Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

The Pacers will be getting a $5.305 million exception to sign a player to a one year contract or acquire a player via trade who has one year left on his contract. I've seen some mentions about who the Pacers can get, so I thought I'd give you the complete list of players who the Pacers could theoretically trade for. Some the Pacers won't want, some other teams won't give up. I'll let everyone else have that discussion. I'm just providing a list.

DeMarre Carroll, Atlanta
    Joel Anthony, Boston
    Andrei Kirilenko, Brooklyn
    Gary Neal, Charlotte
    Jeffrey Taylor, Charlotte
    Mike Dunleavy, Chicago
    Tristan Thompson, Cleveland
    John Lucas, Cleveland
    Brendan Wright, Dallas
    Jae Crowder, Dallas
    Darrell Arthur, Denver
    Nate Robinson, Denver
    Quincy Miller, Denver
    Jonas Jerebko, Detroit
    Will Bynum, Detroit
    Gigi Datome, Detroit
    Kyle Singler, Detroit
    Klay Thompson, Golden State
    Draymond Green, Golden State
    Patrick Beverley, Houston
    Kosta Koufos, Memphis
    Norris Cole, Miami
    Brandon Knight, Milwaukee
    Khris Middleton, Milwaukee
    Jose Juan Barea, Minnesota
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Minnesota
    Ronny Turiaf, Minnesota
    Nick Collison, Oklahoma City
    Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City
    Nikola Vucevic, Orlando
    Tobias Harris, Orlando
    Kyle O'Quinn, Orlando
    Gerald Green, Phoenix
    Markieff Morris, Phoenix
    Marcus Morris, Phoenix
    Joel Freeland, Portland
    Victor Claver, Portland
    Will Barton, Portland
    Travis Outlaw, Sacramento
    Reggie Evans, Sacramento
    Quincy Acy, Sacramento
    Danny Green, San Antonio
    Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio
    Marco Belinelli, San Antonio
    Cory Joseph, San Antonio
    Jeff Ayres, San Antonio
    Tyler Hansbrough, Toronto
    Alec Burks, Utah
    Jeremy Evans, Utah
    Andre Miller, Washington
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: List of players Pacers can trade for with Disabled Player Exception

Not sure I see anybody I would want that would be realistic.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't former Mav Shawn Marion make a bit of sense? He is looking for the MLE and still hasn't signed on with any team.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MavsFanForLife For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsFanForLife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't former Mav Shawn Marion make a bit of sense? He is looking for the MLE and still hasn't signed on with any team.
    Of course. That's why his name has popped up in like 3 different threads (Not that it's your fault that you don't track all the threads here.)

We're still very close to the tax though, so to give Marion anywhere near $5m we'd need to waive all 3 of Scola, Sloan, and Whittington and go into the season with 13 players only on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsFanForLife View Post
    He wants a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Of course. That's why his name has popped up in like 3 different threads (Not that it's your fault that you don't track all the threads here.)

We're still very close to the tax though, so to give Marion anywhere near $5m we'd need to waive all 3 of Scola, Sloan, and Whittington and go into the season with 13 players only on the roster.
    Does the exception count against the cap?

Mood

Yes it counts against the cap

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Does the exception count against the cap?
    Count against the tax you mean? Yes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My criteria for adding a player would be to get a young guy who we believe could be a building block for the future. Personally I am not too interested in guys like Marion seeing that we are not a contender for this upcoming season.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Count against the tax you mean? Yes.
    If it counts against the cap then it also counts against the tax...

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Because it counts against the tax, it probably has a 0% chance of happening.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Because it counts against the tax, it probably has a 0% chance of happening.
    If PG is out all year, doesn't his salary come off the cap/tax calculation?

It would seem to me, then, we're not hampered by that, because the exception contract goes away if PG returns early. Tax is calculated at the end of the season, and this is also an exception to the MLE "hard cap".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

It would seem to me, then, we're not hampered by that, because the exception contract goes away if PG returns early. Tax is calculated at the end of the season, and this is also an exception to the MLE "hard cap".
    I know they get 80% of Paul's salary back if he misses 42 games or more. Paul gets his money, it's just insurance pays.

I don't think that affects cap/tax at all though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Sports Logo

I'm assuming that PG24 doesn't count as one of the 13 that MUST be on the roster?

Assuming we let Sloan and Scola go ( cuz they are unguaranteed ), we'd have 13 Players at $71.9 mil. That would give us about $5 mil to make an offer to Marion.

If this is an option....I think the Pacers should pursue it. At this point, I think that we have to use ever bit of CapSpace to make up for what we lost. IMHO....Scola is a luxury that I am okay with not paying. Marion isn't great...nor would he make up for whatever we lost from PG24....but he is IMHO more serviceable than Scola is.
    Last edited by CableKC; 08-02-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    My criteria for adding a player would be to get a young guy who we believe could be a building block for the future. Personally I am not too interested in guys like Marion seeing that we are not a contender for this upcoming season.
    This Disabled Player Exception ONLY allows for the trade or signing of a Player on a 1 year Deal. We can't use it to go after a Player and sign/trade him for a Contract lasting longer than 1 year. At worst, you'd have his Bird Rights or something for signing a 1 year Player as a UFA.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I really would like some confirmation of this. I'd think that PG24's 2014-2015 Salary would count against the Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I really would like some confirmation of this. I'd think that PG24's 2014-2015 Salary would count against the Cap.
    It does. But insurance pays 80% of his salary, so only 20% of his salary comes out of Herb Simon's pocket.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    It does. But insurance pays 80% of his salary, so only 20% of his salary comes out of Herb Simon's pocket.
    There's a thing about if a player doesn't play for a year after an injury that there's cap relief. The problem is I can't remember the exact details and I also am wondering how it is affected by the fact that the injury was well after the LT calculation point.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I think it's more like "if he's never going to play again" like that Blazers player.
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

i wish i knew but the salary issues are something of a mystery to me as i never keep up with all the changes from cba to each new cba.
    i was wondering though, shouldn't insurance pick up the tab for his salary this year since his season is pretty much 100% toast?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    I think it's more like "if he's never going to play again" like that Blazers player.
    Which one?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't mind the Morris twins. Marcus really came into his own last year
    David "And One" West

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

What would be the point? As a fan, with your best player done and your second best player signing elsewhere, I'm now hoping for a high lottery pick. If this team claws and fights its way for a playoff spot, they are only hurting themselves in the long run. Even if this team gets max efforts from Hill and Hibbert, they are not winning a series in the playoffs.

Best to get a high lottery pick. I'm hoping Bird trades players for picks by the trade deadline.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Which one?
    Darius Miles. I remember the Blazers tried to pressure other teams to not sign him so that his cap hit wouldn't go back to counting against them or something like that.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I doubt Orlando would ever give up Tobias Harris, but he would be an incredible asset if he managed to stay healthy this year.

Realistically, I like Quincy Miller from the Nuggets. He's just turning 22 this fall and has some really good athleticism and potential, IMO.