called on this play?”

After a 2013 season in which several NFL passing records were set, we may see even more in 2014. It’s a good year to be a quarterback or a wide receiver.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...will-continue/

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Illegal contact penalties are way up this preseason, the result of the league office telling officials to monitor defensive backs closely and throw flags with impunity. That will continue in the regular season.
    We’re not going to change how we’re calling the games once the regular-season starts,’’ NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino told The MMQB.

Blandino added, however, that the league office believes teams will adjust to the stricter rules enforcement and that there won’t necessarily be more flags when the season starts because players will have learned through the preseason what they can and can’t do.

“The way the game’s being officiated now is the way it’s going to be officiated when the season begins,” Blandino said. “We have to remain consistent. I knew we’d see a spike in calls when we put out these points of emphasis. But coaches adjust, and players adjust. They have to, and they know it. And we’ll correct our officials when we feel they’re being over-zealous with certain calls. Plus, I would say that between 70 and 75 percent of the calls I’ve gotten from teams after their games this preseason are asking the question, Why weren’t there more calls? I had a call today from a team with seven questions, and six were, Why wasn’t a foul called on this play?”

After a 2013 season in which several NFL passing records were set, we may see even more in 2014. It’s a good year to be a quarterback or a wide receiver.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...will-continue/
    Honestly, this is happening because a certain staunch defense from the Northwest like to pick up their jams 4 yds from the LOS and hold then 2-3 yds knowing that they'll get the benefit of being past 5 yards cause they pick them up so late the refs wouldn't want to ruin the "flow of the game" calling it everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    How did you get off so cheap? (I remember when we had a $20 cash parking lot. Damn shame when at my young age I can say I remember a time when )

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Montori Huges 3 month old daughter passed away. Pagano said he had her at camp in Anderson and seemed just fine. I couldn't imagine what how hard it must be for him and his family.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...hild/14396781/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-ravens-game/
    “Slap Ya Mama” ads pulled from Saints-Ravens game

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 23, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

Two weeks ago when the Saints’ local preseason broadcast featured a garish red ad for “Slap Ya Mama” spices superimposed over the field, some smart aleck suggested it was a good thing they weren’t playing the Ravens.

As it turns out, that smart aleck was a prophet (he gets lucky sometimes).

According to Christopher Dabe of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the Slap Ya Mama Red Zone will not be part of the Saints’ final preseason contest — against the Ravens.

The Cajun seasoning company said in a release that it agreed to pull the sponsorship “in light of the domestic violence issues facing the NFL.”

The league has circled back on its initial blind eye toward similar ads on other local broadcasts (which are controlled by the teams during the preseason), saying such virtual signage should not appear.

With the games being replayed on the NFL Network, the local ads were getting national play. And not just the ones for delicious Cajun spices, which Ray Rice has now ruined for all of us.

Beautiful drive by the Colts. And some good runs by Rich no less. With Wayne and TY receptions. Perfect
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Defense pretty awful so far
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Lookin like traditional Colts Swiss cheese D.

I get no Mathis but really...
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Horrible D tonight......glad its just preseason
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

The INT by Luck was ****** too. Worst preseason performance to this point. Imagine had Brees gone anotherqtr.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    Horrible D tonight......glad its just preseason
    While I agree many teams use the 3rd preseason game as the barometer for how the team will do in the season. It just tells me the Colts don't match up well against teams built like the Saints.

Colts are bad usually in the preseason so I don't think it will affect us winning the division at least.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    The INT by Luck was ****** too. Worst preseason performance to this point. Imagine had Brees gone anotherqtr.
    I have to say I expected him to be a bit rusty too and he wasn't

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aside from a couple of solid runs from TRich and seeing Reggie back, this game has been a bummer...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Luck has looked pretty bad tonight.

Yeah, Luck is one looking rusty. Downfall of this year will be o-line. Grigson has been active everywhere but the most painfully obvious area of need since he arrived.

-Emiliano Zapata

I really want to get excited about this season, but our weaknesses NEVER change. It's infuriating.