Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56

Thread: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

  1. #26

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    I'd be interested in Kyle O'Quinn. I know he's a PF, but looking to the future he could be the young PF to replace DWest.

    Maybe shop DWest for something young and a pick. The Pacers are going to need both to rebuild for the future. One step back to take 2 steps forward for the future, and now is the time to do it. JMOAA

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member DJVendetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Posts
    1,074

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I see anybody I would want that would be realistic.
    I know we have no chance at this, but you're telling me you wouldn't take Kawhi Leonard, seriously? Lol :P

  4. #28
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,583
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know we have no chance at this, but you're telling me you wouldn't take Kawhi Leonard, seriously? Lol :P
    Hence the "realistic" comment. It's unrealistic to think we could get Kawhi.

  5. #29
    Big Daddy PaulGeorgeHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connersville Indiana
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be interested in Kyle O'Quinn. I know he's a PF, but looking to the future he could be the young PF to replace DWest.

    Maybe shop DWest for something young and a pick. The Pacers are going to need both to rebuild for the future. One step back to take 2 steps forward for the future, and now is the time to do it. JMOAA
    Yea I'm sure Bird would LOVE to deal with O'Quinn's agent (again).

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:


  7. #30

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Its really a chance to find out what you have with a guy like Solomon Hill. Why waste time, money, energy on a guy like Marion ? the only reason that you would do that is if you are reasonably sure that PG will return by year end and put us in contention to reach the Finals by winning the EC.

    Otherwise, play the young guys and find out what you have. Big opp for a guy like Hill to become rotation player. Probblay can still win 40-45 games and sneak in back end of playoffs..............no way you will pay any luxury tax dollars for a team with that kind of ceiling and no way that you should . Save money , cap space, and court time for youth and hopefully Hill becomes what you thought he might when you drafted him.

    Wouldn't be all bad to become a 25 win team and get top 5 pick in next year's draft either.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NappyRootz For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,434

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its really a chance to find out what you have with a guy like Solomon Hill. Why waste time, money, energy on a guy like Marion ? the only reason that you would do that is if you are reasonably sure that PG will return by year end and put us in contention to reach the Finals by winning the EC.
    IMO there are more than enough minutes to play someone like Marion as well as to develop Solo Hill. I guess you have a burning urge to find out just how NBA-ready guys like Solo and Rudez are, eh?

  10. #32
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,276

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO there are more than enough minutes to play someone like Marion as well as to develop Solo Hill. I guess you have a burning urge to find out just how NBA-ready guys like Solo and Rudez are, eh?
    I think there is a valid reason to develop Solo. We need to develop tin house talent when we are in a situation like this..

    As for splitting minutes with a Marion or any other Wing Player......we need a backup wing Player, no matter what, He'd get minutes there.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #33

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO there are more than enough minutes to play someone like Marion as well as to develop Solo Hill. I guess you have a burning urge to find out just how NBA-ready guys like Solo and Rudez are, eh?
    I'm not enough in the know to have a handle on what are our realistic expectations without PG. But if it's in the neighborhood of 40 wins than yes I'm much more interested in hill and ruder and miles than I am in Marion. Maybe trix adds 3 wins to the 40. ......so what ? And we already have butler for that type of role anyway......

    Maybe hill and rudez become significant contributors and allow us to put together a nice trade package next offseason .......if Marion goes for 12 and 6 who really cares ?

  12. #34

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Considering how close we are to the tax line, here's a more realistic list:

    .












    (crickets)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  14. #35
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMO there are more than enough minutes to play someone like Marion as well as to develop Solo Hill. I guess you have a burning urge to find out just how NBA-ready guys like Solo and Rudez are, eh?
    We don't just have Solo to develop though, we also have Damjan on a three year contract, and he needs to get acclimated to playing in the NBA.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,434

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by NappyRootz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not enough in the know to have a handle on what are our realistic expectations without PG. But if it's in the neighborhood of 40 wins than yes I'm much more interested in hill and ruder and miles than I am in Marion. Maybe trix adds 3 wins to the 40. ......so what ? And we already have butler for that type of role anyway......
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't just have Solo to develop though, we also have Damjan on a three year contract, and he needs to get acclimated to playing in the NBA.
    And if neither guy pans out? I mean, there's a reason they're called "prospects" instead of sure things. We'd be looking at like -10 wins from the total.

    Ah, I get it. It's the unintentional tank faction. I don't mind it actually, but better not let BillS catch you saying stuff like that

  17. #37

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    I actually wouldn't mind Shawn Marion.

    Did you all know that grew up as a Pacers fan, and he wore #31 in Phoenix (and before that at Vincennes) in honor of Reggie Miller?

    But we'd have to dump some salary to get below the tax line.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  19. #38
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you all know that grew up as a Pacers fan, and he wore #31 in Phoenix (and before that at Vincennes) in honor of Reggie Miller?

    ......and did you know that the Pacers drafted Bender over him?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  21. #39
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't mind the Morris twins. Marcus really came into his own last year
    I think you meant Markeiff. Marcus is still a bench/role player at best.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  23. #40
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ......and did you know that the Pacers drafted Bender over him?
    ..........and did you know I immediately thought of Bender when I heard about PG's "gruesome leg injury" on the radio?

  24. #41
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    I want Khris Middleton. They have the Greek Freak and Jabari. I think Khris would be an excellent Pacer. Good defender. Athletic. Lanky and he can shoot.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  26. #42
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,276

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually wouldn't mind Shawn Marion.

    Did you all know that grew up as a Pacers fan, and he wore #31 in Phoenix (and before that at Vincennes) in honor of Reggie Miller?

    But we'd have to dump some salary to get below the tax line.
    Simply let Scola and Sloan go ( this should get us under the LT ceiling to about $4.5 mil to 5 mil ), make the best offer to Marion along with a guaranteed Starting SF spot and see if he bites. Easy-Peezie .

    I consider Marion a better Player than Scola and can contribute in more meaningful ways than Scola occasionally hitting that mid-range jump shot of his.

    We will not be able to replace what we lost in PG24 and many think that Scola is a FO favorite....but he's a luxury at this point with more than capable replacements at the Backup PF spot ( Copeland and Lavoy ) to contribute if he is let go. If there is any intent to put the most competitive Team on the floor ( even if it's the difference between being a Playoff Bubble Team to being a 6th to 8th Playoff Team in the East ).....then swapping out Marion ( or anyone that is better ) for Scola....while using EVERY penny of the Salary Cap before hitting the LT Ceiling....is the preferable course of action.

    At this point, we are desperation Mode.....you do what you have to do to improve the Team and make it more competitive. If that means letting Scola and Sloan's unguaranteed Contracts go, making an offer to Marion ( or anyone that is better than Scola via a FA signing or trade ) while using up every penny of the Salary Cap without going over the LT....then you do it.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-04-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  27. #43
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,711

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..........and did you know I immediately thought of Bender when I heard about PG's "gruesome leg injury" on the radio?
    Why? Bender's injuries were mostly scar tissue from a huge growth spurt.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  28. #44
    Member DJVendetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Posts
    1,074

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hence the "realistic" comment. It's unrealistic to think we could get Kawhi.
    I am so confused as to how I read his quote differently lol oops, oh well my bad :P

  29. #45

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't just have Solo to develop though, we also have Damjan on a three year contract, and he needs to get acclimated to playing in the NBA.
    Completely agree. My concern is that if we bring in Marion on a "1" year contract, with (I believe) Vogel on the last year of his contract, that Vogel will play a 36 year old player to the detriment of the development of younger players you mentioned in order to get wins and keep his job. Not that I'm advocating tanking, but the Pacers can take the double-blows of losing PG and Lance and use it to their advantage to develop these guys...if we make the playoffs, great, they developed...if we miss the playoffs, we both know these guys aren't rotation guys long-term AND we get a decent pick (ala the Colts, who picked up ALuck when Peyton went down, and the Spurs, who picked up Duncan the year Robinson went down). The worse case scenario, IMHO, is if Vogel tries to 'win' and we end up squeaking into the playoffs, getting knocked out in round 1...it's clear this is not a championship caliber team and even if by some miracle we get past round 1, there is no way this current roster can beat seeds 1-8 in the West, or 1-6 in the East.

    I just hate situations where winning a meaningless game, or staying 'competitive', comes at the expense of a long-term view. Some professional sports teams insist on playing their past-their-prime stars while their young players languish...others see the need to sit their still-productive vets in order to give the younger guys a chance to prove themselves. I still am chapped when I think of O'Brien playing that meaningless 82nd game vs the Bucks...both teams out of the playoffs by then...the Pacers get down by 17 and he plays starters and comes back and wins...result: the Bucks pick higher in the lottery and we end up with Tyler. Ugh...

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:


  31. #46
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,648

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually wouldn't mind Shawn Marion.

    Did you all know that grew up as a Pacers fan, and he wore #31 in Phoenix (and before that at Vincennes) in honor of Reggie Miller?

    But we'd have to dump some salary to get below the tax line.
    I doubt Shawn Marion would want to play for the Pacers. He could easily take the minimum and play for the Spurs, Cavs, or Thunder and compete for a championship next year. That would be more appealing than playing for the Pacers.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  32. #47
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simply let Scola and Sloan go ( this should get us under the LT ceiling to about $4.5 mil to 5 mil ), make the best offer to Marion along with a guaranteed Starting SF spot and see if he bites. Easy-Peezie .

    I consider Marion a better Player than Scola and can contribute in more meaningful ways than Scola occasionally hitting that mid-range jump shot of his.

    We will not be able to replace what we lost in PG24 and many think that Scola is a FO favorite....but he's a luxury at this point with more than capable replacements at the Backup PF spot ( Copeland and Lavoy ) to contribute if he is let go. If there is any intent to put the most competitive Team on the floor ( even if it's the difference between being a Playoff Bubble Team to being a 6th to 8th Playoff Team in the East ).....then swapping out Marion ( or anyone that is better ) for Scola....while using EVERY penny of the Salary Cap before hitting the LT Ceiling....is the preferable course of action.

    At this point, we are desperation Mode.....you do what you have to do to improve the Team and make it more competitive. If that means letting Scola and Sloan's unguaranteed Contracts go, making an offer to Marion ( or anyone that is better than Scola via a FA signing or trade ) while using up every penny of the Salary Cap without going over the LT....then you do it.
    Unless it is a move that puts us in championship contention you only make moves this season that help us in the long term. Signing Marion is not a long term help. It is short term, and in all likelihood will only make us worse long term by either holding back Solo/Damjan and giving us a worse draft pick. I'm all for trading Scola, but make sure it is for someone who will help this team when Paul gets back too.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  34. #48
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,276

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless it is a move that puts us in championship contention you only make moves this season that help us in the long term. Signing Marion is not a long term help. It is short term, and in all likelihood will only make us worse long term by either holding back Solo/Damjan and giving us a worse draft pick. I'm all for trading Scola, but make sure it is for someone who will help this team when Paul gets back too.
    There is no move that we can make ( short of trading one of the remaining Starters ) that will put us in Championship Contention. The only move that the Pacers can make ( assuming they make one ) is to benefit the Team in the short term. Improving the Team in the short term....even if it means making the Team a stronger 1st Round Playoff team instead of a Playoff Bubble Team that I think they are is good enough reason for me.

    It's all about making the Team as competitive as it can be without any real cost. Yes, I am opposed to making any move that will cost the Team any assets ( Draft Picks / Prospects ). But in this case, the most that we will lose in letting Scola and Sloan is simply to pay them to leave....but IMHO....we are talking about paying them combined $3+ mil to leave isn't that much of a cost.

    At this point, my goal is to simply build a competitive Team that can make the 1st round of the Playoffs while getting the fans that we won last year back into the seats. Yes, making the 1st round simply sucks...but looking at what we have lost....I'm OK with setting the bar that low. Scola is going to go bye-bye after this season, we might as well make use of him as an asset. If we can improve the make up of the Team in the short term without costing the Team any assets nor going over the LT, just to make the Team more competitive and keep fans in the seats....I am all for that.

    BTW....if there is no intention to move Scola to improve the Team.....then I don't see any point to go after a low end scorer like Jordan Crawford/Hamilton....I'd rather give all the SF Wing Minutes to Solo, Rudez and even Copeland.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-06-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  35. #49
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,424

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    That is kind of my point about being championship contender. It simply isn't going to happen unless Bird pulls off some miracle. So what is the point of adding someone who won't help this team long term in Marion? If you aren't a championship contender you don't bring in players who you do not plan on keeping around just to have a slightly better record. Fans you say? There isn't going to be a mass exodus of fans, we aren't going to go back to JOB era attendance. If we don't make any drastic changes as long as the players we do have play hard and do their best the vast majority of fans are still going to support the team. People are not stupid, and people like to show their support when something extreme happens like a major injury to your best player. The drop off in attendance will be relatively small. Even if for some reason fans don't show up, they will be back the next season (probably in greater numbers) to see the return of Paul.

    From a business perspective anything except staying the course, and acting as if Paul is healthy is a bad decision. There is nothing to gain from acting lke you have to blow it up, and especially nothing to gain by bringing in short term fillers just to win 45 games instead of 42.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  37. #50
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,276

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

    I guess we will agree to disagree.

    I have no problem making an IMHO short term move that would improve the Team's chances of making the Playoffs that won't hurt this team from a Salary Cap and LT POV while not losing any actual assets.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •